HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Scott Hartnell: still untouchable?

Old
02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Champ Anderson*

vCash: 500
Scott Hartnell: still untouchable?

this past summer, under a different handle, I suggested hartnell was an undisciplined, glorified 3rd line wing. I suggested he'd be good trade bait and I was absolutely vilified. 53 games in and I still feel the same way about Nott Smartnell. question is, am I still the only one tired of seeing this mop-headed moron take one dumb penalty after the next? I know what he brings to the team, and I appreciate his size and grit around the net, but I just dont feel he's worth the 4.2 million price tag.

Champ Anderson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Nott Smartnell...I like that one!

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
he has a NTC so its hard to say.

When Giroux needs a new contract maybe

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Champ Anderson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Nott Smartnell...I like that one!
I have that trade marked, dont go making a t-shirt without my permission.... or do, I dont care

Old
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Probably depends on where he goes obviously.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Champ Anderson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Probably depends on where he goes obviously.
you saying you wouldnt want to trade him to say, the rags or pens?

Im just asking plainly, on a scale of one to ten, how willing are people to move hartnell? for example, Im at about a 9. his stock is already taken a hit this year. I am ready to ship him out west if I am homer.

Old
02-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatum Biggs View Post
I have that trade marked, dont go making a t-shirt without my permission.... or do, I dont care
Too late. They're already printed and in the hands of minorities that have never seen a hockey game. You can find them outside the Wach at the next home game yelling something not so cleaver in a weak attempt to see you an XXL.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
IrishSniper87

I like Hartnell, but man, sometimes watching him is unbearable. Nott Smartnell is VERY accurate. Hartnell might be the worst passer on the team. Worse then Coburn right now.

I'm hoping for a turnaround though, we have no one else capable of playing in front of the net.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Scott Hartnell is tough to judge the value of. I wouldn't say he was ever untouchable, but I wouldn't say he was ever a glorified 3rd line winger.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
you saying you wouldnt want to trade him to say, the rags or pens?

Im just asking plainly, on a scale of one to ten, how willing are people to move hartnell? for example, Im at about a 9. his stock is already taken a hit this year. I am ready to ship him out west if I am homer.
It's called a down year. They have a tendency to happen after career years.

It might also be "Nott Smartnell" to trade him at a point which his value "already taken a hit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I like Hartnell, but man, sometimes watching him is unbearable. Nott Smartnell is VERY accurate. Hartnell might be the worst passer on the team. Worse then Coburn right now.

I'm hoping for a turnaround though, we have no one else capable of playing in front of the net.
He's not paid to pass.

He's also not consistently doing a lot of the things he's paid to do this year, but I'm not ready to trade him yet.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:

you havent been watching coburn then. The dude does have some sweet outlet passes when he doesent brain fart. Lately, he's been solid. Get off the hate wagon already.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Unstable

Hartnell has been shaky lately, but when he's on his game the man can get away with goalie interference, and I'll pay for that.

He could certainly be moved if the price was right.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
for reasons i just cant nail down, i like him and want to keep him. i guess because he plays with energy? i mean, if hes doing badly you can see the frustration in his game. granted, that tends to lead to bonus stupidity, but i like that he at least seems pissed off if he isnt doing well.

i want his contract cut in half though.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Champ Anderson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
It's called a down year. They have a tendency to happen after career years.

It might also be "Nott Smartnell" to trade him at a point which his value "already taken a hit."

He's not paid to pass.

He's also not consistently doing a lot of the things he's paid to do this year, but I'm not ready to trade him yet.
a down year? he is right on par. every year, the guy leads the league in minor PIMs. I am sick of it. I used to stick up for the guy before he became a fan favorite, but I am sick of it. he is like a dog that you love, but it keeps pissing and crapping everywhere. you've done everything you can to train him, but maybe its time for him to go out west, where its wide open, and people dont really care if you pee and crap everywhere. I dont know if I am making any sense, but yeah. its like that. he is dumb.

dont worry about his trade value. he is a proven 20 goal scorer, and like you said, after scoring 30, you would almost expect a down year. the problem is, you would think he would try to fix the aspects of the game he can control... dumb penalties. carcillo did it, why cant #19? because, then he wouldnt be Nott Smartnell.

Old
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
itstheroc87

Quote:
you might be right but atleast he does everything hard. his slap passes are hard for his teammates to handle but also hard for the opposition to handle

itstheroc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Hartnell just loves cross ice passes. Sometimes they work, usually they dont

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:08 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

hes pretty effective in getting infront of the net. that call a few games ago was hogwash. puck was already in the net. i think if he stops antagonizing other teams the refs may look further away from him on his net activities.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Wondering if maybe San Jose is still interested a Clowe/Hartnell swap like they were at the draft.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Unstable

He has to antagonize other teams, it's how he creates space in front of the net.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:03 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Is he untouchable? No. However, he does have a NTC which can get sticky. But I'm not too sure who would fill his role. AKA getting infront of net and causing screens, etc. Knuble did it better IMO than Hartnell. To bad Mike is gone.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:05 AM
sickamore

He was supposed to replace Knuble, who is a part of one of the best lines in hockey. Whatever happens I just don't want Homer involved because he's an idiot.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:11 AM
chaosof99*

It's really sad. After last season all the Pens fans were *****ing about Hartnell but they'd quickly shut up when I pointed out that he had more goals and points than any Penguin not named Malkin or Crosby, including their deadline acquisitions.

Unfortunately, he's really regressed this season and is not playing up to the contract he has.

He is definitely not untouchable except he'd be willing to waive his NTC, but who really wants to be traded away from what is considered a Cup-Contender for years to come.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Kaktus*

If Flyers are making a power move at the dead line I would look into Hartnell for Tuomo Ruutu type of trade. If there is interest on both sides. Not straight up of course, I think Hartnell is a better player and he does not have health issues.

Maybe we can grab Cullen or even Whitney by adding a pick or a prospect.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
this past summer, under a different handle, I suggested hartnell was an undisciplined, glorified 3rd line wing. I suggested he'd be good trade bait and I was absolutely vilified. 53 games in and I still feel the same way about Nott Smartnell. question is, am I still the only one tired of seeing this mop-headed moron take one dumb penalty after the next? I know what he brings to the team, and I appreciate his size and grit around the net, but I just dont feel he's worth the 4.2 million price tag.
He should be absolutely touchable. The questions are

A) who the **** wants him?

B) will the big red waive his NTC?

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 02-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
He should be absolutely touchable. The questions are

A) who the **** wants him?

B) will the big redwaive his NTC?
Montreal fans apparently want him. They've made that abundantly clear. They just want to give up D'Agostini + White + 2nd for him.

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 02-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote