HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings interested in Lecavalier

Old
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Kingjordan

vCash: 500
I would throw up if this happened.. Do not want Vinny and that contract

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Obviously DL planted this rumor to gain some advantage in some other deal.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Obviously DL planted this rumor to gain some advantage in some other deal.
OR the fact is that Vinik is about to buy a controlling share of the 'Ning with a $170M investment and wants to clear the decks a bit...but honestly I don't see why. This would bring their payroll down to around $44 million, and they've got guys like Tanguay who are UFA.

They've got oodles of cap space, Vinny just needs to produce more.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Quattro

ROFL - I thought someone had bumped a thread from last summer when I saw this

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Uh oh...must mean he is being traded tomorrow...

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
ROFL - I thought someone had bumped a thread from last summer when I saw this
Exactly. It was a bad idea then, it is an awful idea now.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Uh oh...must mean he is being traded tomorrow...
is it tomorrow yet???

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:31 AM
shaddow44

"It’s believed the Lightning would want a large package of players and draft picks for Lecavalier, along with the cap and salary relief they’d receive by dumping Lecavalier’s contract. The Lightning has apparently asked for defenseman Jack Johnson, right winger Wayne Simmonds, a prospect and several draft picks."

Gee why don't we throw in Bernier, Hickey and Lewis so we can make sure we get our hands on that Boat Anchor of a contract. Is there anything else they'd like? Maybe half the Monarchs roster? absolutely ludicrous rumor.

shaddow44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

So, are we definitely all against trading for Vinny?

I posted something similar to this on the main board but I actually think an addition of Lecavalier might not be as bad as most of you say it is.

I know, I know, the 10 yr 7+ mil cap hit is outrageous!!!!! But at the same time, the guy is still legit and he can be that 1a or 1b center we've been looking for.

I think he can definitely help us for the playoffs and contend for the cup for at least several years if not more.

It's the last 3-5 yrs of his contract that concerns me.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
So, are we definitely all against trading for Vinny?

I posted something similar to this on the main board but I actually think an addition of Lecavalier might not be as bad as most of you say it is.

I know, I know, the 10 yr 7+ mil cap hit is outrageous!!!!! But at the same time, the guy is still legit and he can be that 1a or 1b center we've been looking for.

I think he can definitely help us for the playoffs and contend for the cup for at least several years if not more.

It's the last 3-5 yrs of his contract that concerns me.
I am not against having Vinny, it is just that contract... I don't think they are exaggerating about Dean's interest in Vinny. I think he is the quintessential DL guy, and if he has been talking off and on with Tampa for like a year about Vinny then he obviously has a plan for the contract. It all depends on price. Vinny is a little bit of an underperforming elite player, but even as an underperformer, he is putting up Kopitar numbers for a million more than Kopi is making now... But, on the other hand, potentially being stuck with him for a decade is unappealing.

I am all for getting Vinny, if Dean knows what he is doing money wise and we are paying the right price. Vinny should not cost us the same for a signed Kovalchuk. He should be a bit more expensive than the Phaneuf deal today, but not by much. A first, a prospect, and a non core roster player would be fine, but we need to be giving up salary to make it work. It would likely be Stoll, a defensive prospect, and a 1st. Then we let Zues expire and bring in Schenn.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:39 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I am not against having Vinny, it is just that contract... I don't think they are exaggerating about Dean's interest in Vinny. I think he is the quintessential DL guy, and if he has been talking off and on with Tampa for like a year about Vinny then he obviously has a plan for the contract. It all depends on price. Vinny is a little bit of an underperforming elite player, but even as an underperformer, he is putting up Kopitar numbers for a million more than Kopi is making now... But, on the other hand, potentially being stuck with him for a decade is unappealing.

I am all for getting Vinny, if Dean knows what he is doing money wise and we are paying the right price. Vinny should not cost us the same for a signed Kovalchuk. He should be a bit more expensive than the Phaneuf deal today, but not by much. A first, a prospect, and a non core roster player would be fine, but we need to be giving up salary to make it work. It would likely be Stoll, a defensive prospect, and a 1st. Then we let Zues expire and bring in Schenn.
I really don't think we have to give up as much as it's rumored.

TB has to realize that Vinny will only be a 2nd line centerman as long as Stamkos is there. And therefore, Vinny isn't going to produce the way he did prior to Stamkos arrival.

I'm thinking something along the line of Stoll, and Purcell should get it done.

Next year could look something like this:

Smyth-Kopi-Williams
Schenn or Richie-Vinny-Brown
Richie or Schenn-Zeus-Simmonds

Old
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
People are against trading for Lecavalier but are for trading for Kovalchuk? It's going to cost the same to acquire both, whereas one is signed long term and the other is not. One is over paid and the other will soon be or will go to Russia. One is a tough as nails leader, the other sulks when contract talks go south. If I had to pick the better player to fit with the Kings plans long term, it's Lecavalier all day and twice on Sunday. The pros and cons of getting Lecavalier outweigh the pros and cons of Ilya Kovalchuk. The main benefit of acquiring Lecavalier is that he takes heat off of Anze Kopitar. If you're an opposing coach, who do you put your stopper line out against? The Kopitar line, or the Lecavalier line? It's a match up nightmare, as opposed to having Kovalchuk on the same line as Kopitar where you put your stopper line out against one line.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:13 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Has everyone overlooked the fact that Stoll is playing like a legit 2nd line center this season?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:24 PM
funky

Stoll has been awesome but think of a 123 punch of Kopitar, Lecavalier and Stoll. Only Pittsburg has that kinda depth

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Has everyone overlooked the fact that Stoll is playing like a legit 2nd line center this season?
He looks like he's finally healthy. Not sure why he gets included in every proposal, the guy is still young and always plays hard.

I'm starting to lean towards LA not making a huge impact trade This yr. I think they would want to see where they are in the standings coming up at the deadline. If the team is still playing well, I could see them standing pat and see what This team can bring in the playoffs.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:34 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
People are against trading for Lecavalier but are for trading for Kovalchuk? It's going to cost the same to acquire both, whereas one is signed long term and the other is not. One is over paid and the other will soon be or will go to Russia. One is a tough as nails leader, the other sulks when contract talks go south. If I had to pick the better player to fit with the Kings plans long term, it's Lecavalier all day and twice on Sunday. The pros and cons of getting Lecavalier outweigh the pros and cons of Ilya Kovalchuk. The main benefit of acquiring Lecavalier is that he takes heat off of Anze Kopitar. If you're an opposing coach, who do you put your stopper line out against? The Kopitar line, or the Lecavalier line? It's a match up nightmare, as opposed to having Kovalchuk on the same line as Kopitar where you put your stopper line out against one line.
Hey, welcome back!

Yeah, I'm leaning towards acquiring Vinny because like you said, one is already signed to a long term deal and the other one eventually will be. But then again, one can argue that Vinny hasn't produced Kovy like numbers. And yet, Vinny is a center which would definitely provide us with a 1a or 1b center along with Kopi.

As long as we don't overpay, I'm definitely liking the idea more and more.

Old
01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Lecavalier will be turning 30 and has a cap hit of $7.7M+ until he is 40 (unless he retires before then).

I would love to have a player of Lecavalier's caliber to give the Kings a strong 1-2-3 punch down the midddle. Unfortunately, Stoll would have to go (I love his hustle, work ethic and shot). Kopitar, Lecavalier and Handzus would give the Kings plenty of size at center. Once Handzus moves on after next season, Schenn can ease in as the third line center who can learn under Lecavalier.

However, Lecavalier is also known to sulk, has had problems with coaches, has demanded a trade, but he was convinced otherwise and worked through his differences with Tortorella (who is a known hot head himself).

If the Kings were able to acquire Lecavalier without giving up a Simmonds or Johnson or a top prospect, then I am in favor of the move. The Kings haven't had two top line centers since they had Gretzky and Nicholls.

And even if they do acquire a center, the Kings still have to go after another top six winger, preferably Ray Whitney.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Lecavalier will be turning 30 and has a cap hit of $7.7M+ until he is 40 (unless he retires before then).

I would love to have a player of Lecavalier's caliber to give the Kings a strong 1-2-3 punch down the midddle. Unfortunately, Stoll would have to go (I love his hustle, work ethic and shot). Kopitar, Lecavalier and Handzus would give the Kings plenty of size at center. Once Handzus moves on after next season, Schenn can ease in as the third line center who can learn under Lecavalier.

However, Lecavalier is also known to sulk, has had problems with coaches, has demanded a trade, but he was convinced otherwise and worked through his differences with Tortorella (who is a known hot head himself).

If the Kings were able to acquire Lecavalier without giving up a Simmonds or Johnson or a top prospect, then I am in favor of the move. The Kings haven't had two top line centers since they had Gretzky and Nicholls.

And even if they do acquire a center, the Kings still have to go after another top six winger, preferably Ray Whitney.
I can't see Lecavalier playing until he's 40. 35-36 sure, after that I think he'll hang them up. Having said that, he's still the more attractive option when Kovalchuk is likely to head to Russia if he doesn't get a massive contract and Marleau is either going to re-sign in SJ at a discount or get a similar overpayment on the open market. Lecavalier is rumored to have had a problem with Tortorella, and by all accounts that's easy to do when you play for that *******. I'm sure most of us would have requested a trade playing under that loud mouth. As far as sulking goes, he had a lot of responsibility put on his shoulders at a very young age.

Old
01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I don't buy the Kovy to KHL thing. Sure, its possible, but I really don't think its likely. I think its more of a looming threat than a real destination for Kovy.

At only 26, with a family being raised in America, and a great career thus far, but without any tangible success, I am banking on Kovy being HIGHLY interested in playing in the best league in the world on a good team for once in his life. The Russia option will always be there. They will always have a league with big young russian stars and aging russian stars. Kovy is in the middle of the pack and can go play there when he is 35 and still get a mega pay day and in all likelihood, dominate that league at 35 just as well as he can dominate this one at 25.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I really don't think we have to give up as much as it's rumored.

TB has to realize that Vinny will only be a 2nd line centerman as long as Stamkos is there. And therefore, Vinny isn't going to produce the way he did prior to Stamkos arrival.

I'm thinking something along the line of Stoll, and Purcell should get it done.

Next year could look something like this:

Smyth-Kopi-Williams
Schenn or Richie-Vinny-Brown
Richie or Schenn-Zeus-Simmonds
Well... It won't cost us the same as Kovalchuk, but is will cost us a lot more than that. As I said, Vinny has Kopitar numbers, regardless of the extra million, he is a very good center who has hit the 100 point and 50 goal marks. He is a franchise player and will cost some assets to acquire. His contract gives you a discount, but they won't move him if you are going to only offer a second line center and a prospect with diminished value.

Let's not fool ourselves. Lecavalier >>> Stoll.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
I don't buy the Kovy to KHL thing. Sure, its possible, but I really don't think its likely. I think its more of a looming threat than a real destination for Kovy.

At only 26, with a family being raised in America, and a great career thus far, but without any tangible success, I am banking on Kovy being HIGHLY interested in playing in the best league in the world on a good team for once in his life. The Russia option will always be there. They will always have a league with big young russian stars and aging russian stars. Kovy is in the middle of the pack and can go play there when he is 35 and still get a mega pay day and in all likelihood, dominate that league at 35 just as well as he can dominate this one at 25.
If you can get paid more money to play the sport you love in the country you were born and raised in as opposed to a county you came to a few years ago, I guarantee you he'd pick the first option. The Stanley Cup is secondary to Russians, the Olympics and World Championships are more highly sought after. Add into the fact that the NHL might not release players for the Olympics in the future and the KHL becomes a real option.

Old
01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Agreed. I blame Kurri

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 08:23 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I can't see Lecavalier playing until he's 40. 35-36 sure, after that I think he'll hang them up. Having said that, he's still the more attractive option when Kovalchuk is likely to head to Russia if he doesn't get a massive contract and Marleau is either going to re-sign in SJ at a discount or get a similar overpayment on the open market. Lecavalier is rumored to have had a problem with Tortorella, and by all accounts that's easy to do when you play for that *******. I'm sure most of us would have requested a trade playing under that loud mouth. As far as sulking goes, he had a lot of responsibility put on his shoulders at a very young age.
If that's true, then I'm all for acquiring him. I don't think he can readily promise that though. I'll still love to get him on the team one way or another; I just hope Dean has a plan for the cap as he always does.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Well... It won't cost us the same as Kovalchuk, but is will cost us a lot more than that. As I said, Vinny has Kopitar numbers, regardless of the extra million, he is a very good center who has hit the 100 point and 50 goal marks. He is a franchise player and will cost some assets to acquire. His contract gives you a discount, but they won't move him if you are going to only offer a second line center and a prospect with diminished value.

Let's not fool ourselves. Lecavalier >>> Stoll.
There's no doubt that Vinny > Stoll. However, due to his 10 yrs of top line cap hit, I think his contract devalues him some. Besides, I think Stoll would be an ideal 2nd line centerman for TB.

I'm ok with any combination with Stoll as long as it doesn't include anyone from our current roster other than the obvious ones we're willing to part with. Add a prospect like Voinov and I'd be ok with it.

Old
02-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Let's learn something from the Kings of the '60s and '70s and keep our young players.

In the early going, the general managers for the Kings kept dealing for has-beens, and the team struggled for 15 years.

Conversely, the Flyers developed their young players and became a Stanley Cup champion within 10 years of being born.

I think this team has a special chemistry, and we shouldn't screw with it.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote