HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"I Don't Want To Go Down To the Basement" Atlanta @ Nashville

Old
01-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Interesting that Trotz put Klein with Bouillon at this juncture.
Definitely...wonder if Hamhuis and Franson see the ice for the remainder of regulation?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Two solid face off wins by Legwand there.

Suprised he took the draw with Smithson out there.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Two points.

Overall, though, nothing really to be proud about.

Pekka should get the next start.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:34 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Two solid face off wins by Legwand there.

Suprised he took the draw with Smithson out there.
Legwand takes them on the right side, Smithson takes them on the left side...and occasionally...Wardo takes a draw as well.

Disturbing to see Hamhuis and Klein back together on the last shift of the night...just happy to see Pekka really stand on his head in the third period...hopefully Rinne makes this the start of a nice, long streak of clutch goaltending...that would be so nice...

Simply put, another great night to be a Predators fan!!!

Old
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Seth Lake

Wow, 16,646 announced attendance.

Props to everyone (including Thrasher fans) that made it to the arena tonight!!!

I'm personally grateful for a large pre-sale because I doubt the walk-up was that great tonight...expect a paid attendance northward of 15k to come out of tonight's effort. Hopefully something around 15,700-15,900 paid...

Old
01-30-2010, 11:55 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Actually if this team is going to make it thru the stretch run AND survive a first round of the playoffs a few things must happen IMHO:

1) Whoever on the staff controls the D pairing simply must FORBID the Hamer Klein pairing. This team cannot afford the brain cramps that seem to ensue.
2) They need at least two productive scoring lines at all times. I don't freaking care if it is the 2nd and the 3rd, the 1st and the 4th, whatever. At any given time they cannot be to easy to silence via shutdown via match ups on road games. This has been a problem for them in the past.
3) The goaltending and D system/coverage has been below average in the last 6 games. Predator hockey at its most successful has been about above average goaltending and solid defense.

This has to be solidified if the team is going to have a chance to get on track, make the post season, and get anywhere if it makes it. I don't think this team gets anywhere in the playoffs as it is right now without offensive help. It most likely draws a low seed and gets plowed by a high seed. I am just being realistic.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:58 PM
glenngineer

I have to say I was disappointed in our fans for throwing stuff at the Thrashers fans at the end of the game. Classless on our part as fans. No excuse for it. They came from over 200 miles away in horrible weather and were totally together with their chants. Props to them for showing up like they did.

Our 5 on 3 was the most pathetic PP I think I've ever seen. Thank goodness Pekka stood on his head in the third period. I hope he's getting his mojo back. Hopefully Arnott scoring tonight also helps his confidence.

I will say this, the one takeaway by Klein on Kovalchuk at the end of the first period was a thing of beauty. Kovie had speed coming down the wing and Klein just poked the puck away like it was his. Kovie really wasn't a big factor out there for them tonight. Legwand's line did a nice job of keeping him at bay. The only problem is they forget about Little a few times.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Wow. Are we really like 18-0-0 when Ward gets a point? In that case, why was I worried?

Old
01-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
Wow. Are we really like 18-0-0 when Ward gets a point? In that case, why was I worried?
Yeah, I thought Wardo was great tonight. Bringing him back into the lineup gave that second line an extra boost and allowed them to contribute at both ends of the rink.

I think Wardo has really developed into a leader on this team and would be happy to see him in the organization for a long, long time. Great guy both on and off the ice, Wardo truly appreciates the opportunity to be a professional athlete and goes out of his way to make the best of his opportunity daily...

Old
01-31-2010, 01:11 AM
MemphisMTLfan

On Arnott's goal...
Quote:
"It was Franny's call," Arnott said. "He came up to me before the draw and said, `If we win it, bust up the middle and I'll hit you,' and he did. And it just happened so fast. It's nice to get back on the winning track though. That's the main thing now and just keep it going."
http://predators.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2009020813

Glad to see communication pay off.

Last edited by MemphisMTLfan: 01-31-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: source
Old
01-31-2010, 01:17 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yeah, I thought Wardo was great tonight. Bringing him back into the lineup gave that second line an extra boost and allowed them to contribute at both ends of the rink.

I think Wardo has really developed into a leader on this team and would be happy to see him in the organization for a long, long time. Great guy both on and off the ice, Wardo truly appreciates the opportunity to be a professional athlete and goes out of his way to make the best of his opportunity daily...
Have to agree with you here SLake. Ward has become a favorite of mine as well. You never really notice him do something stupid out there but he quietly gets big goals, assists and wins a ton of pucks along the boards. He's a solid player that I hope is here a long time too. Good find by Poile. Almost wonder if he'll wear a letter on his uni before it's all said and done.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:18 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I have to say I was disappointed in our fans for throwing stuff at the Thrashers fans at the end of the game.
are you serious? wow, This isnt St Louis here people, dont treat other fans like trash

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:32 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
Actually if this team is going to make it thru the stretch run AND survive a first round of the playoffs a few things must happen IMHO:
along with this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hell-frozen-over.jpg‎ (20.0 KB, 3 views)

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 08:49 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

dulzhok, you can always be counted on for constructive comments.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

It's about damn time!

It was a trip getting to the game last night, but the funny thing is, the hardest part was our driveway. We don't live on that steep of a hill -- to be honest, I never even thought of it as a hill -- but we spent a good 20 minutes pushing the car, digging ice away, and slowly but surely getting out of the driveway. But we made it!

Since so few people were there, we didn't go to our seats up in 329 after pre-skate, we stayed down about 8 rows off the ice to the left of Pekka. That section was so sparse anyway, our entire row plus most of the one behind us and half of the one in front of us were completely empty. Glad we decided to stay down there. The trade off was that we had three very drunk Thrasher fans behind us. They were making fun of EVERYTHING. Fang fingers was absolutely hysterical, "thanks Paul" was also pretty damn funny, and of course they found it amusing that our goalie's name was Pekka. I wanted to turn around and say "BUT YOU CALL YOUR GOALIE 'MOOSE'" but I didn't. One of them even leaned down and said to me "if Little gets a hattrick, I'm throwing your hat onto the ice. Don't worry, I'll buy you a beer." I turned around and looked at him and said "if you do that, I will punch you in the teeth" and smiled. Thankfully, the girls they were with were so nice after the game, congratulating us on the win and wishing us a good night.

It felt great to win out over Atlanta with all their fans there. I appreciate them driving up in support of their team but I really didn't want them to walk away happy. It felt good to smirk just a little. Having said that, I am appalled that people actually threw stuff at them though. That really is completely unnecessary and we don't want to be known for that. Tsk.

Pekka played so great! I was very pleased with him last night. Letting in three goals is not good but he made some brilliant saves. I was just this side of ecstatic when they played "Unbelievable." I love when they do that for Pekka.

Overall, not the best game, but ever-so-pleased with the outcome. Now, let's do it again on Tuesday.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:33 AM
RollingPredFan

I don't care how ugly a win that was, I'll take it. Maybe its something they can all build on. Good to see Arnott score and Rinne make big saves when it was needed. Still have to improve our special teams, that won't cut it.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:09 PM
MemphisMTLfan

I really like Smithson's goals. Just something about them. I also love his smile after he scores. He's always having fun out there.

That guy at around 3:09 behind the glass looks in total disbelief that we're winning. Couldn't help but notice his expression.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
I really like Smithson's goals. Just something about them. I also love his smile after he scores. He's always having fun out there.
That was a very high skill play by Smithson and one I hope gets some replay credits on highlight reels this week! What a goal! Spaling's pass was deflected and bouncing, so Jerred stopped it with his foot, spun around to get on his forehand, and then snapped it past Hedberg in a flash.

Great demonstration of skill by a guy who's known more for his rear scoring goals, than his stick!!! I think that goes to show you how skilled even the fourth line guys are in this league...

From the first time I saw Smithson playing as a rookie with the Manchester Monarchs (AHL) till today...I don't think he's aged a day. We gave him the nickname in Hartford that day when he scored a pair of goals and added an assist to beat the Wolf*Pack and to me he will forever be known as the "Baby Faced Assassin".

Old
01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Excuse my ignorance, but what was it they did at the very end with 1 second left in the game, where they all lined up together? It wasn't a normal faceoff... if someone could explain, I'd be grateful.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what was it they did at the very end with 1 second left in the game, where they all lined up together? It wasn't a normal faceoff... if someone could explain, I'd be grateful.
With one second left on the clock Atlanta couldn't draw the faceoff back for a shot, therefore they put out a left-handed shooting center (Slater) to attempt to shoot the puck directly off the faceoff and then lined up all five of their remaining players in front of Pekka to attempt to create traffic, attempt a deflection, and/or bang home any rebound.

The Predators could not send the puck the length of the ice for a goal with that little time remaining, therefore Atlanta had no need for any defense and were thinking 100% offense at the moment.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
braindead

...and Smithson played the faceoff perfectly. He stayed low, got his stick on the shooter's stick and got his leg on the ice quickly to block any shot.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
...and Smithson played the faceoff perfectly. He stayed low, got his stick on the shooter's stick and got his leg on the ice quickly to block any shot.
Exactly, I thought he did an excellent job on that draw...

What precipitated the scrum at the net after the buzzer? Anyone get a good look?

Old
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Exactly, I thought he did an excellent job on that draw...

What precipitated the scrum at the net after the buzzer? Anyone get a good look?
I think it was just the frustration of Atlanta getting so close. Suter and Slater were going at it in front of the net several times in the last 3 minutes or so as Slater was doing his damndest to get position in our crease.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

First Goal - This goal really never should have happened. Erat tears right through the defense, gets a shot off from a bad angle, and Ward tucks the rebound inside the post and over Hedberg's blocker.

Second Goal - Smithson left all alone in the slot, but the pass hopped off his skate and there wasn't much he could do but throw it blindly at the net. It worked.

First Goal Against - Smithson has to cover Little in the slot.

Third Goal - Antropov didn't take out Erat, and he just launched a bullet from the high slot. Another fantastic goal for Erat.

Second Goal Against - Franson would lose a foot race to Belak, but he holds his own, and Dumont doesn't challenge Thorburn. Rinne is out of position and Thorburn has a wide open net to shoot at.

Third Goal Against - Hamhuis and Klein just leave Little all by himself in a high-percentage scoring area of the ice. Not a good giveaway by Tootoo, but the guys that are supposed to be our shut-down pairing once again fail to do their job.

Fourth Goal - Franson finds Arnott behind the defense with a perfect pass and tucks it inside the far post. Way too easy.

This was a game that we needed to win, but we almost didn't. Rinne bailed us out in the third period.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote