HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Hockey News: Could Colorado take a run at Kovalchuk?

Old
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
thedoctor
                    

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Wolski, Stoa 1st is something I'd do. Take O'Reilly out.
for a signed Kovy, yeah, maybe. Still don't think we should give anything up for an unsigned Kovy.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
As the other Avs fans have said, it's his D that makes him incredible. I'd add that the points will come again, he's got a great shot and killer hockey sense. Right now, he's got terrible linemates (McLeod is ice cold and Tucker is, well, Tucker). Put him back with Jones/Yip/Galiardi and he'll be right there again.
Yep, definitely. He's too smart a hockey player not to be putting up points. Plus he's only 18 and gets zero PP time.

His defence and positioning are amazing. He's so good at stripping other players from the puck with his stick, it's amazing.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolfcjr View Post
Why do the avs need to do this though?
They have a young team that is overachieving this year, imagine what they will be like in 3 years, 5 years!
I see no point in this as their team has the tools to be the next dynasty in the furture.
Because it'll improve them greatly in the long run. Yes, they have depth, but no team can hang on to all that depth forever. Championship teams have elite players on their team, and that's what Kovalchuk is. If Colorado can make a deal that isn't ridiculous for him, it'll improve the team.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Rental players are the LAST thing the Avs need to trade for right now. I can maybe see the Avs being involved during free agency, but no way they give up significant assets for a guy who will only be around for a month or two. The rebuild is coming along nicely, but the Avs are still lacking in organizational depth. It makes no sense to sacrifice a ton of that depth for one rental player, no matter how good.

If the Avs play their cards right, they have a chance to keep a core together that will be competing for a playoff spot for 5-10 years. There's absolutely zero reason for the Avs to be in win-now mode.

Kovalchuk's a good player and all, but I don't even think I want him in free agency. He's going to command a huge price ($9+ million easy) and I don't get the sense that he's a very team oriented guy. Doesn't he want over $10 million a year to stay in Atlanta? While we're still uncertain as to what the cap's going to do in the next few years and guys like Anderson/Quincey/Wolski/Duchene/O'Reilly/Stewart all due for raises in the next few years, I'd rather get the core signed than drop $10 million a year on Kovalchuk.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 02:00 AM
the_fan

Getting Kovy will benefit Duchene in a long run. Avs will have dynamic duo for many years helping Duchene to develop better into a super star and also people don't mention this but i think Stan Kroenke might want Kovy to get the attendance up because it has been pretty bad lately.

I think more people will go to the games to watch a guy like Kovalchuk play. So getting him for the right price wouldn't hurt the team at all, it will only benefit business wise or team's success in winning

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I know that this column has as much basis in reality as speculations on this forum.

But basically Colorado are going to swing a big trade now just because they did it in the past? The earlier blockbuster trades were to put Avs over the top. They were ready for a Cup run. This years Avs aren't. They aren't even close. So adding Kovalchuk might enable us to beat Dallas in the first round or something.

Add another assumption in that Kovalchuk will negotiate a contract with the team that trades for him. The signals from the Kovalchuk camp is that he has every intention of using his UFA status this summer.

I love Kovalchuk as a player and think he is anything but a lazy selfish russian. I think he would help any team in the league and would love to sign him for a reasonable salary this summer. Trading lots of assets while in year 1-2 of a rebuild is something I think the Avs should leave to Brian Burke.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 05:36 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I know that this column has as much basis in reality as speculations on this forum.

But basically Colorado are going to swing a big trade now just because they did it in the past? The earlier blockbuster trades were to put Avs over the top. They were ready for a Cup run. This years Avs aren't. They aren't even close. So adding Kovalchuk might enable us to beat Dallas in the first round or something.

Add another assumption in that Kovalchuk will negotiate a contract with the team that trades for him. The signals from the Kovalchuk camp is that he has every intention of using his UFA status this summer.

I love Kovalchuk as a player and think he is anything but a lazy selfish russian. I think he would help any team in the league and would love to sign him for a reasonable salary this summer. Trading lots of assets while in year 1-2 of a rebuild is something I think the Avs should leave to Brian Burke.
Ok, lets see your opinion on why avs arent even close for a cup run shall we. Last year wings made the finals because Osgood played pretty good. This year they are fighting to make the playoffs which they might not even make it.

Top teams in west who are the favorites to come out of west are the hawks and the sharks, but lets see... Hawks have very good young talent up front no question but do they have the goaltending that can take them all the way? thats a question right there. And the sharks, well enough said. Sharks always choke in the playoffs every year while being loaded with talent and i don't see why this year would be any different with that team.

So lets move on to the avs who are currently the 3rd best team in the west aren't they? Everyone knows that a hot goaltending can surprise every year. Anderson has been nothing short of solid very good goalie so far for the avs. Last 6 games or so the avs shown that they can play very solid defense while putting the puck in net without any problems, getting scoring from different players every game.

The big question for the avs going into the playoffs whether they can be consistent enough to go far. Well which team is guaranteed to go all the way? if you are sure then you must know something i don't.

Now im not saying by getting Kovalchuk avs will make the finals or win the cup or anything, but i think it will sure put them in a better position between winning the division and making the best possible run in playoffs.

My point of this post is that no team is guaranteed to come out of the west. Avs have as good of a chance as any if they can stay consistent and play like they have during this last winning streak.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 07:14 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
BTW, its not like Ryan O'Reilly really holds that much intrinsic value. been cold as ice...0 pts in 10 games, probably going to turn out to be a Todd Whitesque player
if you've seen the O'Reily-Galiardi PK pairing in action you'd understand why avs fans are so high on him

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
BTW, its not like Ryan O'Reilly really holds that much intrinsic value. been cold as ice...0 pts in 10 games, probably going to turn out to be a Todd Whitesque player
Spoken like someone who watches the stats columns and not the games. If you did watch the games, you'd know different.

It's not ALL about stats in the NHL and for O'Reilly to have performed the way he has all season long and played so incredibly well defensively as an 18 year old speaks VOLUMES about his future and what he means to this franchise.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Spoken like someone who watches the stats columns and not the games. If you did watch the games, you'd know different.

It's not ALL about stats in the NHL and for O'Reilly to have performed the way he has all season long and played so incredibly well defensively as an 18 year old speaks VOLUMES about his future and what he means to this franchise.
No kidding. You can make the argument his contribution has had more of an impact on the rebound than Duchene. We've been in dire need of a true third line center since the lockout and you have to think about him as a potential captain down the road.

Anyway the only way this makes sense for the Avs is if they get him signed long term.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Anyway the only way this makes sense for the Avs is if they get him signed long term.
And there in lies the rub. Kroenke is pinching pennies while he's looking to become the sole owner of Arsenal. Many Avs fans who don't follow the Nuggets believe Kroenke would grow a beard, wear a robe and try to part the seas for his beloved Nuggets, who seem to be the biggest challengers to the Lakers in the West, but the fact is the Nuggets have had chances to add to their front court depth but Kroenke won't okay anything that would increase their payroll.

The Avs have a smaller payroll but they are also drawing less, even though they have surprised the hockey world by how well they've done this year (whether ownership realizes this is because of bloated ticket prices and incompetent marketing is another discussion). Kovalchuk is not giving Atlanta any hometown discounts (at least not yet) and he's certainly not going to give one to the Avs.

If the Avs made a deal for Kovalchuk they'd better be prepared to pay at least $10 mil a year, probably $11 mil, and no way Kroenke signs off on that.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

And I doubt there would be a run at him as a UFA, because the Avs could use a few more pieces in addition.

With the Nuggets i suspect the opportunity to take a run with an amazing buyer's market at the deadline will prove irresistible for Kroenke.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
And I doubt there would be a run at him as a UFA, because the Avs could use a few more pieces in addition.

With the Nuggets i suspect the opportunity to take a run with an amazing buyer's market at the deadline will prove irresistible for Kroenke.
I seriously hope the Avs don't consider forking over $10 million a year for Kovi. We have a ton of young guys who may turn out to be really good. I'd prefer not to repeat Chicago's mistake: jump the gun on huge FA signings and then dive headlong into cap hell as soon as your youngsters need a raise.

Kovi has every intention of going to free agency this summer. Which means no matter what he's going to be a rental. He has aspirations to become the highest paid player in the NHL, and he has a good shot at getting it. I'm not sure if any KHL owners still have serious stacks of cash to throw around still, but it's an outside possibility that they could threaten to enter the bidding as well.

Avs are going to be in flux next year with adding 1-3 rookie defensemen to the roster, and we're due for a few sophomore slumps. We're further away from being cap favorites than just Kovi.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:30 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I seriously hope the Avs don't consider forking over $10 million a year for Kovi. We have a ton of young guys who may turn out to be really good. I'd prefer not to repeat Chicago's mistake: jump the gun on huge FA signings and then dive headlong into cap hell as soon as your youngsters need a raise.

Kovi has every intention of going to free agency this summer. Which means no matter what he's going to be a rental. He has aspirations to become the highest paid player in the NHL, and he has a good shot at getting it. I'm not sure if any KHL owners still have serious stacks of cash to throw around still, but it's an outside possibility that they could threaten to enter the bidding as well.

Avs are going to be in flux next year with adding 1-3 rookie defensemen to the roster, and we're due for a few sophomore slumps. We're further away from being cap favorites than just Kovi.
If any of your youngsters even approach the talent level of Kovalchuk, you'll be in cap hell no matter what. The thing is, Kovalchuk is a 50 goal guy, proven, and young. Do you take the risk of hoping they MIGHT become that good and demand $10M, or make sure you lock up an ultra-talented player who is VERY likely already better than any of your 'up and coming youngsters could be' and roll with them as you see fit?

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
If any of your youngsters even approach the talent level of Kovalchuk, you'll be in cap hell no matter what. The thing is, Kovalchuk is a 50 goal guy, proven, and young. Do you take the risk of hoping they MIGHT become that good and demand $10M, or make sure you lock up an ultra-talented player who is VERY likely already better than any of your 'up and coming youngsters could be' and roll with them as you see fit?
I think that's the point - we don't expect any of our youngsters to hit 50 goals, and we're okay with it. 50 goals and little production from elsewhere on the team doesn't equate to a championship. Ask the Thrashers.

I think we'd rather have a team of guys scoring 20-30 goals down the entire roster.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:47 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
I think that's the point - we don't expect any of our youngsters to hit 50 goals, and we're okay with it. 50 goals and little production from elsewhere on the team doesn't equate to a championship. Ask the Thrashers.
The Thrashers have had no trouble scoring goals; they've been near the top of the Eastern Conference the past two years. Their struggles come from the inability to keep the puck out of the net, in large part due to injuries to Kari Lehtonen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
I think we'd rather have a team of guys scoring 20-30 goals down the entire roster.
Which would never happen, not only because the talent isn't there, but if it were there's no way Colorado would be able to keep everyone under the salary cap.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote