HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Your "I Hate the Ref" Moments

Old
01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
The problem I have is that by telling my friend that he should have been wearing a cage, the ref was acknowledging that the high-stick occurred and putting the blame for it on the victim.

The problem you have is that your friend was bleeding and to you that is justification enough for the highsticking call. The only thing the ref is guilty of is poor judgement for making a comment like that, it only causes bad feelings at a time when tempers are elevated.

As for you reffing, I would have thought you would a better grasp of the ref's side, but all you do is side with your emotion.

Gino 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Playing minor league Midget rep and when you could still fight there. No birdcages or visors either.

I had a serious rep as a fighter. There was a scrum I skated into and the refs/linesmen were already there. I dropped my gloves, squared off with a guy and both linesmen grabbed me and left the other guy untouched. Both guys had my arms pinned and I took a shot right to the nose and suffered the only bleeding nose of my life.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 12:57 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

A week or so ago I had a goal disallowed for a kicking motion in front of the crease while the goalie was down. Yeah, I did kick the puck...to my stick, and then I roofed it so the ref would know I didn't kick it in.

Oh well, no biggie.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:00 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Playing minor league Midget rep and when you could still fight there. No birdcages or visors either.

I had a serious rep as a fighter. There was a scrum I skated into and the refs/linesmen were already there. I dropped my gloves, squared off with a guy and both linesmen grabbed me and left the other guy untouched. Both guys had my arms pinned and I took a shot right to the nose and suffered the only bleeding nose of my life.

How long ago was that?

I know Hockey Canada made it mandatory in like 1980 for all registered participants, my area made it mandatory around '72 or '73ish. (birdies only, visors are not allowed in midget, even midgets in Jr (affiliates) have to wear full face)

Oh, you can still fight in midget, you will just have to suck up the ejection and 1 game suspension. I think these days you can fight up to 6 times before you sit for the season.

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 01-25-2010 at 01:23 PM.
CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll also add probably 90-95% of games I play are very well reffed. I love the in-game commentary they add too

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll also add probably 90-95% of games I play are very well reffed. I love the in-game commentary they add too
I've generally had good experiences with refs as well. Over the years, I've seen quite a few questionable calls, and even more blatant non-calls, but they go both ways, so at the end of the day they usually balance out. The refs in my beer league aren't particularly good, but they're nice guys for the most part and they're doing a really tough job, so I don't take anything personally.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
The problem you have is that your friend was bleeding and to you that is justification enough for the highsticking call. The only thing the ref is guilty of is poor judgement for making a comment like that, it only causes bad feelings at a time when tempers are elevated.

As for you reffing, I would have thought you would a better grasp of the ref's side, but all you do is side with your emotion.
I'm fairly certain that is exactly the point I made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27
Had he said "listen man, I'm sorry but I didn't see the high-stick" there would be no issue.
Man, I better get my emotions under control.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
How long ago was that?

I know Hockey Canada made it mandatory in like 1980 for all registered participants, my area made it mandatory around '72 or '73ish. (birdies only, visors are not allowed in midget, even midgets in Jr (affiliates) have to wear full face)

Oh, you can still fight in midget, you will just have to suck up the ejection and 1 game suspension. I think these days you can fight up to 6 times before you sit for the season.
Mid to late 70's

A mouthguard was required, either the old type that actually covered the mouth, or the ones I used at the time that are still used today in hockey, boxing, MMA, etc. Birdcages were never required at least up until 1978 or so, and possibly much later. I also remember as a young kid watching tier 1 junior A in the early 70's, (New Westminster Bruins, Victoria Cougars) and they didn't even have to wear helmets, and many of them didn't.

Old
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Mid to late 70's

A mouthguard was required, either the old type that actually covered the mouth, or the ones I used at the time that are still used today in hockey, boxing, MMA, etc. Birdcages were never required at least up until 1978 or so, and possibly much later. I also remember as a young kid watching tier 1 junior A in the early 70's, (New Westminster Bruins, Victoria Cougars) and they didn't even have to wear helmets, and many of them didn't.
wow, thats old school. I started the minor system in '86

Old
01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
wow, thats old school. I started the minor system in '86
And I can't help but think that all the added protection that the kids wear today makes them more careless when it comes to their opponents.

I understand that medicine is more advanced now, but you just never saw the degree of headshots and concussions back then that you see today.

Plus I fought all the time, and no one got seriously hurt. We imitated the big boys in the NHL as best we could. Now, when they get to the NHL and the equipment restrictions are lifted the result is a lot more injuries. If I had kids of my own I would prefer they play without all that extra garbage, although I do think that Kevlar neck protection should be mandatory in all leagues..

Old
01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I'm fairly certain that is exactly the point I made.
Quote:
The problem I have is that by telling my friend that he should have been wearing a cage, the ref was acknowledging that the high-stick occurred and putting the blame for it on the victim.
No, that was the point you made. You're saying that the ref saw the penalty and made a conscious decision not to call it. Your words, not mine.

Old
01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
iceman_88888888

i usually don't have a problem with refs up until this year. i play in a beer league and we've got a ref playing on a team in our div so guess how the results usually go? whoever plays against his team gets garbage call after garbage call go against them. and when this ref is reffing against a team that's in second place? that team gets garbage call after garbage call against them.

we're playing these guys and we're getting run hard into the boards and in open ice (no-hit league) and nothing happens. we push a guy over who's standing in our goalie's crease and we get a roughing call. when we played the 2nd place team, we were losing to them 7-6 and this ref decides to call a few bs calls on them so we can tie the game and then win the game with another 5-on-3 pp goal. nice to win but when we win cuz of the refs, it's kinda empty.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Said in another thread. I got hauled down on two breakaways, nothing and and we ended up losing that game in the 3rd overtime.

I got right smoked from behind into the boards. The other team went down and scored. Though, the horn had gone and we still won.

Another time, I was playing d, fell and the other guy got a breakaway, but I was right behind him. He ran it off the crossbar, so I turned and just shot it down the ice. The ref says it went in when he wasn,t even close.

The other one I remember. I got 2 and 10 (almost another 10 and kicked out of an away tournament in the first game) for a "check to the head". It's basically Pronger physics. The guy was smaller than me, and he went down holding his arm, but apparently I hit him in the head ?

Next time a team is taking cheapshots and running your team, set yourself up to get smoked, then just duck, let that guy go flying over you, then sucker punch the next closest guy on the other team. Well, it's not really a sucker punch as he will be coming for you anyways.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Canadian91

Yesterday, in my Midget league game.. the game that was being played before us ended early, and our coach was unaware of it. When we went on the ice--even though there was still 5 minutes until the game was due to start--the ref didn't let us get a warm-up 'cause they and the other team decided to get on the ice waaay too early.

The team we were playing scored about 30 seconds into the game because of that..... it was the winning goal.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Yesterday, in my Midget league game.. the game that was being played before us ended early, and our coach was unaware of it. When we went on the ice--even though there was still 5 minutes until the game was due to start--the ref didn't let us get a warm-up 'cause they and the other team decided to get on the ice waaay too early.

The team we were playing scored about 30 seconds into the game because of that..... it was the winning goal.
From my experience, that's your fault. Your coach, or someone on your teams hould always be aware of how the tournament is running.

If it's not a tournament, but a league game and say it was suppose to start at 7, then it starts at 7 and if the ref makes the game start earlier, report him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:45 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
First time we tied a crappy team we shouldve stomped 2-2. Their second goal was a clear from their blueline when they were on the PK. I was a few feet out of my crease and I gloved it and dropped it, but the ref called it a goal from the far goal line.
That is an absolutely atrocious call.

Here's mine:

Up 2-0 with about 3 mins left in juniors. Attacker came in 1-on-1 and fired a slapshot from just inside the blue line. Butterfly save, puck underneath my left knee (pinned, but 3/4 of the puck still visible and uncovered) in the middle of my crease. Guy blows past my defenseman untouched trying to get the rebound as I cover it with my stick against my leg pad. In full stride, he barrels into me, knee into my head, driving both of us into the goal. My head and neck slammed into the padded bar in the middle of the net as the force of the impact knocked all of us clear to the end boards. I laid down for about 5 minutes trying to regain my senses and waiting for the headache to subside a bit. Finally I started feeling better and got back into my crease and put the net back in place.

Was still trying to shake off a little bit of the cobwebs when I noticed that not only were we not on a power play, they were dropping the puck at center ice AND the score was now 2-1. I was livid!

I skated halfway to center ice demanding to know why it was a goal. They said the puck crossed the line and so it counted. I reminded them it went in because he interfered with me and basically checked me into the goal. They said it didn't matter. I dropped a few f-bombs, skated over to my team's center, pointed at the other team's goalie and ordered him to run the other team's goalie because the ref now says it's perfectly legal which led to some further heated arguing between me and the ref.

Game ended in a 2-1 victory without further incident on the ice and I didn't have to make any more saves (thankfully), but not without a bunch more obscenities thrown at the ref. Ended up following the guy into the parking lot, stick in hand, and had to be physically restrained by teammates. Not my finest moment and I regret my post-game behavior, but my head and neck were throbbing and I just complete lost it over the fact they allowed that clearly dangerous play to count.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Canadian91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
From my experience, that's your fault. Your coach, or someone on your teams hould always be aware of how the tournament is running.

If it's not a tournament, but a league game and say it was suppose to start at 7, then it starts at 7 and if the ref makes the game start earlier, report him.
Yep, it was a league game. Apparently, he's already been reported.

Canadian91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 08:03 AM
CanFan05

So my team is in 1st place and we're playing the 3rd team in our division. Anyway, we get slashed and hacked the whole game but the ref lets it go. We're leading 9-6 at the end of the game (a minute left) and this guy from the opposite team starts pushing our D in the corner. Shoves him real hard on the boards and then slashes (and breaks) my teammate's stick RIGHT NEXT TO THE REF. The game ends and we win 9-6 but my friend is pissed and I go see the ref (i'm the captain). I ask him why he let the slashing and tripping go during the game because it's obvious that he lost control of the game. His answer : ''If you're not happy, go play ringuette. Suck it up, thats what players do when they lose a game!''

He left me speechless because he just proved me that he wasn't following the game...we won 9-6 for christ's sake!

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Semin

I'll tell you a story from this season.

Were up 1-0 start of the 3rd, this guy on the other team made a pass and watched his pass, and I put the guy down, I cleaned his clock he went down and stayed down for a bit. It was a clean it, it was with a shoulder and I didn't charge at him, but since I put him down and he was basically out they decided it was only fair if I get kicked out. Then the refs are throwing me out, the one ref is accompanying me off the ice, and this big crazy hockey Mom was just beaking at me along the way because I hurt her precious boy. So I said "eat another perogie you fat C word". I swear some Moms just baby there kids to much.

But all in all we lost 2-1. The ref told me if that kid wouldn't of stayed down then I wouldn't of been kicked out.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:04 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
I'll tell you a story from this season.

Were up 1-0 start of the 3rd, this guy on the other team made a pass and watched his pass, and I put the guy down, I cleaned his clock he went down and stayed down for a bit. It was a clean it, it was with a shoulder and I didn't charge at him, but since I put him down and he was basically out they decided it was only fair if I get kicked out. Then the refs are throwing me out, the one ref is accompanying me off the ice, and this big crazy hockey Mom was just beaking at me along the way because I hurt her precious boy. So I said "eat another perogie you fat C word". I swear some Moms just baby there kids to much.

But all in all we lost 2-1. The ref told me if that kid wouldn't of stayed down then I wouldn't of been kicked out.

You sure showed that women

Old
01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Semin

Quote:
You sure showed that women
Haha, thats really the best I could come up with. But like it just irks me that this Mom is going nuts, she made her kid look like a big momma's boy. I bet you the kid was embarrassed seeing that.

Old
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
That is an absolutely atrocious call.

Here's mine:

Up 2-0 with about 3 mins left in juniors. Attacker came in 1-on-1 and fired a slapshot from just inside the blue line. Butterfly save, puck underneath my left knee (pinned, but 3/4 of the puck still visible and uncovered) in the middle of my crease. Guy blows past my defenseman untouched trying to get the rebound as I cover it with my stick against my leg pad. In full stride, he barrels into me, knee into my head, driving both of us into the goal. My head and neck slammed into the padded bar in the middle of the net as the force of the impact knocked all of us clear to the end boards. I laid down for about 5 minutes trying to regain my senses and waiting for the headache to subside a bit. Finally I started feeling better and got back into my crease and put the net back in place.

Was still trying to shake off a little bit of the cobwebs when I noticed that not only were we not on a power play, they were dropping the puck at center ice AND the score was now 2-1. I was livid!

I skated halfway to center ice demanding to know why it was a goal. They said the puck crossed the line and so it counted. I reminded them it went in because he interfered with me and basically checked me into the goal. They said it didn't matter. I dropped a few f-bombs, skated over to my team's center, pointed at the other team's goalie and ordered him to run the other team's goalie because the ref now says it's perfectly legal which led to some further heated arguing between me and the ref.

Game ended in a 2-1 victory without further incident on the ice and I didn't have to make any more saves (thankfully), but not without a bunch more obscenities thrown at the ref. Ended up following the guy into the parking lot, stick in hand, and had to be physically restrained by teammates. Not my finest moment and I regret my post-game behavior, but my head and neck were throbbing and I just complete lost it over the fact they allowed that clearly dangerous play to count.
What rink were you at? Was it Logitech, down south, or out of California? And I guess the ref of my game has a history of biasedness down there...

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Haha, thats really the best I could come up with. But like it just irks me that this Mom is going nuts, she made her kid look like a big momma's boy. I bet you the kid was embarrassed seeing that.
Yeah, you're pretty much a stand up guy, hitting the guy when you obviously had plenty of time to avoid the check and then running your mouth at his mother after a cheap hit. I'll bet you feel pretty good about the whole day.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Yeah, you're pretty much a stand up guy, hitting the guy when you obviously had plenty of time to avoid the check and then running your mouth at his mother after a cheap hit. I'll bet you feel pretty good about the whole day.
Or maybe its called "finishing your check". Just because the guy admires his pass doesn't mean I shouldn't finish my check. And the fact that I'm 6'2 and over 220 pounds I'm pretty sure it hurts when I get a chance to throw a good hit on someone. I use my shoulder, its not like I threw my elbow out there.

When I play hockey and if I watch the puck or have my head down, I expect someone to hit me. When I was younger and first started checking I'd always watch my pass and keep my head down, but after getting layed out many times I learned to be more aware. It was a "hockey play". The ref told me if the kid wouldn't of been hurt and laying there I wouldn't of been kicked out.

And as for the woman, usually I never talk back to older people because its disrespectful. But the fact that I was getting thrown out, it made me feel like crap for letting down my team and I just blew up. And its rare for me to get that mad.

Old
01-31-2010, 07:26 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
The ref told me if the kid wouldn't of been hurt and laying there I wouldn't of been kicked out.
I remember seeing in the rules where it states that you can give a player a game so you can make the opposing player feel better when no real penalty is involved. Happens all the time.