HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Houston we have a problem !!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 08:04 AM
red alert 23

vCash: 500
Houston we have a problem !!!

So far I`m not very impress with what the guys have been showing in the goal scoring departement ! Last night one goal only !
1 for 9 on the power play ! 5 against 3 for 1 min 9 sec. = o shot on nets ! I dont know how the hell we will be competitive and make the playoffs ! Never mind it`s pre-season ... we have no size ; no toughness; no fitgher to protect our best players ; so many problems on and off the ice ; no naturel goal scorer ... I feel depress now I think I`ll grab myself a beer and dream about next years draft .... Ovechkin may be ???

Guys I`m I the only one panicking ???

Old
09-24-2003, 08:09 AM
GilleZ

Hehe, for sure its desapointing. But you got to see the bright side, we didn't get outshout in 1 pre-season games. Thats is a big difference out there. I think thats the major point they wanted to chance. We may finaly have a system, and if you look at the Wild, a system can do great things.

Dont despair, its still pre-season, the important thing is that we score in the regular season.

Go Habs Go!!!!

Old
09-24-2003, 08:10 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by red alert 23
So far I`m not very impress with what the guys have been showing in the goal scoring departement ! Last night one goal only !
1 for 9 on the power play ! 5 against 3 for 1 min 9 sec. = o shot on nets ! I dont know how the hell we will be competitive and make the playoffs ! Never mind it`s pre-season ... we have no size ; no toughness; no fitgher to protect our best players ; so many problems on and off the ice ; no naturel goal scorer ... I feel depress now I think I`ll grab myself a beer and dream about next years draft .... Ovechkin may be ???

i'm sure you are not the only one panicking, but you should relax and calm down. :p

Serenity now...

PP problems can be fixed with better coaching and player chemistry...pre-season is a good time to test these sorts of things...

are you surprised that we have no size, toughness or goal scorers? we haven't exactly added any of these elements during the off-season.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:15 AM
Darz

We kicked ass last year in the preseason, and.............

Alot of experimenting happens in the preseason. No one should worry until the regular season starts.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:17 AM
oli500

You know last year during pre-season we were scoring goals left-right-center. Even chow led the league in goals during the pre-season, after that are team just dident care. This year its going to be different. Right now its a time to be getting used to the system and for the veterans to bound with the young players.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Capitano

Last year was last year, and we were having a decent year last year until after Christmas. If we had an average second half we could have squeaked into the playoffs again. BUT this year is this year and so far I don't see the winning attitude I want to see.

What I'm getting at is that I am hoping we make the playoffs but I wouldn't bet on it, but I want to see an identity. One way or another I want to see us become an offensive, tough, or defensive team. I just want to know what to expect on most nights rather than the inconsistency that seems to be hounding us.

Yes, it's the preseason, but guys like Hossa, Ryder, Higgins, Perezhogin, etc are trying to make our team...if they're playing against mediocre competition they should at least get on the scoreboard every so often.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Habber

You can't put too much blame on the PP yet. I doubt they've worked on it very much in practice, and it's tough when you don't have a set PP unit. (And even tougher when Traverse is playing the point, wth?)

Look at it this way, TO is an alleged Stanley Cup contender, and they looked downright brutal last night. They haven't won a preseason game against an NHL team yet either. No need to panic.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
We kicked ass last year in the preseason, and.............

Alot of experimenting happens in the preseason. No one should worry until the regular season starts.
Exactly!
Meaningless pre-season games are the time to find out which linemates/ strategies work well together and what areas need improvement. Like you said, we finished great last season while Ottawa finished near the bottom of the pre-season standings last year. Neither our great pre-season start nor Ottawa poor pre-season mattered a bit towards how either team finished the regular season, though.

The time to worry is if we start the REAL season 0-3. Of course, that'll never happen as we're going to trounce Toronto every game next season.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:46 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by red alert 23

Well I'm not panicking.
Know what the worst part of the 5 on 3 was? We never even got the puck into their zone to set up, let alone take a shot.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Corey

Power play? Scoring? The only line combination with any continuity consists of Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik. The rest remind me of cloning experiments, such as Higgins with Blouin and Ferland, Higgins with Juneau and Ward, Higgins with Dwyer and Dackell, Plekanec with Dagenais and Audette, etc. In addition, Koivu has been unavailable for all but one full period. What can you expect?

Old
09-24-2003, 11:11 AM
red alert 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
You can't put too much blame on the PP yet. I doubt they've worked on it very much in practice, and it's tough when you don't have a set PP unit. (And even tougher when Traverse is playing the point, wth?)

Look at it this way, TO is an alleged Stanley Cup contender, and they looked downright brutal last night. They haven't won a preseason game against an NHL team yet either. No need to panic.
Well they won one last night against us ! Imagine Belfour wasnt in nets;
To best defenseman duo ( McCabe - Kaberle ) didnt play ; O.Nolan did not dress either !

Old
09-24-2003, 11:13 AM
red alert 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Last year was last year, and we were having a decent year last year until after Christmas. If we had an average second half we could have squeaked into the playoffs again. BUT this year is this year and so far I don't see the winning attitude I want to see.

What I'm getting at is that I am hoping we make the playoffs but I wouldn't bet on it, but I want to see an identity. One way or another I want to see us become an offensive, tough, or defensive team. I just want to know what to expect on most nights rather than the inconsistency that seems to be hounding us.

Yes, it's the preseason, but guys like Hossa, Ryder, Higgins, Perezhogin, etc are trying to make our team...if they're playing against mediocre competition they should at least get on the scoreboard every so often.

Cap
Have to agree with you on the young guys playing against other teams youth ! We are getting beat !

Old
09-24-2003, 11:23 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
What is everyone worrying about?? We don't have a team to contend for the Cup. If we make the playoffs, it will be in the 8th position, if were lucky #7. Id' rather us finish dead last and get Ovechkin than finish 8th or 11th.

Does anyone know if there some other good players in next years draft??

Old
09-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBert
... Does anyone know if there some other good players in next years draft??
The season hasn't started, and we're talking about next year's draft?
Welcome to the Habs board!

Old
09-24-2003, 11:41 AM
RIWhaler

Send a message via AIM to RIWhaler
I agree

[QUOTE=BigBadBert]What is everyone worrying about?? We don't have a team to contend for the Cup. If we make the playoffs, it will be in the 8th position, if were lucky #7. Id' rather us finish dead last and get Ovechkin than finish 8th or 11th.

I absolutely agree. Folks, this is the SAME exact team from last year, minus Czerkawski and McKay. You think Ward's gonna put up 25 goals this year?? Give me a break. This team has nothing in the goal scoring department, and the fact that they can't play an intimidating game is gonna result in their young guys getting pushed around more times than not. Sure, I'm pessimistic. But let me prepare for the worst, here. :

This team did nothing to improve itself in an effort to give some of the younger guys an opportunity to play. The result? I think they'll be worse than last year, honestly. But you never know.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
What is everyone worrying about?? We don't have a team to contend for the Cup. If we make the playoffs, it will be in the 8th position, if were lucky #7. Id' rather us finish dead last and get Ovechkin than finish 8th or 11th.

Yes there are a few good ones after Ovechkin.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Capitano

Quote:

I'm a worrier because I hate seeing them lose they way they have been losing lately. Two years ago when we made the playoffs, I got a taste of it again...life is too short to miss the playoffs. I hate not being able to cheer them on in April, May, and June

I'm a worrier because I see the team that was once a proud organization turning into one that is a perpetual rebuilding team that never goes anywhere.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Marmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Yes there are a few good ones after Ovechkin.
Robbie Schremp, Rotislav Olesz, Lauri Tukonen comes to mind

Old
09-24-2003, 12:48 PM
MTLGuy

One thing they sure learned last night (I hope)

DON'T EVER PLAY TRAVERSE AND BRISEBOIS TOGETHER AGAIN.

I think it's the worst ever defensive pairing ever in hockey history.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Harry Kakalovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Exactly!
The time to worry is if we start the REAL season 0-3. Of course, that'll never happen as we're going to trounce Toronto every game next season.
right on thanatos! look out make-me-laughs!

Old
09-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
The season hasn't started, and we're talking about next year's draft?
Welcome to the Habs board!
I'm just trying to calm some people down. People are crying foul that we're going to have a bad year. Its expected, we're rebuilding!! So yes, I am talking about next years draft, cause i'm hoping we get a decent pick instead of middle of the pack pick. Don't get me wrong, when the Habs win, i'll be cheering them on, but in the long run, its better that the youngsters learn the game and learn together. Watch the Florida Panthers after the strike(I believe there will be a strike). I believe that Florida will be a powerhouse, cause all their youngsters are learning together and thats what Montreal needs to do.

Closed Thread