HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Heikkinen to the KHL/Europe?(Confirms he won't return for 10-11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2010, 06:40 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,002
vCash: 500
Heikkinen to the KHL/Europe?(Confirms he won't return for 10-11)

Quote:
The Rangers' decision to keep Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival on the roster and in the lineup every day is not only choking the team's cap situation, is not only costing the team points in the standings, but is quite likely to drive Ilkka Heikkinen back overseas when the 25-year-old Finnish defenseman's contract expires at the end of the season.

This is emblematic of the irrational thinking that defines a front office (or ownership) that refuses to admit its mistakes and cut its losses, thereby ensuring further losses on and off the ice.
Heikkinen, operating on a two-way contract after signing as a free agent last summer, is earning $65,000 this season in Hartford.

Rest assured the physical defenseman with offensive instincts who received praise from coach John Tortorella during a seven-game trial run in December, will receive offers of substantially more guaranteed money from the KHL, which, of course, he would be foolish not to accept.

And the Rangers will lose a young guy they liked enough to sign without ever really having given him a chance and finding out what he can do.

Makes sense here.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0eC1zx2TT

Hockey is different here

Larry has some other good rips on the Rangers. Enjoy

Cap going down next season if the players don't exercise their 5% bump. Some NHLPA hawks are sick of paying 18% into escrow.


Last edited by RangerBoy: 02-18-2010 at 12:25 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:32 AM
  #2
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,614
vCash: 500
Nothing surprising here. R & R continue to struggle--their shared 11.5 m cap hits make them too valuable to our mediocre team. Our two highest paid d-men are our two worst defensemen. Things are just @ss backwards here.

Sather stuck with Low for two whole seasons. His reasons for not firing him in the second year was that they were friends and there had been a death in Low's family. The poorly coached and unmotivated Rangers not going to the playoffs was secondary to all that.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:33 AM
  #3
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Let the ingrate walk. We're STACKED. Hockey'sfuture.com says so.

Besides we currently have a fine corps of defensemen. They may need to step up their play a bit, but the Rozsival and Redden signings were exactly the right moves. I know because Glen Sather made them, and he's won multiple Cups.

Nothing to see here. All is well.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:54 AM
  #4
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Let the ingrate walk. We're STACKED. Hockey'sfuture.com says so.

Besides we currently have a fine corps of defensemen. They may need to step up their play a bit, but the Rozsival and Redden signings were exactly the right moves. I know because Glen Sather made them, and he's won multiple Cups.

Nothing to see here. All is well.
And he hasn't lost a trade in like...forever. Forever circa 2005 I mean.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:18 AM
  #5
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,471
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Let the ingrate walk. We're STACKED. Hockey'sfuture.com says so.

Besides we currently have a fine corps of defensemen. They may need to step up their play a bit, but the Rozsival and Redden signings were exactly the right moves. I know because Glen Sather made them, and he's won multiple Cups.

Nothing to see here. All is well.
What bugs me is that we don't have a single defenceman with a good shot from the point who's even close to being ready for NHL play. The only one is Heikkinen and they're ready to let him walk...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:19 AM
  #6
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,232
vCash: 50
Oh no we might lose Heikkinen, I don't know how our system would recover.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:38 AM
  #7
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Oh no we might lose Heikkinen, I don't know how our system would recover.
The issue is larger than Heikkinen himself. The point is that we have dead weight that is limiting our options, both internally and externally.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:40 AM
  #8
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Nothing surprising here. R & R continue to struggle--their shared 11.5 m cap hits make them too valuable to our mediocre team. Our two highest paid d-men are our two worst defensemen. Things are just @ss backwards here.

Sather stuck with Low for two whole seasons. His reasons for not firing him in the second year was that they were friends and there had been a death in Low's family. The poorly coached and unmotivated Rangers not going to the playoffs was secondary to all that.
Roszival is actually one of our best defenseman. 2nd best, to be exact.

I think you need to reassess his performance.

Redden is just a joke.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
  #9
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,322
vCash: 500
I would be ecstatic if Heikenen got some time this season and decided to stay. The guy is ready for the NHL. I saw him live in Buffalo in one of his games when he was up and he was surprisingly physical and smooth with the puck. He looked good, oh well, at least we get to see 6.5 million go to Redden, who needs a good young defenseman?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
  #10
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,121
vCash: 500
wow let's cry about a potential (key word) 3rd pairing guy possibly leaving at the end of the year!

The Rangers liked him enough to sign him just like they did with guys like Richter, etc. It was taking a shot on a guy to see how things shook out in camp, not that he was seriously in their longterm plans

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
  #11
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
wow let's cry about a potential (key word) 3rd pairing guy possibly leaving at the end of the year!

The Rangers liked him enough to sign him just like they did with guys like Richter, etc. It was taking a shot on a guy to see how things shook out in camp, not that he was seriously in their longterm plans
Another person who doesn't get the point of the article?

Exactly what hlundqvist said previously, the fact that Sather will not admit to his mistakes and extricate himself from the double R/R contracts and bring up others who could do well is killing the team.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
  #12
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL
 
Boom Boom Geoffrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Country: Greece
Posts: 7,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Let the ingrate walk. We're STACKED. Hockey'sfuture.com says so.

Besides we currently have a fine corps of defensemen. They may need to step up their play a bit, but the Rozsival and Redden signings were exactly the right moves. I know because Glen Sather made them, and he's won multiple Cups.

Nothing to see here. All is well.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
  #13
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Roszival is actually one of our best defenseman. 2nd best, to be exact.

I think you need to reassess his performance.

Redden is just a joke.
Agreed, and the fact that Brooks continues to attack Rozsival leads me to believe that he either doesn't watch the games or, like many posters here, hates on a player based on their cap hit as opposed to their actual play.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
  #14
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Heikkinen could have been good for this team. He's more physical than 90% of our roster and he also handles the puck well and has good offensive instincts. Good poise too. He's an older prospect who signed as a free agent, in similar fashion to Gilroy, probably expecting to get at least a decent shake at some NHL time. I mean, why is it "unfair" to send Redden to the minors, but completely fair to convince a guy to sign with you and than never give him a shot? We were not the only team talking with Heikkinen. I think if he doesn't resign here he may find another deal in the NHL, personally. I'd be willing to bet that over the course of the season, Heikkinen as our 6th pans out better than Redden...


Last edited by SERE 24: 01-31-2010 at 02:16 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
  #15
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,569
vCash: 500
I've been screaming about the need to trade Rosie to create space for Beer at every chance on this board. It's just such a common sense move. Get a second rounder for Rosie to help the future, while keeping a decent young defenseman.

Would it hurt us a little this year? Probably, but nothing major.

I doubt that replacing Rosie with Beer would result in us losing a playoff spot. Either we'll make it or we won't, but this change wouldn't make a difference.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
  #16
XLJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Heikkinen could have been good for this team. He's more physical than 90% of our roster and he also handles the puck well and has good offensive instincts. Good poise too. He's an older prospect who signed as a free agent, in similar fashion to Gilroy, probably expecting to get at least a decent shake at some NHL time. I mean, why is it "unfair" to send Redden to the minors, but completely fair to convince a guy to sign with you and than never give him a shot? We were only the only team talking with Heikkinen. I think if he doesn't resign here he may find another deal in the NHL, personally. I'd be willing to bet that over the course of the season, Heikkinen as our 6th pans out better than Redden...

I agree Redden is going to eventually get sent down to the minors. No one is going to trade for him. I dont know what they are waiting for. I rather see Heikkinen play the rest of the season.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
  #17
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I've been screaming about the need to trade Rosie to create space for Beer at every chance on this board. It's just such a common sense move. Get a second rounder for Rosie to help the future, while keeping a decent young defenseman.

Would it hurt us a little this year? Probably, but nothing major.

I doubt that replacing Rosie with Beer would result in us losing a playoff spot. Either we'll make it or we won't, but this change wouldn't make a difference.
This I agree with 100%

It still gives no excuse to the people that bash Roszival's performance, which has been pretty good this year.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
  #18
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Roszival is actually one of our best defenseman. 2nd best, to be exact.

I think you need to reassess his performance.

Redden is just a joke.
I'll assess it for you now. Rozsival is average defensively for an NHL player. He got his big contract mostly because of his 40 or so point a year expectations. It doesn't look like we can look forward to (m)any more of those. He has a tendency as well to take goofy penalties such as last night. At this point in time he's not worth the money he's making and at his age we'd be just as well getting experience for younger guys--at least that is if you are of the opinion that I am that this current team is going nowhere. Personally not just on salary but on age, ability and potential I'd easily take all of Staal, MDZ, Gilroy and Girardi over him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
  #19
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,018
vCash: 500
I agree with Larry. Heikennen could be the next Brian Rafalski (the next Paul Mara would even be better) but we'd never know. He did well. He deserves to be up over those dead beats.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
  #20
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemanftwr View Post
lets hope he does walk, that will show dolan.

Show him what? Dolan has no idea who Ilkka Heikkinen even IS.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:28 PM
  #21
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,286
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Roszival is actually one of our best defenseman. 2nd best, to be exact.

I think you need to reassess his performance.

Redden is just a joke.
That statement right there is our problem.

A #4 defenceman is out best and you don't see a problem with that?


pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:30 PM
  #22
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
That statement right there is our problem.

A #4 defenceman is out best and you don't see a problem with that?

He never said that. In fact he agreed that Roszival should be gone (in his next post). He simply stated that he is our second best defenseman.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
  #23
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I wish Heikkenen was still up here, even as a 7th dman. He gets his money, we can sit Redden and whoever else for Heikkenen here and there...everyone wins. And just how much is the AHL going to benefit him anyway? I think at this point, NHL practices and spot duty would be better for him. He looked really comfortable in his games with the Rangers this season.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:43 PM
  #24
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I wish Heikkenen was still up here, even as a 7th dman. He gets his money, we can sit Redden and whoever else for Heikkenen here and there...everyone wins. And just how much is the AHL going to benefit him anyway? I think at this point, NHL practices and spot duty would be better for him. He looked really comfortable in his games with the Rangers this season.
Agreed, he should be with the Rangers, he has very little to learn from playing in the AHL.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
  #25
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Heikkinen? Really Larry? You're crying over Ilkka Heikkinen?

Someone's getting desperate for new ways to slam the Rangers.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.