HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do left handed players have any advantage over right handed players?

Old
01-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
I think you missed the point of that blog post.

Young players tend to choose to shoot left.
Players that start young are going to be better than players that start later in life.
Hence, the tendency for NHL players to shoot left. They didn't make the NHL because they shoot left, they made the NHL cause they started playing hockey at a very young age.

"Regional" really only has to do with how likely it is that a kid will start playing hockey at a young age in that area.
I think people know what hand they are naturally. It just feels right to do it that way.

Nobody taught me what hand to shoot I picked up on it on my own at 4 years old. I just knew what it was and the same thing for baseball batting.

Nobody had to show me in other words. I could be wrong of course but to me it makes sense that IF the left side of your brain is dominant then you are right handed and no amount of coaching to tell you otherwise will ever change that.

It is biology and is simply what your body does naturally to survive. I pity the caveman who was lefty but never figured it out and kept missing his meat targets with his spears because he chucked them with the wrong hand.

I doubt that would even happen is my point.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

I doubt that would even happen is my point.

I'm not sure what you mean by "that".

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:23 AM
BadHammy*

I think hockeyfan is of course, generally right. If you are left brained, 67% of people are, approximately, and thus, naturally 2/3rds of people should be right handed, and 80% of them probably should shoot left. Of course, the whole handedness definition needs to be changed. One thing I have found though, top hand snap on wrist and snap is every bit as critical as lower hand snap.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "that".
Read the small paragraph RIGHT before the "that". THAT is what THAT is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
I think hockeyfan is of course, generally right. If you are left brained, 67% of people are, approximately, and thus, naturally 2/3rds of people should be right handed, and 80% of them probably should shoot left. Of course, the whole handedness definition needs to be changed. One thing I have found though, top hand snap on wrist and snap is every bit as critical as lower hand snap.
I'm confused by your snap ... what is this snap thing?

Old
01-28-2010, 02:28 AM
BadHammy*

Quote:

I'm confused by your snap ... what is this snap thing?
You know, the top hand snaps back in toward the body while the lower hand pushes/snaps out

Old
01-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
You know, the top hand snaps back in toward the body while the lower hand pushes/snaps out
I see what you mean now ... the top hand controls everything in the motion though.

Most people use TOP hand and LOWER hand.

basically though to confirm what I was saying is any person who fires a hunting rifle does it the same way for the same reason whether they are lefty or righty.

You always use your dominant eye to aim the sight or scope. You can't hold a rifle with your wrong hand and feel confortable aiming it with anything other than your dominant natural eye which is (I am assuming) is always the same as your dominant hand.

Hey I could be wrong but I have never seen anyone shoot righty and use their left eye as it would be unatural. By righty I mean the gun stock is in your right armpit.

This would also apply to playing pool I would think.

This is also why a guy who shoots lefty (which I agree should be called righty) needs his dominant right eye to aim the shot.

Old
01-28-2010, 03:00 AM
BadHammy*

For me, it's easier to be 100% accurate letting the bottom hand do all the snap work and making the top hand follow. The more top hand snap I put in, the more my shots sail high, thought they are harder. This generally only happens on an off-day or whenever I'm in a hurry...

Old
01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
For me, it's easier to be 100% accurate letting the bottom hand do all the snap work and making the top hand follow. The more top hand snap I put in, the more my shots sail high, thought they are harder. This generally only happens on an off-day or whenever I'm in a hurry...
I get your point for sure. For a snapshot I really crank with my bottom hand's wrist motion with a flick of the wrist.

And there is some truth to each way we discussed including your legs as shooting a puck is a machine like motion with several components invloved.

People who shoot with just their arms don't have much of a shot usually.

Old
01-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:

OK, so you were basically agreeing with me. I just wasn't sure what you were getting in your response to my post.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I'm a natural lefty but can play either way. I suck equally no matter what the handedness lol.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote