HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers-Flames Trade Part 2 (Deal Still on Hold)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Ok my source up in Buffalo has told me that Kovy is gone to the Flames and Kotalik is heading down to Atlanta. That was the hold up. Boyd is included in the deal with a 2011 first?

He hasn't been wrong yet.
Highly doubt thats the hold up. All of the sudden kovalchuk is in the mix? And atlanta wants Kotalik as part of a return for him? Yeah I dont think so.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Ok my source up in Buffalo has told me that Kovy is gone to the Flames and Kotalik is heading down to Atlanta. That was the hold up. Boyd is included in the deal with a 2011 first?

Calgary's Fan station already had that Atlanta rumor over an hour ago.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:

a 2011 first? Rangers could gladly put together a better package than that for Kovalchuk

Old
02-01-2010, 12:34 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
He actually lives in Rochester but works out of Buffalo. ;-)
Damn.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Highly doubt thats the hold up. All of the sudden kovalchuk is in the mix? And atlanta wants Kotalik as part of a return for him? Yeah I dont think so.
WE can only wait and find out.

Old
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah the trade rumors forum has a thread on it, and it's being laughed at.

I can't see that as the package, but really, who knows?

WhipNash27
Quattro!!

From Eklund
Quote:
However you slice it Sather and Sutter have screwed something up here and four players are in total limbo. The hold up in this deal may be Kotalik not wanting to waive his NTC. What I was told was that there is still another piece Sutter wants out of this. Something he thought he had. There were rumors the piece was Gilroy. It isn't. ESPN has written it is Callahan. I haven't been able to get confirmation or denial on this, but I would believe it. The deal as reported is far too one sided to the Rangers.

I can speculate that Callahan is taking Kotalik's place and Calgary is adjusting the deal a little.

I can't believe Jokinen would play tonight. Too risky. And also given Jokinen's psyche...not optimal at all.

I can believe Sutter would want Sather to know he is willing to walk away and would say Jokinen is playing. If this falls apart, Jokinen is not long for Calgary. That is certain.

I am working on the reaction to these dominos as I call around right now. I am hearing Montreal and Boston have close deals and they may have been affected by the Jokinen deal. So there is a hold up.
I would cry if they included Callahan.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
It was cracked by the Fan690 first.

Old
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
It makes sense. Atlanta has to try and replace Kovy's bomb from the point. Kotalik has that bomb, even though it's not nearly as effective.

Old
ranger_nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
a 2011 first? Rangers could gladly put together a better package than that for Kovalchuk
I don't think atlanta want to trade kovy to a team they are tied with in the standings.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
It was cracked by the Fan690 first.
So it's not your buddy's rumor. It's the Fan's rumor. Your buddy just reporting what they are saying.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
From Eklund

Yeah right! We're giving up our second leading scorer for Jokinen. BS!!!

Old
02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
So it's not your buddy's rumor. It's the Fan's rumor. Your buddy just reporting what they are saying.
I think if your as smart as you say you, you'll figure out who my "buddy" is.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Ross Rhea
Nathan Flomm

There's no way Kotalik waive's his NMC. Why would he? There are three places he doesn't want to play. If Calgary's on that list, I'd bet that Edmonton and possibly Vancouver are also. He knows that he doesn't have to choose between playing in Western Canada and sitting in New York for three years. Because he still has some value, he can wait for the Rangers to get another offer from a team he wouldn't mind playing for, even if it happens over the summer. Personally, I don't mind Kotalik. The fact that he's being paid Zherdev's money bothers me, just like giving Naslund Jagr's money bothered me. The bigger problem I have is with Tortarella. The firing of Renney is up there with the Redden contract.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Levitate

Eklund is a moron. It's been proven the ESPN thing was a misquote of the TSN article. And the entire point of the Rangers trading for Jokinen is to dump Kotalik's salary.

People don't realize how bad Jokinen has been this year. Calgary isn't going to get any kind of good return for him, it's not "so lopsided" when it comes to player personnel. The only downside to this for the Flames is that Kotalik's contract goes another 2 years

Old
haveandare

I could be wrong, but aren't there many, many teams who could give ATL a far better deal for Kovalchuk? Higgins, white and a first? Really?

Old
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
From Eklund

If callahan wouldn't be included in a deal for someone like Heatley or Mueller, why the hell would our alternate captain be included in a deal for a underacheiving soon to be UFA?

Old
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbysellers View Post
There's no way Kotalik waive's his NMC. Why would he? There are three places he doesn't want to play. If Calgary's on that list, I'd bet that Edmonton and possibly Vancouver are also. He knows that he doesn't have to choose between playing in Western Canada and sitting in New York for three years. Because he still has some value, he can wait for the Rangers to get another offer from a team he wouldn't mind playing for, even if it happens over the summer. Personally, I don't mind Kotalik. The fact that he's being paid Zherdev's money bothers me, just like giving Naslund Jagr's money bothered me. The bigger problem I have is with Tortarella. The firing of Renney is up there with the Redden contract.
What value does Kotalik have? He's good at giving the other team shorthanded chances, thats about it. He's been a regular scratch on this team, which really says something considering the lack of depth here. He is worthless. If anything, he's a financial burden and has negative value.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I could be wrong, but aren't there many, many teams who could give ATL a far better deal for Kovalchuk? Higgins, white and a first? Really?
I think there's been some speculation that things are cooling off in regards to Kovalchuk and teams may not be offering much. Could just be baseless though

Old
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
If callahan wouldn't be included in a deal for someone like Heatley or Mueller, why the hell would our alternate captain be included in a deal for a underacheiving soon to be UFA?
I don't think it's happening, but I think you can make the simple argument that Sather is desperate now but wasn't in the summer. He thought he'd addressed scoring woes and improved the team with his signings and trades. Now he's on the outside of the playoff picture looking in, and his "fixes" have been anything but.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a GM traded a previously held-back player simply because that GM was under the gun.

Personally I'd be quite unhappy if Callahan went for Jokinen, but it would certainly make things interesting around here. The spin put on such a move by Sather's few supporters would be fascinating indeed.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If Ryan Callahan is traded to land Olli Jokinen...I'm going to lose it, people.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Youre not wrong.

Its ridiculous to think that this whole thing is on hold because Atlanta wants a piece from the Rangers via Calgary.

If anything, Calgary is holding up the deal to talk with Atlanta exclusively in regards to Kovalchuk. The thought that Atlanta is waiting on some piece from the Rangers is extraordinarily far-fetched, even for this board.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Ross Rhea
Nathan Flomm

Quote:
That would be a somewhat decent return for Kovalchuck. At this point every GM knows that Atlanta can't keep him. This situation mirrors the Roy Halladay and Johan Santana trades. The team Kovy is going to still has to pay him. That, and the fact that Atlanta is supposedly stopping Kovy's agent from negotiating with other teams isn't helping Wadell. I'm not saying Higgins, White, and first would or should get this done, in large part because Higgins is a glorified third liner. I would think that yes, Calgary would need to include a better player then Higgins. That being said, it might get it done.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:56 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Me too.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
"Sometimes you have to be a lion."

Closed Thread