HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings interested in Lecavalier

Old
01-30-2010, 12:32 AM
wicker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
I think so too. Once you waive it, it's no longer in effect.
I'm not sure, as well, but that sounds close to what I remember reading on the Oilers board when the Lubo trade went down. The new team gets to choose to honor the NTC or do with it what they will.

I liked your idea, btw!

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:33 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
I'm not sure, as well, but that sounds close to what I remember reading on the Oilers board when the Lubo trade went down. The new team gets to choose to honor the NTC or do with it what they will.

I liked your idea, btw!
That's what it was. The new team chooses.

With Lubo though, he was traded before the NTC kicked in, so I'm not sure if that effects it. I remember the discussion you are referring to though.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Guys, this is crazy, but how about...

We trade for Lecavalier for Moller+prospects, then flip him plus our first to Atlanta for Kovalchuk. We end up re-signing Kovalchuk, Atlanta gets a guy that can help them now and in the future and everyone wins!

...then reality hits.
Like you stated reality hit LOL.

Even if the NTC is not in effect anymore, can you imagine how the Kings organization would be viewed if Lecavalier waives his NTC clause thinking he's going to LA but then gets shipped to ATL unwillingly?

Now if, VL wouldn't mind going to ATL, and ATL wants him then this really could work!

Kind of like the Holliday/Lee deal (Baseball).

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:57 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

seems a lot to give up imo...no thanks.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Not worth it, no thanks on Vinny

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:17 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

****, no word of this from Eklund. Could be true.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:22 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
That's what it was. The new team chooses.

With Lubo though, he was traded before the NTC kicked in, so I'm not sure if that effects it. I remember the discussion you are referring to though.
The new team chooses only if the player is acquired before his contract comes into effect like Lubo. With Vinny, who is already on the contract, this would not be the case, his contract would still have the NTC in it.

This is the same reason Smyth's contract still has it, the Kings were not given the option to drop it, they have to honor it.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I wouldn't take his Contract for free...........

10 millions.............. these guys are nuts

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Vinny makes alot of sense.

DL kind of player, locked up to a 7.7m dollar cap hit for basically what would be the same amount of years as Kovi.

Not as prolific as Kovi but he is an elite center.

Still I'd rather go after a couple of rentals and try to sign Kovi on 7/1.

Simmonds should not be included in any deal.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:57 AM
nikolai19

First of all, let's look at this from a personnel perspective.
Kopitar is the first line center. Why would you pay someone more to be the 2nd line center?
Let's look at the PP. Vinny usually plays the same side, same half wall that Kopi plays, so again...Kopi moves to the 2nd unit PP?

Now, Kovalchuk is not a center. Could play wing on the first line. Also, would take Stoll's spot on the PP. That makes more sense.

Not to mention everyone knows that Vinny's contract is an absolute albatross and he's going to be in Tampa for awhile regardless of their ownership situation.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:33 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
The new team chooses only if the player is acquired before his contract comes into effect like Lubo. With Vinny, who is already on the contract, this would not be the case, his contract would still have the NTC in it.

This is the same reason Smyth's contract still has it, the Kings were not given the option to drop it, they have to honor it.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Lead Role in a Cage

Tampa is in the playoff hunt. A couple of points or so away from being inside. Why would they give up Lecavalier now? They are not getting value for him, at least not from the Kings. Don't see it happening- Kings or any other team- unless the return provides immediate help for the playoffs as well as for the future.

Needless to say, not happening unless one GM loses his mind or if cash dictates play.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:16 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
There will probably be a three way trade.

First, Tampa Bay will trade Vinny to LA

Second, Atlanta trades Kovalchuk to the Kings

Third, Los Angeles trade Frolov to Atlanta and Tampa Bay. Frolov will rotate between playing for the Thrashers and the Lightning. This will be an easy transition for Frolov who has made a career showing up for every other game.

Fourth, whichever team (TB or ATL) does not currently control Frolov, will retain the rights to Aki Berg as collateral.

Finally, Los Angeles will trade a conditional pick to both Tampa Bay and Atlanta. The pick is not actually a draft pick but secretly a condition that if the Kings when the cup in 2010 the General Managers will have their names etched into the cup as a member of the Stanley Cup winning Los Angeles Kings. Randy Jones and Raitis Ivanan's names will accidentally be left off.
Post of the year.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:27 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake the Nation View Post
Tampa is in the playoff hunt. A couple of points or so away from being inside. Why would they give up Lecavalier now? They are not getting value for him, at least not from the Kings. Don't see it happening- Kings or any other team- unless the return provides immediate help for the playoffs as well as for the future.

Needless to say, not happening unless one GM loses his mind or if cash dictates play.
New owners want to cut payroll, or soon to be new owners.. or whatever the **** is going on down there

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:29 AM
tbrads

I think Lombardi doesnt even want Vinny, and really wants Kovi. So he is talking to many teams, this way not only does it give the Kings more opportuninity for a trade, but also lets Waddell know for one that he is high if he thinks he is getting the 4-5 pieces he is asking for Kovi and two the Kings have other options.

DL did not rebuild this team the past several years (and put the fans through excruciating pain in the process) to trade away JJ, Simmonds, etc. Those two guys fill two key holes. I am sure DL wants Kovi, but unless Waddell gets off the pipe, I think he waits until July 1st. Bring on Whitney.

tbrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Capn Brown

If Dean extends Handzus' contract two more years @ $4 million in exchange for Handzus agreeing to waive his NMC, then flipping Handzus (along with picks & prospects) for Vinny would only be like adding $3.2 million in salary over the next 3 seasons (not including this one)!

Plus, everybody wins!

1) Tampa frees up cap space & gets an experienced, decent veteran center.

2) Handzus gets paid $4 million when he's 35.

3) We WIN BIG in the short-term by having the one-two punch of Vinny + Kopi down the center.

Do it Deano!!!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
There will probably be a three way trade.

First, Tampa Bay will trade Vinny to LA

Second, Atlanta trades Kovalchuk to the Kings

Third, Los Angeles trade Frolov to Atlanta and Tampa Bay. Frolov will rotate between playing for the Thrashers and the Lightning. This will be an easy transition for Frolov who has made a career showing up for every other game.

Fourth, whichever team (TB or ATL) does not currently control Frolov, will retain the rights to Aki Berg as collateral.

Finally, Los Angeles will trade a conditional pick to both Tampa Bay and Atlanta. The pick is not actually a draft pick but secretly a condition that if the Kings when the cup in 2010 the General Managers will have their names etched into the cup as a member of the Stanley Cup winning Los Angeles Kings. Randy Jones and Raitis Ivanan's names will accidentally be left off.
Freaken awesome. Nice post....

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:39 AM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
Like you stated reality hit LOL.

Even if the NTC is not in effect anymore, can you imagine how the Kings organization would be viewed if Lecavalier waives his NTC clause thinking he's going to LA but then gets shipped to ATL unwillingly?

Now if, VL wouldn't mind going to ATL, and ATL wants him then this really could work!

Kind of like the Holliday/Lee deal (Baseball).
Atlanta doesnt want to give $10 mil to a superstar whose lead their team since the very beginning....but they would fork that over for Lecavalier? I don't see it.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

I think Whitney is the most realistic upgrade we're gonna get by the deadline. I just don't see DL giving up what Atl or TB want. I'm not convinced Vinny makes complete sense. Too much cash and TB is looking to make the playoffs so they're gonna want some key pieces. (Simmonds at least).

I see Chicago getting Kovi as they can shed some cap and make a real run at the cup. No way they can keep him so he gets cut loose in July and its race for Kovi. I think we have a better chance to get him in the offseason but not likely now..

Overall, I think this will be a very good year for LA. But adding the big piece will not likely come before the deadline since the asking price will be too high and there is no guarantee for Kovi to stick with us, ergo DL is not gonna part with our core unless he is getting a return. Took us too long to get here.

Unless, we decide to tank this entire rebuild process and start over because we just enjoy the punishment.......

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
onlyalad

The only part of this I like is
Quote:
The Kings are a natural destination for Lecavalier, partly because it’s believed he would not block a trade to Los Angeles
Another big name player is Said to be willing to come to the Kings. Two years ago every trade rumor had the phrase "____ would block any deal to LA"

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Youngblood93

If the Kings traded for Vinny they'd be doing TB a favor by taking his contract. If that is the case i don't think DL would have to give up that much IMO. Maybe some draft picks and prospects. A decent roster player with a good contract (Stoll)

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Whitney looks more and more likely

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Johnny Utah

Um....with that contract they should be giving Lecavlier away for draft picks.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
JMFJ 3

Whitney or bust

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:19 PM
funky

The only good thing about Vinnie's contract is the last 3 years of 4 mil, 1.5 mil and 1 mil. Thats only $722,222 buyout per year which was just less then Cloutier and a touch more then MacCauley.

That gives us 7 years of Vinnie at 7,727,273 + 6 years buyout at 722,222 vs 7 to 10 years of Kovalchuk at excess of 8.5 mil plus the uncertanty of him bolting to Russia if he's not happy.

To me these contracts almost even out, so the more important issues become at what assets does it cost to aquire these two and would we be stronger with a superstar combo of centers or a highlight reel LW.

EDIT

I noticed the first three years of Vinnie's buyout if bought out in his last 3 years, would come with a cap hit of 4.5, 7. and 7.5 million befor switching to 3 years at 722,222 which makes a world of difference. That truely is a horrible contract cap hit wise unless I am reading this wrong?

Last edited by funky: 01-30-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: wrong info
funky is offline   Reply With Quote