HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM shouldn't sacrifice future for No. 8 seed

Old
01-29-2010, 06:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
GM shouldn't sacrifice future for No. 8 seed

Larry Brooks credits Glen Sather for not making quick fix trades since the lockout. He just brings up the fear factor which hits every Ranger fan around trade deadline time when the crazy rumors swirl. The team is struggling. They aren't responding to the coach. You get the picture.

Quote:
Forget four-for-one trades to rent Ilya Kovalchuk. Forget giving up anything to get Vincent Lecavalier and his out of whack contract that takes him to age 40. Forget Dion Phaneuf unless Rozsival (preferably Redden, but let's be serious) and nothing of much added value go the other way to Calgary.

The Rangers aren't one or two players away, unless they are Jean Beliveau and Bobby Orr in their prime. The Rangers aren't one brilliant trade away from inserting themselves into the Stanley Cup conversation.

Instead, the Rangers are simply one of those many teams camped out with the huddled masses on the treadmill of NHL mediocrity. Sorry to say, but Lundqvist and Gaborik are lipstick on the pig.

Sather's "lifetime contract," as bestowed upon him by CEO Jim Dolan does provide the general manager with the security not to act rashly. Sather must know that the way to the top can only be reached by first bottoming out and then taking advantage of a favorable draft position.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0e0AAVrac

Redden?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
With no roster moves made yesterday, it's expected that Redden traveled with the team to Phoenix. As a guideline that Tortorella has called an "organizational decision" all year, the Rangers carry just six defensemen, because they don't want to stunt the growth of one of the youngsters in Hartford.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0e0CINoxl

Stunt the growth?

FUBAR

FUBAR

FUBAR

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
the Rangers carry just six defensemen, because they don't want to stunt the growth of one of the youngsters in Hartford.
Sanguinetti?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:55 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0e0CINoxl

Stunt the growth?

FUBAR

FUBAR

FUBAR
He's referring to Sanguinetti. They don't want him up as the 7th d-man. They want him playing if he's going to get called up.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
He's referring to Sanguinetti. They don't want him up as the 7th d-man. They want him playing if he's going to get called up.
He should be playing down there. He shouldn't be the 7th man.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

lol. Stunted growth occurs in the press box. Rangers management understands that Sanguinetti deserves a season's shot at a starting role. He will get it at some point.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:27 AM
polako

I've found myself agreeing with LB for two seasons now, but in this case, I wholeheartedly disagree. The NYR are not in need of a massive overhaul to do some real damage in the POs. In fact, I'd argue that they are one REAL player away from doing so...especially in a year like this, where the degree of competitive difference in the EC is so thin.

Between Lundqvist and Gaborik, they've made it this far. Another talent of this level would push them to the next level, in my opinion.

How to do this while also attempting to escape the contracts of Redden, Drury, and Rozsival is the task, a seemingly impossible one, actually.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Have to agree with bus stop boy here

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

My favorite Larry article of the decade.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:54 AM
ThirdEye

What do you mean, if we make the playoffs anything can happen

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:00 AM
The Thomas J.*

LB's article was dead on today. We are in the same boat alot of other teams are that have mild sucess but can't get a decent draft postion. The diffrence between us & them is that we are capped out.

But to not try to explore trade options that could bring somthing back at a resonable cost should be considered. You never know what happens once you get in the Pkayoffs & I don't have faith in the lottery system.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:03 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
LB's article was dead on today. We are in the same boat alot of other teams are that have mild sucess but can't get a decent draft postion. The diffrence between us & them is that we are capped out.

But to not try to explore trade options that could bring somthing back at a resonable cost should be considered. You never know what happens once you get in the Pkayoffs & I don't have faith in the lottery system.
The problem is our cap space is being depleted by crappy players, so the team almost has no choice. Until the contracts expire the Rangers only real hoping of competing is through drafting and hoping the young players on the team develop faster.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Until the contracts expire the Rangers only real hoping of competing is through drafting and hoping the young players on the team develop faster.
Not the worst way to go.

My biggest fear with Sather is not that he's going to trade away prospects and draft choices but that once the bad contracts expire he'll just use the cap space to sign more bad contracts.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Nyrvana

Maybe for once we could be sellers at the deadline! Lots of people to trade:

Roszival, Prospal, Redden, Higgins, Lisin, Kotalik, Girardi, ... and Drury

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Not the worst way to go.

My biggest fear with Sather is not that he's going to trade away prospects and draft choices but that once the bad contracts expire he'll just use the cap space to sign more bad contracts.
He really hasn't done that. The biggest problem has been the cap-choking contracts. I fear July 1 more than the trade deadline.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Levitate

Sather didn't sacrifice the future last year when the Rangers were in a similar position so I'm not sure why it's suddenly a huge concern or newsworthy again this year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Not the worst way to go.

Completely agree, he's got to learn to spend the kind of money he gave out to Drury and Redden on players that actually deserve it. He's got to be more careful about spending. I don't think he realizes we have a salary cap sometimes.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Fletch

I agree with Larry...regarding the 7th defenseman...not sure why a guy such as, say Cory Potter, couldn't travel and maybe take up some of Redden's time if Torts is that disgusted with his play. I don't see Potter as a guy whose growth will be stunted by being the 7th defenseman, if Torts so chooses not to replace Redden.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:52 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He really hasn't done that. The biggest problem has been the cap-choking contracts. I fear July 1 more than the trade deadline.
We're in agreement, jas.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:58 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I agree with Larry...regarding the 7th defenseman...not sure why a guy such as, say Cory Potter, couldn't travel and maybe take up some of Redden's time if Torts is that disgusted with his play. I don't see Potter as a guy whose growth will be stunted by being the 7th defenseman, if Torts so chooses not to replace Redden.
The thinking probably is 'I don't know a whole lot about Potter and he's an inexperienced player so I'm better off just rolling 5 d-man'

If Potter was to be up he won't play much. Tortorella tends to throw caution to the wind when these young or inexperience players get called up. Unless they prove they can handle it.
Ex. Del Zotto earlier in the year, Sanguinetti, Heikennen.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Heat McManus

Gaborik and Kovalchuk/Lecavalier would give the team an incredible 1-2 punch. However, those punches aren't guaranteed knock-outs.

LB is right, the team isn't a Cup contender and one player (outside of Crosby or Ovechkin IMO) isn't going to change things right now. There's a serious secondary scoring failure right now and their D is not strong. Trading players that could be part of a stronger core for years to come could be disastrously short-sighted.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Spot Larry. Spot on.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

The rumors are that Atlanta wants primarily current NHL talent for Kovy, and he'll be 27 years old at the start of next season.

As long as they didn't trade 3-4 prospects and that's it for Kovy (which is impossible cap-wise regardless), I don't see how that's necessarily "sacrificing the future." He would be a premier player on this team for the next 6 years, minimum. Much better chance of that happening then Dubi being solid for the same time period and say Grachev turning into a AS-quality player.

Trading for Vinny would be though, unless TB was that desperate to get rid of him.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Pot would not have been better than Red, not even close. Pot in the AHL what Red is in the NHL. Think about it.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Larry is so bi-polar. This is one of his best.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote