HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN's "Trade deadline playbook: Western Conference"

Old
01-27-2010, 03:52 PM
SoCalShark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by polmaniac932 View Post
They should have added at the end of the Sharks tidbit: "Oops, wait, we forgot, they already have Manny Malhotra."

The only thing this team needs is a little more stability on defense. Our forwards are just fine.
Staios?

SoCalShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:54 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Now if only we kept Ehrhoff I'd actually think pretty highly of DW.
That and losing Rivet the year before! Stupid Blake! I'd rather have Ehrhoff and Rivet than two years of Blake!

Boyle - Murray
Rivet - Vlasic
Ehrhoff - other than Huskins

Man that would have been a good D!

Old
01-27-2010, 04:01 PM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalShark View Post
That and losing Rivet the year before! Stupid Blake! I'd rather have Ehrhoff and Rivet than two years of Blake!

Boyle - Murray
Rivet - Vlasic
Ehrhoff - other than Huskins

Man that would have been a good D!
I woulda liked to keep Erhoff this year. But, I think that last year's Blake and Blake Mentorship (TM) helped us SO much more than Rivet would have. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that with our D being on the youngish side, that mentoring last year will do wonders for our future.

I also woulda kept Luko over Huskins, but that's because I never really noticed Luko and I keep noticing Huskins in a bad way.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
I woulda liked to keep Erhoff this year. But, I think that last year's Blake and Blake Mentorship (TM) helped us SO much more than Rivet would have. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that with our D being on the youngish side, that mentoring last year will do wonders for our future.

I also woulda kept Luko over Huskins, but that's because I never really noticed Luko and I keep noticing Huskins in a bad way.
Plus we would have had to lose either Ehrhoff or Rivet this year .. It should have been Blake hitting the links and kept Ehrhoff and Luko.

Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda ... It's like saying if Garpenlov didn't hit the crossbar vs. Toronto, Selanne hitting the open net vs. Roy or Cheech firing on Roloson faster ... All water under the bridge!

Last edited by SoCalShark: 01-27-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old
01-27-2010, 04:27 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Plus we would have had to lose either Ehrhoff or Rivet this year .. It should have been Blake hitting the links and kept Ehrhoff and Luko.

Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda ... It's like saying if Baker didn't hit the crossbar vs. Toronto, Selanne hitting the open net vs. Roy or Cheech firing on Roloson faster ... All water under the bridge!
Good point, I will add Blake to the hit list now.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
one2gamble

Rivet isnt good and Blake was a better mentor but he shouldnt be on this team this year.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Rivet isnt good and Blake was a better mentor but he shouldnt be on this team this year.
Agreed ... he took Ehrhoff's spot this year!

Old
01-27-2010, 06:30 PM
WineShark

While I hate the return we got for Ehrhoff, and agree that Blake makes a lot for what he has thus far delivered, most will agree that he was better last year. So is his play off because he is old, or maybe something more?

Blake has had some ankle and foot problems later in his career - and last year in the P/O's wasn't right; coming back from a broken foot. Personally, I think Blake is just now starting to skate like last year. He is carrying the puck out of the zone, joined the rush and scored a goal last game, and is going to the net again to screen shots. I think he has been hugging the blue line because if he pinches, he has to be able to quickly get back to position and that's hard to do if your are dealing with lingering foot problems. Both him and Vlasic's performance is dramatically improved in the past 5-6 games.

I suppose others have started to notice the amount of obstruction calls that aren't being made is growing. I also noticed the other night, Blake standing in front of the net and pulling the skates out from under a player screening Nabby on the PK. It didn't get called. The point is, many of the things that he does that are called now as a penalty, wont be called in the P/O's. Its just the way it is. And our team never seems to be able to figure out what is going to be allowed while the other teams - Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim, play with an edge and we are out early.

Maybe I am an optimist, but based on his improved play, I think he has been more bothered by the broken foot that we might have imagined. I suspect if Blake can stay healthy down the stretch, his presence in a deep run will be noticed as a significant positive.

To the OP, I don't think we need to do anything at the deadline and what we do look at will be a response to health issues - Blake included.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
justinboo*

do you guys think DW will get anyone? i personally think the team is fine... TM wont hesitate in the playoffs to put the big top line together... our team defends well. what players you think would do well with the sharks if anything happened?

and why yall still clownin DW for past trades we have a fantastic team!

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinboo View Post
do you guys think DW will get anyone? i personally think the team is fine... TM wont hesitate in the playoffs to put the big top line together... our team defends well. what players you think would do well with the sharks if anything happened?

He will get someone. DW can't go through a deadline without improving his club. Got Moen and Huskins last year. Got Campbell before. Got Rivet and Guerin before that. Got Nieminen before that. Got Marshall and Brown before that. He will always do something at the deadline.

And people will clown him because the team could be better setup for these playoffs than what it is. I don't get why that's really that hard to understand.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:54 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinboo View Post

Defense wins playoff games. I think a lot of us simply do not believe our defense is going to cut it.

Boyle - Murray
Demers - Vlasic
Ehrhoff - Huskins

That is a solid, affordable, well-rounded, defense.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I suspect if Blake can stay healthy down the stretch, his presence in a deep run will be noticed as a significant positive.
And this year we have a crazy lil thing called The Olympics that may be just what the doctor ordered for older or injured players to get some rest and healing in!

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
TheBrokenRib

Aren't we in the Kovalchuk race?

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:36 PM
halfeze13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
While I hate the return we got for Ehrhoff, and agree that Blake makes a lot for what he has thus far delivered, most will agree that he was better last year. So is his play off because he is old, or maybe something more?

Blake has had some ankle and foot problems later in his career - and last year in the P/O's wasn't right; coming back from a broken foot. Personally, I think Blake is just now starting to skate like last year. He is carrying the puck out of the zone, joined the rush and scored a goal last game, and is going to the net again to screen shots. I think he has been hugging the blue line because if he pinches, he has to be able to quickly get back to position and that's hard to do if your are dealing with lingering foot problems. Both him and Vlasic's performance is dramatically improved in the past 5-6 games.

I suppose others have started to notice the amount of obstruction calls that aren't being made is growing. I also noticed the other night, Blake standing in front of the net and pulling the skates out from under a player screening Nabby on the PK. It didn't get called. The point is, many of the things that he does that are called now as a penalty, wont be called in the P/O's. Its just the way it is. And our team never seems to be able to figure out what is going to be allowed while the other teams - Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim, play with an edge and we are out early.

Maybe I am an optimist, but based on his improved play, I think he has been more bothered by the broken foot that we might have imagined. I suspect if Blake can stay healthy down the stretch, his presence in a deep run will be noticed as a significant positive.
i was gonna add to your post cuz i was thinking the exact same thing... but then i just realized i was just rewording it
i hope youre right tho

halfeze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
He will get someone. DW can't go through a deadline without improving his club. Got Moen and Huskins last year. Got Campbell before. Got Rivet and Guerin before that. Got Nieminen before that. Got Marshall and Brown before that. He will always do something at the deadline.

And people will clown him because the team could be better setup for these playoffs than what it is. I don't get why that's really that hard to understand.
Although you could argue that we got our Niemo/Moen type players in the offseason (in the form of Nichol, Manny, Ort and such), and the Brown acquisition was in response to Sturm's injurt, right? It seems less likely he'll go for the big deal after what happened with Campbell, so maybe we don't see something. My guess is another bottom pairing D or bottom 6 forward, just for ***** and giggles.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Defense wins playoff games. I think a lot of us simply do not believe our defense is going to cut it.

Boyle - Murray
Demers - Vlasic
Ehrhoff - Huskins

That is a solid, affordable, well-rounded, defense.
Add a shutdown D to take the place of Huskins and THAT would have been an alright D.

Oh well ... water under the bridge.

Old
01-27-2010, 07:45 PM
SoCalShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Although you could argue that we got our Niemo/Moen type players in the offseason (in the form of Nichol, Manny, Ort and such), and the Brown acquisition was in response to Sturm's injurt, right? It seems less likely he'll go for the big deal after what happened with Campbell, so maybe we don't see something. My guess is another bottom pairing D or bottom 6 forward, just for ***** and giggles.
Just another shutdown D-man to take the load off Blake and Murray.

Old
01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
TheBrokenRib

Is Halpern a good fit for us? Do we need anything else at the forward position?

TheBrokenRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Flicktron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto View Post
Is Halpern a good fit for us? Do we need anything else at the forward position?
He's a lesser-man's Scott Nichol.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Just another shutdown D-man to take the load off Blake and Murray.
The pair I worry about is Blake and Vlasic

Leach and Huskins have been working well together.
And it looks like Boyle and Murray are a done deal.

I'm guessing that come playoff time, Demers will suit up and be the D man wildcard.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 01:11 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
The pair I worry about is Blake and Vlasic

Leach and Huskins have been working well together.
And it looks like Boyle and Murray are a done deal.

I'm guessing that come playoff time, Demers will suit up and be the D man wildcard.
I'd add that Huskins and Demers have also done well as the bottom pairing.

The concern is Demers in a top 4 pairing, say with Vlasic (Blake with Huskins)
replacing Blake who has had problems this year with giveaways, 1on1 defending and general quality of play. Demers is just not ready for playoff top 4 minutes and responsibility - he'd play against the NHLs best and would from time to time get schooled by the NHLs best skill players due to lack of experience. He's a rookie!
Next season sure.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 10:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
I know! Let's let Nabby go and sign Blake to be goalie, thereby freeing up a D and shedding Nabby's salary!

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
one2gamble

With Vlasic down the D really really really needs another man.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote