HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery

View Poll Results: Is Sean Avery good or bad for the Rangers
Good 188 91.26%
Bad 18 8.74%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
Avery did a great job tonight. He stood up for Gaborik and won the fight against Carcillo. And he also had a hard check on Briere into the boards at the end of the game which was great to see.

Last edited by XLJ: 01-21-2010 at 11:17 PM.
XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:15 PM
lbrowne

You know what - Avery almost always takes on fellas bigger than him. I'm not sure how many of you carve your mark on the ice as well but have you ever squared off with someone bigger than you on the ice? Even if it didn't lead to a fight. I'm about 5'9 almost 5'10 and one incident I squared off with and fought someone 6'2/6'3 ish..... not a smart move on my part (lol) but size is a definite advantage going in.

Anyways - Voros fought Malone the other night and got clocked. Malone is a big boy. Avery fought Malone and clocked him pretty good, I think it was last year or the year before. For some reason I think it was when Malone was on Pitts - so maybe the year before last. I remember Malone being infuriated in the box.

For a 5'9er, Avery brings it against pretty much anyone.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Why in the world was Brashear a scratch tonight? He has to go after Richards now next game. No way around it

Hnidy Hnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's why Avery is my boy. People knock him for avoiding fights, but that's only what he does when he's agitating and trying to instigate things. When push comes to shove, and someone needs to answer the bell, you know Aves will step up, even if it's against someone that has 4 inches and 25 pounds on him.

People knock him for taking dumb penalties, calling him selfish...but nights like tonight make it pretty clear that his concern, first and foremost, is with defending his sweater. One of the few true Rangers on the roster, IMO.
He does take dumb penalties at times but he comes to play and he brings life into the lineup. You need guys like him that stand up at times like tonight. It's obvious though that we need someone that can handle bigger game. Hitting and agitating is Sean's job. There should be someone else to take on the Carcillo's.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Why in the world was Brashear a scratch tonight? He has to go after Richards now next game. No way around it
I think I would frighten NHL players as much as Brashear does right now, so I'm going to have to disagree. Brashear should not play for the rest of the season.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
I think I would frighten NHL players as much as Brashear does right now, so I'm going to have to disagree. Brashear should not play for the rest of the season.
You see him much more the I do, I definately take your word for it. But the Brashear I remember, seldom lost a fight. Would tie up, and lower a hurricane of lefts to the side of the head. Even if he's a shell of the 90's Brashear, you guys have to retaliate next meeting in some way. That was a BS move by carsillo

Hnidy Hnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
You see him much more the I do, I definately take your word for it. But the Brashear I remember, seldom lost a fight. Would tie up, and lower a hurricane of lefts to the side of the head. Even if he's a shell of the 90's Brashear, you guys have to retaliate next meeting in some way. That was a BS move by carsillo
You have a good memory, because that was a long time ago, or at least it seems like it. If Brashear starts playing again, he should challenge Aaron Voros' Rangers single-season record for getting his ass kicked.

Last year we had Colton Orr. If we had Colton Orr this year, that may not have happened. And if it still did, the retaliation would have been swift and severe.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Transient

Fans want action. and avery gives that. Not much talent these days and commentators seem to think the game is all about setting the tone and getting revenge and motivating your team. And avery does that well. Avery Rules. Some mods don't understand the game, but they should listen to the commentators to learn it.

Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
Fans want action. and avery gives that. Not much talent these days and commentators seem to think the game is all about setting the tone and getting revenge and motivating your team. And avery does that well. Avery Rules. Some mods don't understand the game, but they should listen to the commentators to learn it.
Follow the infinite wisdom of hockey commentators. lol.

Sean, don't you have to get to practice?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Ice Hockey

we get him at half price. where's the great option?

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
MAYO

Fitzy, you have always been an Avery hater..... just admit, as sad as you may think it is, this guy has been one of the more noticable guys on the ice (for good reasons) on most nights. I love this guy, and when Hank is sitting out a game, he is the second best reason to watch, Gabby a close third.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
mc87yanks

Not only are you wrong on Avery, but you're a bad estimator!

mc87yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

This event alone kills the thread...

And If Avery is bad for the team, why is he still playing? hmm

EPIC FAIL

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
This event alone kills the thread...

And If Avery is bad for the team, why is he still playing? hmm

EPIC FAIL
Why are Redden and Brashear still playing games?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ya can go nuts debating it but the guy will be good and bad for a team, every fan base he's had has gone through this and thats how its gonna be for Sean until the day he retires.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ya can go nuts debating it but the guy will be good and bad for a team, every fan base he's had has gone through this and thats how its gonna be for Sean until the day he retires.
I think the vast, vast majority of Rangers fans like the guy. I think the poll result here is fairly representative of the general fan sentiment regarding Avery. He's a perfect player for NY.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think the vast, vast majority of Rangers fans like the guy. I think the poll result here is fairly representative of the general fan sentiment regarding Avery. He's a perfect player for NY.
Yeah,a like able guy when he's yours no doubt, but the question is 'is he good or bad'. He's both.

And someone needs to tell him every opponent we play has a Dallas Stars jersey on.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Is he good or bad? He's been good more than bad this year.Offense not withstanding.

He's embraced the city like very few athletes that come here do,and the fans have embraced him right back.

Sure he's brash and annoying...he's a New Yorker!

We'd hate him if he wore a jersey besides ours, but he's a Ranger.He'll be a fan favorite long after he retires long like Duguay is.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Just got a tattoo.

Attachment 37816

Invalid? Anyway it's on his site.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:53 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i for one want more stupid in my Sean Avery. I want him getting the other team off their game. If their focus is on Avery all night, then no one is watching Gaborik.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

To me, Avery is like if we could have gotten Tucker in his prime, as well as I believe Sean is "growing up" into his.

Was Tucker a punk, sure, at one time, and then again as he aged and lost his limited skills. But somewhere in between he was a Captain for Tampa and I believe and Alternate in Toronto as well as a nessesary evil on a few playoff caliber teams. Although I'm not advocating him getting a letter on his chest due to Ref bias, as thats just not a good stratagy for the good of the team.

Can Avery be this going into his prime? I think he is showing he can and is figuring out how to turn "it" on and off at the appropriate times. If he stays here for a few more years I guarentee he will be reguarded as "always a Ranger" just like we have bestowed upon guys like Tikkanen, Langdon, and McPhee, guys who moved around but are always welcomed back.

x BEUKEBOOM x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah,a like able guy when he's yours no doubt, but the question is 'is he good or bad'. He's both.

And someone needs to tell him every opponent we play has a Dallas Stars jersey on.
"Ok Bobby, visualize and focus." "Think of them as someone you dont like." "Ok coach Klein!"

"Bobby!" "Water sucks, gatorade's better."

x BEUKEBOOM x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:23 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Is he good or bad? He's been good more than bad this year.Offense not withstanding.

He's embraced the city like very few athletes that come here do,and the fans have embraced him right back.

Sure he's brash and annoying...he's a New Yorker!

We'd hate him if he wore a jersey besides ours, but he's a Ranger.He'll be a fan favorite long after he retires long like Duguay is.
This post is on point. Thank you.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

According to Voros' twitter:
Quote:
Voros34

Just finished watching SeanAveryDotCom get his arm inked up... Grabbing dinner at Warren 77 in Tribeca now.. Caprese salad, steak, muscles
He has truly replaced Brendan Shanahan as Avery's babysitter.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
94Obsession

Oh Brother.....

The fact that certain people still say Avery is a loose cannon, which isn't true, and is completely blown out of proportion by the Bettman media/robots/sheep, which rubs certain people the wrong way. Sean Avery is a very good hockey player, that doesn't or hasn't even done anything wrong at all except for the Brodeur screening fiasco, and the harmless "sloppy seconds" comment. Sean Avery is a good teammate that for the most part puts the team first, and plays hard very night. The guy played and sacrificed himself and put the team first in 2008 by playing with a lacerated spleen, and he was still busting his ASS out there with it.

People should just get off his ass already. He hardly cheapshots players, he doesn't back down from anybody, and he ALWAYS puts out a good effort.

The fact that people still call this guy out when he hasn't even done anything wrong in my and a lot of other people's eyes, is completely pathetic and ridiculous.

I seriously don't get some of these delusional people that say or call out guy's like Avery, when you have the General Moron "genius" running this team, and when he isn't even the problem.

I'd seriously would rather see threads like "do we have the talent to win the cup?" again, then see threads like this. That's how ridiculous this is.

Players like Enver Lisin, Brian Boyle, Donald "huggy bear" Braissere, R & R, the G.M. and the way this team is built with complete AVERAGE talent and the lack of top 6 fowards on this team, with the exception of Gaborik, and now Jokinen, but he likely wont be re-signed thankfully, IS the problem. Not players like Sean Avery, who literally gives his heart to the team.

It's obvious that people have something against him, especially that Weasel Bettman. If you don't like him, fine, but people should seriously get off his back already like he's such a detriment to his team, and like he's part of the problem.

The guy that called him a "detriment" to the team in 2007, is a BIG detriment himself. So consider the source.

Unbelieveable.

This whole Avery nonsense with him "being a problem" in some Rangers fans eyes, has got to stop.

Last edited by 94Obsession: 02-09-2010 at 11:11 PM.
94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote