HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers 1st round playoff matchup..

View Poll Results: Flyers 1st round playoff matchup..
Pittsburgh Penguins 21 42.86%
New Jersey Devils 22 44.90%
Washington Capitals 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Kambo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
The Flyers could be facing Tiger Woods on the front 9 when the playoffs are happening if they don't shape up.
Shape up? As far as I'm concerned, they've been playing very well lately. Their luck just didn't shake out against the Pens on Sunday. If you want to compare to how we were playing a month and a half ago, we're miles ahead, and more practice under Lavi come playoffs is a good thing. We've actually been playing coordinated hockey out there.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I think the Pens can actually be grouped into that. Regardless of whether they think they can beat us, I'm sure any team knows it'll be a battle. Most of the fans on here have actually admitted to it too.
Yea I guess I just look at it like we played them last year in a physical series and they went on to win anyways.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Yea I guess I just look at it like we played them last year in a physical series and they went on to win anyways.
If we don't get ****ed in game 2 of that series, I guarantee we'd be singing a different story right now.

Old
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'd take NJ. None of those teams suck in any way, but I think the Flyers could handle NJ the best of the 3. Series would go to 7.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Lab Monkey

Pens, end of story.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

The only team I don't want to play is Pittsburgh.

I'm not even really that afraid of their roster.

Every time we play Pittsburgh there's bad luck, or terrible officiating, or a blown call, or anything. For some reason we never beat them, and every time we play them, especially on National TV, we get the worst refs ever in the history of the NHL.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or that the officials are terrible only in regards to the Flyers.

Still, there's such a thing as being "too lucky".

Some teams just have your number, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's always those kinds of games when you can never get a call or catch a break.

As I said, it has nothing to do with their skill.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Black Ice

Watching the pregame show, Mr. Snyder thinks that the Flyers can beat the Pens but he's afraid of Washington.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer

Every time we play Pittsburgh there's bad luck, or terrible officiating, or a blown call, or anything. For some reason we never beat them, and every time we play them, especially on National TV, we get the worst refs ever in the history of the NHL.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or that the officials are terrible only in regards to the Flyers.

Some teams just have your number, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's always those kinds of games when you can never get a call or catch a break.

I'm with ya. Well said.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
fire bettman

Pens.... as someone said earlier in the thread, third times a charm. Honestly, even if we won the cup I wouldn't be as happy about it if we didn't trample all over ****tsburgh somewhere along the line in the playoffs. They WILL NOT win the cup this year and I would want the Flyers to be the reason why over any other team.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
so those of you who voted for Washington want to change your vote after what happened tonight?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:27 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I was going to write something witty, but this sums it up.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

I think that's honestly the best analysis I have seen as to every fear I, and probably everyone else on this board, have regarding the Pens in the playoffs. For some reason or another, we can never win the close, emotional games against them, and it always kills us. While we may have the firepower to be able to blow them away to win a series, this team has always had a terrible time playing with as much heart as it would take to do it game in and game out. Who knows though. Maybe with Lappy, Betts, and Pronger all on the team this year, they can whip some motivation into the younger ones.

Old
01-29-2010, 08:13 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I think that's honestly the best analysis I have seen as to every fear I, and probably everyone else on this board, have regarding the Pens in the playoffs. For some reason or another, we can never win the close, emotional games against them, and it always kills us. While we may have the firepower to be able to blow them away to win a series, this team has always had a terrible time playing with as much heart as it would take to do it game in and game out. Who knows though. Maybe with Lappy, Betts, and Pronger all on the team this year, they can whip some motivation into the younger ones.
Yeah, not to mention the Pens' recent success has gone to everyone's heads.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=730940&page=2

The fact that the Pens are tied with us in that poll, just because of their recent success, is an absolute travesty.

I can't wait until things are back to normal, and all we have to worry about are the Devils and the conference flavor of the half-decade (Rags, Pens, or Isles).

Life was so much simpler before the Penguins got 4 top 2 picks in a row.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Kambo

Quote:

The fact that the Pens are tied with us in that poll, just because of their recent success, is an absolute travesty.

I can't wait until things are back to normal, and all we have to worry about are the Devils and the conference flavor of the half-decade (Rags, Pens, or Isles).

Yeah, no kidding. I remember the days when I didn't even mind the Penguins, and would actually root for them occasioanlly. Man, do I facepalm myself everyday for that now.

Old
01-29-2010, 11:30 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

not anymore
I added my 2 cents to the discussion on that thread.
LOL@ calling us bandwagoneers.
I mean really?

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 01-29-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old
01-29-2010, 11:43 AM
wckdclw

IF we make the playoffs, we play the devils the best so id want them. I honestly think Washington will get to the SC Finals and will get the cup this year.

wckdclw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Kaktus*

Delete this thread. We suck against Atlanta.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
not anymore
I added my 2 cents to the discussion on that thread.
LOL@ calling us bandwagoneers.
I mean really?
Honest to god, even trying to be objective here, that is the most facepalm worthy thread I've ever seen in my life. 1 more cup makes them far, far superior to the Flyers, especially since they had so many more great players that couldn't do jack **** against us.

Old
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Honest to god, even trying to be objective here, that is the most facepalm worthy thread I've ever seen in my life. 1 more cup makes them far, far superior to the Flyers, especially since they had so many more great players that couldn't do jack **** against us.
granted we have had some playoff failures, I admit that.
But the Pens had Jagr and Mario for how many years?
Not many fan bases piss me off more then their fan base then theirs.
You cant even have a rational discussion with 99 percent of them.
I love how he brings the Pirates into the discussion. I mean when was the last time they were relivant?

Old
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

After last night I want to see Ottawa take on the Pens in the first round, I really think Ottawa can take on the Pens and possibly win.
As for the Flyers we should meet the Devils in the first round rather than the Caps, Caps have some problems on D and in net but to win against them we would have to score more than 5 goals a game.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
granted we have had some playoff failures, I admit that.
But the Pens had Jagr and Mario for how many years?
Not many fan bases piss me off more then their fan base then theirs.
You cant even have a rational discussion with 99 percent of them.
I love how he brings the Pirates into the discussion. I mean when was the last time they were relivant?
I'm not counting out the playoff failures we've had, but granted, failing in the playoffs is better then looking in from the outside where they were.
And the whole sports city thing gave me a good chuckle. I really did love how that guy threw all that stuff out there. Sure, Pitt might have all those things, but they're not really known for their passion and loyalty. Philly might not have that many championships, but that's what makes us so great. After all those terrible years, we still follow our teams year in, and year out.
And as far as everyone else in that thread, I can't believe people are legitimately using the players as a basis of deciding. The exact question was, who is the better organization? Last I checked, the includes the whole package, not just players, or championships.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:18 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
I'm not counting out the playoff failures we've had, but granted, failing in the playoffs is better then looking in from the outside where they were.
And the whole sports city thing gave me a good chuckle. I really did love how that guy threw all that stuff out there. Sure, Pitt might have all those things, but they're not really known for their passion and loyalty. Philly might not have that many championships, but that's what makes us so great. After all those terrible years, we still follow our teams year in, and year out.
And as far as everyone else in that thread, I can't believe people are legitimately using the players as a basis of deciding. The exact question was, who is the better organization? Last I checked, the includes the whole package, not just players, or championships.
I totally agree. I mean even in the season from Hell the fans still showed up. When this team has had some lean years in the early 90s the fans still showed up.
The Pens? they fans didnt show up there until they produced a winner.
Yet we have the band wagon fans.
Some of us have been a fan of this team for 30 plus years. like myself. We all know the history. Yet we still support this team even through all the crap and heartbreak. see 2000 and 2004.
If Crosby and Malkin both retired tomorrow and the Pens turned the suck back on how many would stick around? going to guess not many.

Edit: I do want to ask is that Godric guy on that thread for real? Neely got what was coming to him from Ulfy? really?

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 01-29-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old
01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
BerubeBox*

Bring on the ****birds.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The Devils. Jacques Lemaire will try to old NHL-ing it up by castrating their offense for the sake of getting his matchups. Lemaire MUST have his matchups.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote