HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Team 990 Poll Rebuild or Be middle of the Pack forever

View Poll Results: Rebuild or Go for Broke?
Rebuild 3-5 years with New Management that can properly develop players. 66 75.86%
Try to trade for players like Boyes, Kovalchuk, etc... and Make the playoffs with what we have. 21 24.14%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
DeVries*

vCash: 500
Rebuild. 5 years plan can no longer work in the NHL if you always stay in that middle pack, edge of mediocrity, eliminated in first round, ordinary first round pick pattern.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Frankenheimer

The other thing about a rebuilding approach is that you need to get lucky as well. If you gut your team, nothing guarantees you're going to end up with a high draft pick. You can't ask your team to tank. So let's say you gut the team and they continue to play mediocre hockey and you continue to get mid round picks? Then what? You end up with nothing. Let's face it, Washington and Pitt got lucky, too. They each ended up with top two picks for years, and not only that ended up with generational talent. You might end up with a Partick Stefan as well. The reality is that in a 30 team, salary-cap NHL, we're going to be lucky to win a cup once every 30 years from now on. That's the new reality and there's nothing Montreal, for all its glorious past, can do about it. We're in the same boat as everyone else.

So, grit your teeth and cheer. Maybe one of these two young goalies will take us far this year, plus we have an interesting group of players that could do some damage if they get in the playoffs. 8th seeds have just as much of a shot at the cup as the 1st seed. Better to be in the playoffs than out.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:39 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket#9 View Post
Unofrtunately, hoping for a quick fix solution like that isnt gonna get us nowhere

unfortunately with the contracts Gainey gave and took on we don't have much space to rebuild. I really just think Jm system doesnt suit the players we brought in. It relys to much on our goalies playing out of their heads. They are too young for that. Another point of his system is having good special teams. The habs don't generate enough offense to get Power plays. It just isn't a good mix.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
In 1999-2000, I went with option 1. After 10 years of management going with option 2, I'm still stuck at option 1.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:55 PM
DeadPool

Time to rebuild. Blow up this team. We don't want another decade of being a borderline playoff team with no Conference final appearance.

DeadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Kjell Dahlin

The last thing this team needs, it's another rebuild. What about some stability on the ice and behind the bench for a change?

However, the status quo is definitely not working.

The way I see it (warning: I do have strong bias in favour of size/grits!)...

Add two players with size upfront, make room for a 6' 206 pnds right –handed D that can move the puck well – Subban – and 2010-11 should be very interesting.

a. A top 2 lines player with size: let go Plekanec (trade or let him walk) and use the money to sign/obtain a bigger top2 lines forward. I have a strong bias in favour of size/grits so I think going down the Smurf path, for 4-6 years, with Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri and Plekanec (4 players that I like btw) would be detrimental to this organisation.

b. A 6' 206 pnds right–handed D that can move the puck well: ship Spacek or Hamrlik away: make room for Subban and free some cap space.

c. A bottom 2 lines player with size/grits: sign one bottom 6 UFA... with size/grits.

Problem solved! Easy eh?

- Top 6 -

Pouliot (can play C btw)
Gomez
(Plekanec out; player with size here)
Gionta
Cammalleri
Andrei Kostitsyn

- Bottom 6 –

Moen
Lapierre
S. Kostitsyn
Pacioretty
A UFA à la (similar to) Kostopoulos, Bégin, Torres...
White or Conboy

Markov – O'Byrne
(Hamrlik or Spacek) – Subban
Gill – Gorges

Halak or Price

Hell to boy scouts!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Fozz

I want to see this team win without going through a painful "suckandrebuild" phase. If teams like the Redwings and Sharks can do it, why couldn't we?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I want to see this team win without going through a painful "suckandrebuild" phase. If teams like the Redwings and Sharks can do it, why couldn't we?
You forgot the Devils.

There are three models to achieve success right now:

1 - the tanking - Pens, Caps, Hawks. Even the Lightning (vinny was a nr. 1 pick after all). You know you will start sucking again once you have to put those picks under contract.

2 - good scouting, development, management and coaching (Devils + Redwings)

3 - pray for a lucky, aligned stars, season + series with an out of this world perfomance of your goalie (Canes and Ducks).

I vote for nr.2

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote