HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers 1st round playoff matchup..

View Poll Results: Flyers 1st round playoff matchup..
Pittsburgh Penguins 21 42.86%
New Jersey Devils 22 44.90%
Washington Capitals 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Flyers 1st round playoff matchup..

What 1st round playoff matchup (out of those 3) would you like to see and why?

(Assuming we'll make playoffs..)

My choice was Pittsburgh. If we can beat them we can actually go as far as SC finals.

..last year Pittsburgh can be this year Washington??

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
duffy9748

I think we can take NJ in six games.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Mike Richards 18

id say new jersey. we are better then them. we would have to beat them all but getting the easier team to get us flowing and confident in the post season. idk if we can beat washington thou this year. they look really solid they are my favorites for the cup.

if we pick up Kovy could definitely boost our chances having a game changer like that

Hartnell, Coburn, Nodl, Ratchuk 4th 10 3rd 11 possibly Gagne or Briere

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
id say new jersey. we are better then them. we would have to beat them all but getting the easier team to get us flowing and confident in the post season. idk if we can beat washington thou this year. they look really solid they are my favorites for the cup.

if we pick up Kovy could definitely boost our chances having a game changer like that

Ratchuk isnt on the Flyers anymore....And I dont think destroying our whole team is the best way to go. Kovy is good but not worth losing 4 players and draft picks for.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
BringBackStevens

Washington.

And why in the world are people voting that they want to match up against the Devs.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I would say New Jersey. But I am sure the players would love a crack at Pittsburgh again in round 1.
I want no part of Washington right now. they are killing everyone.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
NJ, this year we have played pretty well against them. We havent played well against the other two.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Washington.

And why in the world are people voting that they want to match up against the Devs.
Being honest, nothing agaisnt your pick, but we havent done good at all against the caps this season

6-5 OT win
4-2 loss
8-2 loss
5-3 loss

Against the Devils, we have done alittle better with

5-2 win
3-2 win
4-1 loss

Im more confortable playing Broduer and Parise then trying to stop OV, Semin, Backstrom, and Green. Washington is scary right now. I want to part of them.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Teezax

Where's Buffalo in the mix?
I'd go with the team with the unproven goalie.
Washington

I think we can expose their D.
It'd be scary as hell to draw em in the first rd, but the Eastern Conference reps will have to go through them at some point i'd think.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I kind of want to say Pitt just because I think our best might be better than their best and Fleury has been incredibly inconsistent, but the risk of losing that series is incredibly painful.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Third time's a charm!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

The winner of the Northeast Division would get my vote.

Pittsburgh matches up well, except for the collective mental block that seems to linger over the Flyers. Hopefully the veteran additions will get the team over the hump should a third straight playoff encounter occur, but they know how to win tough series and they're the defending champs; they'll be a tough opponent.

The Caps are all fire power all the time; an up-tempo game would be to their advantage and I think that they're the worst match for the Flyers in a 7 game series.

The Devils still play a great team game, centred around a goalie who knows what it takes to win in the playoffs... even if his last couple playoff performances have left something to be desired. I think the Flyers could beat the Devils, but I'd rather Philly play them in a later round, if necessary.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I kind of want to say Pitt just because I think our best might be better than their best and Fleury has been incredibly inconsistent, but the risk of losing that series is incredibly painful.
Yea but Fluery may steal the series as well. Plus when we play the Pens its an all out war. Id rather play a calmer first round. The Devils get hot every year and then cool down before or in the playoffs. The same thing is happening this year. I want them. No matter who wins it there are some quality teams at the top. Washington really has no reason to lose IMO. Their D is weak but we all saw that getting on Green may get you a few goals but he can those back pretty fast. They looked beatable when we played them so who knows...

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post

LOL

thank god you're not the GM

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
dookie88

I have the feeling that the Flyers have to win an emotional first series to go deep.
The momentum and confidence gained in such a series is invaluable.
Therefore I want the Pens or the Caps. Get by them and you can get by anyone.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:20 PM
McNasty

New Jersey. Brodeur has struggled the past few years in the playoffs, and if he starts the olympics its just another few games tacked on to the schedule.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If this playoffs started today, wouldn't we play Buffalo?

I don't want to play Washington right now at least. Their offensive is exploding, much like ours last season. However, they may die out soon.

Pitt has our number in the playoffs.

NJ we've played good against this year. Plus we have been scoring first a lot since Lavy took over. That's the key for the Debs. Score first and keep adding, take them out of their trap game.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:36 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I said Penguins though I'm kind of torn, on the one hand I really want the Flyers to beat the Penguins in the playoffs. If we could get there I feel that the best way to go is to go through the best teams- well at least one of them, all of them might be taking it too far. However, on the other hand I'm afraid meeting the Penguins in the first round means another first round exit.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:57 PM
XS Chop

Think we have a chance against anybody, all three of those teams scare me though. Have to say putting the Pens down in the first round would be a dream come true, the reaction of their "fans" would be priceless. No matter what happens afterwards they would supply comic relief throughout the entire post and off season. Especially if Pronger finds a way to throw Crosby around a little bit.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I said Penguins though I'm kind of torn, on the one hand I really want the Flyers to beat the Penguins in the playoffs. If we could get there I feel that the best way to go is to go through the best teams- well at least one of them, all of them might be taking it too far. However, on the other hand I'm afraid meeting the Penguins in the first round means another first round exit.
I honestly think a victory over the Pens in the first round means we carry pretty far in the playoffs. Not only because I believe if we beat them we can beat anybody, but I'm sure it would give the team a collective jump start that would make them feel pretty good. I am however hesitant, not only because of what you said with yet another first round effort, but because I would think at this point the Pens are probably in their heads. After getting knocked out by them two years in a row, then getting pretty much manhandled by them this season, I could see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Think we have a chance against anybody, all three of those teams scare me though. Have to say putting the Pens down in the first round would be a dream come true, the reaction of their "fans" would be priceless. No matter what happens afterwards they would supply comic relief throughout the entire post and off season. Especially if Pronger finds a way to throw Crosby around a little bit.
Dittoes. Even if we got swept in the second round, while I would still be very disappointed, I would just love the satisfaction of having their fans see how it feels for once.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
True, the real truth is who do the top teams want to play, I wouldn't think the Flyers are on anybody's list save maybe the penguins.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
True, the real truth is who do the top teams want to play, I wouldn't think the Flyers are on anybody's list save maybe the penguins.
I think the Pens can actually be grouped into that. Regardless of whether they think they can beat us, I'm sure any team knows it'll be a battle. Most of the fans on here have actually admitted to it too.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:25 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I think the Pens can actually be grouped into that. Regardless of whether they think they can beat us, I'm sure any team knows it'll be a battle. Most of the fans on here have actually admitted to it too.
As a lurking Pens fan, I'll say it's definitely true. Your club is tough and nasty and even if you lose, you guys will probably do some damage to whoever you face in that first round.

I will say that, of the clubs we're most likely to face, Flyers probably match up the best with the Pens as far as style of play and emotions. As they say in boxing, styles make fights.

New Jersey is definitely beatable for you guys, though. Actually, as your club stands, I wouldn't count anyone in the East as unbeatable. Washington would be a very interesting series, if you can contain Ovechkin and Backstrom. I'd love to see you guys pound on Green for a bit.

HandshakeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:30 PM
IrishSniper87

The Flyers could be facing Tiger Woods on the front 9 when the playoffs are happening if they don't shape up.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
LOL

thank god you're not the GM
Did someone just suggest trading Ratchuk? No way, I just don't see Howson doing that!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote