HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kotalik/Higgins Traded to CGY for Jokinen/Prust

Old
02-02-2010, 06:14 AM
begbeee

vCash: 500
Hope chemistry will work between Gabby and Jokinen.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:20 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Hope chemistry will work between Gabby and Jokinen.
Gabby is the kind of player who can play with anybody.

I worry more about the chemistry between Ollie and Torts.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:20 AM
92hatchattack

you guys think these 2 are gonna make it into the lineup tonight?

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:26 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:33 AM
jniklast

Great deal! I didn't have a good feeling after all this holding it up, so this is a great morning surprise!
I only feel a little bit bad for Higgins, you really couldn't blame his effort, he gave it all. But seeing him missing the net again and again really was frustrating.
Now we're still missing a playmaking center, but we should adress that in the offseason. Jokinen at least has a good shot and should provide some secondary scoring, and even more important cap space for next season. And I hope Prust comes as advertised and really brings some physicality here, because Brashear sure didn't.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:36 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Awesome pic

Old
02-02-2010, 06:38 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Gabby is the kind of player who can play with anybody.

I worry more about the chemistry between Ollie and Torts.
Good center is always a help And Jokinen is good center, is not?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:46 AM
bubba5

So that is 5+ million off the cap of the about 10 mil. we need to get Kovalchuk. All we need to do is get rid of Rozy or Redden (both would be great) and we can do it! Hartford is always there if we cant trade them away.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenhart2008 View Post
Well i did find a video of Prust that was not fighting related after all.....

lmao!!!! duguay and daneko are going to love that!!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:54 AM
ohbaby

Last 3 years with FLA....

--------------------GP-G--A--P-SOG
2005-2006 Panthers 82 38 51 89 351

2006-2007 Panthers 82 39 52 91 351

2007-2008 Panthers 82 34 37 71 341

I'd say he a elite player.

Last edited by ohbaby: 02-02-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old
02-02-2010, 06:55 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
IMO if Jokinen starts to look like the guy he was in Florida, you try to re-sign him to a deal that averages about the same $ per year in the off-season that he's got now before he hits the open market. Maybe even less per year if they give him a good amount of years.
No, you don't. Under no circumstances should Jokinen be re-signed. He's 31 and has been in steady decline since leaving Florida.

We cleared 3 mil for next year, money that will go towards re-signing Staal and Girardi. There's no way you give Jokinen that money, and then some, to come back. Let him sign as a UFA somewhere else.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:58 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I knew Kotalik wouldn't last the length of that awful contract with the Rangers...of course, I didn't expect him gone so soon. Jokinen is an afterthought. This is all about creating enough space this off-season to pursue Kovalchuk. If the cap does go up to $58.6 million as anticipated, not retaining Jokinen and waiving Redden gives the Rangers enough space to re-sign Staal and offer Kovalchuk the $10 miilion he's going to ask for. Replacing Girardi with Sangyinetti, waiving Voros and finding a way to remove Brasher, will create some additional cap space until Rozsival and Drury come off the books.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:01 AM
eco's bones

Welcome to the New York Rangers--Brandon Prust. A legit 4th liner who can really fight. Rangers just got better just for that.

Listen up, Chris Drury.--Olli Jokinen says 'Scoring 11 goals and making $5 mil per just doesn't cut it'.

I expected more of Higgins but he did work hard so I don't have any bad feelings for him. As for Kotalik we crawled out from underneath another horrible contract. Good to see him go.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jokinen has to be the biggest ******* to lace up the skates in NHL history. Darryl Sutter traded Lombardi and a first round pick to Phoenix for Jokinen and then trades Jokinen for another rental and a player with 2 years remaining on his contract

Quote:
The key player in the deal for the offense-challenged Blueshirts is Jokinen, the very talented 31-year-old center who has scored 34 goals or more in four seasons, but who also has a terrible reputation around the league as a selfish player who also is a bad teammate.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0eNZKbOLp

Olli must have a big limo.

Last week,Sutter said he wanted to re-sign Jokinen. He wasn't trading Dion. Brother Brent wanted to plow his fields in Red Deer and didn't want to coach the Flames.

Sutter still owes Maloney the #1 this June. Amazing.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Lone Ranger

Sather is the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde GM. His moves are either sublime or idiotic. There's no middle ground with him.

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:15 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Good job Sather getting rid of the Kotalik contract.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:18 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Dont know if this bin posted before, but:

Gomez
for
Gaborik, Jokinen, McDonugh.

Pretty good deal!

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Good job Sather getting rid of the Kotalik contract.
...only fixing his own mistake
Good job that he was able to convince anyone that Kotalik for that contract is a valuable asset.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The key player in the deal for the offense-challenged Blueshirts is Jokinen, the very talented 31-year-old center who has scored 34 goals or more in four seasons, but who also has a terrible reputation around the league as a selfish player who also is a bad teammate.
This is the part that worries me. Higgins and Kotalik weren't helping this team make a playoff run so I'm not sad to see them go but you have to wonder why Sather was able to get a player with Jokinen's ability (admittedly he's underperformed this season thus far) for those two forwards--one with a bad contract and the other one with absolutely zero confidence scoring this year. Was Sutter so desperate to get rid of him that he made the deal for a questionable return because Jokinen is a problem in the dressing room?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather signs Matt Cullen. 4 years/$11.5 million. Trades Cullen back to Carolina after 1 season with the Rangers. Andrew Hutchinson,Joe Barnes and 3rd round pick(08)which was used on Evgeny Grachev.

Before the Cullen trade,Sather traded Aaron Ward to Boston for Paul Mara. Ward signed a 2 year deal worth $5.5 million. He was traded before the 1st season ended for Mara who had the same contract term but made $250,000 more.

Scott Gomez was traded with 5 years and $33.5 million remaining and Kotalik didn't last 1 season with the Rangers.

Sather views the contracts as assets and figures he will able to move them. Gomez and Kotalik had limited NTC's to three teams. Both were moved.

Rozsival has 2 years remaining worth $7 million. Anaheim traded Giggy's $7 million next season for Blake with $6 million over 2 years remaining. Anaheim had a limited market for Giggy and got back a useful player(he was on Long Island)they can use for the next 2 years at $3 million per in salary rather than have a 2 year buyout of Giggy's contract. Rozsival's contract structure makes him movable in the summer. More than 1 team will be in the market for a vet on defense.

Old
02-02-2010, 07:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

That Darren Dreger has great sources. He went 3 for 3 on the Rangers,Leafs,Flames and Ducks deals.

Old
02-02-2010, 07:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"Iím looking forward to the opportunity, going to the big city, playing in Madison Square Garden," said Prust, who, with 18 fights, was less scrappy than only one player in the entire league ó Tampaís Zenon Konopka, with 21.

"Itís sad to leave ó again. Leaving all my buddies here. A city thatís become my home. At the same time, Iím moving forward and looking forward to it.

"This is just the business side of the game. This is the ugly side, I guess you could say. Stuff happens."
Quote:
"Going back to the Eastern Conference, Iím pretty excited," said Jokinen. "An Original Six team. And I know the coach (John Tortorella) very well. When he was in Tampa, he coached against me lots. They probably know what theyíre getting."
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...662/story.html

They know what they're getting.

Old
02-02-2010, 07:34 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Haha I laughed at his quote. Yea...we ALL know what we are getting with you Olli.

I wish the reporter would had asked him "Well Olli, what are we getting from you?"

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:36 AM
DutchShamrock

I think Jokinen was acquired to make the playoff push. No one in NY thinks this team is a contender, but playoff revenue is too much to pass up and tank. One more win than 5 of 9 teams in the hunt and you are guarenteed $2m in playoff revenue that the players can't touch. If you can avoid Was or Pit, you have a decent chance of getting two playoff rounds... lots of cash.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Very popular trade with Calgary Herald hockey columnist George Johnson

Quote:
Want-away Kotalik? Higgins?

Surely thereís got to be more to it than that. Please tell us Sutter, who unloaded Dion Phaneuf in a massive seven-player shakeup on Sunday, has something else up his sleeve. Maybe flip Kotalik to Atlanta in a package to bring back Colby Armstrong (whoop-de-do!).

Higgins is really more of what the Flames already have - third-line forwards. Kotalik, the Ďnameí in the deal, is aging (31), soft, disruptive and comparatively expensive (owned $3 million US over each of the next two seasons). One of those flirts who teases with his skill set, his shot, and then leaves you hanging. He walked out on the Rangers when informed the team was endeavoring to deal him. Now THEREís a guy you want leading the charge into the United Center.
Quote:
You can bet two orchestra seats to the current Radio City Music Hall show that curmudgeonly Ranger GM Glen Sather is wiping spittle off his chin in anticipation of striking that $6 mil off the books.

Is Ales Kotalik really going to provide anything more than Olli Jokinen down the stretch and (they hope) into the post-season? At least with Jokinen, the Flames arenít on the hook for any coin past July 1st. They can simply wave ta-ta. With Kotalik, youíre stuck in a loveless marriage with little hope of a quickie divorce.

Between them, Kotalik and Higgins have scored 14 goals, compiled 36 points and are a collective minus-27 this season. Now THATís bang for your buck!
http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...772/story.html

The Garden owns Radio City.