HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changes on the top two lines (Hartnell switches to the right side)

Old
01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Scoopyten

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Nevermind. The Caps are on a 5.33 Goals per game pace since OV took over the C about 12 games ago....That is unreal.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515419
The Caps have been sick lately, putting on a clinic. They had a 7 goal game and Ovechkin didn't have a point.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
The lines they used today don't exactly inspire a lot of hope in me. You got Richards between two guys that couldn't score in a Danish whorehouse with $1000 pinned to their chests. At least with Walter on the line, there will be at least one guy that won't over pass on every odd man rush.

Powe works his ass off, but with Carter and Briere? I don't like putting too much pressure on the kid, but JvR has better hands and size.

The more I look at the group of forwards, the more I want a trade.
Even though I do agree about Gagne, Richie hasnt been doing that great also. Pretty much invisible lately. And when he tries something (the usual try to go through 3 guys and loses it) he tries too hard.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Even though I do agree about Gagne, Richie hasnt been doing that great also. Pretty much invisible lately. And when he tries something (the usual try to go through 3 guys and loses it) he tries too hard.
I wasn't trying to excuse Richards, although re-reading what I wrong, it sure sounds that way.

I guess that Laviolette's hoping that putting those three together will cause one of them to start hitting twine.

Old
01-29-2010, 06:27 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Finally went with my lines. I guess Lavy is lurking.....

And Hartnell played RW in Nashville.

And if Powe doesn't cut it at LW with Carter, he can move down and JVR can move up.
JVR and Giroux should not be split up for the rest of the year. In fact I would suggest maybe putting Hartnell or Briere with them and then demoting one of Gagne or Hartnell to play on a checking line with Powe and Asham. But this means putting together Carter and Richards together which hasn't really worked in the past. I don't know, but Giroux and JVR should not be split up.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
CptCannon

Only good things I can think of this change, way to go Lavi!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
JVR and Giroux should not be split up for the rest of the year. In fact I would suggest maybe putting Hartnell or Briere with them and then demoting one of Gagne or Hartnell to play on a checking line with Powe and Asham. But this means putting together Carter and Richards together which hasn't really worked in the past. I don't know, but Giroux and JVR should not be split up.
Demoting Gagne might not be a bad move at all, per se. It would limit his ice time and he's still obviously working out the kinks. However like you I want JVR with Giroux. Still an interesting idea, it's the kind of thing that could very well pan out in the end. I'm just too selfish to sacrifice the potential chemistry between the 2 kids.

edit: oh I read your post wrong.

How about Richie with Roo and Riemer, to avoid the negative energy of combining Richards and Carter.

(obviously I want to see what Lavi's new combos can do first, but, if they don't work...)

Last edited by BerubeBox*: 01-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.
BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:36 PM
freakydallas13

I think powe's speed is gonna help carter's line. Briere is the setup man, carter is the shooter, and powe can be down low doing the dirty stuff.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Demoting Gagne might not be a bad move at all, per se. It would limit his ice time and he's still obviously working out the kinks. However like you I want JVR with Giroux. Still an interesting idea, it's the kind of thing that could very well pan out in the end. I'm just too selfish to sacrifice the potential chemistry between the 2 kids.
See but that means Richards and Carter are put together by default. Theoretically it should work, but it hasn't panned out in the past.

The combos would be:

Hartnell/Gagne-Richards-Carter
JVR-Giroux-Briere
Hartnell/Gagne-Powe-Asham

OR

Carter-Richards-Briere ?????
JVR-Giroux-Hartnell
Gagne-Powe-Asham

Or, they just could keep Gagne and Richards together and give them a more strict checking line role:

Powe-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Hartnell
Gagne-Richards-Asham

Old
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:

edit: oh I read your post wrong.

How about Richie with Roo and Riemer, to avoid the negative energy of combining Richards and Carter.

(obviously I want to see what Lavi's new combos can do first, but, if they don't work...)
So something like this:

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell/Gagne-Carter-Briere

Old
01-29-2010, 06:44 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
So something like this:

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell/Gagne-Carter-Briere
Going off of flyguy's idea, it would be:

JVR-Giroux-Richards
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Powe-Asham

Pretty hard to "demote" a player on this team, lol.

...Although your first line with Richards at center is probably more realistic since Giroux shoots right.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
After a game like last night, **** like this just seems to be moving deck chairs on the Titanic.

Hartnell has been just awful, yet gets bumped up to the top line. Hmm... Though our "top" line has not been playing like one at all.

Lets put Giroux and Briere back together

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:11 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
The Caps have been sick lately, putting on a clinic. They had a 7 goal game and Ovechkin didn't have a point.
Yea that and they have allowed very few goals as well. The good thing for us that Semin gets hot and then cools down. Hopefully hes "cold" if we see them in the playoffs.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Flyers2112

Quote:
yup....they actually WANT to win, we stand no chance against the Caps or the Pens in a 7 game series.........case closed!!

Flyers2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:59 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Quote:
Going off of flyguy's idea, it would be:

JVR-Giroux-Richards
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Powe-Asham

Pretty hard to "demote" a player on this team, lol.

...Although your first line with Richards at center is probably more realistic since Giroux shoots right.
Yeah, Richards should never ever be moved from the center position unless he's playing the point on the PP.

Old
01-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea that and they have allowed very few goals as well. The good thing for us that Semin gets hot and then cools down. Hopefully hes "cold" if we see them in the playoffs.
I don't think it matters who the Flyers see in the playoffs. They'll be lucky to win two games against any of the top 4.

Old
01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
harts played RW with Gagne and Briere before

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:07 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

So our cold winger is joining our ice cold first line. NICE!

Carcillo-Betts-Lappy should be our first line

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:04 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
I like Powe, but why is he in the top 6? Any of Giroux, JVR, or Carcillo are better options. With that said Hartnell has been awful this season. I thought his contract was bad before now it's really embarrassing.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:27 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I like Powe, but why is he in the top 6? Any of Giroux, JVR, or Carcillo are better options. With that said Hartnell has been awful this season. I thought his contract was bad before now it's really embarrassing.
Well first Carcillo should be no where near the top 6. Giroux plays better at center (yet again putting up points when in the middle more then the wing) and JVR is a rookie who Lavy is trying to get some ice time but not to much where he will burn out.

I dont have a problem with this. Harts and Richie had chemistry before and maybe that whole line will get going.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I don't think it matters who the Flyers see in the playoffs. They'll be lucky to win two games against any of the top 4.
I'm tempted to quote this come playoff time. I don't believe I've ever seen you post anything positive about the Flyers here. Ever.

Quote:
Well first Carcillo should be no where near the top 6. Giroux plays better at center (yet again putting up points when in the middle more then the wing) and JVR is a rookie who Lavy is trying to get some ice time but not to much where he will burn out.

I dont have a problem with this. Harts and Richie had chemistry before and maybe that whole line will get going.
Agreed. I've been fine with all of the lines except the first line for most of the season. No matter who we put with Richards (and now Gagne) that line just doesn't seem to work at all. Might as well try out someone new there. If it doesn't work then at least we know it doesn't work. Powe should be more effective on a line that doesn't suck anyway.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:58 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Carcillo might not have the pure skill that some of the top 6 do, but at least he shows up and comes to play every night. Maybe if he was on one of the lines, he'd chew someone out for not playing up to par and maybe they'd show up.

Our bottom six has been better than our top six and honestly, it isn't even close. They show up, they hustle, they check, they fight, they do everything they can to win. If our top guys even had a drop of what those guys have, this team would be a dominant team. And that's sad. Absolutely zero heart from our top guys. Sometimes I wish Clarke was the GM because you know he'd be tearing new ones into the guys who play in the top six spots. As well, our captain doesn't seem to give a crap either, and that bugs me to no hell.

Richards is supposed to be the leader of this group. This is supposed to be his team. All what I've heard about Richards is how he's a "quiet leader" and he wants to lead by "what he does on the ice." Sometimes, you need to speak up and rip people when they aren't performing and he's failed to do that. Oh yeah, he's got into a scrum with the media about the whole partying thing and everybody viewed him as a hero, but when it comes to his own team, he says jack s-h-i-t. It's time for Mike to grab the reins and start being a leader. If it means tearing a new one into Gagne for not finishing on the ludicrous amounts of chances he's been getting, then he needs to do it. If it means ripping on Hartnell for playing like crap, yet continuing to pick up a 4+ million dollar a year pay cheque, then do it. If it means holding guys like Pronger, Carle and Coburn accountable for their piss poor play, then do it. Instead, he does nothing. Absolutely disappointing.

I say put a C on Laperriere and give Betts and Carcillo the As and I guarantee the atmosphere in Philadelphia changes. For way too long, players have come into Philadelphia and don't care. They act like they're entitled to the ice time they're supposed to get and they act like they're entitled to be paid a premium. The sense of entitlement needs to stop and instead, an attitude of being grateful to play for one of the best owned franchises in the league should become the norm again.

Yeah, I'm mad. I'm mad that this team took a huge dump in mid November to late December and did nothing but roll over like a dog. I'm mad that this team replaced a mediocre coach with a good coach and there doesn't seem to be any sense of desperation from anyone. I'm mad that they've played some games this month that they've won when they didn't deserve to. I'm mad to see that the top guys are still taking nights off when they want and that our captain refuses to hold guys accountable. I'm mad that the mediocre play continues and there's no sense of urgency that we're a low seed in the East. This is supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender and they look like anything but.

I've been a die hard fan of this franchise for over 30 years and I've never seen a group of players who have played for the Flyers that have acted like this. Not even Lindros acted like these guys are. It's a complete disgrace to watch and it rips my heart out to no end to watch guys that just don't care.

Give me a team made of Carcillos, Laperrieres and Betts. They show up, they come to play, and more important, they care.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Carcillo might not have the pure skill that some of the top 6 do, but at least he shows up and comes to play every night. Maybe if he was on one of the lines, he'd chew someone out for not playing up to par and maybe they'd show up.

Our bottom six has been better than our top six and honestly, it isn't even close. They show up, they hustle, they check, they fight, they do everything they can to win. If our top guys even had a drop of what those guys have, this team would be a dominant team. And that's sad. Absolutely zero heart from our top guys. Sometimes I wish Clarke was the GM because you know he'd be tearing new ones into the guys who play in the top six spots. As well, our captain doesn't seem to give a crap either, and that bugs me to no hell.

Richards is supposed to be the leader of this group. This is supposed to be his team. All what I've heard about Richards is how he's a "quiet leader" and he wants to lead by "what he does on the ice." Sometimes, you need to speak up and rip people when they aren't performing and he's failed to do that. Oh yeah, he's got into a scrum with the media about the whole partying thing and everybody viewed him as a hero, but when it comes to his own team, he says jack s-h-i-t. It's time for Mike to grab the reins and start being a leader. If it means tearing a new one into Gagne for not finishing on the ludicrous amounts of chances he's been getting, then he needs to do it. If it means ripping on Hartnell for playing like crap, yet continuing to pick up a 4+ million dollar a year pay cheque, then do it. If it means holding guys like Pronger, Carle and Coburn accountable for their piss poor play, then do it. Instead, he does nothing. Absolutely disappointing.

I say put a C on Laperriere and give Betts and Carcillo the As and I guarantee the atmosphere in Philadelphia changes. For way too long, players have come into Philadelphia and don't care. They act like they're entitled to the ice time they're supposed to get and they act like they're entitled to be paid a premium. The sense of entitlement needs to stop and instead, an attitude of being grateful to play for one of the best owned franchises in the league should become the norm again.

Yeah, I'm mad. I'm mad that this team took a huge dump in mid November to late December and did nothing but roll over like a dog. I'm mad that this team replaced a mediocre coach with a good coach and there doesn't seem to be any sense of desperation from anyone. I'm mad that they've played some games this month that they've won when they didn't deserve to. I'm mad to see that the top guys are still taking nights off when they want and that our captain refuses to hold guys accountable. I'm mad that the mediocre play continues and there's no sense of urgency that we're a low seed in the East. This is supposed to be a Stanley Cup contender and they look like anything but.

I've been a die hard fan of this franchise for over 30 years and I've never seen a group of players who have played for the Flyers that have acted like this. Not even Lindros acted like these guys are. It's a complete disgrace to watch and it rips my heart out to no end to watch guys that just don't care.

Give me a team made of Carcillos, Laperrieres and Betts. They show up, they come to play, and more important, they care.
This **** again?

I won't comment on the rest of the post, but the "put Carcillo in the top six" experiment has been done and it failed. He doesn't bring anything offensively in a top six role except for the ability to grind.

Even if don't believe that, even if you believe that he could perform in the top six, then why would you want to break up our best line (the Betts line) by taking a third of it apart?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:56 AM
jb**

powe doesnt belong anywhere near the top 2 lines. He is a borderline 3rd line player. He adds little when placed with skill players. He is out of his element and that is on the coach.

Gagne-briere-giroux-had some success, gagne and briere struggling, maybe this helps

jv-carter-richards
hartnell-powe-asham

for a guy like gagne to continue to miss wide opeen chances is not good. All players struggle at some point but those are the ones that make you wonder. He may be in a rapid decline, scoring wise. Reminds me of kappenen a little as when he lost his scoring touch, it went fast.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:02 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

pretty much. However other players, even though not being the captain can certainly step up and rip into someone and they should. As i have said before, this is the most unlikeable flyers team i can remember. The incompetence starts at the top though. They need a complete enema and getting rid of holmgen is a start.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:05 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
pretty much. However other players, even though not being the captain can certainly step up and rip into someone and they should. As i have said before, this is the most unlikeable flyers team i can remember. The incompetence starts at the top though. They need a complete enema and getting rid of holmgen is a start.
Quite frankly, I find it hard to believe that there is a likable Flyers team you can remember.

This team is fine. Everyone panics after every loss here.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote