HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Green Suspended Three games by the NHL

Old
01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
DaleHunter

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
Anyone else find it a laugh that people were complaining about the caps announcers being homers on the kolikov-green knee hit....Locker was totally non-homer and extremely objective about it.
Maybe it's just my rose-colored glasses, but I think Locker is probably one of the most objective color guys in the business. He regularly blames Caps for stuff when they are at fault.

When I'm forced to listen to some of the opposing teams' broadcasts (both play-by-play guys and the color guys) on NHL Center Ice, the homer-ism is nauseating. I remember one Canes broadcast where the play-by-play guy just made a quick little mention of a HUGE hit by a Caps player in the Canes Defensive end where the Canes player ended up on the ice without a stick and a glove as "so-and-so gets rubbed out on the play, but clears the puck" ...then less than 30 seconds later, one of our D gets hit with a fairly routine, but solid hit against the boards, and neither players fall down or get woozy or anything, but the Play-by-play starts yelling about "so-and-so GETS FREIGHT-TRAINED INTO THE BOARDS BY [Canes player]!!! OH MY WHAT A HIT!!!

Makes me want to throw up.

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Roccoman

Dale - i hear ya, homerism is pretty noticeable when watching other broadcasts on Center Ice. Buffalo & Boston are 2 of my "favorites"... and of course the guy in Carolina with his "... and Cam Ward says NO!"

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Icetime

The more crazy **** our defense starts pulling the better.

Not only do teams fear our "shock and awe" offensive game as they rightly should, but if they ever had to start worrying that our defensive corps has a bunch of psychos on it we would be on the verge of a dynasty in the making.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
The more crazy **** our defense starts pulling the better.

Not only do teams fear our "shock and awe" offensive game as they rightly should, but if they ever had to start worrying that our defensive corps has a bunch of psychos on it we would be on the verge of a dynasty in the making.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So Green gets 3 games and this gets nothing:

Complete ********. How is Green's any worse than Gonchar's? At least Green didn't leave his feet like Gonchar did.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
HunterSThompson

i think a big reason for the suspension was because of green getting hit earlier in the shift, it kind of seemed like a retaliation type of hit

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter View Post
Maybe it's just my rose-colored glasses, but I think Locker is probably one of the most objective color guys in the business. He regularly blames Caps for stuff when they are at fault.

When I'm forced to listen to some of the opposing teams' broadcasts (both play-by-play guys and the color guys) on NHL Center Ice, the homer-ism is nauseating. I remember one Canes broadcast where the play-by-play guy just made a quick little mention of a HUGE hit by a Caps player in the Canes Defensive end where the Canes player ended up on the ice without a stick and a glove as "so-and-so gets rubbed out on the play, but clears the puck" ...then less than 30 seconds later, one of our D gets hit with a fairly routine, but solid hit against the boards, and neither players fall down or get woozy or anything, but the Play-by-play starts yelling about "so-and-so GETS FREIGHT-TRAINED INTO THE BOARDS BY [Canes player]!!! OH MY WHAT A HIT!!!

Makes me want to throw up.
Laughlin certainly seems to try to be unbiased, but he's so unbelievably stupid that it probably doesn't even matter.

But otherwise, agreed. It's sometimes hard to believe how awful other teams' announcers are.

Quote:
i think a big reason for the suspension was because of green getting hit earlier in the shift, it kind of seemed like a retaliation type of hit
That sure would be ironic, since that was supposedly the reason for Gonchar's not being suspended.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
I thought Gonchar's was retaliation (for getting hit by Clutterbuck) as well.

Old
01-30-2010, 12:55 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
I think Wiz's point is that Gonchar targeted Clutterbuck BECAUSE Clutterbuck had nailed Gonchar just before that. Brickley references just that on the clip.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:55 PM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
sure would be ironic, since that was supposedly the reason for Gonchar's not being suspended.
wow i didn't know that, pretty interesting

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think Wiz's point is that Gonchar targeted Clutterbuck BECAUSE Clutterbuck had nailed Gonchar just before that. Brickley references just that on the clip.
Yep, it's the same exact scenario, except that Gonchar left his feet, and plays for the Penguins.

Old
01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Fallschirmyager

Do I think the hit required punishment? yes.
However, this is a first time offender and as shown in the Gonchar hit, not horribly dissimilar to other hits that were not given suspensions.

Colin Campbell really does need to step down as he is categorically unable to do this job evenly and fairly. The only thing he's proven to be good at in this job is confusing everyone as to his reasoning.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Just throwing this out there:

Green hit this guy's teammate. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

According to Dreger on TSN last night, Campbell wasn't going to be involved in the decision because of that. The hearing was with Mike Murphy.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
Wow is that an old pic

Atleast Green will have that knee rested.

EYEuhFRAYtee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
Do I think the hit required punishment? yes.
However, this is a first time offender and as shown in the Gonchar hit, not horribly dissimilar to other hits that were not given suspensions.

Colin Campbell really does need to step down as he is categorically unable to do this job evenly and fairly. The only thing he's proven to be good at in this job is confusing everyone as to his reasoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Campbell recuses himself from rulings for every incident involving his son's team, the Panthers, specifically so that conflict of interest claims can be thrown out the window. His deputy, Mike Murphy, handles those cases.

Dreger: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=308193

NHL disciplinarian, Colin Campbell, has to remain impartial in the decision making because his son, Gregory, plays for the Panthers.

So Mike Murphy, Campbell's deputy, will oversee this but they'll take a look at it and I'm sure there will be a hearing.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

first time seeing the gonchar hit. Seems like everything is similar. The difference can be made that Clutterbuck was still and Gonchar's elbow wasn't into his head with the violence caused on Green's hit due to their momentum.

Either way its bush league without some serious explanation.

Oh well. Whatever helps people sleep at night.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:40 PM
sunnydaycrash

and the worse part of all this in regards to the Lightning game ?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...to-suspen.html

"With Green out, Boudreau said he'll turn to seldom-used D-man Tyler Sloan for tomorrow's game against the Lightning."

Ugh!

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

at least he followed that statement up with "after that we'll evaluate and see". Good to know that BB has TFS on a game by game status.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Fallschirmyager

"Campbell recuses himself from rulings for every incident involving his son's team, the Panthers, specifically so that conflict of interest claims can be thrown out the window. His deputy, Mike Murphy, handles those cases."

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

I'm still extremely critical of Campbell regardless. I am still critical of this suspension as well. It is completely inconsistent with other incidents by other players that have and have not received previous punishments for similar hits.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:51 PM
tzinc

good Lord the NHL is a m.f. joke Green with no record gets 3 game meanwhile a goon who plays 1 minute a game crushes him and gets nothing
WOW NHL CAMPBELL BETTMAN all are a pathetic joke

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
txpd

The guy is on the roster to play when necessary not to even out the practice pairs. Like it or not these kind of things are why he is there.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
at least he followed that statement up with "after that we'll evaluate and see". Good to know that BB has TFS on a game by game status.
It`s a shame that Grant Mcneil isn`t on a NHL contract so he can be called up just for Sunday just to pound on Konopka.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a4iLnayzwo

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Campbell recuses himself from rulings for every incident involving his son's team, the Panthers, specifically so that conflict of interest claims can be thrown out the window. His deputy, Mike Murphy, handles those cases.

Dreger: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=308193

NHL disciplinarian, Colin Campbell, has to remain impartial in the decision making because his son, Gregory, plays for the Panthers.

So Mike Murphy, Campbell's deputy, will oversee this but they'll take a look at it and I'm sure there will be a hearing.
well, obviously Murphy is gonna throw the book at Green, if not, whats his boss gonna say behind closed doors...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
good Lord the NHL is a m.f. joke Green with no record gets 3 game meanwhile a goon who plays 1 minute a game crushes him and gets nothing
WOW NHL CAMPBELL BETTMAN all are a pathetic joke
Its not a big deal.