HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR and CGY to announce: Olli Jokinen, Brandon Prust for Ales Kotalik, Chris Higgins

Old
02-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Id take Higgins back in the offseason .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
What in the world is Calgary doing?? You could swear they are trying to tank, yet they're 8th in the West
Me either I try to understand. Other then try to shake things up, they purify the ambiance in the locker room. Will see with Higgins and the Calgary girls!

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:20 AM
GNick42

Habs should have picked up Jokinen. Playing in Florida under Jacques Martin Jokinen was one of premier players in league. Between 35-40 goals and 90 points a year. Since he went out west he has done nothing.

Try to reunite with coach who got most out of him, something like Burke is doing but Giguere back with Allaire. For what Jokinen was traded for certainly worth the gamble at very least.

Last edited by GNick42: 02-01-2010 at 03:33 AM.
GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:33 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20 View Post
Bob gaineys reaction : Zzzzzz Zzzz Zzzzzz
my thoughts too... Higgins is available and he didnt even bother calling Sather... LOSER!!!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:36 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyukhin View Post
Id take Higgins back in the offseason .
Oh really? You would?

I know I wouldn't. Let this guy ruin his career somewhere else. Because after this season, you've got to come to one conclusion: the guy sure ain't taking things seriously.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:36 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Me either I try to understand. Other then try to shake things up, they purify the ambiance in the locker room. Will see with Higgins and the Calgary girls!
Hard to say... tanking but not getting picks for their players ? trading a young D (Phaneuf) for "spare parts" ?

they're not getting much for their players IMO so it's definitely not to help them this season... but they're not getting 1st or 2nd round picks either, if's it's rebuilding, it's a weird one so to speak...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Komarov47

Seriously i'm really afraid about Higgins carreer right now, he's not even sure to have a full time job with the Flames.

Hagman-Stajan-Iginla
Bourque-Langkow-Kotalik
Dawes-Conroy-Moss
Glencross-Boyd-Mayers

With who Higgins gonna play? Right now all this guys on the flames line-up have better stats than him... Sad, back 3 years ago everyone thought he would be the next habs captain...

Last edited by Komarov47: 02-01-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:02 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Habs should have picked up Jokinen. Playing in Florida under Jacques Martin Jokinen was one of premier players in league. Between 35-40 goals and 90 points a year. Since he went out west he has done nothing.

Try to reunite with coach who got most out of him, something like Burke is doing but Giguere back with Allaire. For what Jokinen was traded for certainly worth the gamble at very least.
Actually, Martin and Jokinen didn't get along at all. In fact, they had extreme dislike for one another. Olli admittedly quit on the Panthers after the deadline his last season there because out former owner (foolishly) stepped in and wouldn't allow Martin to trade Jokinen. Olli saw it as an opportunity to get JM ousted if the team missed the playoffs yet again, so he quit playing. Obviously coasted and didn't shoot the puck on net very well. That led to Cohen allowing JM to trade Olli.

Players from the Panthers have said both publicly and to fans at events that they were happy that Olli was moved. He'd become a distraction in the lockerroom along with being one on the ice. Belak said there were obvious clicks in the room.

Jokinen played his best hockey under Keenan while with the Panthers, not under JM. Olli responded to Keenan and has since reverted back to his pre-Keenan days. That Olli didn't do overly well under Keenan this last time around is telling. His production is dropping like a rock and he's about to be on his fourth team in less than 2 years.

One Panthers poster has said that he believes OJ will be out of the NHL and playing overseas either in the off-season, or the following. I think he's right.

02-01-2010, 04:13 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Actually, Martin and Jokinen didn't get along at all. In fact, they had extreme dislike for one another. Olli admittedly quit on the Panthers after the deadline his last season there because out former owner (foolishly) stepped in and wouldn't allow Martin to trade Jokinen. Olli saw it as an opportunity to get JM ousted if the team missed the playoffs yet again, so he quit playing. Obviously coasted and didn't shoot the puck on net very well. That led to Cohen allowing JM to trade Olli.

Players from the Panthers have said both publicly and to fans at events that they were happy that Olli was moved. He'd become a distraction in the lockerroom along with being one on the ice. Belak said there were obvious clicks in the room.

Jokinen played his best hockey under Keenan while with the Panthers, not under JM. Olli responded to Keenan and has since reverted back to his pre-Keenan days. That Olli didn't do overly well under Keenan this last time around is telling. His production is dropping like a rock and he's about to be on his fourth team in less than 2 years.

One Panthers poster has said that he believes OJ will be out of the NHL and playing overseas either in the off-season, or the following. I think he's right.
thanks Laus,maybe the GNick should hope we hire Iron Mike

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:21 AM
GNick42

Quote:

Forgot about that. But Martin was coach not Iron Mike. Who was GM? But still the attitude we don't want

Old
02-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Forgot about that. But Martin was coach not Iron Mike. Who was GM? But still the attitude we don't want
Keenan was the coach here for a few years and lit the fire under Jokinen, then Dudley fired Keenan. That off-season, our former butthead owner canned Keenan and brought him in as GM, who hired Martin. Keenan was out after the Luongo fiasco.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:05 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
By the way on the trade board people are saying it's Jokinen and Prust for Higgins and Kotalik. Not that it makes a big difference but yeah.

I don't understand why Sutter is trading guys when their value is at its worst. I know he has to make a change but geez..
Prust is a tough player who works hard and is a tenacious forechecker. He covered Sid in the 05 Mem Cup. A role player but he will bring some heart to the Rags

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:06 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Keenan was the coach here for a few years and lit the fire under Jokinen, then Dudley fired Keenan. That off-season, our former butthead owner canned Keenan and brought him in as GM, who hired Martin. Keenan was out after the Luongo fiasco.
What did you think of Martin tenure as GM?

Old
02-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Higgins never came close to 40G and has regressed over the past couple seasons. How exactly do you see him as a 40G scorer exactly??..
Since the Lockout, the most 40G scorers in a season was 11. Some of them have moved on or retired, others have blossomed. Some were one hit wonders (Cheechoo, Blake). Some of them accomplish that exploit more than once over the past 5years (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Heatley..)

I don't see Higgins joining that club. He is not a 40G scorer, never showed it before and certainly hasn't done it these past 2 seasons.

Don't really understand CGY here..they seem like sellers or they're creating room.
I don't think Higgins is a 40 goal scorer, but with his head screwed on straight and good linemates he can score 30. I thought going to NYR would be a wakeup call but I guess it wasn't. I doubt his physical skills eroded from 24 to 26 so it's gotta be something else ~cough~off ice habits ~cough~.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
His behaviour makes it look like his ass is on the line.

That is precisely why I'm scared of Bob Gainey right now. Who knows what he could do in an attempt to save his own ass...
He won't do anything,don't worry just expect the same speech at the end of deadline day

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:28 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Why would Gainey care about any of those players is anyone's guess. I'm ******* sick of everyone saying Bob sleeps whenever a trade happens in the NHL.
Exactly...people are so ****ing stupid about this stuff. Gainey was likely not even aware of the trade. Poor Chris, goes from the Habs to the Rangers which is much closer to home and now all the way out west. I wonder how his career is going to continue. Maybe he will click with someone in Calgary....never know.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

YAWN....how far has Chris Higgins fallen?

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Schooner Guy

Calgary is cleaning up the dressing room. Although I'm not sure that Kotalik and Higgins are exactly your consummate professionals. I'm guessing Phaneuf and Jokinen must have been absolute nightmares for Brent Sutter.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
walsy37

How the hell are the Rags so far under the cap that they can bring in a 5M+ player like OJ? They pay 7 to Gaborik, 5+ to Lundquivst, 6+ to Redden, 6+ to Drury.

Somehow - each year, the Rags seem to make a huge signing or 2, and stay under the cap. (this is is my consolation for next year when the Habs will have cap "problems." It appears that teams have learned how to work their way around the limits.)

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:50 AM
CarrePrisme

Not saying I know better than the next guy, but I really don't understand why Calgary would let go of Jokinen when they just added a bit of depth up front for a couple of thrid liners like Higgins and Kotalik.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
How the hell are the Rags so far under the cap that they can bring in a 5M+ player like OJ? They pay 7 to Gaborik, 5+ to Lundquivst, 6+ to Redden, 6+ to Drury.

Somehow - each year, the Rags seem to make a huge signing or 2, and stay under the cap. (this is is my consolation for next year when the Habs will have cap "problems." It appears that teams have learned how to work their way around the limits.)
It's pretty easy since the major contracts involved are all expiring at the end of the year, and the salaries balance out.

Higgins (2.25M)
Kotalik (3M)

v

Jokinen (5.25M)
Prust (500k)

So the Rangers are covering Jokinen's salary by moving out Higgins and Kotalik, they are only really adding the 500k salary of Brandon Prust.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
A Zen Master

Phaneuf, Sjostrom for White, Hagman and UFAs
Jokinen (UFA) and Prust (UFA) for Kotalik and UFAs

If Jokinen doesnt resign anyways (which is maybe likely? who knows)
after UFAs it turns long term into:

Phaneuf and Sjostrom for White, Hagman and Kotalik.

is that good long term?

A Zen Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:08 AM
ScottFC

Quote:

Too many fans around here stress about the salarie cap but the truth is that a good GM will find his ways to add a Player or 2 to the team by finding either loop holes in the salary cap system or moving/buying out players of less importance.

Just look at Toronto, they'll probably send Jeff Finger down to the minors and it's not a problem for them because they have the money to burn. His Salary of 3.5 Million is off the Cap and if he's claimed off waivers then well who really cares?

I love Bob Gainey, it scares me to think of who would take his place if he ever steps down as GM of the Montreal Canadiens but 1 thing I dislike about Gainey is his innability to work Contracts that will favor the Habs better. For godsakes will he ever sign someone to a front loaded contract!!

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

They are like Calgary, 75% of their cap is paid to 1/4 of the roster...

Gaborik 7.5 mil
Drury 7.05 mil
Jokinen 5.25 mil

Redden 6.5 mil
Rozival 5 mil

Lundquist 6.9 mil

38.2 mil on 6 players(69%)

Thta's a pretty mediocre core of players and would leave 18 mil to fill out 17-18 roster spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
Not saying I know better than the next guy, but I really don't understand why Calgary would let go of Jokinen when they just added a bit of depth up front for a couple of thrid liners like Higgins and Kotalik.

Jokinen is known to not be very coachable, he wore out his welcome in Florida, phoenix and now in Calgary. He wasn't a great fit with Iginla because he is more a shooter than playmaker so who knows if it will click with Gaborik.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-01-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Merge
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post

That's because Olli Jokinen is a coach killer. He always has been and always will be. Getting rid of him is addition by subtraction. They made a big mistake in trading for him because it meant the end of Cammalleri in Calgary.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote