HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kotalik/Higgins Traded to CGY for Jokinen/Prust

Old
02-02-2010, 01:15 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Believe me I'm excited.
until more moves get made voros - boyle - prust is a 4th line i'm happy to see play for awhile. after the gaborik carcillo debacle, i'm excited to see avery and voros get a new partner in the foxhole

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TylerDurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Can Slats now turn around and trade Joke? Maybe Joke and Prospal for a late #1 from a Stanley Cup contender looking for help on the second line?

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I'm excited! check out the interview though on http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ "A Slap In The Face"
to me it seems like Prust is way more excited and ready to play in new york which is awesome, but Jokinen does not sound too thrilled, but he says he is looking at the bright side, so we shall see!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Can Slats now turn around and trade Joke? Maybe Joke and Prospal for a late #1 from a Stanley Cup contender looking for help on the second line?

Ahhh wouldnt that be something. Those 2 could/should lands a pick somewhere in 15-25 range. You take that and run.

As for the NYR-CAL trade, easily a winner for Rangers. Like Inferno said we are getting the best player in the deal whilst parting with worst contract out of the 4 players. Nicely done.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:20 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Title should be Prust on his way over, forget Jokinen
Prust is like a mildly better version of Voros, I guess it's just shiny new toy syndrome with that guy while we ignore the fact that we just added top 6 talent for peanuts.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:22 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Late #1? EARLY #1 for those 2!
Value wise yeah but no team out of playoffs picture (or with slim chance to make it) will offer their 1st rounder for these 2. IMO at best we could hope for a pick in 10-15 range but most likely around 20-odd.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
westvandal

You'll like Prust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nia4wjJr_C0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJZ-WnbgOV8

Both fights in the same game. As a Canucks fan, I am a little sad I won't see Rypien and Prust fight more often. Prust made a fan out of me....tough as nails and can skate. The only guy not named Cam Janssen that can even keep with Rypien this year.

westvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueShirts702

vCash: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
I just had an incredibly awful night, definitely one of the worst of my life.

But this still made me crack a slight smile. The Rangers may be in the midst of an up and down season, our fan base may be split between tanking and going for it, but, being a passionate fan of this team always allows me even the slightest reprieve.

Best of luck to Higgins and Kots. Welcome to Broadway Ollie and Prust!
I hope that whatever made your night so bad rectifies itself in short order.

As for the deal? How Sather does it is beyond me. The Cigar is the hardest dude in the world to figure out.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:23 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I'm surprised to see no excitement at all over Prust, considering how people here always complain about our lack of toughness (and rightfully so).
Good to get someone who can actually fight...
Not sure how he plays away from the puck though.
Prust is worth having. You're right.
This guys sticks up for his teammates. I'm a bit surprised Calgary let go of him, though they do have McGrattan. It's not like he is irreplaceable to the Flames, but his value shines brighter on a soft team like NYR.

I'm no expert, but he is pretty average as players go. His +/- has hovered around 0, averaging about 9 minutes over the last 10 or so games. He doesn't try fancy stuff. Definitely the right kind of addition to the Rangers.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:23 AM
RangerFan10

IMO if Jokinen starts to look like the guy he was in Florida, you try to re-sign him to a deal that averages about the same $ per year in the off-season that he's got now before he hits the open market. Maybe even less per year if they give him a good amount of years.

Old
02-02-2010, 01:24 AM
mti79

I'm looking at it like this.... We get a center who has shown an ability to do well in the pivot. Jokinen (the boys room) has put up points before. Best case scenario is he re-discovers some of that and helps the Rangers in the short term. Worst case is that he sucks like many people say he does and he's gone come July. We then have 5.5 Million reasons to be excited about the deal.

Higgins was a good piece to get for Gomez, and I had high hopes for him. Unfortunately things didn't work out and he's out in Calgary. Kotalik was another player I was excited to get because I really thought he could help out on the PP. And he did... for like 2 weeks. After that he didn't show much of anything and it looked like we were on the hook for the next 2 years at $3Mill per.

We get to subtract Kotalik from our pressbox and add Jokinen (the boys room) for a few months before gaining cap space. (Please don't F it up Slats....) Who knows, maybe Slats will flip Ollie at the deadline for a pick or prospect or something and then we get that and the cap space.

I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook on things because it could be worse... We could've just traded FOR Kotalik and that contract.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:25 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

*pops in cigar* "Good or bad, I make the impossible... possible"

*cue music*

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:27 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I'm surprised to see no excitement at all over Prust, considering how people here always complain about our lack of toughness (and rightfully so).
Good to get someone who can actually fight...
Not sure how he plays away from the puck though.
Higgins and Kotalik for Prust alone would've made me smile. I don't give two poops about Joke.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Prust is like a mildly better version of Voros, I guess it's just shiny new toy syndrome with that guy while we ignore the fact that we just added top 6 talent for peanuts.
i think a lot of that has to do with the gaborik/carcillo spectacle. we watched a team mill around and do nothing aside from avery and voros, to show the league dropping the gloves with broadway's star is not acceptable. adding another guy to the line-up that's not interested in "over-thinking" a situation where gabby gets forced into dropping the gloves is a welcome addition provided he can skate better without requiring an ice-walker

Old
Sockosensei

I feel like as fans the biggest thing we gave up was our secret locker room information source

To Higgins: I really wish it would've worked out here. Best of luck out west.
To Higgins' brother: Thanks for all the info. It was fun while it lasted.

To Ales: I hope you get the fire back. Good luck.

Jokinen & Prust, welcome aboard!

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:29 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
i think a lot of that has to do with the gaborik/carcillo spectacle. we watched a team mill around and do nothing aside from avery and voros, to show the league dropping the gloves with broadway's star is not acceptable. adding another guy to the line-up that's not interested in "over-thinking" a situation where gabby gets forced into dropping the gloves is a welcome addition provided he can skate better without requiring an ice-walker
Just like Hank getting run at the beginning of the season, a lot of the times uninetentionally IMO, that incident involved so much overreaction around here it's not even funny. It's nice to add someone with some toughness, but one person doesn't change the fact that this team's extremely soft, especially on defense.

And there were plenty of others that wanted to drop the gloves after that happened other than Avery and Voros. To the point where it was annoying, because they were clearly flustered and cared more about going out and taking an eye for an eye rather than trying to get the win.

Old
02-02-2010, 01:32 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

jokinen said all the right things. He didn't want to be traded. Maybe the deal lights a fire ... lets hope so for NY's sake

no dispersions against higgins or kotalik but they just weren't scoring for NY, so its a winning situation for NY. Two guys who weren't scoring for a guy who hopefully can score (or improve scoring)

the cap situation is a nice bonus too.

Now if NY can deal a defenseman to Vancouver for someone or something that would rock

obviously we would prefer to see Redden gone, but I think Rozi will get his ticket punched. The Canucks clearly have a need too.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

You guys will ****ing love prust, he is a stud, he hits, brings it every night, and fights really well.

I am a canucks fan, and I would love to have him on our fourth line

Go look up some of the rypien vs prust fights. Some were beauty's

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:35 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
You guys will ****ing love prust, he is a stud, he hits, brings it every night, and fights really well.

I am a canucks fan, and I would love to have him on our fourth line

Go look up some of the rypien vs prust fights. Some were beauty's
We have a bunch of 4th liners on this team.What would make him anymore special other than he'll be the only one who knows how to throw a punch?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:36 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Just like Hank getting run at the beginning of the season, a lot of the times uninetentionally IMO, that incident involved so much overreaction around here it's not even funny. It's nice to add someone with some toughness, but one person doesn't change the fact that this team's extremely soft, especially on defense.

And there were plenty of others that wanted to drop the gloves after that happened other than Avery and Voros. To the point where it was annoying, because they were clearly flustered and cared more about going out and taking an eye for an eye rather than trying to get the win.
bold = agreed. the second point about the team getting flustered is part of that problem though. guys like dubi, cally, etc shouldn't need to even rethink it after the shift, as guys like girardi, voros, and avery will all (or should all) take that on their shoulders to be dealt with. either way, when gabby was on the ice he wound up being challenged to drop the gloves and noone on the ice at the time bothered to do a damn thing about it.

underline = disagree. we've seen 6+ players this year break their hands or various face parts in fights. that's the price those guys pay including souray 2 nights ago. if gabby happened to injury himself, or take a knockout shot and hit the ice hard the reaction would be way worse.

Old
02-02-2010, 01:36 AM
westvandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandal View Post
You'll like Prust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nia4wjJr_C0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJZ-WnbgOV8

Both fights in the same game. As a Canucks fan, I am a little sad I won't see Rypien and Prust fight more often. Prust made a fan out of me....tough as nails and can skate. The only guy not named Cam Janssen that can even keep with Rypien this year.

They're right here... I didn't post them properly.

I still didn't ? well... the links are above. Sorry guys.

westvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
We have a bunch of 4th liners on this team.What would make him anymore special other than he'll be the only one who knows how to throw a punch?
Trust me, you guys will fall in love with prust.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:42 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandal View Post
They're right here... I didn't post them properly.

Fixed. Also, your avatar is hella creepy.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:44 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Hmm. I wouldn't trivialize the addition of Prust like that. Welcoming his kind of play does not lessen the potential of what Jokinen might do, but don't forget the old 'what have you done for me lately' adage.
Out here in Calgary, not much at all. He has looked so out of step. Not sure what to attribute that to, but he still showed those flashes when you saw how quick he was and how fast he got a shot off. Can't fake that stuff.

I'm not pre-judging him, I'm going on what he has done. Also, just stating that he is known to be a bit of a drip in the locker room. All the better if he shines on Broadway, I agree.

Hopefully he really gets going.

Last edited by trilobyte: 02-02-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: talking about Jokinen
trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

well damn, that kid has a hell of a chin, and a great straight right. anyone know if he can skate well enough to forecheck. calgary board says he's a pretty good skater, but i can't find a single clip of him where his gloves are still on his hands