HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Taking hitting out of the game?

Old
02-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Sens1Canes2

vCash: 500
Taking hitting out of the game?

Absolutely awesome article on tsn.ca by Bob McKenzie, concerning the retarded notion that if you crush someone with a legal hit, you are basically summoned by the other team to fight.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=308652

Quote:
I am often told that we must be very careful we don't “take hitting out of the game.”

I am not sure that's possible. It's hockey, after all. Hitting is such an intrinsic part of it that I can't imagine there's a rule change or interpretation that would "take hitting out of the game."

But if the goal is to make sure hitting stays in the game, can someone explain to me, please, the curious case of Boston defenceman Mark Stuart.

On Saturday against the Los Angeles Kings, Stuart delivered a well-timed, open-ice hit on Los Angeles King star Anze Kopitar. It was a clean but crushing blow.

Immediately after the hit, the Kings' very fine forward Wayne Simmonds immediately challenged Stuart to a fight and Stuart obliged by dropping the gloves. As it turned out, Stuart broke his pinky finger in the fight. He will be out a number of weeks now and the Bruins will be without a defenceman who was playing quite well.

And for what? Getting into a fight that was started because of a clean, open-ice hit?
It continues on. I highly recommend clicking on the link and reading more.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
That's why I love Bob, for the most part his takes on issues like this are prettymuch spot on. You used to see teams taking note of hits like that and going after the player that delivered it and/or going after the other teams star players in response. Instead, you get fights between the player involved and someone that was not involved all the time.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That's why I love Bob, for the most part his takes on issues like this are prettymuch spot on. You used to see teams taking note of hits like that and going after the player that delivered it and/or going after the other teams star players in response. Instead, you get fights between the player involved and someone that was not involved all the time.
True..but as Bob pointed out, this isn't new. This really started to creep into the back in the 70s and 80s. I got to see Gretzky play a couple of times in the old Forum in MTL years back when I lived up north. If anyone even breathed on him, someone from his team was there to stick up for him right away.

Unfortunately, the mentality of "take his number down and get him later" hasn't really been in existence in full force for for quite a while. Now days, it is even worse. With the Salary Cap and expansion, I can see why though (even if I don't agree with it). Teams can be centered around a couple of Star players who take up a big chunk of the cap. Lose one of those players to a big hit, and the teams chances of succeeding are very low.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote