HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kotalik/Higgins Traded to CGY for Jokinen/Prust

Old
02-02-2010, 06:39 AM
klikkar

vCash: 500

+

There will be some hilarious photos in future

klikkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:43 AM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikkar View Post

+

There will be some hilarious photos in future
hahhahahaa

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Kind of Blue

Little to no downside with this deal; all upside. Beauty of a deal.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:45 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Our team has managed to cope with Avery in the locker room so I dont know what the concern is about Joke-inen. Let him play his 30 or so games for us and then sign elsewhere.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:47 AM
NYRangers09

Yes!!!! I am so happy kotalik is gone. Like I've always said, kotalik can kotalick my balls!

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:51 AM
FOXHOUND*

No givsies-backsies!

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Not sure if anyone posted this already, but assuming the roster stays the same til the summer (which is unlikely), we will have 10.7m in cap space with 5 RFA (Prust, Christiansen, Lisin, Girardi, Staal), and 2 UFA (Prospal, Jokinen).

If we remove Redden's contract that would give us approx 17.2m in cap space.

If we remove Rozsival's contract that would give us approx 15.7m in cap space.

Either option would definitely give us enough to pursue Kovalchuk and still re-sign a few of our RFAs if we so choose, though I think Staal is the only RFA worth re-signing.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:07 AM
UAGoalieGuy

finally! Great deal that the Rangers rid themselves of Kotalik's contract! Sather does it again!

Any chance they play tonight?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Levitate

Has Larry Brooks written an article yet about how this was a bad trade and Sather shouldn't have gone through with it?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:12 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
finally! Great deal that the Rangers rid themselves of Kotalik's contract! Sather does it again!

Any chance they play tonight?
With Kotalik in NY and Higgins doubtful, one will have to be dressed at least tonight to play with Brashear. Jokinen played 15 minutes yesterday, Prust 7 minutes. Maybe both will play.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Last 3 years with FLA....

--------------------GP-G--A--P-SOG
2005-2006 Panthers 82 38 51 89 351

2006-2007 Panthers 82 39 52 91 351

2007-2008 Panthers 82 34 37 71 341

I'd say he a elite player.
Hmm I think I would disagree.

During 15 years in the NHL he have made the PO's once. You don't win with players like him.

Solid deal? You bet, he is a lot better then anything we have.

Great player? Not a chance.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:16 AM
nyr7andcounting

Great deal for us. We get much better this season. Jokinen has more offensive talent than anyone on our team aside from Gaborik. I actually liked Higgins but I think if Avery is given more ice time he can pick up some of the slack, and Jokinen will provide twice as much offense as Higgins was. Kotalik wasn't a part of the team at this point and getting rid of his contract is the best thing that could have happened. Worst case scenario is Jokinen doesn't work out and leaves this summer and we have extra cap space plus Prust, where as with Higgins/Kotalik we would have had nothing past this season anyway.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Haha I laughed at his quote. Yea...we ALL know what we are getting with you Olli.

I wish the reporter would had asked him "Well Olli, what are we getting from you?"
I laughed too, and don't get me wrong, OJ is one of the players I dislike the most -- but I think the whole "cancer" thing is nothing but pure BS. He aint good. You don't win hockeygames with players like him. He is a center who can't take charge of a shift even. When he gets a opportunity he is hard to contain, he don't create opportunity. That have resulted in 1 PO in 15 years in the NHL.

Keenan chased the living F out of this guy in Florida, everyone there looked for him all the time, and Jokinen put up good stats. There is no disputing that. And with players like him, its always a fine breaking point between being successful and beeing invisible. He is big and is a decent skater. Either you can handle that, or you can't.

But then all of a sudden a bunch of people around this league thought that OJ was a great player and its since then these cancer stuff have appeared. When he haven't produced up to expectations people start looking for reasons for it.

I mean, we played FLA a ton when OJ was there. Can anyone remember one shift where OJ took charge of a game? It have never happened. He just isn't that good. He is miles behind like a Mats Sundin.

Its like with Alex Yashin. He was supposedly a cancer too. The funny thing is -- he can't skate. Nobody ever reports that. Like "Wow how could NYI give that contract to a center who can't skate?"

Cancer or not, Yashin couldn't skate. Therefor he could never have produced much more then he did playing for a sheity team. Thats a fact. I always laughed at the debate about Yashin, you got the impression that he would have been a mega star if he just showed up. Its possible that he was a mega cancer -- what do I know. But even with a perfect attitude, he could never have been better then he was. He wasn't one bit more skilled then a Jason Allison.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:29 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hmm I think I would disagree.

During 15 years in the NHL he have made the PO's once. You don't win with players like him.

Solid deal? You bet, he is a lot better then anything we have.

Great player? Not a chance.
Take a look at what he had to work with in florida, do you really blame him for missing the playoffs?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:31 AM
msv957

This is a STEAL of a deal for Sather and the Rangers... Gotta give credit to Sather.. He is a real good wheeler/dealer.. I honestly can't remember a bad trade Sather has made as the Ranger GM... I am sure everyone on HF will posts some of his bad trades as a reminder... LOL...

However, Sather is a real good GM when is comes to trades and etc.. However, signing UFA's to big contracts??? Well.. His track record is ok at best....

The Rangers now could be in GREAT cap position to go out and sign the "BIG FISH" Ilya Kovalchuk on 07/01/2010.....

I cannot believe Sather schmoozed Gainey last year in taking on the Gomez Contract and I cannot believe Sather schmoozed the Sutter's in taking Kotalik's contract..... Unbelievable work by Sather...

This trade alone.. The Rangers got the much better player in Jokinen while gaining big time cap relief next year to go after Kovalchuk...... I see no benefit why Calgary would make this trade unless they think Kotalik is the next Mike Bossy..... Sather deserves a some cuban cigars for this deal...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

To all of the Rangers fans who are still bashing Kotalik, drop it already.

Glen Sather signed him to a contract which unfortunately turned out to be way more than he deserved. His time in New York was not successful (outside of maybe the first month of the season). However, think about how much worse this could have been. How would you feel if you found out that this deal collapsed because Kotalik refused to waive his partial "No Trade" clause? It was well within Kotalik's right to refuse to go to Calgary, but he didn't. In the end, I'm damn thankful that he decided to not enforce part of the contract that Sather must have been willing to sign just a few months ago.

He's off to Calgary now where I wish him nothing but the best. There's no bitter taste in my mouth because I see the Rangers as the clear winners of this trade.

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I mean, we played FLA a ton when OJ was there. Can anyone remember one shift where OJ took charge of a game? It have never happened. He just isn't that good. He is miles behind like a Mats Sundin.
Thankfully the Rangers aren't locked into paying him a big contract for anything longer than the rest of the season.

I don't think anyone is hoping for (or at least should be hoping for) Florida in his prime Olli Jokinen. We're going to get mediocre, underachieving Jokinen, who will probably help a little bit (as sad as that is) and then be gone in free agency. But the Rangers got rid of a bad contract in the meantime, so alright.

I do think you're a little hard on Jokinen in his Florida years, though. Yeah he wasn't a superstar or someone who could carry the team, but those were some terrible terrible teams as well. He was a good player who was thrust into the role of needing to carry the team (along with Luongo) when that's not what he's capable of doing. That doesn't make him a bad overall player, or someone you can't win with period. Just that he's not someone you can rely on to drag the team into the playoffs and win all by himself.

But that's irrelevant at this point because like I said, we're not getting Florida era Jokinen, we're getting mediocre Calgary era Jokinen. As a rental.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:34 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Sather still sucks. I don't care what he does, he still deserves to be thrown out on his ass and should have a long time ago.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:37 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Time to trade Rozsival now. and throw Girardi with him in a deal.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:42 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Our team has managed to cope with Avery in the locker room so I dont know what the concern is about Joke-inen. Let him play his 30 or so games for us and then sign elsewhere.
Knock it off with the Avery is a cancer crap. He's the first one to stick up for his teammates, and they always seem genuinely happy when he scores or takes a fight. Are you Gary Bettman in disguise?

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Time to trade Rozsival now. and throw Girardi with him in a deal.
I agree with trading Rozsival, but not Girardi. We can't get rid of everyone on defense, and Girardi has better games than Rozsival does most of the time.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
This trade is so confirmed that its OFFFICAL.

According to the title

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:58 AM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Not sure if anyone posted this already, but assuming the roster stays the same til the summer (which is unlikely), we will have 10.7m in cap space with 5 RFA (Prust, Christiansen, Lisin, Girardi, Staal), and 2 UFA (Prospal, Jokinen).

If we remove Redden's contract that would give us approx 17.2m in cap space.

If we remove Rozsival's contract that would give us approx 15.7m in cap space.

Either option would definitely give us enough to pursue Kovalchuk and still re-sign a few of our RFAs if we so choose, though I think Staal is the only RFA worth re-signing.
I think we have to resign staal to around 3mill and girardi to around 2.5. now before you go crazy on my for saying girardi 2.5 he is a very serviceable d-man for 2.5. i think well trade rosival not before the trade deadline but in late june. Also I can see us signing prust for that added toughness we need on a 1 year 600k

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Scooter17

Awesome trade. We get rid of Kotalik and his contract. He wasn't playing anyways and when he did play he was horrible. On top of that Jokinen is obviously an upgrade over Higgins and they are both gone after this year anyways. Prust is just a spare part...maybe an upgrade over Voros?

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Chimp

I don't like Jokinen and don't think he will bring much to the table, but for dealing trash like Kotalik (YAY!) and Higgins? Can't say much.

Getting rid of Kotalik and his 3y/9m deal is like a dream.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote