HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings made offer for Whitney

Old
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Whitney obviously doesn't want to play here, so move on. I don't like the idea of giving up Voynov/Teubert and a 2nd round pick for him anyway. Martinez and a 2nd would have been as far as I would have went.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-n...s-by-position/

Take your pick...Modin, Nolan, Svatos, Stempniak, Ponikarovsky....
Belanger

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I've heard a lot about LA leading the race for player X in the last few years...and it's never amounted to anything.

I don't doubt that DL is among the front-runners for Kovalchuk nor that LA has some of the most attractive pieces to offer in a trade; however, I do question whether or not the organization will be willing to sufficiently up the ante when things really heat up approaching the deadline. There are a lot of GM's out there who go nuts this time of year and Dean's not one of them. I can envision someone else caving and throwing the farm at Waddell a lot more easily than I can envision DL doing it.
I still wouldn't be shocked to see Chicago go for broke this season and send a package that is centered around Versteeg and Barker. I wouldn't want Lombardi to put together a deal that would top that offer.

Old
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I've heard a lot about LA leading the race for player X in the last few years...and it's never amounted to anything.

I don't doubt that DL is among the front-runners for Kovalchuk nor that LA has some of the most attractive pieces to offer in a trade; however, I do question whether or not the organization will be willing to sufficiently up the ante when things really heat up approaching the deadline. There are a lot of GM's out there who go nuts this time of year and Dean's not one of them. I can envision someone else caving and throwing the farm at Waddell a lot more easily than I can envision DL doing it.
I've said all along I trust DL to do the right thing and that includes not to do anything at all.

But going back to your original statement, this recent news in no way suggests we are not leading the reace for Whitney and IK. I understand we might not get either one of them.

Still want Kovalchuk badly, especially a signed Kovalchuk. =] I think DL will do whatever it takes to bring Kovalchuk to LA and sign him as long as its reasonable.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I still wouldn't be shocked to see Chicago go for broke this season and send a package that is centered around Versteeg and Barker. I wouldn't want Lombardi to put together a deal that would top that offer.
Neither would I. If Kovalchuk came with an extension attached, it might be a bit of a different story, but all signs point to him being intent on heading to FA and using his KHL options as leverage.

For a team like the Hawks, it might make sense to take a substantial risk and give up core assets for a rental. For a team like the Kings? Not so much.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:12 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

So much for that idea. I don't mind the guy as a rental, or a rental +1 year but 3 years? Forget it.

Nice of Whitney to **** over his current team in the process.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Ollie Weeks

So... Raffi Torres?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
santiclaws

I couldn't possibly blame anyone for not wanting to come to LA as a UFA two or three years ago, including Whitney. If you cared about winning, why would you've come to LA? That said, 3-year deal for Whitney ain't gonna work. Of the remaining pending UFA's, I'd love to see Stempniak or Belanger here and if not them, Ponikarovsky.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
HeadInjury

All I read into this is that he didn't want to come to LA unless he got something above and beyond what he could expect to get in free agency. He has the no-trade clause and has every right to use it.

HeadInjury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
greengiant91

**** him; I agree we don't need Cliff Ronning Jr

greengiant91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Screw this shorty!

And I wouldn't have been happy giving up either Voynov or Teubert. I realize the Kings are going to have to pay to play but a (former) first rounder for a 37 year old shorty pants on pace for 25 goals? No thanks.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Johnny Utah

How about Purcell and a 2nd or 3rd for Poni? Toronto needs a forward and scoring and cheap salary...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Wow, guess that's not happening. . . **** him

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:24 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
I couldn't possibly blame anyone for not wanting to come to LA as a UFA two or three years ago, including Whitney. If you cared about winning, why would you've come to LA? That said, 3-year deal for Whitney ain't gonna work. Of the remaining pending UFA's, I'd love to see Stempniak or Belanger here and if not them, Ponikarovsky.
Agree with all of this. I've always admired Stempniak (for some reason, he seemed to play really well vs. LA when he was a Blue, at least to my eyes), and I guess you and I are among the few who wouldn't mind Belanger back, although I'm not sure right at the moment where he'd fit...

The Hegemony Consul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
kingsfan25

Granted, TO is not the easiest situation to play in. However, Stempniak has done nothing since becoming a Leaf...I'd go after Ponikarovski over him and that would probably be as a last resort.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
They can look for cheaper options elsewhere to give us a slight boost, and/or just keep riding our offer for Kovy and see if we can wear Atlanta down, I really doubt they will hang onto him much longer. After he is dealt, and in the case it should not be us, just pick up a cheaper option, and look forward to free agency.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:49 PM
William H Bonney

Wow. My desire for Whitney on this team is now gone.

For starters, we'd be crazy to give him a 3-year deal, especially considering what he's making now and that I doubt he's looking to take a significant pay cut. A one year extension? Sure, but three isn't smart.

Second, and this wasn't specified but that package of a 2nd Round Pick + Teubert/Voinov for Whitney IMO is an overpayment, with or without the contract extension he wants.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 02-02-2010 at 07:50 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
So much for that idea. I don't mind the guy as a rental, or a rental +1 year but 3 years? Forget it.

Nice of Whitney to **** over his current team in the process.
Taking a page from Rob Blake's book. Whitney might find that Carolina doesn't want him back either unless it is on a cheap one year deal.

Old
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
He must really hate LA. Just accept the deal and sign with whoever in July. Sounds like he only wants to play for Pittsburg (not that I blame him).

Dean will probably just let this team ride out the season and go for some FA this summer.

Are there any top 4 defensemen available via FA thus summer?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:00 PM
SFKingshomer

Who cares, the bigger need is a top 4 defenseman.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I always said........... don't trade for guys over 30
alone the request for Teubert/Voinov and a 2nd is insane.

Just for the sense of Hockey
'
you trade away a guy with 15 years NHL hockey ahead of him
for a guy who is done and will last around 1-2 years...

who is the winner of this trade????

In my world the canes have to put some pics on Teubert/Voynov to lure them out.
I'm pretty sure Lombardi thinks the same way
The time of insane KIngs GM's are finaly over.

The opponent GM's will notice that very soon.

My prediction.........

Nothing earth shaking will happens at deadline.........
And we will land Kovalchuk in summer.

And why should we do something this year????

The biggest issue is the Coach not the players.
The player proofed game by game that talent is not the Problem.
We score our goals by 10% by luck and 90% by pure skill.

We have to start scoring goals by outsmarting the opponent team and this is why Murray is wrong here.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I wouldn't let this decision impact your outlook of Whitney. He is just looking out for himself and his family. It is obvious that he doesn't really want to move, but will do so if the conditions are right. He has been with Carolina for a while and is quite settled there, in order for him to uproot his family, he likely just wants to make sure that wherever he goes will be the last time. It sucks for the team, but makes sense for him personally and his family. When you receive a no trade clause, you are capable of making choices centered around yourself rather than those around you.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
lumbergh

People on this board love to overrate our own prospects. Whitney is a proven commodity. He scores big goals, is tremendously skilled, smart, and a wizard with the puck. He's a better version of Williams. With Williams out, Whitney could be the first line winger that gets the Kings into the playoffs and maybe deep into the playoffs. I'd rather have clutch scoring than size.

If it takes a Teubert and a pick, so be it.

The problem with this, if it's true, is the three year extension. No way Lombardi straps himself to a chair like that.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
LeanSixSigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Wow. My desire for Whitney on this team is now gone.

For starters, we'd be crazy to give him a 3-year deal, especially considering what he's making not and that I doubt he's looking to take a significant pay cut. A one year extension? Sure, but three isn't smart.

Second, and this wasn't specified but that package of a 2nd Round Pick + Teubert/Voinov for Whitney IMO is an overpayment, with or without the contract extension he wants.
^^
This

LeanSixSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I wouldn't let this decision impact your outlook of Whitney. He is just looking out for himself and his family. It is obvious that he doesn't really want to move, but will do so if the conditions are right. He has been with Carolina for a while and is quite settled there, in order for him to uproot his family, he likely just wants to make sure that wherever he goes will be the last time. It sucks for the team, but makes sense for him personally and his family. When you receive a no trade clause, you are capable of making choices centered around yourself rather than those around you.
That makes no sense when he is willing to be a rental player for Pittsburgh but not for L.A.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote