HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cam Fowler

Old
01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
voucher101

vCash: 500
Cam Fowler

What do you guys think of this kid? I wouldn't mind seeing him suit up for the copper n blue next year to replace gilbert, souray, or staios. From what I hear hes not overly physical but a solid presence defensively. He's not scoring much but if hes got a decent shot then he could change that up. Thoughts/Info/Opinions?

voucher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Joe Hallenback

Fantastic player. All world skater with really good offensive instincts. Has that pro size at 6'3 and will fill out some more. Underated defender. Not going to smash people but is sound defensively. Could be like a Jay Bouwmeester type of player if your looking at what type of player he could project to

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Tyrolean

The Oilers will have the #1 or #2 pick so they will be pressured to pick Hall or Seguin.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Spitfire14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
The Oilers will have the #1 or #2 pick so they will be pressured to pick Hall or Seguin.
Right now Edmonton is in last place so if stays like that , they are guarenteed one of first two picks. Say , Carolina does finish last. and Columbus wins the lottery. Now all of a sudden Columbus has first overall pick, Carolina has 2nd and Edmonton has 3rd.

Or Edmonton could go on a winning streak. Wait, that wouldn't happen.

I hope Edmonton has 1st pick, but it's not a for sure yet.

Cam Fowler, the only knock I have on him is his lack of physical play. That is okay because he is one of the fastest skaters in the OHL so he always can make it back to position. He makes a great first pass, he also can rush the puck. Smooth skater.
He is great defensively. He is a pass first player, he doesn't like to shoot. He does have a rocket of a shot, just seems scared to use it so I guess that's another knock. I guess when he has Hall, Nemisz, and Henrique up front he sees no reason to shoot when he has confidence in one of them burying it.

He rarely makes mistakes.

Spitfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
stoff

with that description he sounds almost like a duncan keith type defenseman. I mean that he can skate his way out of trouble, not overly physical and great offensively. Is that fair?

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:20 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I could easily see Toronto finishing with a worse record than us when it's all said and done. I could just as easily see one of the 3rd-7th teams (draft order) win the lottery.

We don't have to have 2 teams pass us to pick 3rd and end up with Fowler. Of course, there's worse things that can happen than drafting Cam Fowler.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Fantastic player. All world skater with really good offensive instincts. Has that pro size at 6'3 and will fill out some more. Underated defender. Not going to smash people but is sound defensively. Could be like a Jay Bouwmeester type of player if your looking at what type of player he could project to
That's a great comparable, I don't think I've heard anyone project him or his playing style yet so this is good.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
DousedInOil

I think having an "elite" defenceman in this NHL isn't as important as it used to be. Offence has become a big part of the game. Look at some of the "elite dmen" and see what team they are on now. Lets take a look at last years top 10 defencemen (in scoring).

Dan Boyle- San Jose (1st in the west)
Mike Green- Washington (1st in the East)
Brian Campbell- Chicago (2nd in the west)

Chris Pronger- Philly (6th place in the east)
Shea Weber- Nashville (7th in the west)
Dion Phaneuf- Calgary (8th in the west)
Andrei Markov- Montreal (8th in the east)
Niklas Kronwall- Detroit (9th in the west)
Nicklas Lidstrom- Detroit (9th in the west)
Brian Rafalski- Detroit (9th in the west)
Zdeno Chara- Boston (10th in the west)
Dennis Wideman- Boston (10th in the west)
Scott Niedermayer- Anaheim (12th in the west)
Mark Streit- Islanders (13th in the east)
Sheldon Souray- Edmonton (15th in the west)

It seems teams rather spread their money on a well balanced puck moving core than having an elite defenceman. Look at the difference between last year and this year even. The only 3 dmen to bring their team into the top are Boyle, Green and Campbell. Even at that campbell wasnt the reason chicago is doing so well.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 989
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
When I think of Fowler, I immediately think of Petry. Then I imagine either Hall or Seguin putting on the Oiler jersey at the draft.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote