HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

ECHL age limit?

Old
09-27-2009, 09:06 AM
hockeyd00d

vCash: 500
ECHL age limit?

Hey does anyone know if theres an age limit to the ECHL, or a max years of eligibility? Thanks a lot

hockeyd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 11:21 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Min age is 20.

I don't recall a max # of vets that can suit up (ala AHL).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:08 PM
hockeyd00d

So you have to be at least 20 to play in the ECHL, no max age, or number of years of eligibility like the CIS?

Wondering how a player would go about to get into the ECHL since theres no draft..I guess you`d have to contact teams with a video of yourself or something? Unless they had scouts in your area which is highly doubtful

Old
09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
luciousharris

Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyd00d View Post
So you have to be at least 20 to play in the ECHL, no max age, or number of years of eligibility like the CIS?

Wondering how a player would go about to get into the ECHL since theres no draft..I guess you`d have to contact teams with a video of yourself or something? Unless they had scouts in your area which is highly doubtful
Normally players get assigned from the AHL. Or guys can move up from the lower leagues...the one thing that I noticed this year is the number of free agent camps for the ECHL. There are four ECHL teams holding free agent camps this sesaon.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

With NHL-affiliated ECHL teams, they also get the benefit of the pro NHL scouts who might recommend someone, and/or suggest a NHL/AHL camp invitee might be a good pick up.

Old
09-27-2009, 02:50 PM
hockeyd00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
Normally players get assigned from the AHL. Or guys can move up from the lower leagues...the one thing that I noticed this year is the number of free agent camps for the ECHL. There are four ECHL teams holding free agent camps this sesaon.
Where can I find out more information on these ECHL camps and the teams hosting them?

I am a goaltender in lower levels of Junior, looking to try to take it to the next step but I will be 21 in July..therefore CJHL, or anything like Major Junior is out of the question..I was trying to think about a way through the ECHL I could further my career..but im not sure where to start (in terms of getting on or the process of getting recruited by one of these teams)

Old
09-27-2009, 04:19 PM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Min age is 20.

I don't recall a max # of vets that can suit up (ala AHL).
Wrong, 18 is the minimum age, although if a player has Major Junior eligibility left he can't be assigned to the ECHL, and there haven't been any 18 year olds who have decided to turn pro by signing in the ECHL in a long time. Generally, the 20 year olds you see in the ECHL are MJ players who no one wanted for their overage year.

The max number of vets on an active roster is four.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Holly Gunning

The occasional 18 or 19-year-old is from Europe.

Viktor Dovgan played at 19.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89291

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:55 PM
luciousharris

Quote:
Where can I find out more information on these ECHL camps and the teams hosting them?

I am a goaltender in lower levels of Junior, looking to try to take it to the next step but I will be 21 in July..therefore CJHL, or anything like Major Junior is out of the question..I was trying to think about a way through the ECHL I could further my career..but im not sure where to start (in terms of getting on or the process of getting recruited by one of these teams)
http://www.tulsaoilers.com/team/free-agent-camp/
http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic....cat=1&id=19336
http://www.socal-hockey.com/forums/i...howtopic=17613

These camps could help. I would start by sending out a resume to some of the ECHL teams. Teams that were at the bottom. The higher standing teams usually have goalies being sent down from the NHL or AHL. If you have any video highlights that would help ALLOT! Also ask your coach to help you. Maybe he has connections. It aslo wouldn't hurt to send your resume to some of the CHL and SPHL teams.

Last edited by luciousharris: 09-27-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old
09-27-2009, 06:23 PM
SPIDER1

Also, while the ECHL is best and most ideal AA league to join, don't count out trying for the CHL or IHL too. If you perform well there, you could always make the jump to the ECHL later, as many talented CHLers and IHLers do.

SPIDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:04 AM
hockeyd00d

I would assume while playing in the IHL or ECHL..you couldn't pursue studies at the college or university level? Anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Old
09-28-2009, 08:58 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
I would assume while playing in the IHL or ECHL..you couldn't pursue studies at the college or university level? Anyone have any first hand experience with this?
First hand, no. But with game schedules such that you could be traveling for 1-2 weeks at a time (and miss the corresponding classes), it would make it fairly difficult without either taking correspondence courses or a very understanding teacher (and someone willing to take notes).

Old
09-28-2009, 08:59 AM
luciousharris

Quote:
Not unless you do it online. Which is not a bad idea. With the hectice schedule and team functions it would be almost impossible to attend class. But then again Randy Greg became a Doctor while playing for the Edmonton Oilers.

Old
09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
hockeyd00d

So I guess if anyone wanted to play in the ECHL, or IHL..they would just show up to an open tryout one year and thats it right? Just trying to gather some information for next year

Old
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
So I guess if anyone wanted to play in the ECHL, or IHL..they would just show up to an open tryout one year and thats it right? Just trying to gather some information for next year
Sure. There was an entire thread talking about open try outs, etc.: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=613150

Old
10-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Zowert

Quote:

Alright, I have experience in juniors, college and minor pro so I feel I should give what little advice I can offer.

I'll be real with you, your chances of just walking into an ECHL Free-Agent camp and making the roster are pretty slim. In my experience, a lot of ECHL teams that held open tryouts only allowed 'invited' goaltenders only. To get invited you have to send a resume or be scouted. Even then, you're up against tenders that have played in the AHL and even a few that may have been an NHL backup.

A low level junior resume isn't going to get you anywhere, even if you have 20 shutouts in a season because you're just not facing professionally skilled shooters like you are in the ECHL and above. This doesn't mean you can't work your way into the pros though. If you truly feel you have the skill and dedication to make it as a professional goaltender, then you have two options...

Option A: Go to college first. That's right, even if you play NCAA DIII, you'll face some guys that can truly SNIPE. At this level you can hone your skills and you will get four more years to really develop. Also, this is four more seasons to put on your resume and four more chances for you to get noticed. Scouts are all over the NCAA and CIS. Start emailing some coaches and find out when their walk-on tryouts are. USCHO.com is a good site for contacts.

Option B: Start low, aim high. Chances are you won't even get a look at an ECHL free agent camp. That's okay, because there are plenty of other lower level pro leagues that serve as developmental and feeders for the ECHL. You have a better shot at making an SPHL, NEPHL or AAHL team. Once you make these teams, you'll get to work on your confidence and eventually if you keep the puck out of the net, a 'AA' team will come calling. 5 out of the 6 teams in the AAHL are affiliated with IHL teams. So if you make a team like the Madison Ice Muskies and do particularly well, their IHL parent, the Flint Generals might give you the nod. Same with the SPHL. Each year a few dozen players from the SPHL move on to the CHL, ECHL and IHL. All you're doing is trying to get your foot in the door...

Anyway. You would be wise to go to school. A four year degree is a lot more valuable than any amount of time spent in the minors. Your chances of making a living playing hockey and retiring nicely at the end of your career are very, VERY small. I'm not saying you're a bad netminder or anything. I'm just giving you the reality of it all. There are goalies in the AHL that should be in the NHL but they're stuck playing the dreaded "numbers game". Unfortunately there is only ONE starting job on a team.

Zowert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
droller*

why on earth wouldn't you go and try to play in lower level european leagues? france, belgium, england, etc.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Lack ofmoney. Most of the low level Euro leagues don't/can't pay you. They might give you some help in finding a job but if they don't you'll need to fund it yourself. If you're a 20/21 kid out of Jrs, that'll be tough.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Alpine

Quote:

Find a Senior team.
There's no shortage of Senior AAA or A teams in Canada.
Hockey is a small community and word spreads quickly about a good player. There's many ex pros, junior or University players in Senior ranks. Pick a team near a University and attend school.
Pro scouts are all over NCAA, CIS, Major Jr and Jr A players. If you haven't had an offer try Senior first have a stand-out year and make yourself noticed.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:20 AM
hockeyd00d

Hey thanks a lot for the informative posts guys. I may as well add a little more to my situation so you guys can understand it a little better. I am a Junior A (not equivalent to Junior A outside the province of Quebec) caliber goaltender, but I never exercised or put any extra time into the game. I have been a goaltender my whole life..but never took it seriously or had some serious parental direction to help me out.

I have had many friends on my teams that are Junior AA players (equivalent to Junior B in Ontario), and faired very very very VERY well against them all the time. I believe if I actually put on some weight (I am 5'9 and 155, was 150 2 weeks ago..started working out)..and went on the ice more than twice a week, I could easy thrive in Junior AA (Junior B outside my province).

The problem is, I turned 20 this past July. I have one more year of Juniors I can play (so next year I am going to show up to a AA tryout, and I am very confident I will make the team, or if I am lucky AAA..but I am taking baby steps here). Next year is also my last year in College, then in 2011-2012 I will attend a Canadian university (hopefully make CIS). Would it be fair to say..if you cannot make a CIS team, you have pretty much no chance at a semi pro or pro career? I have two full years to develop before CIS, and if I do not make it then..then I may as well just get my degree. What do you guys think of this plan?

You may laugh, but Glen Metropolit of the Canadiens played his last years of Juniors in Junior B (Junior AA in Quebec), and then went into the ECHL. I figure, if he played Junior B, and did well (which I think I can do as well)..why can't I?

And as long as there is a sliver of an open door opportunity to live the dream, why not? I saw a lot of the teams giving open tryouts this year (which was posted by a previous user in this thread, thanks so much by the way!), were down south.

Why not drive down there in a year or two (I have a Nissan Pathfinder, I worked and payed it off the whole last year, in great shape for any 3000+mile road trip), and tryout for a team..and worse case scenerio..I don't make the cut, don't get any calls and get a good life experience out of it and a road trip (could always bring a few buds for memories and support!)?

I am an optimist, and a firm believer that anyone can do anything, if they put their mind to it (with obviously a backup plan, you never know if you get a career ending injury).

Motivational but realistic posts pertaining to my situation would be quite helpful, and I appreciate so much that has already been added.

Old
10-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot for the informative posts guys. I may as well add a little more to my situation so you guys can understand it a little better. I am a Junior A (not equivalent to Junior A outside the province of Quebec) caliber goaltender, but I never exercised or put any extra time into the game. I have been a goaltender my whole life..but never took it seriously or had some serious parental direction to help me out.

I have had many friends on my teams that are Junior AA players (equivalent to Junior B in Ontario), and faired very very very VERY well against them all the time. I believe if I actually put on some weight (I am 5'9 and 155, was 150 2 weeks ago..started working out)..and went on the ice more than twice a week, I could easy thrive in Junior AA (Junior B outside my province).

The problem is, I turned 20 this past July. I have one more year of Juniors I can play (so next year I am going to show up to a AA tryout, and I am very confident I will make the team, or if I am lucky AAA..but I am taking baby steps here). Next year is also my last year in College, then in 2011-2012 I will attend a Canadian university (hopefully make CIS). Would it be fair to say..if you cannot make a CIS team, you have pretty much no chance at a semi pro or pro career? I have two full years to develop before CIS, and if I do not make it then..then I may as well just get my degree. What do you guys think of this plan?

You may laugh, but Glen Metropolit of the Canadiens played his last years of Juniors in Junior B (Junior AA in Quebec), and then went into the ECHL. I figure, if he played Junior B, and did well (which I think I can do as well)..why can't I?

And as long as there is a sliver of an open door opportunity to live the dream, why not? I saw a lot of the teams giving open tryouts this year (which was posted by a previous user in this thread, thanks so much by the way!), were down south.

Why not drive down there in a year or two (I have a Nissan Pathfinder, I worked and payed it off the whole last year, in great shape for any 3000+mile road trip), and tryout for a team..and worse case scenerio..I don't make the cut, don't get any calls and get a good life experience out of it and a road trip (could always bring a few buds for memories and support!)?

I am an optimist, and a firm believer that anyone can do anything, if they put their mind to it (with obviously a backup plan, you never know if you get a career ending injury).

Motivational but realistic posts pertaining to my situation would be quite helpful, and I appreciate so much that has already been added.
I wouldn't say that not making a CIS team is the end of a semi-pro/pro dream. I can't speak for the OUA, as I don't have first hand knowledge, but the AUS and Canada West tend to recruit almost exclusively out of the CHL. For example, the U of S Huskies two years ago recruited the leading scorer from the WHL in Steven DaSilva. So if you are playing below Junior B level, your CIS dreams aren't probably going to pan out. I have heard from people that the CIS and ECHL are nearly equivalent levels, once you remove the NHL prospects from the ECHL. So I'm not sure that CIS is the end.

Since you are in Quebec there is one other option for you. I can't speak of pay and the chances of moving anywhere but Europe from it are slim, but you could always play in the LNAH. Since they have officially declared themselves pro, I do believe you could make a decent wage while going to school. It would be better than working in a fast food joint.

But if you are serious about becoming a professional hockey player. I'd say try the AAHL, NEPHL or SPHL first. I think by now you've probably realized that your chances of making the NHL are slim to none, so try these out and it might luck you into moving up. Play a year in these and you can probably work into the IHL and on into the ECHL. Once you play in the ECHL, you may be able to jump to Europe and play in Italy or Austria.

The last option for you, is to look into the Alberta Colleges Athletic Association (ACAA). They have men's hockey and it is at least CJHL (Junior A) quality. It allows you to hone your skills and get in touch with coaches who may have contacts at the next level. Plus it allows you to get an education, so you have something to fall back on in case the hockey career doesn't work out.

But one piece of advice, once you use up all your eligibility and have no NCAA options left, hire an agent. Agents typically have some contacts and can probably open a few doors for you that you thought were closed. Just make sure to have some film of yourself playing, so that the agents and whatnot can send these out.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:34 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
I wouldn't say that not making a CIS team is the end of a semi-pro/pro dream. I can't speak for the OUA, as I don't have first hand knowledge, but the AUS and Canada West tend to recruit almost exclusively out of the CHL. For example, the U of S Huskies two years ago recruited the leading scorer from the WHL in Steven DaSilva. So if you are playing below Junior B level, your CIS dreams aren't probably going to pan out. I have heard from people that the CIS and ECHL are nearly equivalent levels, once you remove the NHL prospects from the ECHL. So I'm not sure that CIS is the end.

Since you are in Quebec there is one other option for you. I can't speak of pay and the chances of moving anywhere but Europe from it are slim, but you could always play in the LNAH. Since they have officially declared themselves pro, I do believe you could make a decent wage while going to school. It would be better than working in a fast food joint.

But if you are serious about becoming a professional hockey player. I'd say try the AAHL, NEPHL or SPHL first. I think by now you've probably realized that your chances of making the NHL are slim to none, so try these out and it might luck you into moving up. Play a year in these and you can probably work into the IHL and on into the ECHL. Once you play in the ECHL, you may be able to jump to Europe and play in Italy or Austria.

The last option for you, is to look into the Alberta Colleges Athletic Association (ACAA). They have men's hockey and it is at least CJHL (Junior A) quality. It allows you to hone your skills and get in touch with coaches who may have contacts at the next level. Plus it allows you to get an education, so you have something to fall back on in case the hockey career doesn't work out.

But one piece of advice, once you use up all your eligibility and have no NCAA options left, hire an agent. Agents typically have some contacts and can probably open a few doors for you that you thought were closed. Just make sure to have some film of yourself playing, so that the agents and whatnot can send these out.
You are not going to make a living playing in the E, try to get into uni and play, then if you want play a few years at low level pro, i guess to experience the "lifestyle", give it a shot then move on with whatever career you have/will chose.

IF you dont make CIS, it might make it difficult to find team that will take you in the E. (having only played Jr B) Its not impossible but it will be hard. There is a hell of a lot of MJ and JrA players that cant make it or last in the E.

For a lot of guys the E is just a way to play for a few more years till they have to go into the real world.

Alot of the Sr A (AAA or whatever its called in your area) are just goon leagues, sometimes it is better to just find a beer league with an A division.

Good luck though it is always worth the try, better to try and fail then to not try at all.

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 10-23-2009 at 06:41 AM.
CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
penguinschick13

there is an age limit? hmm.... go grizzles

penguinschick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:

There's no set number of years, but there is a point where you do hit veteran status, which is around 250 regular season games (or about 3.5 seasons). I think this number used to be lower, like around 200 games, but don't quote me. These games aren't limited to ECHL. As long as it is a professional league (IHL, CHL, AHL, etc.), all games accumulate to your veteran status total. The 4 veteran rule is probably one of the reasons why you don't see the Rod Taylors and the the Chris Valicevics, the players who were ECHL ringers who played on one team for a decade plus.

Why is this number significant? Once you pass your 250 games and are 24 years old or older, you are considered a veteran. Your ECHL team is only able to hold 4 veterans on a roster. This includes both regular season and playoffs. This total is used prior to the start of the season. For example, if you have 235 games and play 60 games during the season, you will not be viewed as a veteran until the following season.

You did say you were a goaltender, so I'm not sure there is a definitive rule on games played for a goalie. If there's anybody who used to be a goalie in the ECHL, they might have a better idea.

Last edited by iamjs: 02-02-2010 at 02:24 PM.
iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote