HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Green Suspended Three games by the NHL

Old
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

vCash: 500
My biggest concern moving forward is that our stars are now in the repeat offender category. Anything they do from now on will receive harsher treatment.
Posted via Mobile Device

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:01 PM
txpd

That concerns me to an extent. I think Ovechkin has changed since his suspension and taking the C. I think Green on the other hand has been sending a message. IIRC Green has knocked three guys out of the game or close just this season. I think its Green that has been sending the message.

I expect he will be more careful. I think he has successfully sent the message that he wanted to put on the table.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
My biggest concern moving forward is that our stars are now in the repeat offender category. Anything they do from now on will receive harsher treatment.
Posted via Mobile Device
yep, those dirty Caps, but Richards and "the likes" can rome around the ice blind siding people (booth incident) and it is perfectly fine...

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
tzinc

i think it is a big deal the the NHL has an unprofessional and bad approach to suspensions

i believe this approach increases the likelihood of a serious injury to players

i believe the NHL should approach suspensions in a better way than it has been doing under Campbell and Bettman if only to make it safer for players

so i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Retaliatory, premeditated, elbow, and to the head in the current climate. Glad he showed some snarl, but the penalty is about right, or not off by much.
I have to agree. Green led with the elbow...IMO, that's why he got the 3 games (and it was retaliatory).

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Whopper88

So Boudreau is not calling up Alzner or Carlson and he is going with TFS! That sucks.

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
I have to agree. Green led with the elbow...IMO, that's why he got the 3 games (and it was retaliatory).
It was. So was Gonchar's. That is my main issue. That and Koci drilled Green right between the 5 and 2 on his back and got squat.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Don't agree with the decision, but whatever. Tampa, Boston, Rags. Three mediocre teams playing crappy hockey. Green's knee could use the rest.

We're not the first ones to question the consistency of the NHL's suspension decisions, and we won't be the last.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
According to Dreger on TSN last night, Campbell wasn't going to be involved in the decision because of that. The hearing was with Mike Murphy.
Fantastic, so not only are the suspensions massively inconsistent, the review process is as well.

And, for the record, in a vacuum I have no issue with the suspension. It's just that in the context of worse offenses (Gonchar, Koci, etc.) that went unpunished, the Green punishment is absurd.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:15 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I dont think these guys are in playoff mode. I know youve said this lately, but its not there yet
Before this current streak, when was the last time you saw Laich Fehr and maybe even Knuble jabbing away at pucks under opposing goalies? I didnt see anyone do it once in a RS game in 2009. Dale used to do it all the time. In the new NHL, I had only seen that in the playoffs. Maybe other teams do it. I dunno.

Even Gordon has been hitting people. Sarge. Laich looks like a man possessed at times, helmut optional. Green having guys in the guard. Green dropping a pretty hardcore elbow. Ovi dropping the gloves. Mo with a cleanout last night. Maybe it was just all Ovi getting the C. I dunno. But we are bringing what i think may be easiest referred to as a playoff look. Everyone looks desperate. I love it. It had just been so rare to see any passion out of players (outside of Ovi of course) game in and game out in the RS.

It all has a playoff feel to me.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:59 PM
txpd

Personally, If these guy are going to try and play the final 40 games of the regular season with playoff intensity, they will be burned out before the season ends.

They are just playing with more confidence and with a better idea of what they can do and need to do.
"even Boyd Gordon is hitting"....Gordon just saw Steckel get a deal while he has missed a lot of the season on the shelf. He wants a contract and not a ticket to Edmonton.

I think you are jumping to conclusions.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:41 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
So Boudreau is not calling up Alzner or Carlson and he is going with TFS! That sucks.

He said TS will play tomorrow and they will assess the situation after that.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
only for 18 months. Come the start of the 2012 season, Green will no longer be a repeat offender if nothing happens in the intermediary. Ovechkin's suspension was in November, so he'll be free and clear come May 2012 should the Caps still be playing. The very definition that the league is allowed to use for repeat offender status is spelled out in the CBA.

What annoys me is how when a Caps player gets suspended, something comparable props up with a rival that gets nothing.

The difference between Green and Gonchar? Gonchar's was much worse but Green gets a suspension.

The difference between the Richards and Brashear hits? Richards came from the blind side, But Brashear throws the same hit and gets 5 games for it while Richards gets nothing.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Hale Dunter

Absurd in light of the Gonchar non action.

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Semin

It is what it is, Green can use the 3 games to rest up. Was it just a charlie horse that was hurting him yesterday?

It kinda makes me mad that Gonchar got nothing for his incident. But what can you do about it.

I like the fact that Green stepped up to make the hit, even though it was with his elbow but the fact that he stepped up was awesome. He can sure make some pretty good hits. I hope he starts making some more of those hits, but tuck his elbow in.

And I'm really started to enjoy all the hate the Caps are getting lately. The junk some of these posters come up with is pretty entertaining.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Personally, If these guy are going to try and play the final 40 games of the regular season with playoff intensity, they will be burned out before the season ends.

They are just playing with more confidence and with a better idea of what they can do and need to do.
"even Boyd Gordon is hitting"....Gordon just saw Steckel get a deal while he has missed a lot of the season on the shelf. He wants a contract and not a ticket to Edmonton.

I think you are jumping to conclusions.

the leagues disciplinary measures will always be confounding so long as inept persons are making the decisions.

makes for some good interwebz fodder though...

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Retaliatory, premeditated, elbow, and to the head in the current climate. Glad he showed some snarl, but the penalty is about right, or not off by much.
Agree. I expected 2 games so 3 was only 1 higher than I expected.

I didn't agree with the Gonchar decision and at the time, I was pretty surprised by some of Campbell's comments, but I have to think events that have happened this season in hockey, including the recent Cormier hit impacts these decisions. The Murphy vs Campbell situation isn't going to change things much, but it can explain a game or two difference, I assume.

So Green misses Sunday vs TBL, Tue at BOS, Thu at NYR and returns for the Atlanta game at home on Friday if he is healthy.

Hopefully, his knee is ok, but a few games rest is not going to be a bad thing at this time. The only concern as some others have noted, is the 'repeat offender' category going forward.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

wow... talk about being inconsistent.
i really do wonder about how they get to some decisions compared to others. weirdos.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
txpd

I wonder a little. Are the two Caps players suspended this season the lowest PIM players to be suspended?

Old
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper88 View Post
Don't be a hater. I for one will be wearing my sloan jersey tomorrow afternoon.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:17 PM
pga5

Quote:
Personally, If I were to guess, I would say that the League doesnt like the Capitals attitude. Green is crushed in the numbers by Koci and that passes by with a fine. They didnt like Green's attitude on that play. Here this is as much about attitude as the actual play when you reference Gonchar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
ALOT of Caps hate on the main boards these days, guess i dont read over there enough to notice it most times... arrogant posters dont help that much, nor does the Caps hanging 5+ on folks fave teams nightly.
These posts were spot on.

There's a lot of Caps hate going on, and the league's Old Guard definitely doesn't like their attitude. We probably didn't see it as much last season because the Capitals let up on occasion in games. This team is not easing off in the third period as of late. Putting up that five spot...having your captain say he wants the fans to have free wings every home game...the coach writing a book before his team has won anything significant at the NHL level...the team owner writing a blog about whatever suits him...doesn't exactly earn points with the Old Guard. Meanwhile, our arrogant posters start spouting off nonsense doesn't exactly help an image problem. I wouldn't put the Caps up there with the Gretzky Oilers at the moment.

The days where the Capitals weren't getting enough publicity are over. It will be interesting to see how well the team...and its fans...handle it.

pga5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:17 PM
bags92

I'm not sure that deserved three games. I personally only thought he'd get a fine. He's never been a repeat offender on any of this stuff as far as I can remember. Yeah, it was a dirty hit, and if he would have got suspended for a game I would have been fine with it. But 3 seems a little harsh to me.

I know the Cormier elbow has the hockey world in shock right now. But I don't think that called for a 3 game suspension.

And I believe Koci blasted him into the boards in the Avs Caps game in Colorado and Koci got nothing for that. Typical Campbell

bags92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:44 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pga5 View Post
I wouldn't put the Caps up there with the Gretzky Oilers at the moment.

The days where the Capitals weren't getting enough publicity are over. It will be interesting to see how well the team...and its fans...handle it.
You could almost see all this coming. The Caps have had defensive zone trouble and goaltending trouble and they are roundly and regularly taken to task over that and their ability to hold a lead and close out games has been openly questioned.

The result of that to my eyes is that the Caps have learned how to hold those leads and close out those games. Its keeping the throttle down and burying their opponents. Anyone notice that during this run that when the opposing goaltender slams the door on them after a 15 shot first period, rather than start the 2nd period looking beat down and frustrated, they come right back out and pour it on.

BTW....Butch Goring in the most recent game on Long Island compared the Caps to Gretzky's Oilers.

Old
01-30-2010, 09:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see it at all. They're not hitting like in the playoffs. Until that picks up and they hit with intent across the whole roster, I don't see it.

And yes Gonchar probably deserved something, but I think because how Green had his elbow out in front of him (kinda spear like), that's why he got suspended. He didn't bring it up as the hit occured, he went looking for the hit with the elbow.

In any case....headshots have to stop in the NHL. Hopefully this is the start of some consistant discipline from the league.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
pman25

I doubt headshots and dirty plays will stop. Hockey has always been violent and dirty, it's not going to change because we start handing out a bunch of suspensions

pman25 is offline   Reply With Quote