HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger comments on NHL officiating

Old
01-30-2010, 09:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2539
Pronger comments on NHL officiating

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...434&feedID=695

Quote:
Flyers coach Peter Laviolette gently hinted recently that the Flyers seem to be getting an awful lot of undeserved penalties (read: bogus penalties).

Here’s what Pronger had to say:

“I think it’s the media,” he replied. “I honestly, truly, believe it’s the media. It creates the stigma that everybody is out to get the Flyers. I haven’t seen that.”

Given Pronger has been a very tall target of officials’ retribution wherever he’s been, we felt it was a fair question to ask him.

“Every team I have been on, I thought the same thing - they’re out to get ya,” Pronger said. “I think the teams that win all the time, think the refs are out to get them. It’s always the same thing when you don’t get the call to go your way.”

Now here’s the catch. The older, wiser, political Pronger – not the younger, arrogant, stubborn guy who played in St. Louis - actually defended the officials.

“We’ve had a number of games this year where it’s kind been shocking,” he said. “We had six, seven, eight power plays and the other teams had two or three. You have those games and then you have the other way. At the end of the day, it’s all about discipline and being accountable for your actions.”
Quote:
It led to fans - and the media, he said - thinking that the officials were out to “get” the Flyers.

“Those are the things that pissed people off earlier and years before – taking penalties when you are 200 feet from your net,” Pronger said. “They just kill you. If you are taking hard, physical penalties, that is fine. If you stopping a goal … Things like that, you kill those all night long.

“It’s the little hook and hold and tripping 200 feet from your net that doesn’t matter. Those are the things that frustrate you as a player and frustrate the media. You start nit picking and it can start to look that way [refs pick on us]. But since I been here, we were terrible the first 15 games and now we’re pretty good.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFzODoD7YY
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
the refs just suck in general

But the 2 called back goals this week were both bull

I also have never agreed that if both teams get similar number of PPs, then the reffing was fair

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I forget what its called but there's a technical term for it (at least in terms of media coverage), where the more people care about something the more they think there is bias in favor of the other side. I think this happens a lot amongst hockey fans and probably sports fans in general.

I'm not saying the referees don't make bad calls, I just don't think that the Flyers necessarily get more penalties against them just because they are the Flyers.

Actually I'm not sure if there is a term for it but, it is a thing that has some evidence behind it in terms of news coverage of politics.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 01-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
the refs just suck in general

But the 2 called back goals this week were both bull

I also have never agreed that if both teams get similar number of PPs, then the reffing was fair
Agreed. I don't even mind the occasional bogus penalty that we have to kill off (because those are understandable, unavoidable, and potentially harmless), but it's these freaking ******** disallowed goals that get to me. In this day and age, with the kind of technology and video review we have in place, there should never be obvious mistakes like the one against Gagne when we played the Pens.

I mean, you can kill off a penalty for a bogus call. No harm, no foul. However, there's nothing you can do about getting a legitimate goal taken away from you or vice-versa.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

This has never been a problem of the Officials vs. the Flyers. The issue has always been more of the officials trying too hard to even things out at the end of the night.

If a team is running away with a game (as long as it wasn't because the other team did something particularly heinous in the officials eyes; see Carcillo incident against Washington), the officials will normally look to even things up or mess with the flow of the game.

That's something that has always happened. In the new era though, it seems to have taken on a life of it's own.

I disagree with Pronger that the media is to blame. You can blame the media for many things, but the paranoia of unfair treatment by officials is not one of them. I think the majority of media is pretty spineless and will do anything to get a hit on their webpage. Still, I think penalties is something they leave alone as a whole unless a coach or team representative begins to make a big stink about it.

The philosophy that absolutely has to change is the idea of being "overly fair." When refs begin to look for ways to even out the game, that's when you get penalties like the one today against Hartnell in the crease, the one against Gagne in the Pittsburgh game, and even the one "hooking" call on Jeff Carter in game 2 of the Pittsburgh series last year.

The refs need to try to be fair, but being overly fair to even up opportunities is what creates these issues. I really think officials underestimate the shifts in momentum they destroy and create in the name of having a close game. At points they are so fair that it becomes unfair, so to speak.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 08:32 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
The disallowed goals, and the too many men goals against us are the worst

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:02 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The disallowed goals, and the too many men goals against us are the worst
the one against Buffalo in Ot was the worst to many men goals I have ever seen

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:08 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

That was a terrible call, the puck was in the net before Hartnell made contact with Rolo and Rolo was out of his crease...I call it a goal!
I'm tired of the NHL and the Refs taking away legitimate goals from teams, Toronto's review board is one of the worst, don't know what camera angles they're looking at during reviews. Need to get the goal judge back behind the net, because no one else seems competent.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Pronger rocks.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:12 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Pronger is a smart guy. My take is that the guy, knows that he and the flyers are a targeted bunch. So, instead of fueling the fire, he soothes the tension by defending the refs. Good move, considering that these inconsistent refs hold grudges, (Burrows Incident). That and he is taking accountability for the 90% of the penalties the flyers do earn.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
The refs care too much about balance and give out penalties to "even" things up. They're refs, not the freaking ACLU.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote