HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Burrows Appreciation Thread

Old
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
In Gillis We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
At the 2/3 mark of the season, would anyone say Burrows is on the radar for the Selke trophy?
Most short-handed goals in the league and the 2nd best +/-. Not only should he be on radar, he should be considered the favourite IMO. Stats alone don't describe Burrows' game, but having the most SH goals and 2nd best +/- cannot be overlooked. If Mike Richards or Datsyuk had those numbers, they'd be favourites. So why not Burrows?

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:18 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gillis We Trust View Post
Most short-handed goals in the league and the 2nd best +/-. Not only should he be on radar, he should be considered the favourite IMO. Stats alone don't describe Burrows' game, but having the most SH goals and 2nd best +/- cannot be overlooked. If Mike Richards or Datsyuk had those numbers, they'd be favourites. So why not Burrows?
We should have 2 of the 3 Selke nominees, because we have 2 of the 3 best defensive forwards in the league, but we probably wont - because the Selke is one of the most puzzling trophies.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:44 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gillis We Trust View Post
I'm with you, I just noticed no one had really mentioned it in this thread.

I hope the last couple Hockey nights in Canada where the spot light has been put on Burrows, and he's produced really gets his name out there over some of the bad publicity floating around.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
We should have 2 of the 3 Selke nominees, because we have 2 of the 3 best defensive forwards in the league, but we probably wont - because the Selke is one of the most puzzling trophies.
Selke, Vezina and other trophies are unlikely to go to your team (Canucks) only as they are heavily influenced by votes that see so few of the games your team plays. Don't let it bother you. For example, those in the know in hockey could not believe Luongo didn't win Vezina in 2006/2007 during his first year in Vancouver let alone the Hart. He took a 80 point team and made them a 105 point team and took them to the 2nd round with a save percentage in the playoffs that was one for the ages.

For Alex Burrows or Ryan Kesler to win the Selke, any Canuck to win the Vezina, Norris or similar....just not likely to happen.

Look, you guys get to live in arguably the most beautiful city in the world. You have a disproportionate number of beautiful women. You have one of the NHL's most dynamic teams. Let some other teams/cities have their moments too....

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
At the 2/3 mark of the season, would anyone say Burrows is on the radar for the Selke trophy?
Kesler finished 11th in '07-'08, and 3rd in '08-'09.
Burrows finished 11th in '08-'09, and ___ in '09-'10.

Coincidence?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Ken Jones

i can care less about individual trophies and who they go to. i care about trophy deserving performances that lead to the biggest prize.

Ken Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Hielo Grande

i wonder if burrows still talks to luc and if so how often. i think burr is totally a class act ... even for the classless canucks

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
i wonder if burrows still talks to luc and if so how often. i think burr is totally a class act ... even for the classless canucks
Er... What?
Lets not get into any supernatural BS here.

It's clear Luc holds a place in Burr's heart. The multiple Arrow celebrations tonight were testament and it clearly drives him.

But there's nothing supernatural about Burrow's rise to the top. Hard work, determination, hockey IQ, and some damn good skill has gotten him here. Lets enjoy every minute of it, we may never see another one like him!

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Shareefruck

Player of the Month for January?

Henrik Sedin
13gp, 6g, 25pt, +14

Alex Ovechkin
14gp, 8g, 24pt, +15

Alex Burrows
13gp, 15g, 22pt, +17

Daniel Sedin
13gp, 6g, 22pt, +14

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Player of the Month for January?

Henrik Sedin
13gp, 5g, 25pt, +14

Alex Ovechkin
14gp, 8g, 24pt, +15

Alex Burrows
13gp, 15g, 22pt, +17

Daniel Sedin
13gp, 6g, 22pt, +14
I think Ron MacLean has the final say.
In his books 1 diving call = -15 goals.

So in reality (lets be reality here, guys), Burrows has 0 goals and 7 pts.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:00 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Selke, Vezina and other trophies are unlikely to go to your team (Canucks) only as they are heavily influenced by votes that see so few of the games your team plays. Don't let it bother you. For example, those in the know in hockey could not believe Luongo didn't win Vezina in 2006/2007 during his first year in Vancouver let alone the Hart. He took a 80 point team and made them a 105 point team and took them to the 2nd round with a save percentage in the playoffs that was one for the ages.

For Alex Burrows or Ryan Kesler to win the Selke, any Canuck to win the Vezina, Norris or similar....just not likely to happen.

Look, you guys get to live in arguably the most beautiful city in the world. You have a disproportionate number of beautiful women. You have one of the NHL's most dynamic teams. Let some other teams/cities have their moments too....
Actually it was right between Luongo and Brodeur. Brodeur had better stats, Luongo was arguably the better goaltender.

What actually pissed me off more was Crosby's ridiculous hart totals.

Still, Luongo finished 2nd for all 3 awards and Vigneault won the Jack Adams that year.

Kesler was third for the selke alst season and Luongo (despite people's constant whining) was 4th for the Vezina.

Naslund won a pearson and was second for the ahrt.

Play well enough and you will get attention.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Hielo Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Er... What?
Lets not get into any supernatural BS here.

It's clear Luc holds a place in Burr's heart. The multiple Arrow celebrations tonight were testament and it clearly drives him.

But there's nothing supernatural about Burrow's rise to the top. Hard work, determination, hockey IQ, and some damn good skill has gotten him here. Lets enjoy every minute of it, we may never see another one like him!
lol ... yes, that's all i was saying. and cetainly it is a treat to watch the man play hockey, his speed, his defence, how he makes the sedins look good. his game has evolved tremendously over the last couple of years. as his hockey talents and the respect he gets grow he sheds the things he no longer needs. he himself said he's been good lately when he told he was "being watched" on a non-existent watch-list. he has always played the way he had to play to realize his dream and right now that's playing solid two-way hockey. when he does realize the dream and hoists the cup he'll still be talking to luc.

What, you can't hear burr saying "this is for you luc"? you must not have any class.

btw, this is all tung-n-cheek; please don't take offence

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:04 AM
droid56

I know why Burrows isn't on the Canadian Olympics team, but I wish he was, because he probably, as of this day, deserves to be.

He would help us win, as he offers offense and defense, something every team needs.

droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:09 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
What is burrows pace right now for goals?.

can you imagine if he pots what 35+? dammn

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:09 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
i can care less about individual trophies and who they go to. i care about trophy deserving performances that lead to the biggest prize.
Obviously you are right, I'm sure Burrows would trade any individual award to win the cup, but the discussion is the Selke trophy and if Burrows is in contention for it.

Is the Selke voted on by GM's? the media?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:16 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post

Burrows is on pace for 38 goals.

Right now he's tied in 9th in the NHL with Henrik, Parise, Semin... just ahead of Nash, Iginla and Bobby Ryan who have 24 goals.

The ONLY NHL players who have more goals than Burrows are:

Marleau, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Heatley, Stamkos, Cammalleri.

No one else besides these 8 players have more goals than $2 mil Alex Burrows...

EDIT: After tonight Burrows also leads the NHL in 'short-handed points' with 5, 4 being goals.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:57 AM
Meganuck*

If Burrows wasnt so classless and dirty and cheap and the cause for cancer, i might like him.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:20 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Obviously you are right, I'm sure Burrows would trade any individual award to win the cup, but the discussion is the Selke trophy and if Burrows is in contention for it.

Is the Selke voted on by GM's? the media?
Media. GMs only vote on the Vezina as far as I know.

Honestly, at this point I think Burrows may be a better candidate than Kesler, and that's not a knock on Kesler.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Placebo Effect

Burrows setting franchise mark for goals in January, leads the league SHG, leads the team in goals. Unreality...

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by One95 View Post
Burrows setting franchise mark for goals in January, leads the league SHG, leads the team in goals. Unreality...
Let's be reality here, he's Warren Young.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Ernie

I wonder if the Auger situation and its fallout will help Burrows or hurt him in player of the month consideration...

Giving him the honor could be a bone for the Canucks from the league, and it's not like he doesn't deserve it. On the other hand, I could see them wanting to give him as little attention in the media as possible.

Would be crazy to see two Canucks back to back though - that never happened in the WCE days. I think Naslund only won one ever, and Cloutier won one during that time.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Media. GMs only vote on the Vezina as far as I know.

Honestly, at this point I think Burrows may be a better candidate than Kesler, and that's not a knock on Kesler.
Only if you're looking at stats, IMO. Burrows hasn't been all over the ice stealing pucks from everyone like Kesler has, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Only if you're looking at stats, IMO. Burrows hasn't been all over the ice stealing pucks from everyone like Kesler has, IMO.
I'm basing that on what I've seen from the two this year. Burrows is all over the ice defensively and recovers the puck a ton too, though maybe not as much as Kesler. The difference to me is that I think he's been a better penalty killer.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post

Projected: 38G 36A 74P +46

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
NuxFan09

I just can't believe Burrows has 25 goals and 49 points in 54 games! Nobody thought this guy would have any impact whatsoever, let alone become almost a PPG player. What a story!

Glad to have Burrows on this team!

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote