HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phaneuf to the Maple Leafs

Old
01-31-2010, 11:19 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

vCash: 500
Holy crap. Unbelievable job by Burke.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
This confirms it....Kovalchuk is going to be a Maple Leaf

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Dreger revising the ANA-TOR deal...now it's Giggy to TOR for Goals-kala and Jason Blake.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
macleod50

Remember when Flames fans told us the only way Phaneuf would be an Islander was for a 1st, Okposo, and Bailey?

Says a lot about how fans overvalue players.

Burke did a damn fine job today.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
RafterRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
I remember a Flames fan coming on here a year ago and saying how they wouldn't even discuss Phaneuf unless Okposo was in the deal.

Wow! How the mighty have fallen!
Yes... but a year ago the Flames didn't have Bowmeester. Having 2 top dollar D-men always makes one expendable....especially when one isn't playing up to par and you are looking to go deep. The other consideration is the "clearing salary for more moves" theory. That could also help explain why this trade occurred so early. The Flames also had scoring issues and picked up some guys that can put some goals in the net (albiet not tons of goals but more than Phanuef has scored lately).

Just my thoughts.....

Would love to know if Sutter talked to Garth at all. We probably could have gave them something similiar that wouldn't have broken our bank either.

RafterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Dice on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
Hope Burke is confident he can attract some UFAs in June. That team has no scoring and it just got a lot worse! But, the D could be the best in the league.
I mean, of course. That's why they have the world's worst penalty kill.

They gave up their best minute-eating defenseman this season in Ian White. Don't overrate Phaneuf. Nice player, but you'll see why Calgary was so eager to deal him.

The Flames get salary cap relief and much-needed depth for their Cup run this season. I think this positively affects the chemistry of their squad. Plus they have room to go out and make another deal for a guy who's a better fit.

As for Giguere, he has been horrible for a long time. Hiller-Toskala is pretty good for Anaheim.

I really can't sing Burke's praises on this one.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

This looks like a pretty good deal for both teams. Phaneuf had become the 4th defenseman in Calgary with the emergence of Giordano and the Flames desperately needed forward depth. Hagman and Stajan should add some secondary offense. Ian White is no slouch either and should fit nicely on their 2nd pair.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
This looks like a pretty good deal for both teams. Phaneuf had become the 4th defenseman in Calgary with the emergence of Giordano and the Flames desperately needed forward depth. Hagman and Stajan should add some secondary offense. Ian White is no slouch either and should fit nicely on their 2nd pair.
Agreed. Phaneuf has never added nearly as much value as he did name recognition. I actually think that Sutter got a nice return of 3 valuable roster players for one highly paid, positionally deficient defenseman.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
RafterRat

If the Leafs trade for Fisher from the Sens.... could be some nice eye candy in TO

RafterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:46 PM
BOSSY1126

i live in calgary i see phaneuf all the time ,he's so over-rated but still a nice job by burke

BOSSY1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Renbarg

I think Phaneuf has regressed since his hot start. I don't get to watch him a ton but his defensive game basically didnt progress at all.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
IslesNorway

If building a winner begins with building a defense then Burke has done a great job. The Leafs have got a great defense corps now but they've also tied up a lot of money in it. TOR will always attract free agents simply because they're the Leafs so a very good deal for them this one.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Bossy573

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
If building a winner begins with building a defense then Burke has done a great job.
It does and he has.

A 24 year old true #1 at the blueline (under contract) and the Flames best defensive prospect for a bunch of pretty good forwards and a pretty good defenseman?

Great deal for the Leafs. Just OK for the Flames.

Bossy573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Augscura

I love big trades like this. Especially in the cap era.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
IslesNorway

Trades are always fun. Let's hope this gets the ball rolling and create a few more. Hopefully Garth can chip in and make a deal or two on his own as well.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I think Phaneuf has regressed since his hot start. I don't get to watch him a ton but his defensive game basically didnt progress at all.
Yeah, I don't really see how this is a clear-cut victory for Toronto. Phaneuf is a nice player but his defensive positioning has left something to be desired of late and his production is down from where it was two years ago. Giordano and Bouwmeester made Phaneuf expendable, and Calgary basically took every good forward off Toronto's roster.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
Yeah, I don't really see how this is a clear-cut victory for Toronto. Phaneuf is a nice player but his defensive positioning has left something to be desired of late and his production is down from where it was two years ago. Giordano and Bouwmeester made Phaneuf expendable, and Calgary basically took every good forward off Toronto's roster.
It might not be a clear-cut win today but Phaneuf being signed for many years makes it so because the Leafs can easily replace all those they traded via free agency in the summer and STILL they have Phaneuf. They'll struggle for the rest of the year offensively but as they won't make the playoffs anyway it really doesn't matter to them.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Leafs acquire - by far - the best talent in the deal. Phaneuf has, indeed, been underperforming and his salary is not small. But by any standards (other than HF's), he remains young, has room/time to develop his game. Any NHL GM would love to take on that challenge/opportunity.

A protypical "core" is a comprised of a goalie, #1 dman, top line center and a sniper on the wing. Burke has now added two such pieces (W/D) over the last half year, IMO. That's moving quick.

This deal may actually help Calgary in the near-term, as the sum may add up to be more than the individual pieces. But I'm dubious, overall.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Leafs acquire - by far - the best talent in the deal. Phaneuf has, indeed, been underperforming and his salary is not small. But by any standards (other than HF's), he remains young, has room/time to develop his game. Any NHL GM would love to take on that challenge/opportunity.

A protypical "core" is a comprised of a goalie, #1 dman, top line center and a sniper on the wing. Burke has now added two such pieces (W/D) over the last half year, IMO. That's moving quick.

This deal may actually help Calgary in the near-term, as the sum may add up to be more than the individual pieces. But I'm dubious, overall.
Yep, the Leafs have gotten Phaneuf for pretty cheap, and he's young enough to turn this regression around. It's an expensive project for sure at 6.5 million, and the only real asset they gave up was Ian White (the other guys would not have been a part of the team next year). Meanwhile, a trade like this puts Calgary in the playoffs as they picked up some solid secondary scoring.

I think Burke definitely did a great job with this deal because he bought low, and Phaneuf's value will never be lower than it is right now, so if it doesn't work out in Toronto, you may see him get dealt again for a much better return. But not many teams had the cap space to take on such an expensive project. Yes, he's 24, and yes, he had great years in the past, but he hasn't performed at that 6.5 million dollar price tag he carries.

As far as what Burke is doing. I still don't like it. He has a pretty good sniper in Kessel, and a potential #1 dman in Phaneuf. However, the cost for Kessel may be a Hall/Seguin (2 guys projected to be better players than Kessel, and a likely top 10 pick again next year because I don't see this team being any good again). Also, you gotta ask yourself how good the goaltending really is? JS Giguerre hasn't been very good for about a year now. Also, as you allude to, a #1 center is paramount. Those don't grow on trees and are mostly drafted. Very rarely do you see a difference-making center in free agency.

The Maple Leafs are a lot more interesting with Burke, no doubt. And while the Phaneuf deal is definitely the right move for them, I don't see the other pieces coming together quick enough for them to have a legitimate shot at contending any time soon.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
As far as what Burke is doing. I still don't like it. He has a pretty good sniper in Kessel, and a potential #1 dman in Phaneuf. However, the cost for Kessel may be a Hall/Seguin (2 guys projected to be better players than Kessel, and a likely top 10 pick again next year because I don't see this team being any good again)....And while the Phaneuf deal is definitely the right move for them, I don't see the other pieces coming together quick enough for them to have a legitimate shot at contending any time soon.
No doubt, they have a long way to go. And we'll just have to see how the 2010 picks turn out vs. Kessel, though if I'm Burke, I really care little about how Hall/Seguin perform, what matters is how Kessel performs.

I'm just looking at it from a standpoint of adding important pieces. To your point, I have no idea how he's going to find quality down the middle and longer-term in goal. (It's exceedingly early, so it's premature to make any firm assessment, but in the 8 or so games I've seen Gustavsson, I've been highly unimpressed.)

That said, June of last year, I would have said same about the chances of him acquiring a sniper and quality dman.

Old
01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
And also Ian White who was probably the best defenseman on the leafs other than Kaberle.

Doug Height is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:15 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
And also Ian White who was probably the best defenseman on the leafs other than Kaberle.
Not probably, he was. Leafs fans loved this guy.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
To go one step further, I think that White has probably played better this season that Phaneuf has. To be sure, Phaneuf has a higher ceiling (and is under longterm team control), but the Leafs just dealt one of the most underrated defensemen in hockey for one of the most overrated.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:24 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Looks like a good trade for both teams.

Leafs get a potential top-pairing D man to go along with Kaberle, Schenn etc. with hopes that his game evolves.

Flames get some needed depth, two solid 2nd liners who could take some of the burden off the top line.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
To go one step further, I think that White has probably played better this season that Phaneuf has. To be sure, Phaneuf has a higher ceiling (and is under longterm team control), but the Leafs just dealt one of the most underrated defensemen in hockey for one of the most overrated.
I disagree.

White has been better this season. But to draw ANY conclusion based on that is GMing by PowerPoll.

As in: who's "hotter" the last game, week or month(s). As in: no perspective, whatsoever.

We'll never be able to prove it, but I'd bet my life that you could not find a single NHL GM who would choose White over Phaneuf. And that includes D. Sutter, today. Likewise, yuo can have Ian White out on the ice today for your side. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a coach who wouldn't rather have Phaneuf on the ice for them today, current "snapshot" assessments, notwithstanding. It's really not even that close.

It's akin to saying that Matt Moulson is scoring more goals than John Tavares this year. Big deal.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-31-2010 at 04:38 PM.