HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Dustin Brown Aims For Fewer Bruises...

Old
01-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

vCash: 500
Kings Dustin Brown Aims For Fewer Bruises...

http://www.sportingnews.com/olympics...s-more-chances

This can only help his game and pro-career lifespan.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:09 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Dustin Brown sucks

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Dustin Brown sucks
Just sharing for you Brown lovers... so suck it!

Wayne Simmonds FOREVER!!!!

Old
01-29-2010, 01:43 AM
bland

I've been saying for years that Brown is at his most effective when he uses a high pressure forecheck and gets in passing lanes instead of trying to blast the opposition thru the boards.

The guy has great wheels - just one hell of a powerful skater. When he goes for the big checks he tends to slow down and hit after the puck has been released, which is all fine and dandy for us fans who like that kind of violence.

However, it rarely results in turnovers, and the theory that the opposition gets worn down and starts to short-arm pucks only really holds true in a long, grueling playoff series, and not individual regular season games.

Keep up the pressure Brownie, forget about the big booms...

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Hell yea Brownie! Keep proving the haters wrong! Thats why i proudly own your jersey (pre-captaincy as well)

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:22 AM
no name

Brown's game has skyrocketed again since being paired with Smyth. I don't think it is a coincidence.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:20 PM
wicker

Brown's been playing like a completely different player. He looks amazing out there, no doubt. Nice timing for the captain to stand up and lead his team.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Now that he isn't forcing plays to happen and is showing patience with his decisions, he looks 10x's the player he was a month ago.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Honestly I don't see what the big deal is here. Brown was playing better than this back in late October - he was facilitating his teammates, and he was also scoring himself. He just had a couple of scoring droughts, one in mid-November and one in late December and early January; that's going to happen to players like Brown. It's not like those droughts were going to last forever. The last two games have been against weaker opponents, teams with bad defense and bad goaltending, and are out of the playoff race. It's not surprising that Dustin's seeing more passing lanes open up for him.

Maybe I just live to provide the contrary opinion around here, but I don't see anything mystical about it - he's the same as he ever was. I think Brown's a far smarter player than a lot of people want to give him credit for - he always looks to make a play and to create offense, but when that isn't happening, he tries to be a physical force. If he can do both in the same game, that's fine too. It says a lot for a guy who's a captain to just go out there and contribute in any way he can, and it also says a lot that he's become a more disciplined player since the beginning of the season.

I just think we're seeing the natural progression here; a young player becoming a veteran.

Last edited by JT Dutch*: 01-29-2010 at 02:37 PM.
JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
I just think we're seeing the natural progression here; a young player becoming a veteran.
This.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Now that he isn't forcing plays to happen and is showing patience with his decisions, he looks 10x's the player he was a month ago.

Stoll needs a little credit here too, obviously Smyth has been a factor.

I disagree with JT that Brown has always played the same. IMO he hasn't. It's more recently that he's been a better team player and has tried less to be an impact player. The ironic part is that in him trying to make less of an impact, he's making MORE of an impact with assists , creating turnovers, etc. This is the Dustin Brown I want to see every game.

Old
01-29-2010, 10:59 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Stoll needs a little credit here too, obviously Smyth has been a factor.

I disagree with JT that Brown has always played the same. IMO he hasn't. It's more recently that he's been a better team player and has tried less to be an impact player. The ironic part is that in him trying to make less of an impact, he's making MORE of an impact with assists , creating turnovers, etc. This is the Dustin Brown I want to see every game.
And isn't this exactly what we "haters" have been talking about all along?

And no, Dutch, Brown has only shown brief glimpses of this type of game. Practically none of which occured under Terry Murray, but enough to know that he was capable of it if and when he decided to accept this approach.

Old
01-30-2010, 12:24 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
And isn't this exactly what we "haters" have been talking about all along?

Its funny that some people go "see, you should never have doubted Brown", when the reason he is playing well now is because he is doing the things those of us who were vocal about our displeasure urged that he do.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Same goes for Kopitar, he is driving to the net more and his scoring has returned.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:31 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Yeah, god forbid anyone 'negative' actually have a point...

Unless your name is JT Dutch ofcourse

--------> <------

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:41 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I disagree with JT
Quote:
no, Dutch
... Well, all I will say for the people who think this is somehow a "new" thing for Dustin is that you probably should re-watch the November game against Pittsburgh, or the two games against Dallas in late October, for starters.

And again, consider that the Kings have played two poor defenses in the last two games. I'm willing to bet, now that the Kings will be going against some quality defense in the next two games, that people will say Brown is "regressing" again. We'll see how it goes.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:41 PM
bland

Well, considering I used the third period of that Pittsburgh game as a benchmark for the differences between the "two" Brown's, I'll give you that one.

It has nothing to do with the opposition - it's about his personal decision on how to approach the game.

Dustin Brown Version A is the guy that runs around trying to hit everything in sight, taking stupid, ill-timed shots that have no chance of going in, trying to dangle at the blueline, and diving instead of persevering. He tries too hard to be an impact player, and he fails. This is the guy we have seen for the most part since Terry Murray took over.

Version B is the one we have seen since Terry Murray had his "settle it down" talk with Dustin. He's the one who uses his powerful skating to apply pressure and cause turnovers instead of waiting until the puck is released so he can hit the defender. This is the one that carries the puck in and dishes it instead of blasting away from all angles. He fights thru tough checking instad of fallibng down looking to draw a call.

The Kings NEED Brown to play in this more focused, settled manner. He is a bull, just a fantastic force even when he isn't putting up points. The difference is in Dustin's mindset - he has to realize that he has limitations and must live within them to be the best that he can be.

Old
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Well, considering I used the third period of that Pittsburgh game as a benchmark for the differences between the "two" Brown's, I'll give you that one.

It has nothing to do with the opposition - it's about his personal decision on how to approach the game.
... Do you still feel this decision is still in effect after the last couple games? He scored a PP goal on a set play against Boston, and did nothing else offensively, despite playing over 20 minutes in both games.

You still don't want to concede that maybe Brown had those impressive games in Toronto and Columbus because he was merely feasting on poor defenses?

Old
02-03-2010, 01:36 AM
bland

Quote:
... Do you still feel this decision is still in effect after the last couple games? He scored a PP goal on a set play against Boston, and did nothing else offensively, despite playing over 20 minutes in both games.

You still don't want to concede that maybe Brown had those impressive games in Toronto and Columbus because he was merely feasting on poor defenses?
No, because like I have stated many times in so many of the threads I have posted in about Brown, I don't care if he ever breaks the 20-goal mark again. His effect on the game can be measured in tenacity and effort. The offense will always be a bonus.

When Brown is on top of his game, he is forcing turnovers, creating momentum, generating energy, and causing havoc. It's the leadership game - he is one of the few players in the league that can combine that type of steamroller effect with a decent amount of skill - its such a rare combination.

However, when he is off his game, you see him trying to be a sniper and forgetting all of the other assets which allow him to capitalize on his modest offensive ability. It limits him, because he just doesn't have the type of skill level to get by on puck work alone, and that is why you see so many turnovers at the blueline, and poorly timed and located shots.

It's all about mindset, not numbers.

Old
02-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

From the horse's mouth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry "Hulk" Murray
“Brownie’s more relaxed,” Terry Murray said following the game. “There was a stretch of time when he was carrying the team on his shoulders trying to make things happen himself. It’s impossible to do. He’s playing a power forward attitude, power forward game, keeping it simple and good things are resulting because of that.”

When asked what’s been the difference in his game lately, Dustin Brown said, “I’m just trying to get back to how I was playing a year or two ago. Just trying to focus in on certain aspects of my game and I’ve seen improvements.”

Old
02-03-2010, 02:04 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
From the horse's mouth:
... I just find the whole thing to be a bit unbelievable. If the coaching staff was so unsatisfied with Brown's efficiency, why would they wait until 50 games in to get with Dustin and try to change that approach? Wouldn't it be something they would tackle in training camp?

I still think that when he has time and space, and the defense is permitting, that Brown has been this type of player all along. There's going to be a variation or two thrown in to mix it up every now and again, but I have a hard time thinking that what he said wasn't something to get a few of the fans and the media off his back. Obviously I'll just agree to disagree here and take solace in the fact that he's continuing to do whatever he can to help the team win.

Old
02-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
... I just find the whole thing to be a bit unbelievable. If the coaching staff was so unsatisfied with Brown's efficiency, why would they wait until 50 games in to get with Dustin and try to change that approach?
Remember last season when they let Jason LOLBarbera start as the season's #1 golatender? This coaching staff (and management) works in mysterious ways. Besides, it's not like they wanted to destroy his ego or anything, by saying: "Hey Brown, you suck, stop ****ing around in the offensive zone and pass the damn puck."

Old
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Jwm1986

Not too bad of an idea

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote