HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Amerks/Mighty Ducks review - Jan 12

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2005, 10:56 PM
eSabre

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Amerks/Mighty Ducks review - Jan 12

Compliments of CCM, I made the trip to the BCA for tonight's game. Amerks won, 1-0.

Here are a few thoughts.

- Dan Paille is improving faster than I would have imagined. He was invisible in the 1st game I saw in November at the Arena, showed a little in the December game at the Arena, and tonight he was all over the ice. Winning loose pucks, racing up and down the ice. This kid is gonna have a spot locked down on the checking line in 2 years, I guarantee it.

- Ryan Miller was outstanding tonight. He's been on fire. Was rarely out of position, and made every shot look like a routine save. If he keeps it up, he might be seeing the ice in Buffalo instead of Rochester.

- Jeff Jillson played one of the best games I've seen him play since he joined the organization. Scored the only goal, was on defense in all key situations, never faultered. Tonight's performance was an example of the reason I got excited when we acquired him. It won't be long until he's a top 4 defenseman.

- Derek Roy has been quite lackluster in every game I've seen this season. Tonight he was unbelievably average. I expected him to tear up the AHL this year, and he hasn't done that.

- Jiri Novotny is, well, I don't know what he is. Sometimes it seems he has the skills to just dominate a game, and other times you're wondering if he has any clue. Someone figure this guy out!

- Thomas Vanek was disappointing tonight. Made a couple nice plays, but other than that was not a threat at all. He had a nice little breakaway in the first, but decided to slow up and pass the puck for whatever reason. Weak.

- Paul Gaustad, Milan Bartovic, and Jason Pominville all played very well.

Old
01-12-2005, 11:20 PM
sabrefan27

Jillson played well?? I thought he was his usual horrible self. I caught him out of position badly several times, and almost cost us the lead in the 3rd. He has been incredibly bad all year. Shows glimpses of why he has seen the NHL so much, but then goes back to a liability. I never feel safe with him out there.

Roy was bad, again. Turned the puck over quite a few times on the powerplay as I mentioned in another thread. He's just not into it. He better soon, because the team is counting on him to carry the offensive load.

Whatever was going on in Vanek's head during that breakaway is beyond me. Clear breakaway and he passes the puck backwards?

Overall, the team continues to baffle me. They rarely ever look like a first place team, have trouble converting on their chances and just look inept offensively on a game by game basis. How they are winning at a .700 win percentage has me scratching my head. They can never put a team away and seem to be contempt with always playing a close game. I have yet to figure out if this is a good thing for the playoffs or a bad thing. Right now, I think the Amerks are setting their fans up for a huge playoff dissapointment. Fantastic record, high seed, and I think they will falter during the playoffs. I just don't think they have the offense to score enough goals in the much more defensive playoffs.

Old
01-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
Whatever was going on in Vanek's head during that breakaway is beyond me. Clear breakaway and he passes the puck backwards?
Uh oh. Sounds like Lindy's gotten to him already.

Old
01-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Jillson, other than his goal, did look pretty weak. But then again, he always looks weak on the ice. There may have been a slight improvement because that won't take a whole lot.

I agree on Miller. The man single handedly won the game with a brilliant performance. The offense didn't get it done...plain and simple.

Splitting up the Barto, Gaustad, Thorburn line, IMO, was stupid. And what's with trying to get Novotny better linemates at the expense of making Gaustad, who has played really well, saddle up with McMorrow on his wing? Simply awful.

Overall, it was a pretty boring game, and my seats were four rows off the glass so I couldn't see any plays development. Hey, they were free, but the angle was horrific.

Old
01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
Jillson, other than his goal, did look pretty weak. But then again, he always looks weak on the ice. There may have been a slight improvement because that won't take a whole lot.

I agree on Miller. The man single handedly won the game with a brilliant performance. The offense didn't get it done...plain and simple.

Splitting up the Barto, Gaustad, Thorburn line, IMO, was stupid. And what's with trying to get Novotny better linemates at the expense of making Gaustad, who has played really well, saddle up with McMorrow on his wing? Simply awful.

Overall, it was a pretty boring game, and my seats were four rows off the glass so I couldn't see any plays development. Hey, they were free, but the angle was horrific.
Novotny will be shoved down our throats until the Sabres get there 3 year contract out of him. His ice time isn't earned, he gets it because he was a first rounder. Why else would a guy with about 5 goals in 3 years get consistent powerplay time for 2 whole years? They are going to give him every oppertunity to succeed, whether it makes sense or not. Clearly, he's going nowhere. I hope to God he picks up his stuff and leaves like Kristek did.

Closed Thread