HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Sather! Fire Sather Rally TODAY At 5pm

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
h0ckeyman

vCash: 500
Here is a link to a petition to fire sather. Maybe add it to the OP?

Thanks!!

ipetitions.com/petition/firesather/

Edit: Thanks true blue

Last edited by h0ckeyman: 01-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old
01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Here is a link to a petition to fire sather. Maybe add it to the OP?

Thanks!!

http://********************/petition/firesather/

Edit: WTF?! its http://www.ipet,itions.com/petition/firesather/ take out the comma
take out the http and the www.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love 6-5 games. But when we lose 6-5, does anyone feel good about the result? Yeah, it was an exciting 2 1/2 hours, but at the end of the day you feel pretty crappy that you lost. I'll take a "boring" 2-1 win any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
When I talk about entertainment, I don't necessarily mean high-scoring games. That's fun and all, but what I have in mind is just well-executed, smartly thought out technical hockey. I want a team to aspire to play like the Red Wings, like the Blackhawks are playing now. The Rangers don't have to be as good as them, but they should do their best to play like them, because that is the formula that works in the this league now.

It should work, too. Those teams play beautiful hockey. There really is nothing as entertaining in hockey, for me, as watching the Red Wings play at their best. That is just a near-perfect execution of the sport. They do everything well. Now, part of that is certainly coaching. Part of it was the fact that the team was properly put together. They had everything you needed to succeed on most nights. But when you don't have the same talent as most of your competitors, it's going to be tough to play the way a team like that does with any consistency, if ever.

I'll take 2-1 wins any day, believe me. The other problem is that in today's NHL, 2-1 wins are incredibly difficult to come by. This league is about offense now, like it or not.

The first, second, third, fifth, and sixth place teams in the standings also happen to be the five highest scoring teams in the league. A couple of them also happen to be among the league's best in goals against. But not all.

Of course goaltending and defense are still important. In the playoffs, a great goaltender is incredible. But the fact of the matter is offense is more important. Marc-Andre Fleury and Chris Osgood are not top-5 goaltenders in the NHL. They just aren't. There are a lot of good goalies in the league, but only about 6-8 great ones. Maybe even less, depending on your standards.

You have to be able to anchor yourself in the other team's zone often in this game, and you have to be able to develop effective cycles that create good scoring chances. This team basically NEVER does that. How can they? They have less talent than almost every other team in the league.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The Rally now has 665 people attending. Wow, by the time this comes, there will probably be well over 1000 people.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=272851463916
i would be surprised if even half the people who say they are going, actually go.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:47 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i would be surprised if even half the people who say they are going, actually go.
Good weather = 25% turnout.
Bad weather = 10% turnout.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Axxion89

Chosen

And thats being really generous!

Old
01-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Good weather = 25% turnout.
Bad weather = 10% turnout.
that would be my guess as well. If you guys could get 100 people out there, that would be a major accomplishment.

Old
01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

"If I had [the Rangers] payroll, my team would never lose a game"

Old
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
that would be my guess as well. If you guys could get 100 people out there, that would be a major accomplishment.
and 100 people would be fine by me too, trust me im not expecting the 700+ who confirmed for the event on facebook.. i know how facebook events work haha

Old
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The Rally now has 665 people attending. Wow, by the time this comes, there will probably be well over 1000 people.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=272851463916
For anyone screaming for Slats head, how many offer a better viable alternative?

Contracts: The Rangers have some of the worst in the league, but when needed, Slats moved one of them to land Gaborik. Does anyone know that he's tried moving Redden and not been able to? Most had Gomez pegged as unmovable. I've yet to have heard of someone say that the Rangers weren't able to do something because of an unmovable contract. These bad contracts didn't keep the Rangers from pursuing Sundin, they didn't keep them from pursing Gaborik, it hasn't kept the Lecavalier rumors away, and after he tears up the Olympics, I doubt their going to keep them from going after Foppa.

Drafting: Early on, picks were dealt in an attempt to get veteran players so the Rangers could get into the playoffs. The playoffs make money and the GM's boss wants to make money. IN 2004 after many dark years which included a changing of GMs, that philosophy seemed to have changed. Since then, the drafting has been much improved. 2004, being the worst year. Post lockout, building from within has been emphasized by everyone around the NHL and since then, the Rangers haven't had to tank, have continued to make the playoffs and have raised their prospect pool to where they're currently ranked #3 on Hockey's Future. A ranking that was done before before the WJC and the superb play of Stepan and Kreider.

I'm not a huge fan of Slats by any means, though calling for his head, without a solid candidate ready to do a better job, isn't going to help anything. Don't get me wrong, if Ken Holland was working as an analyst on TSN, I'd be all about upgrading but there is no point in firing a guy, who's been average, to downgrade the position. Would Scotty Bowman want to come be GM in NY...is JD's deal up with St. Louis any time soon if not, might as well leave Slats until his retiring in a couple years and Mess is ready to take the reigns.

Old
01-29-2010, 06:13 PM
trueblue9441

how about kenny hollands assistant jim nill whose been in the organization for 16 years, 12 as assistant gm? thats a good place to start looking. i do know that he wouldnt send roszival down earlier this year when torts wanted him to. i do know that he cant move reddens contract, gomez is much more of an asset then wade redden is, come on

Old
01-29-2010, 07:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
how about kenny hollands assistant jim nill whose been in the organization for 16 years, 12 as assistant gm? thats a good place to start looking. i do know that he wouldnt send roszival down earlier this year when torts wanted him to. i do know that he cant move reddens contract, gomez is much more of an asset then wade redden is, come on
True, but is Rozsival any less valuable then McCabe was when he was dealt? And if Slats Adds McDonagh, Valentenko, and a pick or prospect for Rozsival, were their deals that bad? He would have essentially bought picks and prospects for nothing but Dolan's money. Front-loading Rozi's contracts has a very similar impact as trading a player and cash, which the CBA no longer allows. In a couple years (I know having Redden that long sounds terrible) Redden's deal does the same thing.

I think it's possible that since 04, the philosophy has changed (except the Antropov deal) and it needs time to work. Perhaps it is, by the organizational ranking rising to #3. Last year I was super excited about Grachev and after this past WJC, Stepan has got me excited. Never since the early 90s have the Rangers been this deep in the organization regarding youth. Then they continually traded it to bring in veterans to win a cup, it took a decade to find out that you can't keep doing that.

Old
01-29-2010, 07:30 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
True, but is Rozsival any less valuable then McCabe was when he was dealt? And if Slats Adds McDonagh, Valentenko, and a pick or prospect for Rozsival, were their deals that bad? He would have essentially bought picks and prospects for nothing but Dolan's money. Front-loading Rozi's contracts has a very similar impact as trading a player and cash, which the CBA no longer allows. In a couple years (I know having Redden that long sounds terrible) Redden's deal does the same thing.

I think it's possible that since 04, the philosophy has changed (except the Antropov deal) and it needs time to work. Perhaps it is, by the organizational ranking rising to #3. Last year I was super excited about Grachev and after this past WJC, Stepan has got me excited. Never since the early 90s have the Rangers been this deep in the organization regarding youth. Then they continually traded it to bring in veterans to win a cup, it took a decade to find out that you can't keep doing that.
you're exactly right there. i've said that on thta facebook events wall before. the draft will probably be the best time for rozi to be moved just because of front loading the contract. i still think he needs to go, this organization needs new blood. he's had 10 years to do something here and we've won 2 playoff series. its time for him to go

Old
01-29-2010, 07:55 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
o5-06 and to some degree 06-07 were entertaining years
only because one of his risks bringing in Jagr, worked. When Jagr was signed he choose guys like Straka, Nylander, Rozi, Malik, the main guys on the team, not Sather. He only brought in a struggling Jagr, who he luckily got his A game for a couple years, but the team was Jagrs not Sathers. Sathers team is Drury, Gomez, Redden etc. You can not run a team enitrely based on risk, because sooner or latter it will backfire which it has.

Old
01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
The Jagr years were entertaining. Before and after...nope.
I agree, but I think that was more of a product of Jagr playing out of his mind than a reflection on Sather/Renney/etc.

Old
01-29-2010, 08:29 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
and 100 people would be fine by me too, trust me im not expecting the 700+ who confirmed for the event on facebook.. i know how facebook events work haha
You might be surprised by the turnout. If we keep spreading word, by March 7th I bet we can get more than 100. Alot more.

01-29-2010, 09:47 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I'm one of those old school fans that finds the most excitement in winning. If given the opportunity to switch teams with the Devils over the past ten years, I'd gladly take it.
Well then, that's a left turn...

Let's see...the Rangers have averaged 44 wins and are an average of 14 1/2 wins over .500 in the last four seasons. Yes we know a .500 record is devalued in the NHL but they have won. But still not entertaining?

What I think you are saying is that you want to be an elite team every year. Top 3-4. Yeah, who doesn't? My message to you is good luck with that. If you only want to win or contend) for the Stanley Cup and nothing else matters then you clearly don't understand how professional sports work.

In the past 4 years, 10 teams (Buffalo 2X, Detroit 3x, Anaheim 2X, Ottawa, Edmonton, Carolina 2X, Pittsburgh 2X, Philadelphia, Dallas, Chicago) have made it as far as the conference finals. Only 5 teams made it more than once. The Stanley Cup finalists in 2006 are the two worst teams in the league today. Being a consistent winner is the most diffiicult thing in sports and tougher in a league where teamwork and chemistry plays such a big part of team results. Having a salary cap doesn't help either.

I think Ranger fans who live in New York are jaded by the Yankees. The Yankees play in a sport where chemistry is nice but hardly necessary and hard work is trumped by skill. And spending $50MM more than any other team doesn't hurt either. We, nor any other team in the NHL, will ever be the Yankees.

Those of use who live in other parts of the country and are thrilled when one of their teams actually breaks through and wins see things a little differently.

Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder. I think the team has been very entertaining over the past few years. Jagr, Lundqvist, Gaborik and may others have given us great memories. If this is such bad hockey, how come you (not specifically you nyr2k2) are still coming back?

What tipped me on Sather is this -- he's had his rebuild and while the team has been pretty good the last several years, it appears we've taken a big step backwards this year. The young core is good but not good enough. Some of the free agent signings have been questionable and a couple have been really bad. And while I was initially a big fan of the Tortarella hiring, now I'm not so sure. To me, the bell curve has topped out and I think the franchise needs a new voice and perspective.

Of course, I caution you and me be careful what you wish for because you may get exactly what you want.

Old
01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Let's see...the Rangers have averaged 44 wins and are an average of 14 1/2 wins over .500 in the last four seasons. Yes we know a .500 record is devalued in the NHL but they have won. But still not entertaining?....
Instead of saying "Great post!" only because it's something I agree with, I will instead say I prefer reading bobpop's (and others who are well thought out) posts as opposed to others who make irrational demands.

The fact that the "fire Sather" crowd start their chants after the Rangers are losing kills all of their credibility. You want to be credible? Start your "fire Sather" chant at puck drop and don't stop even if the Rangers lead in the game.

Don't think the higher-ups aren't laughing at you - you pay for your seats and pay for your beer and keep showing up. And they know there's nothing you are willing to do to truly make your voice heard.

Old
01-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
for the mother****ing win! exactly how i feel.

i understand not being 100% behind this guy, but the anger/disgust some people have for sather boggles my mind. he's done a pretty good job.....not good enough, but things could be so much worse.
The Gomez, Drury & (especially) Redden contracts alone are enough to get the man fired.

Old
01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
yes, because firing sather and replacing him with messier means that we will be potentially competing for the cup.
You don't know that Messier would be the replacement. You also don't know whether or not Messier, if hired, would do a bad job. None of us know who the new GM would be or what success he might have, but we all know Glen Sather. We all know what he has done in his 10 years here and, by your own admission, it hasn't been good enough.

Failing to act because you are afraid the alternative might be worse is just sad.

Quote:
this team will be good enough to compete for a cup in 2-3 years. so we're gonna either miss the playoffs or get bounced in round 1 this year. i'm ok with that.
What if we're not? None of us can truly predict how these prospects will turn out. And what other mistakes will Sather make between now and then that will further hamstring this organization? 3 years from now will you be saying the same thing you are today?

Quote:
is it ok that i wanna see what the team will look like when stepan, grachev, sanguinetti, et al are playing real minutes before i jump down management's throat?
All those prospects will get their chance whether Sather is here or not. Firing him doesn't change that. I don't understand your loyalty to Sather. What has he done to deserve the chance to see if those prospects can live up to the hype?

When he was first hired, he had the luxury of taking a few years to turn things around. It's been 10 years and we're still little better than we were when he took over. Take Lundqvist out of the equation and we're no better than any team from 98 to 04. You may be willing to give him 3 more years, but I'm not. He hasn't done anything to deserve it.

Old
01-30-2010, 02:18 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love 6-5 games. But when we lose 6-5, does anyone feel good about the result? Yeah, it was an exciting 2 1/2 hours, but at the end of the day you feel pretty crappy that you lost. I'll take a "boring" 2-1 win any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
Exactly.

Devils fans don't find their team boring, and I heartily doubt the VAST majority of ranger fans would if the teams were swapped.

Living in central Jersey, I get half NY and half Philly, and there's a funny illustration of this at work. For YEARS, Flyers fans screamed about the Trap and how awful the Devils were, and how that kind of hockey should be banned because it was so excruciatingly boring.

And then they hired Ken Hitchcock, he won, and one heard nary a peep from Flyers fans about how AWFUL the Trap is.

Go figure.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I remain Glen Sathers only fan, and feel he is going to shock some people here by the deadline.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I remain Glen Sathers only fan, and feel he is going to shock some people here by the deadline.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I feel like he's going to do something very reckless and stupid to try and save face for his underperforming players with bloated contracts. This will probably involve moving young players that us fans won't be too happy about.

What did you have in mind as far as "shock some people here" out of curiousity?

Old
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I feel like he's going to do something very reckless and stupid to try and save face for his underperforming players with bloated contracts. This will probably involve moving young players that us fans won't be too happy about.

What did you have in mind as far as "shock some people here" out of curiousity?
when has he made a reckless trade? antro for a second, in hindsight, wasn't a great trade for us, but you certainly can't call it a reckless move. zherdev for tyutin didn't quite work out, but it was hardly reckless deal.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:19 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
when has he made a reckless trade? antro for a second, in hindsight, wasn't a great trade for us, but you certainly can't call it a reckless move. zherdev for tyutin didn't quite work out, but it was hardly reckless deal.
Like I said in a post in another thread earlier today, I give credit where it's due. I don't remember the last time Sather has made a bad trade. That being said, if he knows his seat is getting hot, he might hit the panic button and do something desperate.

Closed Thread