HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire on TEAM 990

Old
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Here a short list for the GM job that i would like:

-Pierre Mcguire
-Dale Tallon
-Patrick Roy
What a terrible list!

The Hawks are stuck with Campbell at 7.5 mil a season and Huet at 5.5 when he knew that he had young players coming in and that in a distant the Hawks would need the cap space to keep them, not to mention he almost lost all of his RFA's to free agency because he can't do the paper work correctly

As for Roy, why would he make a great GM? His work ethic has nothing to do behind a desk job.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
why does everyone want sportscasters to be GM's?
Posted via Mobile Device
Because people mostly know tv personalities and recently retired players. Few people can name assistant GMs or high profile scouts for other teams looking to break into the GM game.

And I'm not saying this like I know any either. If you asked me who a potential GM was I'd be hard-pressed to name anyone other than McGuire and Steve Yzerman. But they're out there somewhere.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

Where did this idea of him as GM come from? I this just fan's ideas and wishes and snowballed into something that people think will actually happen. Or does this stem from the organization hinting at something? Because all I ever hear is Pierre gm this Pierre gm that. Other than seeing him on TV and knowing he knows a lot about talent and stuff, is there any indication he would know how to run a team? Maybe he could be a scout or something. What is his background before TSN?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-28-2010 at 05:27 PM.
HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
What a terrible list!

The Hawks are stuck with Campbell at 7.5 mil a season and Huet at 5.5 when he knew that he had young players coming in and that in a distant the Hawks would need the cap space to keep them, not to mention he almost lost all of his RFA's to free agency because he can't do the paper work correctly

As for Roy, why would he make a great GM? His work ethic has nothing to do behind a desk job.
I bet you love Gainey?

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
why does everyone want sportscasters to be GM's?
Posted via Mobile Device
he's an ex-player and coach.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Habs

Quote:
What a terrible list!

Are you really bashing Dale Tallon?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

so tsn must be better than working for a team, or he must not be very good.
Posted via Mobile Device

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
PacoXIII

Can anyone explain to me WHY they think this guy would be a good GM?

I might sound ignorant if in fact there are valid reasons... but please point them out.

PacoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:15 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
That is because he did the Edmonton/Chicago game the night before in Edmonton and the Montreal/Tampa Bay game was assigned to the other NHL on TSN tandem because they have two tandems now.

This is a non-issue!
Maybe he chose to do the Chicago-Edmonton game instead of the Habs game because he wanted to avoid a conflict of interest... I'm speculating of course.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

and the brainwashing continues.......

You ask anybody who's JOB it is to follow teams and players etc to comment on the team, they will all have the answers. Of course he makes sense when he speaks, he is playing to what people want to hear.

Be more agressive! score more goals!

He is an amazing after the fact GM.

And that posturing he does on the Melynk show is classic. "Ohh i cant talk about that- its no fair. I dont wanna comment.."

This guy is a classic and anyone who wants this man as GM will be sorely, sorely disappointed ifit ever happens. He is a joke.

He says what I want to hear, understands hockey and isnt Gainey....there is the GM criteria for most habs fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Maybe he chose to do the Chicago-Edmonton game instead of the Habs game because he wanted to avoid a conflict of interest... I'm speculating of course.
he did the blues game last week?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-28-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Merge
Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Here a short list for the GM job that i would like:

-Pierre Mcguire
-Dale Tallon
-Patrick Roy
I actually agree with this list. I would extend Gainey for 2 years and give Paddy and Pierre Assistant GM positions and let Gainey pick his predecessor. I think that would be a sick management team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
Pierre for GM? I'm 70% for it.

Bob should be bumped up to the higher ranks, he has wisdom and knowledge.

Patty Roy would be good too but I'm afraid he wouldn't be a good judge of talent.
People confuse his ego with his natural talent and his love for the game. Goalies are analysts on TV right now for a reason, its because they are far better judges of talent than players, because they have watched the game from a different perspective than players.

Plus he build a Memorial Cup winning team as a GM, how is that not a good judge of talent.

Quote:
What a terrible list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Is it true that Talon didn't really want to sign Cambell? That his hand was forced by the suits above?

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Shabutie

I don't understand why so many people are against Pierre being a GM. Do people think it can get much worse than Gainey? I think Gainey is at most an average GM, and believe that Pierre would be at least an average GM...

I'm also sure he has a number of great contacts for scouting and such.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Oh yes i am, Tallon has nothing to do with who Chicago drafts or there development, except hiring the right people for the job, his signings have been brutal for the last couple of years. + what i mentioned in the other post.

Old
01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I don't understand why so many people are against Pierre being a GM. Do people think it can get much worse than Gainey? I think Gainey is at most an average GM, and believe that Pierre would be at least an average GM...

I thought McGuire was a stupid pick til I started to listen to him on Melnick. I like the way he thinks, very progressive, he knows ppl, he knows young players, etc. I wouldn't be against it. I also agree on Talon.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
How is he on Habs TSN telecasts?
I noticed last game the 1st period he was hard on the team(as usual especially gomez) but by the end of the game he was quite positive so yeah hes much easier on this team then he used too be and I think he kinda caught himself last time they played on TSN.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Oh yes i am, Tallon has nothing to do with who Chicago drafts or there development, except hiring the right people for the job, his signings have been brutal for the last couple of years. + what i mentioned in the other post.
How is this different from what Gainey has done? The biggest difference is that Tallon has either corrected his mistakes or has made it work. Campbell may be overpaid but he's a tremendous asset to Chicago's transition game. Tallon has also made the small signings like Madden that matter.

Look at the team that Gainey has assembled, the biggest issue I have is on D. We have 1 guy who can move the puck...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I agree, he would be a good candidate for the next GM. He knows young players and he has a lot of contacts.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
JackZap

Quote:
well Talon would be 1 up on Gainey then. Choosing the right ppl is key when u hold important positions. Seems Gainey hasnt managed to hire the right ppl except for Boucher (hoping)

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
felixd

Quote:
You'd be wrong. During the whole Tallon Firing/Bowman hiring media mess, it was made public that McDonagh, the Hawks president mandated those signings so that the Hawks would make a "splash". If you look at Tallon's trades and drafting record, he has done very well with Chiacgo. He might be my favorite candidate to replace Gainey if that situation occurs.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:46 PM
coolasprICE

Mcguire denied to reveal what his conversation about Molson was about, because 1 or more of the following reasons:

1. He is trying to make us think it was negative (Molson being unhappy with player personnel and management).

2. He is implying that he has a tight relationship with Molson, to the point where Molson confides to him under "confidentiality" about the teams problems and issues.

3. Even if Molson told Mcguire " Bob's job is safe" , he wouldn't tell anyone .... because of course - he want's that job.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
I noticed last game the 1st period he was hard on the team(as usual especially gomez) but by the end of the game he was quite positive so yeah hes much easier on this team then he used too be and I think he kinda caught himself last time they played on TSN.
Personally i think he's only hard on the team because he desperately wants them to be better.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
larek

Quote:

becaus ethey are gainey hypnotized- God i will be glad when he is gone and fans will get back to half normal with their thinking- his time as hab gm = average to below average GM-- which matches the current edition of the HABS

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Personally i think he's only hard on the team because he desperately wants them to be better.
I agree.

My dad is one of the biggest Habs fans I know, and he's absolutely brutal on their recent teams.

He's been deriding Gainey for ages, and never lets up on the Gomez trade. I tend to take the opposite position when talking with him just to keep the mood during hockey games somewhat positive (when we get a chance to watch them together).

I think that the last 10 to 12 years or so of Habs teams have been brutally hard to swallow for many Habs fans who watched them in the 70s, or even in the 80s, my dad being one of them.

I don't know how old Pierre is, but he's probably old enough to have watched those teams, and remember just how spectacularly awesome those 70s Habs were.

Anyway, my view on Pierre is this... I think he has great ideas about the sort of coaching and player movement that the Habs need. However, getting there is the hard part, and while I'm confidant that Pierre would know the right players to target for trades and free agent signings, I'm less confidant that he'd know who to give up to make room for them and/or in order to acquire them in trade.

Still... I think that Pierre could do a good job.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
I agree.

My dad is one of the biggest Habs fans I know, and he's absolutely brutal on their recent teams.

He's been deriding Gainey for ages, and never lets up on the Gomez trade. I tend to take the opposite position when talking with him just to keep the mood during hockey games somewhat positive (when we get a chance to watch them together).

I think that the last 10 to 12 years or so of Habs teams have been brutally hard to swallow for many Habs fans who watched them in the 70s, or even in the 80s, my dad being one of them.

I don't know how old Pierre is, but he's probably old enough to have watched those teams, and remember just how spectacularly awesome those 70s Habs were.

Anyway, my view on Pierre is this... I think he has great ideas about the sort of coaching and player movement that the Habs need. However, getting there is the hard part, and while I'm confidant that Pierre would know the right players to target for trades and free agent signings, I'm less confidant that he'd know who to give up to make room for them and/or in order to acquire them in trade.

Still... I think that Pierre could do a good job.
he couldnt do any worse and maybe he could do better
there is life after Gainey--- time will keep going even after Gainey and he will be nothing but a memory

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
How is this different from what Gainey has done? The biggest difference is that Tallon has either corrected his mistakes or has made it work. Campbell may be overpaid but he's a tremendous asset to Chicago's transition game. Tallon has also made the small signings like Madden that matter.

Look at the team that Gainey has assembled, the biggest issue I have is on D. We have 1 guy who can move the puck...
The difference is that Tallon had a "core"to build around, Toews, Kane, Seabrook and Keith. Gainey has to live with "what if's" every season. The only thing Tallon had to do is add the missing pieces to have a stanley cup team, Gainey had to make his team from the ground up with up and down players like Koivu and Kovalev and 0 worthwhile prospect except Komisarek and Perezhogin. How Tallon could give such ridiculous contracts to Campbell and Huet knowing he had a bunch of players who would someday win a lot of money is beyond me.