HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fire Sather! Fire Sather Rally TODAY At 5pm

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2010, 05:24 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Like I said in a post in another thread earlier today, I give credit where it's due. I don't remember the last time Sather has made a bad trade. That being said, if he knows his seat is getting hot, he might hit the panic button and do something desperate.
wasn't trying to jump on you, sorry if it came off like that.
i think his job is pretty secure for the most part and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to make a trade out of desperation. he's also not above selling (see 03-04). i don't think any of us need to worry about losing any prized prospects, we just need to worry about the sorry state of this year's team.

if he goes the buy route, i think it'll be for someone like ray whitney or paul kariya.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
if he goes the buy route, i think it'll be for someone like ray whitney or paul kariya.
No way Whitney ends up here. He'll be one of the hottest tickets available. He'll end up with one of the contenders, not a pretender like us.

Kariya, maybe. That's more likely.

Old
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Balej20*

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...463916&index=1

Old
01-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I feel like he's going to do something very reckless and stupid to try and save face for his underperforming players with bloated contracts. This will probably involve moving young players that us fans won't be too happy about.

What did you have in mind as far as "shock some people here" out of curiousity?
I just think that when you go back throughout Glen Sathers tenure here he always got the deal done that not only was unexpected, but also big news. Lindros, Jagr, Bure, Gomez and Drury, Gaborik etc.

My thoughts for this deadline is this.

Three seperate deals that still keeps the core and manages to solve issues. And agree with you that it is scary to think about stripping assets, but ya know it's been mentioned before here. Gotta give to get. So before I get off point, here is the deal I think we are going to see happen.

Phaneuf. I am not sure of the pieces but I just feel when you actively scout the same club for as long as the Rangers have been with CGY and vice versa I believe something is going to pop and I believe it's Phaneuf. To be honest I believe there is something in place already but it involves the Rangers moving a different piece to clear the room for him.

1st rounder maybe? Maybe Kotalik? The one that I really feel is not mentioned here too much is Prospal. For a team that actively wants to go hard after Kovalchuk they need to clear cap. Prospal being UFA at seasons end could be an idea here. This is all just thinking out loud but I do feel it's Phaneuf.

I was convinced that Kovalchuk was also going to come to NY, but via free agency...This teeters on Sather moving one of the Rosy or Redden contracts. An then he and the rest of the "Good ole boys" club lobbying hard for the buyout option. The little tidbits he throws out there..."nobody realises how hard it is to make deals these days". If Glen Succeeds in getting Phaneuf here, and he succeds in getting one of those contracts out I am pretty certain that he can get Kovy here in the offseason thus "shocking" the Ranger fans once again.

Last edited by Lion Hound: 01-31-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I was convinced that Kovalchuk was also going to come to NY, but via free agency...This teeters on Sather moving one of the Rosy or Redden contracts. An then he and the rest of the "Good ole boys" club lobbying hard for the buyout option. The little tidbits he throws out there..."nobody realises how hard it is to make deals these days". If Glen Succeeds in getting Phaneuf here, and he succeds in getting one of those contracts out I am pretty certain that he can get Kovy here in the offseason thus "shocking" the Ranger fans once again.
It's hard because Sather has painted himself into a corner with these bad contracts.

I'm not sure how you expect us to trade for Phaneuf AND sign Kovalchuk as a free agent and have anything remotely resembling a complete team.

Let's say we trade Rozy+ for Phaneuf. That would give us next year:

Gaborik 7.5
Drury 7.05
Kotalik 3
Callahan 2.3
Avery 1.9375
Dubinsky 1.85
Brashear 1.4
Voros 1
Anisimov .821667
Boyle .525

Redden 6.5
Phaneuf 6.5
Gilroy 1.75
MDZ 1.087

Lundqvist 6.875
Johnson .85

The total is just shy of 51 million for 10 fowards, 4 dmen and 2 goalies.

Even if you cut Redden, how much are you giving Kovy? 10 mil? If the cap goes up 1 mil as predicted, that would leave us with about 3 million to resign Staal and Girardi, replace Redden, and add another forward. And that's without carrying any spares.

Old
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I can't wait for March 7th.

01-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
i hope Garden will burn and the rally gets CNN coverage... it can't go on like that... Sather hiring coaches like Ron Low and signing Redden to handcuffing contracts....

Hire Detroits assistant GM Jim Nill...

FIRE SATHER!!!

Old
01-30-2010, 08:53 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

I will be there spiritually.

FIRE SATHER!

Old
01-30-2010, 10:08 PM
tdawg56

Amazing how he still has a job after 10 years. I have been at my new job for 3 months and i am getting pressure to bring in revenue. Pins and needles in this economy and this idiot is smoking cigars on a beach somewhere for 10 years.

Old
01-30-2010, 10:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
Amazing how he still has a job after 10 years. I have been at my new job for 3 months and i am getting pressure to bring in revenue. Pins and needles in this economy and this idiot is smoking cigars on a beach somewhere for 10 years.
He was smoking a cigar in the Phioenix press box tonight during the second period but I did not see him during the third period.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:14 AM
nyrmetros

12th place in the East. Only 15 teams in the East.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:01 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
for the mother****ing win! exactly how i feel.

i understand not being 100% behind this guy, but the anger/disgust some people have for sather boggles my mind. he's done a pretty good job.....not good enough, but things could be so much worse.
yea but arent u tired of the same old repetitive BS!?!? 1998 on...either we missed the playoffs, got knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round. im just tired of the being consistantly INCONSISTANT!! we havent went to the conference finals since 1997. we havent been given a reason to cheer or a reason to legitimately believe our team can make a run for it. we have the goalie...we have the scorer...the in between is undeveloped or missing. im just tired of the same old crap every year

Old
01-31-2010, 01:08 PM
tdawg56

Its amzaing that the guy hasnt drafted 1 very good goal scorer in 10 years. And there isnt one in the minors on the way either. Maybe in 2 years someone will come up and score.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

"Hiring him was a mistake of epic proportions. You know, I think I was 14 years old when he was hired, and I remember posting on a another message board when it happened that he would set this team back years, and that he was a disaster waiting to happen. His drafting record in Edmonton from 1983-2000 is laughably bad. Of course, almost everyone else was overjoyed and excited, blinded by this *******'s reputation, and trashed me for being against it. 10 years later, I really can't believe that he's still here. It's really depressing, but not the least bit surprising.

He's a cancer that has crippled this franchise for a decade. Time to end it. The sooner, the better. Glad that you've finally come around."

I wonder if the old AOL bulletin boards are up. You can tell who I was on the Rangers board because I took up half the board yelling that we shouldn't hire Slats and then being horrified that he was. My "don't hire Sather" posts pretty much dominated that forum for several months there.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
I just think that when you go back throughout Glen Sathers tenure here he always got the deal done that not only was unexpected, but also big news. Lindros, Jagr, Bure, Gomez and Drury, Gaborik etc.

My thoughts for this deadline is this.

Three seperate deals that still keeps the core and manages to solve issues. And agree with you that it is scary to think about stripping assets, but ya know it's been mentioned before here. Gotta give to get. So before I get off point, here is the deal I think we are going to see happen.

Phaneuf. I am not sure of the pieces but I just feel when you actively scout the same club for as long as the Rangers have been with CGY and vice versa I believe something is going to pop and I believe it's Phaneuf. To be honest I believe there is something in place already but it involves the Rangers moving a different piece to clear the room for him.

1st rounder maybe? Maybe Kotalik? The one that I really feel is not mentioned here too much is Prospal. For a team that actively wants to go hard after Kovalchuk they need to clear cap. Prospal being UFA at seasons end could be an idea here. This is all just thinking out loud but I do feel it's Phaneuf.

Well so much for that! Maybe the asking was too high, for whatever the reason I truly thought Phaneuf was coming here. This one is dissapointing, but hopefully plan "b" doesn't involve stripping assets for Vinny LeCav. Not that I am against him coming aboard, but I am against losing Cally and or Dubi in the process.

I need a drink!

Old
01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
Its amzaing that the guy hasnt drafted 1 very good goal scorer in 10 years. And there isnt one in the minors on the way either. Maybe in 2 years someone will come up and score.
If my memory serves me correctly, Sather passed over Parise, Perry, Getzslaf, and Richards. (Among many more)

Old
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, Sather passed over Parise, Perry, Getzslaf, and Richards. (Among many more)
Sure but it was for Hugh Jessiman!!

Just relax, man. He'll get there. The big guys just take a little longer to develop.

Old
01-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Yeah, at the same token he could have also passed on Henrik Lundqvist too.

Old
01-31-2010, 04:01 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I think this has been said about 400 times on these boards, but one of Neil Smith's European scouts was responsible for drafting Lundqvist, not Sather. Sather was hired as GM only a month before that draft.

Old
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
savebyrichter35

Quote:
Hank was drafted in the 7th round. A little hard to compare that to passing on the players mentioned in the 1st round for Hugh Jessiman.

Old
01-31-2010, 04:15 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Slats."Trades are so hard to do in todays salary cap era. When was the last time you"ve seen a blockbuster? Huh?

Brooks: "Um Glenn... Your buddy Brian Burke made TWO just a few hours ago"?

Slats: "Piss off".

Old
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Guess we should thank our lucky stars Martin Madden ran that draft then, shouldn't we?

Old
01-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Shadowtron

Cancel the rally, boys. Slats has just made a "genious" trade!!! He crapped on the floor, then cleaned it up with a bucket of piss. Can't see what "genious" moves he makes with his extra cap space this off season. He's certainly made the most of every dollar thus far. I think the rally should now about how do we get a marble statue of him in front of MSG!

Old
01-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Cancel the rally, boys. Slats has just made a "genious" trade!!! He crapped on the floor, then cleaned it up with a bucket of piss. Can't see what "genious" moves he makes with his extra cap space this off season. He's certainly made the most of every dollar thus far. I think the rally should now about how do we get a marble statue of him in front of MSG!
hilarious. Sather freaking rules at trades. What a great deal

Old
01-31-2010, 10:08 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Jokinen already has 11 goals this season, that would be tied for 3rd on this team!!! I think we found the answer to this team's scoring woes!!!

Closed Thread