HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf, Giguere traded to Leafs, part of two separate trades

Old
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM

vCash: 500
So the Leafs trade away almost all their role guys for an over-rated and over-paid defenseman and an over-the-hill goalie? They now have only 5/6 players of any value at all with no draft picks and very few prospects.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Scott Burnside wrote a 1100 word article about this deal without mentioning the words 'salary cap' once. Do people still think this guy has an ounce of intelligence?
after that POS wrote that article on the Richards hit on Booth and showed a pic of Booth laying on the ice like that, I lost all respect for that clown anyway. He is a hack pure and simple.
Give me Bucchi any day over that clown.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I thought it was pretty funny, but living up there must be torture when the Leafs are even half-decent.
It's torture when the Leafs suck. If it looks as though they have a hope in hell (see 2009-2010 preseason), it gets worse.

With some Leafs fans, Phaneuf went from being an overpaid pylon to the greatest defenseman who ever lived; Ian White went from being one of the best in the league to a player who would never live up to his potential - all in a couple of minutes.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
It's torture when the Leafs suck. If it looks as though they have a hope in hell (see 2009-2010 preseason), it gets worse.

With some Leafs fans, Phaneuf went from being an overpaid pylon to the greatest defenseman who ever lived; Ian White went from being one of the best in the league to a player who would never live up to his potential - all in a couple of minutes.
Sometimes I forget what you and Opus have to put up with in Canada...then I remember that I've lost friendships with people based on their opinion that hockey is an inferior sport to basketball.

The grass is always greener?

Quote:
I dunno, maybe I've forgotten how bad TOR is since they haven't been good, but I was just in shock listening to this.

They had this old guy on who was talking about how Phaneuf should already have at least one Norris Trophy and how there were sure to be Norris Trophies (at least 3 apparently) in his future.

I thought it was pretty funny, but living up there must be torture when the Leafs are even half-decent.
Honestly, I wouldn't go counting Phaneuf out of the race for elite defenseman just yet. Granted, I'm not so confident he will ever win a Norris. Still, I think he's going to eventually find his game.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

the Ducks just put Nick Boynton on waivers.

Old
02-01-2010, 01:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
the Ducks just put Nick Boynton on waivers.
do not want

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:28 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Sometimes I forget what you and Opus have to put up with in Canada...then I remember that I've lost friendships with people based on their opinion that hockey is an inferior sport to basketball.

You could be right. It isn't difficult to ignore the Leafs stuff most of the time (don't listen to sports radio, don't watch Sportsnet/TSN/Score/Any other news show, don't read the papers... lol), but days like yesterday and today are a bit of a challenge. It's a little easier to take when the Leafs haven't been relevant for a number of years.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:36 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

...sounds like some epic battles.

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't go counting Phaneuf out of the race for elite defenseman just yet. Granted, I'm not so confident he will ever win a Norris. Still, I think he's going to eventually find his game.
Eh, he's a guy that consistently hasn't shown the desire to elevate his defensive zone play. Sure some guys develop it later in their careers, but some guys don't.

He kind of reminds me of a slightly more-talented Ed Jovanovski, a guy who should have been a lot better than he ended up and is barely mentioned nowadays.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
do not want
me neither.
Hes a NA version of OKT

Old
02-01-2010, 01:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

dont think he will ever be a elite defenseman. Yeah maybe he will rack up some more points in the East, but defensively nothing has changed nor will change. He just isnt that good defensively.

Old
02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
He kind of reminds me of a slightly more-talented Ed Jovanovski, a guy who should have been a lot better than he ended up and is barely mentioned nowadays.
Or perhaps a Joni Pitkanen with a little more umph in his stride?

Quote:
dont think he will ever be a elite defenseman. Yeah maybe he will rack up some more points in the East, but defensively nothing has changed nor will change. He just isnt that good defensively.
I went to school in DC for four years where Mike Green is worshiped as a deity by various people who were sick of the Redskins sucking, gave up on basketball long ago, and refused to try the Nationals.

Phaneuf in the East will get his points and because of which, will possibly get some static over the airwaves considering him for a Norris though we know deep down inside that he didn't play a lick of defense. Well, that is of course unless he figures out how to be responsible in his own zone.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
me neither.
Hes a NA version of OKT
He somehow was an all-star once

Old
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer
Try being a Flyers fan in Montreal!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Or perhaps a Joni Pitkanen with a little more umph in his stride?

I went to school in DC for four years where Mike Green is worshiped as a deity by various people who were sick of the Redskins sucking, gave up on basketball long ago, and refused to try the Nationals.

Phaneuf in the East will get his points and because of which, will possibly get some static over the airwaves considering him for a Norris though we know deep down inside that he didn't play a lick of defense. Well, that is of course unless he figures out how to be responsible in his own zone.
Oh he will get mention for it. Because of where he plays. He now plays for the team that can do no wrong. ******* I feel bad for non leaf fans having to listen to Pierre McGuirre now gush over Phaneuf. Its going to be even more sickening.

Quote:
He somehow was an all-star once

blind squirrell finds a nut every now and then. Probably from one of those bad Bruins teams years ago where they had to take someone

Old
02-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Morinisbear

Being a Flyers fan is Philly is almost as bad as anything. The Flyers could be in the midst of a 40 game winning streak and the people around here will still talk Eagles or Phils instead. I'm not sure what it is around here, but it doesnt matter how exciting the team is.....people just don't care about Hockey or the Flyers any more.

Personally, I'd rather be in Toronto fighting with Maple Leaf fans all day long. Atleast I would get to talk hockey! (may be exagerating a bit )

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
blind squirrell finds a nut every now and then. Probably from one of those bad Bruins teams years ago where they had to take someone
Petr Buzek was once an NHL All-Star, as was Sergei Krivokrasov.

The year Boynton made it was with the Bruins, however this was 2004 (they were the 2 seed) and he was there with Joe Thornton and Glen Murray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post
Being a Flyers fan is Philly is almost as bad as anything. The Flyers could be in the midst of a 40 game winning streak and the people around here will still talk Eagles or Phils instead. I'm not sure what it is around here, but it doesnt matter how exciting the team is.....people just don't care about Hockey or the Flyers any more.

Personally, I'd rather be in Toronto fighting with Maple Leaf fans all day long. Atleast I would get to talk hockey! (may be exagerating a bit )
"#1 Hockey Town in America" or whatever they called it

Old
02-01-2010, 02:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Petr Buzek was once an NHL All-Star, as was Sergei Krivokrasov.

The year Boynton made it was with the Bruins, however this was 2004 (they were the 2 seed) and he was there with Joe Thornton and Glen Murray.
oh wow. Musta been all those PP points playing with Thornton and Murray

Old
02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

then you have the NBA and the Sixers where Allen Iverson got voted in as a starter for the East in the All-Star game

FAIL

Old
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Kaktus*

Maybe I am by my self but I honestly do not have any problems if Flyers had Kaberle, Komisarek, Beauchemin, Schenn, Phaneuf, Exelby with Jean-Sebastien Giguere in the net.

Thatís a good start.

Maybe Phaneuf is not the best all around d-men but I think he is very similar to Jovo. Ainít so bad.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Morinisbear

Quote:
then you have the NBA and the Sixers where Allen Iverson got voted in as a starter for the East in the All-Star game

FAIL
Don't even get me started on that. Haha.

Anyway, since the topic is the Phaneuf trade I'll try to stay on point. Why in the world do so many people think Toronto could have possibly won this trade? I think one of the polls had over 50% voting towards a Toronto win??? Besides the fact that you have to let it settle in, I think that they gave up on awful lot. I see why Homer backed away from this one. Ian White is a SOLID defenseman (plus he should fit in nicely), Hagman has first line potential (probably more of a second liner though), Stajan is decent, and Mayers is a good role player. I don't see how Toronto could have WON this trade?
* I guess this leads me back to our other conversation....maybe it would be tough to live in Toronto right now....it would be very hard to ignore.
This trade COULD work out for both teams, but if anyone would have won the trade, I would have to say Calgary did, easy.

Last edited by Morinisbear: 02-01-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old
02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Morinisbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Maybe I am by my self but I honestly do not have any problems if Flyers had Kaberle, Komisarek, Beauchemin, Schenn, Phaneuf, Exelby with Jean-Sebastien Giguere in the net.

Thatís a good start.

Maybe Phaneuf is not the best all around d-men but I think he is very similar to Jovo. Ainít so bad.
I agree, but the only problem is...they lost a lot of their little scoring that they did have....unless something else is coming.

Old
02-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Morinisbear

On the Giguere side. Amazing job of unloading Blake and Toskala. Picking up Giggy's salary could hurt a bit, but if he plays like he did a few years back (also mentors the Monster) this could work out to be a great move! I guess Anaheim wanted to get rid of his salary for the most part...

Old
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I kinda hate the job Holmgren has been doing as GM. However, thank bejeezus we dont have Burke or Sutter. At least Homer stayed calm and didnt panic.
Yes. Holmgren learned his lesson. Maybe.

Old
02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I agree, but the only problem is...they lost a lot of their little scoring that they did have....unless something else is coming.
They still have their prospects with exception of 2 1st round picks. They still planning to move Poni and maybe others.

I did not expect Leafs to make playoffs this year but I also did not expect Leafs to get those type of players in such a short period of time. Burke did not just spent, he invested. There is a difference. Gainey and Sather just went out and spent.

imo It is much easier to fix forwards then d-nce or goaltending.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Don't even get me started on that. Haha.

Anyway, since the topic is the Phaneuf trade I'll try to be stay on point. Why in the world do so many people think Toronto could have possibly won this trade? I think one of the polls had over 50% voting towards a Toronto win??? Besides the fact that you have to let it settle in, I think that they gave up on awful lot. I see why Homer backed away from this one. Ian White is a SOLID defenseman (plus he should fit in nicely), Hagman has first line potential (probably more of a second liner though), Stajan is decent, and Mayers is a good role player. I don't see how Toronto could have WON this trade?
* I guess this leads me back to our other conversation....maybe it would be tough to live in Toronto right now....it would be very hard to ignore.
This trade COULD work out for both teams, but if anyone would have won the trade, I would have to say Calgary did, easy.
Phaneuf is so overrated by the Canadian media its not even funny.
Dont get me wrong, he is a good player, but if you believe some of the stuff written about him you would think hes a finalist for the Norris every year. Now that hes in Toronto that is going to get magnified times a thousand.

I appologize for initially getting this thread off topic btw by bringing up Nick Boynton getting put on waivers. maybe we can move that part of the convo to the Obsequious Thread.