HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New moves = New lines

Old
02-01-2010, 01:02 PM
allstar3970

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgShakeNbake View Post
I was thinking dubi with voros because of the success of last years **{voros, dubi, zherdev}} line...

And as for dubi success at wing, there was none so why dont we try anisimov?

Prust will definitely replace brasher with no problem.

The line that I would love to see the most would be
avery - dubi - cally ------------------------------------------------------------but that will never happen

It also cracks me up everyone who has drury at wing... ru guys mad? He has the best face off win percentage on our team, he is top 25 in league.... which has been his only success lately...

as for christensen he will be gone... i wish him the best of luck though, hes a good guy just a tough break with his career.
So you think the brief success of the voros-dubi-nik z line had something to do with some sort of chemistry we need to explore further (by putting Dubi on the 4th line), we should put anisimov on the wing just for the hell of it, and the line you really want to see is just 3 fan favorites thrown together. Nice

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Fletch

Dubi/Voros/Zherdev was a fluke...

that should never be replicated again. You had guys who clicked early and a guy like Dubi who was in game shape very quickly (he played in Traverse City, correct?). The result was they were up to December play while defenses were still trying to shake the cobwebs. Once the cobwebs were gone, it was over. Voros should not be playing more than 10 minutes per game in the NHL.

As it relates to possible lines if Jokinen gets here, I'd guess that Prospal-Jokinen-Gaborik will be the top line. Torts likes his horses to run, and likes to run them hard, and I can see him putting that together and using them a heck of a lot. As for it making sense? Look, you can make sense of almost anything. People will say that Gabby will have less shots...OK, in the 10 games prior to last night that may've been a good thing since he wasn't scoring and perhaps Jokknen would have more skating room and can fill voids when there are droughts. Guys like Lemieux and Jagr were able to play together. I'm sure they'll just find a way to increase the amount of shots on goal, as opposed to cannibalizing each other's efforts. Despite the fact that this isn't the JoKinen of a few years ago, but he still did tally 29 goals last season and could help up front on the PP.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Guys like Lemieux and Jagr were able to play together. .
Although they were at their best when they only played together on the powerplay and were on seperate lines at even strength.

Jokinen is hardly an elite player regardless., he's a good player who's looked great at points in his career.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Fletch

Jokinen isn't an elite player, although he has stood out on some teams that weren't so good and the difference between the points he scored and what the #2 guy on the team scored was often pretty wide. Further, I don't see a more accomplished centerman currently on this team; certainly not Erik Christenson. I did choke a bit when Sam stated the Rangers will start the game with their #1 line and his name was mentioned. Just doesn't seem right and something needs to be done about that.

Old
02-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Jim Morrison

Am I the only one excited about getting Prust? Seems to be a good scrapper and he's cheap too. Avery+Prust!

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Am I the only one excited about getting Prust? Seems to be a good scrapper and he's cheap too. Avery+Prust!
I am more excited for Prust than Jokinen. Prust is the type of player I am hoping Byers becomes. Hard-nosed, tough, gritty forward who can slot in on the 3rd line but will most likely play on the 4th. He will drop the gloves when need be and really brings some aggressiveness that this team lacks. I am much more comfortable having Prust + Voros + Boyle on the 4th line than having Brashear out there or wasting Avery on the 4th line.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:22 PM
omgShakeNbake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I am more excited for Prust than Jokinen. Prust is the type of player I am hoping Byers becomes. Hard-nosed, tough, gritty forward who can slot in on the 3rd line but will most likely play on the 4th. He will drop the gloves when need be and really brings some aggressiveness that this team lacks. I am much more comfortable having Prust + Voros + Boyle on the 4th line than having Brashear out there or wasting Avery on the 4th line.
I am also stoked for prust, he is ten times better than brasher and boyle for that matter. He is young good scrapper

omgShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
omgShakeNbake

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
So you think the brief success of the voros-dubi-nik z line had something to do with some sort of chemistry we need to explore further (by putting Dubi on the 4th line), we should put anisimov on the wing just for the hell of it, and the line you really want to see is just 3 fan favorites thrown together. Nice
Whats wrong with putting three hard working/capable of scoring/forechecking players together?

omgShakeNbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Fletch

omg...

what was the line combo you were suggesting? Seemed like you wanted Dubi with Voros, but then suggested Dubi with Cali and Avery. I don't think many will take too much exception to the latter. Playing with Voros, a guy who should be on the fourth line, isn't going to get Dubi anywhere and is not where you want him spending his time.

Old
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Prospal-Jokinen-Callahan

only using Prospal-Jokinen-Gaborik on the powerplay.
That Top-6 looks legit. It's a nice way to spread out the possible scoring.

I like it.

Last edited by Loffen: 02-01-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Nick00

What moves?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Fletch

I know we're all just speculating about lines because Jokinen isn't far from a sure thing, but does it bother anyone that Christenson's name is even mentioned as a top six forward?

Old
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
XLJ

I think putting Jokinen on the 2nd line would help the secondary scoring. The rangers need another line that can score. Gaborik is on pace for 45-50 goals he doesn't need Jokinen his line scores. Dubinsky is fine playing on the first line but Torts seems to panic and take him off whenever he has a bad game.

Drury has 11 assists this year that is embarrasing for someone who has been the 2nd line center for most of the year and gets a lot of power play time. They need to get Drury off the 2nd line and just use him in a defensive role. I think Jokinen could help guys like Callahan score a little more.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I see a lot of you putting Joks on the first line when he's more of a goal scorer than a play-maker.

I'd seperate him and Gabs.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Jokinen is arguably the most selfish guy in league history since Bure. even Jagr and OV are world class passers.

Jokinen would never feed gabby the puck.

Prospal-Christiansen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Jokinen-Callahan
Avery-AA-Drury
Prust-Boyle-Lisin

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Jokinen is arguably the most selfish guy in league history since Bure. even Jagr and OV are world class passers.
Bure almost always had more goals than assists. Jokinen almost always has more assists than goals.

You typically aren't selfish when you're getting 50+ assists in a season. I think the difference in Jokinen's play is when he feels like he has real support to setup his linemates and when he feels like he doesn't. Now, I'm not saying that his feeling bears a real relationship to reality, because clearly Doan and Iginla should constitute real support, but it's just what I interpret from his stats. And who knows? Maybe the Eastern style of play suits his game better.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:37 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Bure almost always had more goals than assists. Jokinen almost always has more assists than goals.

You typically aren't selfish when you're getting 50+ assists in a season. I think the difference in Jokinen's play is when he feels like he has real support to setup his linemates and when he feels like he doesn't. Now, I'm not saying that his feeling bears a real relationship to reality, because clearly Doan and Iginla should constitute real support, but it's just what I interpret from his stats. And who knows? Maybe the Eastern style of play suits his game better.

Forget the stats. He's a hog and likes to be the center of attention.

You rarely can have two guys on the same line who like to shoot the puck like 400 times a year, one of which is a center. Most of Jokinen's assists come from rebounds from his very heavy shot.

Gabby is low maintenance. He doesnt need a center to score. He needs secondary scoring from other lines, and Jokinen will do that on the 2nd line.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Forget the stats. He's a hog and likes to be the center of attention.

You rarely can have two guys on the same line who like to shoot the puck like 400 times a year, one of which is a center. Most of Jokinen's assists come from rebounds from his very heavy shot.

Gabby is low maintenance. He doesnt need a center to score. He needs secondary scoring from other lines, and Jokinen will do that on the 2nd line.
There's a difference between showing you can score despite not having a center and having a center contribute to your success. And I would disagree anyway. Gaborik plays better when he has linemates who are making plays through creativity and he can finish the play off. Jokinen is not a passer, but he is certainly a playmaker in a different sense (at least from what I remember of him in Florida). With a center who can consistently do things in the offensive zone, Gaborik's chances to score will increase because his scoring chances will balance out between the rush and offensive zone pressure. Seems to me that 80% of the time, right now, if you stop Gaborik's line on the rush you're going to be pretty successful in shutting him down. Why not add an option?

Jokinen shoots as much as Gaborik... but that doesn't make them incompatible. I know you didn't say that, by the way. But (if this trade happens) I think it's definitely worth seeing how your two most talented forwards play off each other.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I know we're all just speculating about lines because Jokinen isn't far from a sure thing, but does it bother anyone that Christenson's name is even mentioned as a top six forward?
Yep, I know exactly where you are coming from. Christensen has certainly made the most of his chance and helped his career, but I can't imagine him being the best center the Rangers can come up with for the 1st line (or even the 2nd). Just because he has shown a little chemistry with Gaborik, doesn't make him a top 6 player.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Vitto79

I would still go with Jokinen on the top line , Prospal can be the set up man

Prospal, Jokinen, Gaborik
Drury, Dubinsky, Callahan
Avery, Anisimov, Lisin
Boyle, Christiensen, Prust
Brashear, Voros

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Prospal Dubinsky Gaborik
Drury Jokinen Callahan / Avery
Christensen Anisimov Avery / Callahan
Prust Boyle Lisin

That's how I'd set it up. Not sure if Drury / Jokinen / Cally will have the same problem of no set-up man, but chemistry is a funny thing so you never know.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:35 AM
DuklaNation

Just keep in mind that Jokinen plays centre like a finesse winger.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:38 AM
jfc64

Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Jokinen - Anisimov - Lisin
Brashear - Christiensen - Prust
Voros - Boyle

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:39 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I think you start out with Jokinen on the 2nd line and maybe mix in a few shifts where he's on the 1st.

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Jokinen-Callahan
Drury-Anisimov-Avery
Prust-Boyle-Voros

Brashear, Lisin

OR

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Anisimov-Jokinen-Callahan
Drury-Christensen-Lisin/Avery
Avery/Voros-Boyle-Prust

Voros, Brashear

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Flambergius

Jokinen isn't a passing playmaker, which does make him a sort of one dimensional as a center. He does create room and opportunities for his linemates with is speed and size. He isn't selfish player either, he does play for the team and his effort level is pretty good, but he is a puck-hog and has a tendency to try to do it all himself.

He sort of needs a line where he can be the main guy, even though he isn't quite elite and thus has trouble handling quality opposition on regular basis. He works well with fast forechecking wingers that can make turnovers happen. I could easily see an affordable and pretty efficient second line being build around him.

It's hard to imagine that Jokinen would continue his severe scoring slump. Even in Calgary he was getting chances, but they just weren't going in at nearly same level as on previous seasons, without any apparent reason that I could see (watched about 15 Flames game this season). He isn't slower or weaker, if anything he has slowly turned into pretty rounded player. Players rarely lose their shot when they get older, so I'd think it reasonable to hope that Jokinen can get back to over 10% shot percentage as a Ranger.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote