HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top Six on Defense (pretty long thread)

Old
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
According to Brian Burke, Callahan and Drury are good enough to make Team USA... I would think anyone making Team USA can play as a top 6 player in the NHL... No? Avery maybe the only question but he is not a bad choice if need be.. But having a superstar in Gaborik might offset having Avery and as possible questionable 2nd liner...

They're on the team to PK and probably play on the fourth line.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:13 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre drinking the kool-aid man, you really are.

2 of our defensemen look promising (Staal and Del Zotto)

2 are soft as cotton candy and have serious deficiencies in their games (Girardi and Gilroy)

2 are massively overpaid and crippling this teams cap situation...1 serviceable (Roszival) and 1 thats bad (Redden).

If you look around the NHL, you'll see that this situation is certainly not "very good"
Funny with the Kool-Aid... I am kind of in the middle here.. The Rangers top 6 defenseman can all play in the NHL.. Some teams in the NHL cannot say this... However, the dude in the beginning post is somewhat optimistic... The way it was written, he made it look like the Rangers have a top 6 of Potential Hall of Famers!!

Here is my take:

Staal: can play on any teams top 4 (perhaps top 2 on most teams)

DZ: Is an NHL defenseman now, and will only get better and better...

Rozy- Is a quality NHL defenseman who can probably be a top 4 on
most of the NHL teams. He does have some weaknesses, but most every NHL team will have some players on the top 4 with some type of weakness...

Girardi- Is a solid NHL defenseman that could make any NHL team's top 6..

Redden- same as Girardi... Is a solid NHL defenseman that could make any NHL team's top 6... Redden's +/- this is actually not bad.. The salary is the big issue here

Gilroy- Not sure about.. He does have flashes but he is a rookie right now.

Overall... not a bad top 6 in my opinion

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Issues with the bolded parts.

1) San Jose w/ Blake and Boyle? Chicago with Keith and Seabrook? Flyers w/ Pronger and Timmonen? Nashville with Weber and Suter? Questionable...

2) No, he doesn't. Further, he rarely gets it through, which is more of a problem than his power.

3) OF COURSE! But let's be realistic.

4) No. Not with his speed (or lack thereof). Could he keep up with Chicago and San Jose's pace? Nope.

5) Are we watching the same player?

6) Wikipedia and stats aside, they're really not. Yes, as a team our defense ranks well, but it's ranked higher. The one constant? Henrik. The scoring chances our defense gives up are much more telling than the number goals. Quite often, they're clueless in our zone.
Redden is a top 6 NHL defensemen on any team...even Chicago and San Jose. The problem obviously, is that he makes top pair defenseman money, which he is not.

Last edited by Scooter17: 01-28-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Scooter17

I agree that overall, the ability of our defensemen is better than most NHL teams. The problem is that our offense can't score. Therefore we should be playing some kind of trap. If we were playing Renney or Devils style hockey I think we would be doing much better...unfortunately that style of play is boring and I can't see Tortorella implementing that kind of system.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:40 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
Redden is a top 6 NHL defensemen. The problem obviously, is that he makes top pair defenseman money, which he is not.
Never said he wasn't. I just said he wouldn't be able to play on any team in the NHL. Would he have a job? Of course. But in Chicago, for example, I think the battle would be for a #6 spot with Brent Sopel. Barker, Seabrook, Keith, Campbell, and Hljarmarsson are all ahead of him, IMO. Not so certain.

San Jose, with Blake, Boyle, Murray, and Vlasic? He'd certainly be 3rd pairing, if they kept him.

Detroit, with Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski, Ericsson, Stuart?

There'll always be teams with weak defenses overall. But I was just disagreeing with the OP, who I thought over-valued our D-corps by a mile.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote