HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate DL and TM from 1-10

Old
01-29-2010, 09:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Rate DL and TM from 1-10

I believe we had similar thread not too long ago but instead of a contract extension, just rate them from 1-10.

And yes, you can use decimals as long as it's in increments of .5.

I rate DL at 8.5 and TM at 7.0

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:43 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Dean 6.5

Murray 6.0

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Hollywood

Dean 8.5
Terry 5.0

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Dean 9.0
TM 4.5

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Dl 9.0

Tm 8.0

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:21 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

eleventy

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Dean - 7.5
TM - 6

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Shellz

Terry - 7
Dean - 9

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Dean 8
Murray 3 basically wanna give 1 but the defense is getting better
so he deserves a big fat 3

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:40 AM
William H Bonney

Dean - 8

Terry - 4

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:00 AM
hangons

Dean 9 (Lost a point for taking Teubs over Meyer)
TM 7

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Dean 8
Murray 3 basically wanna give 1 but the defense is getting better
so he deserves a big fat 3
LMAO 3? That's not even average...wow I'm the done with this thread.

NEXT!

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

DL -7
TM - 4
Posted via Mobile Device

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Mindcircus

Giving a 3 to a head coach that has his team in the middle of the playoff pack is rather cynical don't you think?

DL deserves an 8. Not only has he drafted pretty well he's brought in some guys who have really held the team together like Handzus, O'Donnell, Smyth, and even Richardson. We'd be in the toilet without a handful of these guys.

TM deserves a 7, which in my mind is still a good score. I like his defensive mindset for his forwards, but it sort of handcuffs our more skilled players. Give and take i guess. Hey, it's working right now so i won't complain too much. Playing or even thinking about playing Randy Jones at this point brings the score down.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:14 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus View Post
Playing or even thinking about playing Randy Jones at this point brings the score down.
Come on....really?

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:40 AM
Fishhead

DL - 8.5

I thought about a lower score, but honestly he's only made one huge mistake in Cloutier, he should never have listened to Crawford. Crawford was a minor mistake too, but he had a pretty good resume. Looking back the guys he brought in were good bridge players and did have a positive effect on the young guys. His drafting has been exceptional, as has (in my opinion) player development. The system is deep with solid players, and he sticks with his vision even though it's been tough at times.

TM - 7.5

Things I like -

He's honest with the players. the fans, and the media.
He's pretty good at line combinations, and has been much more steady with them this year.
He's had patience with the young guys, but challenges them at the same time.
This team has had some injuries to major parts and has held it together. They play as a cohesive unit that believes in a system.

Things I don't care for -

He plays Quick too much.
He doesn't call time-outs to stop the bleeding enough for my taste.
The team doesn't play creative when it is appropriate and is predictable at times.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Dean 9
TM 7

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:20 PM
FTheScene

DL - 8

Te Mu - 7

FTheScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:31 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Each category worth two, half point per letter grade. A = 2, B = 1.5, C = 1, D = 0.5, F = 0

Terry Murray

Offensive Strategy: B -- 1.5/2 (Kings have an inconsistent but mostly good and potentially VERY good offense)
Defensive Strategy: B -- 1.5/2 (Murray knows defense and he shouldn’t be blamed for the injuries to his blueliners)
Leadership: C -- 1/2 (Concentration of the team wavers, questionable refusal to call time out in appropriate situations)
Handling Goalies: D -- 0.5/2 (Quick playing every minute is a poor idea of “handling” this position)
Roster Management: C -- 1/2 (Has done a very good job placing some in the right position to succeed, and a puzzlingly terrible job with others)

TOTAL: 5.5/10 C

Dean Lombardi

Trades: B -- 1.5/2 (Greene and Stoll was good, getting Smyth essentially on waivers via Quincey was excellent)
Free Agents/Other Deals: D -- 0.5/2 (Ugh. Preissing, McCauley, Thornton, the extension for Cloutier, the Cammalleri and Blake departure fiascos)
Drafts/Farm System: B -- 1.5/2 (Doughty was basically dropped in his lap, but Simmonds was a genuinely good pick, and the farm system has received the appropriate shot in the arm from the team losing in mass quantities and from trading established players for draft picks)
Press/Interviews: D -- 0.5/2 (A seemingly engaging man, his self-congratulation and irresponsibility with his comments have become almost unbearable)
Results: F -- 0/2 (None yet. This could change after the end of the season)

TOTAL: 4/10 C-

So, I guess in my opinion they’re both about average.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

DL:8
TM:7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus View Post
Giving a 3 to a head coach that has his team in the middle of the playoff pack is rather cynical don't you think?
Just a tad. All of you guys who gave Terry Murray a 5 or less, please enlighten us with your scores for coaches of all the teams currently sitting outside of a playoff spot.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 01-30-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Each category worth two, half point per letter grade. A = 2, B = 1.5, C = 1, D = 0.5, F = 0

Terry Murray

Offensive Strategy: B -- 1.5/2 (Kings have an inconsistent but mostly good and potentially VERY good offense)
Defensive Strategy: B -- 1.5/2 (Murray knows defense and he shouldn’t be blamed for the injuries to his blueliners)
Leadership: C -- 1/2 (Concentration of the team wavers, questionable refusal to call time out in appropriate situations)
Handling Goalies: D -- 0.5/2 (Quick playing every minute is a poor idea of “handling” this position)
Roster Management: C -- 1/2 (Has done a very good job placing some in the right position to succeed, and a puzzlingly terrible job with others)

TOTAL: 5.5/10 C

Dean Lombardi

Trades: B -- 1.5/2 (Greene and Stoll was good, getting Smyth essentially on waivers via Quincey was excellent)
Free Agents/Other Deals: D -- 0.5/2 (Ugh. Preissing, McCauley, Thornton, the extension for Cloutier, the Cammalleri and Blake departure fiascos)
Drafts/Farm System: B -- 1.5/2 (Doughty was basically dropped in his lap, but Simmonds was a genuinely good pick, and the farm system has received the appropriate shot in the arm from the team losing in mass quantities and from trading established players for draft picks)
Press/Interviews: D -- 0.5/2 (A seemingly engaging man, his self-congratulation and irresponsibility with his comments have become almost unbearable)

What school did you got to where 5.5 out of 10 and 4 out of 10 were not failing scores? Looks like some fuzzy math to me!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
LAKings4ever

DL - 8.5
Above average
- Farm system is in excellent shape.
- Cap management is strong, has flexability to add to this team.
- Team is going in right direction, well positioned for a playoff run.
- Solid in trades
- Candid and straight forward

Dings
- FA signings not faring well

TM - 8.0
Slightly above average
- Team is playing much better hockey (team philosophy) then before he arrived.
- Emphasis on defense and goaltending, this is what wins games.

Dings
- Overplaying Quick, if no confidence in Ersberg then DL should go out and get a veteran back-up.

Thoroughly believe team is heading in right direction, DL's rebuild is coming along nicely...though it hurt to lose all those games the past 3 years, it was the right thing to do. TM is the right coach for this team in this phase of their development, he has this team playing a high level of hockey.

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:03 PM
LAKings4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
What school did you got to where 5.5 out of 10 and 4 out of 10 were not failing scores? Looks like some fuzzy math to me!
Totally agree, typically:

9 out of 10 = A (excellent)
8 out of 10 = B (above average)
7 out of 10 = C (average)
6 out of 10 = D (below average)
5 out of 10 = F (failing)
4 or less = epic fail

LAKings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
greengiant91

Dean 8.54

TM 7.354

greengiant91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

I like your categories and grades for Murray, but there's a few things that don't jive with me about DL's categories.

First of all, I don't think Press/Interviews share the same weight against trades, free agents and drafts. Those three are extremely important and press... oh well... so you don't like the cut of his jib. They don't really hurt the team (unless you count the Cammy thing going public, in which case I think that mar is better reflected in his trades/free agents grades).

Secondly, don't they all accumulate to results? 'Results' as its own category seems like a forced category. The sum of his grade should reflect his results.

Really, if you were to break down everything into points, everything should add up to and reflect TM and DL's respective records while with the Kings.

DL's is 124-140-35.

If we break it down by wins and the standard grading percentages, DL gets an F. 42%. Which is actually very close to your overall grade JT (again, I'm not disagreeing with the grade so much as the way it was scored).

However, if we go by point %, DL has 283 out of a possible 598, which adds up to 47%, which still adds up to an F, but also then referencing your system is a whole grade higher in one category.

For TM, his record is 65-56-14 with the Kings. That is a 48% win percentage and a whopping 53% point percentage. Hey, above 50%!

But really, none of this is accurate because it has zero application to the school metric grades. It can only be graded properly as a bell curve, comparing those numbers to the rest of the league, because no GM has a 90%+ win or point %.

So for fun, and because I'm bored, lets look at a coach from one team who has been there two years and a GM from another good team that is in his 4th year.

For coaches, lets just go with Todd McLellan.

His record with the Sharks is 88-28-20 in 136 games.

That's a .65 win% and a .72 point%.

Now obviously for this to be truly accurate, we'd have to do every coach in the league to see what the norm is, but lets make McLellan's scores, for the sake of argument (even though I'm not totally sure what that argument is...) perfect.

If 65% is 100%, or a perfect score, then you have to multiply TM's score by 1.538. (rounding off to a 1000th, so not completely accurate, because I'm still lazy... actually gives you 99.97%, close enough). So TM's adjusted score is .738, or a scholastic C.

Again, JT, its funny how you scored him a C, even though the numbers don't seem to add up by your method. I don't even know whether this is helping or hurting your assessments. At this point I'm just curious. Its almost as if your scores were lower than the grade you wanted to give him. I'd have to know what your reasoning is first behind 5.5 out of 10 being a C.

Ok, now I'm bored of this. Maybe I'll do a comparison GM's later.

Interesting stuff though... kind of... but not really.

I hate statistics.

Last edited by JDM: 01-30-2010 at 04:00 PM.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote