HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Esche's views on the KHL

Old
01-29-2010, 07:15 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Robert Esche's views on the KHL

Just an interesting read.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,216558

Quote:
I caught up with Robert Esche after a recent KHL game between SKA and Dinamo Minsk to get his take on playing in the KHL. Esche was riding a bike in an NHL-like equipped training room inside the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg after his team dropped the decision to Dinamo Minsk.

Q. Do you think it is still an option for you being three years out of the NHL to come back to North America?

ESCHE: I don't know. Right now I am a free agent over here. Obviously, I love St. Petersburg, and I love playing over here. If it works in the NHL, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. I have kind of taken on a different role in my life, as opposed to when I was in Philly. I just went into a different direction. You just learn a lot about yourself when you're over here. I think this was something I was lacking in the NHL. I guess time will tell what happens.

Q. What was the toughest for you to adjust to in the KHL? Is this something that made you learn that something new about yourself?

When you're playing in the NHL you don't realize how many distractions there are. You tell yourself there are not. You look at the game and say that nothing bothers you. You tell yourself you're a warrior. You're a Canadian. You're an American. You're a tough guy. But the truth of the matter is you really do not learn how to be a professional, at least in the goaltending position, until you get older.

Coming over here, you don't know the language. You can't read newspapers. You don't care what people are saying about you. And you actually learn a lot about yourself. I think that that's something that's helped my game out immensely. I remember back in the States, playing for Philly -- and Philly is a great place to play in, but you read the paper every day. You know about the goaltending controversy every day. And slowly but surely it just chips away and you don't realize it until it's too late. That's the problem with experience. You don't get experience until it's too late. And I think that over here that's something that I managed to learn about myself.
Quote:
Q. Are you thinking about staying in the KHL or to try and have another go in the NHL like Ray Emery(notes)?

You know, I had a few good opportunities with Phoenix and Philly this summer. It just wasn't for me. I still have a year on my deal here. Phoenix was more serious toward the end. Philly was still trying to get Pronger and it was dragging along, and our KHL season was getting ready to start. I guess it's all relative.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-29-2010 at 07:27 PM.
ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Thanks for posting this Pikachu. From what Esche said at the end it seems both the Coyotes and the Flyers offered Esche a chance to come back.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

he'd fit right in w/ the Dodgers

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:52 AM
fire bettman

Wow.... I had no idea anyone in the NHL was interested in him up until now. It would be pretty cool to see him back in the states (as long as it's not in philly, I like the guy but.....) it doesn't really seem like he's too interested though.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:13 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
Wow.... I had no idea anyone in the NHL was interested in him up until now. It would be pretty cool to see him back in the states (as long as it's not in philly, I like the guy but.....) it doesn't really seem like he's too interested though.
I'll bet he's a better goalie now than when he left and he was good, if inconsistent, when he left. I'd consider it if I needed a goalie.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Lab Monkey

I still see Homer giving him a shot like he did Emery if we for some reason cant get Ray signed

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:21 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Good read.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
I still see Homer giving him a shot like he did Emery if we for some reason cant get Ray signed

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
As a backup...Emery was signed early on, so if he was talking to them when the Pronger stuff was going on, that would mean it was an Esche or Boucher discussion.

I always enjoyed Esche, and will always think fondly of him due to his emotional appearance on DNL following the announcement that the season was canceled.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote