HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changes on the top two lines (Hartnell switches to the right side)

Old
01-29-2010, 03:33 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Changes on the top two lines (Hartnell switches to the right side)

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...919&feedID=704

Quote:
That appears to be just what Laviolette has done. When the Flyers take on the Islanders Saturday afternoon, the top two lines will change: Richards will center Gagne and Hartnell, and Carter will play with Powe on the left and Briere on the right.

Hartnell, who has spent most of his career on the left wing, will move to the right side on the new line. He said he has some experience playing on the right, and hopes it can create chances for the offense the team badly needs.

“Hopefully we can get me and Gags (Gagne) the spark that we need personally, and get some goals for the team to get some wins,” Hartnell said. “…Actually, I don’t mind playing [right wing]. I like driving the net from the right side on your backhand, and you feel a little stronger doing those kind of plays.”

Laviolette said he hopes switching up the lines will give his team “more jump.” But he emphasized that the change was far from permanent; he just wants to see what the move can achieve.

Both coach and captain reiterated after Friday’s practice that the team’s problem hasn’t been creating opportunities – the Flyers out-chanced Atlanta and Pittsburgh, despite losing to both – but following through on them.

“It’s just trying different things and hoping to get things going,” Richards said. “Sometimes a little change of scenery helps you get back on the right page, and maybe get us some lucky bounces.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:42 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Powe will definitely be able to keep up with Danny and JC better, I cringe every time Harts gets the puck in open ice, dreadful !

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'm still extremely iffy on Powe being in the top-6.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
At least he plays like he gives a ****.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
One of the problems of having 7 capable top 6 players; either one guy is lost in the fold on a third/energy line or the talent is spread over three lines and players who may not be ready or talented enough end up on scoring lines.

I don't mind the switch. Hartnell needs something to get him going this season and maybe this will be it; Gagne and Richards could benefit from this move, too. Powe can't be any worse than Hartnell has been this season with Carter and Briere.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
If they are going to shake things up with the lines (which I don't necessarily think they should) I'd like to see Hartnell on Giroux/JVR's line and move Asham to Richards/Gagne line. Not that I think Asham is a top line guy (if you consider the Richards/Gagne line the top line) but more that I think Hartnell would benefit more from JVR/Giroux and JVR/Giroux would benefit from Hartnell on the line. Gagne/Richards/Asham was a pretty solid line in the beginning of the season as well if I'm not mistaken.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:53 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If they are going to shake things up with the lines (which I don't necessarily think they should) I'd like to see Hartnell on Giroux/JVR's line and move Asham to Richards/Gagne line. Not that I think Asham is a top line guy (if you consider the Richards/Gagne line the top line) but more that I think Hartnell would benefit more from JVR/Giroux and JVR/Giroux would benefit from Hartnell on the line. Gagne/Richards/Asham was a pretty solid line in the beginning of the season as well if I'm not mistaken.
Asham has been clicking on that line. I like the fact he left the two most effective lines alone.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Asham has been clicking on that line. I like the fact he left the two most effective lines alone.
He hasn't really been clicking that well. The other game when Giroux made that ridiculous pass to him was pretty much all the clicking that I have seen. Not that he has been bad or anything like that, I just think Hartnell on that line would be Asham but better. They play a similar game but I think Hartnell's offensive skills are better than Asham's and Giroux's playmaking would be better suited to be on a line with two guys who can put the puck in the net.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:03 PM
trees17

Briere-Carter-Giroux
Hartnell-Richards-JVR
Gagne-Powe-Asham
Lappy-Betts-Carcillo

trees17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Scoopyten

After a game like last night, **** like this just seems to be moving deck chairs on the Titanic.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:12 PM
IrishSniper87

Gagne-Richards-Hartnell
Powe-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

should be awesome in Lavy's system. I predict Gagne explodes and Richies assists shoot up.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:17 PM
lancer247

Quote:
It just shows how weak the flyers are at RW.
Someone else mentioned the issue of having 7 guys the can play top 6. I hate Powe being in the top six. They really need someone that can clean up the garbage goals. Just put a dman on his hip and finish in front (see knuble, mike).

On bright side, Gagne-Richards-Hartnell gives them another good defensive line along with Carcillo-Betts-Lappy.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Cleary84

Hopefully Hartnell can be a poor man's Knuble after this switch.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
I'd settle for him being Scott Hartnell again.

Old
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
He hasn't really been clicking that well. The other game when Giroux made that ridiculous pass to him was pretty much all the clicking that I have seen. Not that he has been bad or anything like that, I just think Hartnell on that line would be Asham but better. They play a similar game but I think Hartnell's offensive skills are better than Asham's and Giroux's playmaking would be better suited to be on a line with two guys who can put the puck in the net.
I disagree... a lot actually. I mean, you could probably put Giroux centering any of those lines and you would see them producing but, hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I have seen nothing but good things from that line as of late.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I tend to disagree also. You can easily tell that they have 6th sense of where each other are. It's weird in a way. Asham hopes infront of the net as JVR and Giroux cycle. I know most of his goals were from Giroux's nice passes, but each time he had a nice pass, Asham was in the right spot.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
This is definitely what Laviolette is trying to do. However, I really don't feel good that it will be a positive change. Hartnell and Gagne are both extremely snakebitten. Putting them together just seems like a bad idea.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Larry44

Finally went with my lines. I guess Lavy is lurking.....

And Hartnell played RW in Nashville.

And if Powe doesn't cut it at LW with Carter, he can move down and JVR can move up.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM
BerubeBox*

One good thing about Hartnell, he plays balls-out every single game. The same can't be said for Richards this season. Maybe he'll inspire him. If Richie can get his swagger back, maybe his touch will come with it.

Powe on Carter's line? Not much to say other than the obvious: they're 3 of the fastest skaters on the team, if not the 3 fastest. Will that equate to chemistry? No idea.

And like others have said I like that they left the 3rd line alone. Hard to believe but Giroux keeps getting better and better offensively. JVR's progressing nicely. Maybe that fountain of points we all know is coming is just around the corner?

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
One good thing about Hartnell, he plays balls-out every single game. The same can't be said for Richards this season. Maybe he'll inspire him. If Richie can get his swagger back, maybe his touch will come with it.

Powe on Carter's line? Not much to say other than the obvious: they're 3 of the fastest skaters on the team, if not the 3 fastest. Will that equate to chemistry? No idea.

And like others have said I like that they left the 3rd line alone. Hard to believe but Giroux keeps getting better and better offensively. JVR's progressing nicely. Maybe that fountain of points we all know is coming is just around the corner?
I have seen Hartnell take as many games/shifts off as anyone this year. That whole "he's dumb, but plays hard all the time" card is expired.

Old
01-29-2010, 06:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
After a game like last night, **** like this just seems to be moving deck chairs on the Titanic.
Laviolette should scratch the entire top six and replace them with the Phantoms top six instead. They might not win, but at least they'd probably bust their ass and play hockey.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Eech

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Gagne-Richards-Hartnell
Powe-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

should be awesome in Lavy's system. I predict Gagne explodes and Richies assists shoot up.
God I hope so.

Eech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:05 PM
TheKingPin

Its crazy when you look at the talent on this team. Even the least talented line, Carcillo's, plays their game great and score goals. Im sure im like the rest of when I really think that if we get just the right line combo this teams going to go off. We have more distribution of talent than the caps, that can make up for some of their top heavy offense. This team can be just wave after wave of offense.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Laviolette should scratch the entire top six and replace them with the Phantoms top six instead. They might not win, but at least they'd probably bust their ass and play hockey.
The lines they used today don't exactly inspire a lot of hope in me. You got Richards between two guys that couldn't score in a Danish whorehouse with $1000 pinned to their chests. At least with Walter on the line, there will be at least one guy that won't over pass on every odd man rush.

Powe works his ass off, but with Carter and Briere? I don't like putting too much pressure on the kid, but JvR has better hands and size.

The more I look at the group of forwards, the more I want a trade.

Old
01-29-2010, 06:11 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Its crazy when you look at the talent on this team. Even the least talented line, Carcillo's, plays their game great and score goals. Im sure im like the rest of when I really think that if we get just the right line combo this teams going to go off. We have more distribution of talent than the caps, that can make up for some of their top heavy offense. This team can be just wave after wave of offense.
Nevermind. The Caps are on a 5.33 Goals per game pace since OV took over the C about 12 games ago....That is unreal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515419

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote