HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How often do you have your skates sharpened?

Old
01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
As the edges wear down the hollow changes, after certain amount of time the hollow will no longer be the hollow you started out with, i didnt mean to imply that if you get a 3/8 eventually it will be an exact 1/2. I was meaning the feel. I didnt mean that the edge stays sharp and the hollow changes. If i go long enough without a sharpening it feels like im on 1" cuts. I can still stop/turn/skate the same as if i got an 1" cut in the first place even though the edge rounded off and not sharp.

I can see how i didnt explain that properly, i didnt mean the edges stay sharp but the hollow changes.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:42 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I sometimes get a 1/2, just so I can skate on it a real long time. I normally prefer a 9/16th or 5/8th, so I hate the 1/2 at first, but I don't have to get it sharpened for 8-12 games because I enjoy it when it dull a bits.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:56 AM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Yeah that's it!!!

But someone said they'll screw up your edges if you use them too much???

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 01:28 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Yeah that's it!!!

But someone said they'll screw up your edges if you use them too much???
Yes it will. Anything that has that v shape and cuts in will. And it won't help sharpenings- When you bring them in, the guy sharpening will have to take off more of the blade to get a proper edge, and that will make your blade last much less longer.

If you're going to get anything, get the skatemate. It carves from the inside like a real sharpening does, and stays in the channel and removes material evenly. With a pro filer or sweet stick, material is removed unevenly from the two sides of the blade, meaning your edge isn't consistent, and may be higher on one side and may be sharper on one side. The skatemate also won't shorten your blade life, again because it takes material out from the inside.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
WDR357

Usually every four skates or so. That's typically three stick practices and a game so about five plus hours of actual ice time. If I know I'll be at a rink with lousy/soft ice I want them sharpened just before.

To GoBucky, as you get better at skating and use your edges more often, you'll notice the difference between a sharp edge and a dull edge.

I use an one inch hollow.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR357 View Post

Not too many guys on those anymore, even goalies.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR357 View Post

I use a 3/4" hollow ... I could use a one inch I guess but prefer what I am using now.

One inch is pretty damned shallow!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Yes it will. Anything that has that v shape and cuts in will. And it won't help sharpenings- When you bring them in, the guy sharpening will have to take off more of the blade to get a proper edge, and that will make your blade last much less longer.

If you're going to get anything, get the skatemate. It carves from the inside like a real sharpening does, and stays in the channel and removes material evenly. With a pro filer or sweet stick, material is removed unevenly from the two sides of the blade, meaning your edge isn't consistent, and may be higher on one side and may be sharper on one side. The skatemate also won't shorten your blade life, again because it takes material out from the inside.
I've used a pro-Filer for about 15+ years now and swear by them and this Skate mate you mentioned is the first time I have heard of it.

I went to their website and snooped on the FAQ page and downloaded their PDF for the owner's manual and FAQ page PDF.

I bookmarked their page because i know this will be an excellent product for me considering it adjusts to the hollow and I use a 3/4" hollow. It also can be adjusted to fit tightly enough where there is no play side to side so it give a centered grind perfectly.

Thanks for posting this, with the Pro-Filer I have to do equal passes on one side and then the other to prevent an uneven grind. I have learned how simply by using it for years.

I have not been using it much lately since I switched to a 3/4" hollow since it simply does not accomodate that hollow size. I can still use it just not as much and only for an emergency sharpening because I did not have time to get to my regular guy to sharpen them before a game.

In any case thanks for the mention. http://www.skatemate.com

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote