HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Lukas Krajicek after clearing unconditional waivers from Tampa

Old
01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Thor would be a great 3rd/4th liner, but we already have Carcillo-betts-Lapp-Asham-Powe as energy guys

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatum Biggs View Post
Jester, what do you figure the third line should be? the 4th line is the equivalent to the standard nhl checking line (which doesnt really exist anymore. for the most part, top lines match top lines) and they have two guys on that line that will drop their gloves with anyone. its like 2 lines in one. are you saying the flyers shouldnt have three scoring lines?
The 4th line has 16 goals total (Betts' total is a career high). If that's the equivalent of a NHL third line, you're looking at the worst team in the league.

And, no, we should not have "three scoring lines." For a few reasons:

1) The minutes simply are not there for the third line.

2) Our third line right now is a match up problem, because any good team with dangerous, big centers down the middle can beat up on Giroux (note how he moved back to wing when we played Pittsburgh).

3) It's financially unsustainable in any long term perspective.

What we need from that line is a group that can win faceoffs, play defense, and chip in offensively. And, yes, they're certainly chipping in offensively right now...but what we got right now is going to be done for sure after next offseason most likely, when Gagne, Carter, and Giroux are all up for contracts. We shouldn't be looking to sign a guy like Thor right now...we should be looking to sign the 3rd line center we really need.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The 4th line has 16 goals total (Betts' total is a career high). If that's the equivalent of a NHL third line, you're looking at the worst team in the league.

2) Our third line right now is a match up problem, because any good team with dangerous, big centers down the middle can beat up on Giroux (note how he moved back to wing when we played Pittsburgh).

What we need from that line is a group that can win faceoffs, play defense, and chip in offensively. And, yes, they're certainly chipping in offensively right now...but what we got right now is going to be done for sure after next offseason most likely, when Gagne, Carter, and Giroux are all up for contracts. We shouldn't be looking to sign a guy like Thor right now...we should be looking to sign the 3rd line center we really need.
It's funny how hard some of us got bashed for wanting Malhotra, fastforward 6 months he has 23 points and is +14 for the Sharks, 62 percent on faceoffs, over 2 minutes per night in PK time for the league's best PK.

For 700K.

Yeah, that would have been a dumb signing.

As much as I like Powe, you throw Malhotra on the 3rd line with JVR and Asham, that's a pretty sick 3rd that you can match up on Malkin/Staal/whoever.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It's funny how hard some of us got bashed for wanting Malhotra, fastforward 6 months he has 23 points and is +14 for the Sharks, 62 percent on faceoffs, over 2 minutes per night in PK time for the league's best PK.

For 700K.

As much as I like Powe, you throw Malhotra on the 3rd line with JVR and Asham, that's a pretty sick 3rd that you can match up on Malkin/Staal/whoever.
Remember how he was like...bad attitude...team cancer....and...like "well no one else signed him yet, why should we? he can't be that good"

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Remember how he was like...bad attitude...team cancer....and...like "well no one else signed him yet, why should we? he can't be that good"
I was fairly indifferent but the boards were pretty split. Though I do distinctly remember that it was rumored that he was looking for at least twice his current salary, if not more, and that just wasn't in the cards for us.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 05:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I was fairly indifferent but the boards were pretty split. Though I do distinctly remember that it was rumored that he was looking for at least twice his current salary, if not more, and that just wasn't in the cards for us.
That's why you play out the market and wait (the Flyers typically MUST have all their targets by 1pm on July 1). If they would have waited to sign Boucher and jettisoned Randy Jones in July when they should have, you could have Malholtra at about $1M as the #3 center, with Betts, and the rest of the crowd they ended up with, maybe some cap space too. Domenic Moore fell into the same trap. Probably Betts too.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Champ Anderson*

Quote:

well yeah. obviously things will change in the offseason... but it's still this season. with the players they have now, giroux at center is the best option. I never said anything about thor. he is a nice player, but there is no room for him on this team.

Champ Anderson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 06:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

When the Canucks acquired Krajicek in the Luongo trade, there were expectations that he'd fit comfortably in a 2nd pairing role after a season or two. He was pretty disappointing and only lasted two seasons in Vancouver.

He's a decent puck moving defenseman but isn't particularly strong along the boards or in front of the net. He's a good depth acquisition, though, much like OKT was in the off-season.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 06:16 PM
lancer247

[QUOTE=CanadianFlyer88;23543063]When the Canucks acquired Krajicek in the Luongo trade, there were expectations that he'd fit comfortably in a 2nd pairing role after a season or two. He was pretty disappointing and only lasted two seasons in Vancouver.

He's a decent puck moving defenseman but isn't particularly strong along the boards or in front of the net. He's a good depth acquisition, though, much like OKT was in the off-season.[/QUO

Good Size (6'2"), skates really well, good outlet passer but not physical. So, they basically reacquired Randy Jones.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post

Good Size (6'2"), skates really well, good outlet passer but not physical. So, they basically reacquired Randy Jones.
nobody said he would make horrible breakout passes to the wrong team several times a game or that he had a 35 mph slapshot

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:

For 700K.

The point was that Malholtra wanted MINUTES. Dude plays 2nd line most of the time in SJ. Thats why he didnt sign here, add to that comments on his attitude, the great play of Betts and I could give a rats ass about Malholtra.

Old
01-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Jester

Quote:
well yeah. obviously things will change in the offseason... but it's still this season. with the players they have now, giroux at center is the best option. I never said anything about thor. he is a nice player, but there is no room for him on this team.
Well, the post you responded to...was about bringing Thor in.

Giroux at center is a mess...it's a matchup problem, and we're doing all sorts of goofy crap in the top 6 (I'm sorry, Powe is not and never will be a good option in the top 6). However, it makes a certain amount of sense because Holmgren didn't do anything about getting a third line center...which was a glaring need last offseason.

Old
01-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
The point was that Malholtra wanted MINUTES. Dude plays 2nd line most of the time in SJ. Thats why he didnt sign here, add to that comments on his attitude, the great play of Betts and I could give a rats ass about Malholtra.
He's playing 15:39 a night...minutes we easily could have given him on a legit 3rd line. Betts has been good, but he isn't even in the same ballpark as far as winning draws, and doesn't have the offensive ability to really play above the 4th line.

And for 700K, his attitude was manageable (by waiving, etc.). Though, I'm always suspicious of hearsay stuff like that.

Old
01-31-2010, 07:11 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
He's playing 15:39 a night...minutes we easily could have given him on a legit 3rd line. Betts has been good, but he isn't even in the same ballpark as far as winning draws, and doesn't have the offensive ability to really play above the 4th line.

And for 700K, his attitude was manageable (by waiving, etc.). Though, I'm always suspicious of hearsay stuff like that.
I dont think he would have signed here for 700k. I've just never been keen on him as a good "defensive" player, and find people just overate his defense due to his faceoff %. For 700k I would never have said no to him, but he almost signed in Atlanta for 2 mil a year, and im sure he took the 700k discount for a good oppertunity in SJ for minutes and winnings

He is SJ's 6th forward in ice time.

Old
01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
I dont think he would have signed here for 700k. I've just never been keen on him as a good "defensive" player, and find people just overate his defense due to his faceoff %. For 700k I would never have said no to him, but he almost signed in Atlanta for 2 mil a year, and im sure he took the 700k discount for a good oppertunity in SJ for minutes and winnings

He could easily be the 6th forward here if he wanted. Hypothetically plug him in for Powe, Powe already plays 13 mins, then you have Betts and Lappy playing 13 each on the 4th line and Gagne playing 18 when his play doesn't warrant it tbh, we could find him plenty of time.

Also, I watch a good deal of SJ games since they're on later and he really has been a monster, I'm always noticing No.27.

Based on his play this year, I easily would have given him 1.5-2 mill which would have been pretty easy if we had stashed Jones in the AHL.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob18 View Post
Really, I'd hope they could do better then trying to bring back Thor.
I really hope so too. The Thor train left a long time ago. As much as i loved that guy, as we all did, he wouldn't be a + on anyone that we already have. Homer always has his hands in the cookie jar, so hopefully he grabs a bigger cookie than Thor. That and i don't need Wolfy all over another Norwegian's nuts.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Jester

Quote:

That's what happens when you're a stud on draws (you get put out there for a lot of defensive zone draws), and play the PK, etc.

We were a chic pic for the Cup last offseason ourselves, we had some "winning" pull ourselves.

Old
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Not quite the same cap hit is it?

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
He could easily be the 6th forward here if he wanted. Hypothetically plug him in for Powe, Powe already plays 13 mins, then you have Betts and Lappy playing 13 each on the 4th line and Gagne playing 18 when his play doesn't warrant it tbh, we could find him plenty of time.

Also, I watch a good deal of SJ games since they're on later and he really has been a monster, I'm always noticing No.27.

Based on his play this year, I easily would have given him 1.5-2 mill which would have been pretty easy if we had stashed Jones in the AHL.
I would have kept Knuble is Jones had been stashed in time
This is also caused by Stevens, who stated that he was starting Giroux at C to start the year, so Paul got a 4th line C instead. Sucks that Jones and STevens caused so many problems for us

Old
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Champ Anderson*

Quote:
Well, the post you responded to...was about bringing Thor in.

Giroux at center is a mess...it's a matchup problem, and we're doing all sorts of goofy crap in the top 6 (I'm sorry, Powe is not and never will be a good option in the top 6). However, it makes a certain amount of sense because Holmgren didn't do anything about getting a third line center...which was a glaring need last offseason.
my question to you had nothing to do with thor. you were saying the flyers dont have a real 3rd line (which I dont disagree with). I asked you what you thought the flyers 3rd line should be right now, with the players they have.

another question for you... giroux is obviously more productive playing at center. yes, he is undersized, but staal's line was matched up against giroux a lot in the playoffs last year, and his line was one of the few bright spots. doesnt having a guy like asham on his line make the size issue not as big a deal?

Champ Anderson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
my question to you had nothing to do with thor. you were saying the flyers dont have a real 3rd line (which I dont disagree with). I asked you what you thought the flyers 3rd line should be right now, with the players they have.

another question for you... giroux is obviously more productive playing at center. yes, he is undersized, but staal's line was matched up against giroux a lot in the playoffs last year, and his line was one of the few bright spots. doesnt having a guy like asham on his line make the size issue not as big a deal?
No, because Asham isn't covering the center's defensive responsibilities.

I also question Giroux's productivity difference...if Gagne wasn't chest sniping everything right now, Giroux would have been picking up a point a game just feeding him when that line was together. I've pointed this out to others...Giroux carries the puck less when he's playing the wing, and he's also on the ice with stronger linemates...so its less of the "Giroux show." Stick him with Asham and JVR, and Giroux is going to be significantly more noticeable.

As to what our third line should be right now? I would go with JVR-Powe-Asham and largely give even minutes between the 3rd and 4th line...Holmgren not bringing in a real third line center has been a problem all year long.

Old
01-31-2010, 10:27 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Based on what, his complete inability to pot goals at the NHL level? I'm glad he's having success in Europe, but we are pretty set on bottom 6 wingers at the moment.

Powe, Carcillo, Asham, and Laperrierre are all better players than Thoresen for our needs.
I would like to have him back, but I really like our bottom six and think we should re-sign Carcillo, Powe, Betts, and maybe Asham but I kind of want us to bring up someone from the AHL (however I like him a lot, he's a good player, and I feel bad about suggesting that we should let him go).

edit: I'm sure Thoresen could make more money in the KHL, and he could also probably find a team in the NHL there is less of a logjam if we manage to keep our depth.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:39 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
No, because Asham isn't covering the center's defensive responsibilities.

I also question Giroux's productivity difference...if Gagne wasn't chest sniping everything right now, Giroux would have been picking up a point a game just feeding him when that line was together. I've pointed this out to others...Giroux carries the puck less when he's playing the wing, and he's also on the ice with stronger linemates...so its less of the "Giroux show." Stick him with Asham and JVR, and Giroux is going to be significantly more noticeable.

As to what our third line should be right now? I would go with JVR-Powe-Asham and largely give even minutes between the 3rd and 4th line...Holmgren not bringing in a real third line center has been a problem all year long.
So JVR and Asham can snipe while Gagne and Richards cant? I disagree. Its is his comfortableness which is different. You can see it in his body actions, and even when you talk to him he mentions that he will play anywhere, but he enjoys center. The difference is space. He has a much larger radius to control the play (which Giroux needs to do inorder to strive.)

A Gagne-Richards-Giroux line has not worked all year long. I think it would be foolish to go back to that. And as I mentioned before Carter and Giroux play the exact same style in controlling the play. They wouldnt work too well together, thats why I tihnk Lavi has never tried them.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
the only reason I am even meh on this is because the Flyers didnt give up anything for him.
I mean he wasnt good enough to play in Tampa's top 6 for God sakes on a reasonable cap hit.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
the only reason I am even meh on this is because the Flyers didnt give up anything for him.
I mean he wasnt good enough to play in Tampa's top 6 for God sakes on a reasonable cap hit.
Well, there are always players that fall out of favor for teams. Some hit the waiver wires, a team picks them up, and then they all of a sudden are good. An example is Leighton. When he came here, I was making fun of him. Then we went 8-1-1 and doing pretty well.

Do I think it will happen to Krajicek? Meh, its up in the air. Theres always a "change of scenery" chance though.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote