HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RFA : Marc Staal

Old
01-30-2010, 11:57 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Souray put up almost a ppg in the WHL and Chara was sort of an anomaly.
So, Staal also put up almost a PPG during his next to last season in the OHL. And if you look at that team, there was almost no talent on it

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:59 AM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Good idea for a thread. I would really like to lock up Staal LT. In my opinion, before Slats goes after Kovalchuk, he better lock up Staal. If we lose him I will be really pissed. I believe that he will be our #1 D for many years, and will have the skills to do so once he is done developing.

With that said how about a 7 year deal with 3.5 per? I'm not really the best with player value, but does anybody else agree that that is within a fair range?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:03 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Good idea for a thread. I would really like to lock up Staal LT. In my opinion, before Slats goes after Kovalchuk, he better lock up Staal. If we lose him I will be really pissed. I believe that he will be our #1 D for many years, and will have the skills to do so once he is done developing.

With that said how about a 7 year deal with 3.5 per? I'm not really the best with player value, but does anybody else agree that that is within a fair range?
7 years at 3-3.5 would be cool with me, but i don't see Sather giving him that contract right after his ELC runs out. look at what dubinsky got....i see a 2 year deal for around 2 mil per...maybe less.

i wouldn't expect staal to get offer sheet'd.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
The Perfect Paradox

2 yr 2 mil, seems fine too. But if I'm Slats, I use that two year deal to gauge how much money I give him long term. He would be a UFA after that two year deal, correct?

Old
01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
2 yr 2 mil, seems fine too. But if I'm Slats, I use that two year deal to gauge how much money I give him long term. He would be a UFA after that two year deal, correct?
hed be a UFA when hes 27.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
hed be a UFA when hes 27.
I didn't realize it was that far away. He's 23 now, so 4 years should be plenty of time to judge his potential, and give him a long-term contract.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
NorthlandPro

Staal is a turnover machine on the rush in the offensive zone. He has trouble getting his shots on goal and towards the net as well. His physcial play is almost non existent this year. Potential is nice but after 3 years you have the right to expect a better all round game. His game has gone south not north this year. He needs to recognize what his game is and do it well. Torts screwed him up this year with the join the rush Marc crap. Nothing wrong with a solid stay at home shut down dman. We have enough offensive talent on the backline in the organization. He needs to start showing some leadership and stop being such a puss. When a 19 yr old is your most physical dman it is an indictment on players like Staal & Girardi. Right now I would trade him straight up for Phaneuf. Of course other players would have to go the other way for cap reasons to balance out the $.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
No one is giving him that much $$
But if someone did, we would not match it because 1) he would be overpriced at $5 and 2) we would get #1, #2 and #3, which is significant return. That said, I'd rather have Staal than those 3 picks. But Staal at $2.5m, not at $5.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM
satrabyk

Stall will get about 3 mill a year, people who say no, just wait and see.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:54 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Stall will get about 3 mill a year, people who say no, just wait and see.
Well i think it all depends, if he is signing a long term contract or whether he will do a 2 year deal. If its 2 year deal i expect something similiar to Callahans Salary. If slats decides to lock him up to a 7 year contract like some other teams have done with their young players. It could be 3.5-4mil... It would hurt us now but if hes making 4million in his prime it'll probably end up being a steal later in the contract.

But knowing slats hardballing ways with the young players he'll probably get Callys contract.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:17 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
Staal is a turnover machine on the rush in the offensive zone. He has trouble getting his shots on goal and towards the net as well. His physcial play is almost non existent this year. Potential is nice but after 3 years you have the right to expect a better all round game. His game has gone south not north this year. He needs to recognize what his game is and do it well. Torts screwed him up this year with the join the rush Marc crap. Nothing wrong with a solid stay at home shut down dman. We have enough offensive talent on the backline in the organization. He needs to start showing some leadership and stop being such a puss. When a 19 yr old is your most physical dman it is an indictment on players like Staal & Girardi. Right now I would trade him straight up for Phaneuf. Of course other players would have to go the other way for cap reasons to balance out the $.
Spot On. Exactly how I feel.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:40 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post

But knowing slats hardballing ways with the young players he'll probably get Callys contract.
If Sather drags his feet and leaves the kid twisting in the breeze, he'll get a fat offer sheet from someone else and we'll get to watch him have a nice career someplace else.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
msv957

Quote:

I agree.. Staal could be a #1D for many years.. If Sather can lock Staal in for 7 year or so at 3.5 per season, this would look like a great deal a few years from now...

With that said.. I have no idea how Sather can then go after Kovalchuck as a UFA.... How in the world would the Rangers fit Kovalchuck under the salary cap? I know Sather can do some creative things and etc but it is doubtful there will be another GM like Gainey last year who bailed out Sather with the Gomez contract...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
7 years at 3-3.5 would be cool with me

That would be great news for Rangers but I dont see Staal accepting that. I'm guessing he signs a 1 year deal. If he does get longterm deal it'll probably be a 4 year deal max, that way he can go for big bucks in 4 years time when he's just about to enter his prime.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:00 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
Right now I would trade him straight up for Phaneuf. Of course other players would have to go the other way for cap reasons to balance out the $.
Would Calgary trade Phaneuf for Staal?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

Probably a dumb question, but have the Staal brothers got the same agent? Both Jordan (4 years, 16M$) & Eric (3 years, 13,5 M$) signed juicy second contracts.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Who is Staal's agent? Meehan?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
darko