HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#57 - 02.02.2010 | New York Rangers @ Los Angeles Kings | 10:30 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
02-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Yes. Outside of Henrik and Gaborik, he is one of the few bright spots on an otherwise dark roster.
Staal has been outstanding as well. As has Anisimov if youre looking at overall game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Staal has been outstanding as well. As has Anisimov if youre looking at overall game.
Once Staal adds a physical element to his game I'll start calling it outstanding. But considering he has zero offensive ability from the blue line, doesn't clear a crease or take the body with any consistency and he's simply a good shut down d-man, I'm not ready to call him outstanding.

Anisimov shows me glimpses of briliance..we'll see on him.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Once Staal adds a physical element to his game I'll start calling it outstanding. But considering he has zero offensive ability from the blue line, doesn't clear a crease or take the body with any consistency and he's simply a good shut down d-man, I'm not ready to call him outstanding.

Anisimov shows me glimpses of briliance..we'll see on him.
hmm 48th in the league among defenseman in terms of points...better than Letang, Jack Johnson, Seabrook, Morris, some guy named Bouwmeester...

yeah, zero offensive ability.

Old
02-03-2010, 12:49 AM
mrhockey193195

Just back from the game. Pretty pissed off, but I guess losing an away game I go to certainly is better than losing a game at the garden that I go to. Some quick thoughts:

-Lundqvist was obviously the best Ranger. He gave up some iffy rebounds, but none of them were awful and the defense was there to clear them all away. The two goals were not his fault. Great game by him all around.

-Avery was the best forward. Great game, had good control of the puck, great cycling. Dubinsky and Callahan were so-so. This was one of the rare games where I did not notice Cally's presence on the ice that much, aside from his great penalty killing. Dubinsky was great one shift, and lazy/invisible the next. Overall, good 3rd-line type game from what was our "second line".

-Del Zotto played well, but he's definitely hitting that rookie funk. Sometimes he's overthinking plays, sometimes he seems nervous, other times he's missing his breakout passes. I guess this should have been expected over the course of a long season.

-Solid game by Staal. I thought Girardi played well, though some of you guys are getting on his case. I'm not sure about who missed what assignments on the LA goals, so I obviously missed some stuff at the game that you guys got on TV. But from what I noticed, Danny was fine.

-Prospal was showing little to no hustle. Jokinen was hustling, but looked incredibly mediocre with the puck. Drury was typical Drury (i.e. great PKer who does nothing offensively). Overall, I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of Offensive chances this game.

-Gilroy is afraid to get touched. I'm so sick of seeing him go behind the net to play the puck, only to let up and lose positioning because an opposing player is coming after him. ****ing take the hit and move the puck.

-Rangers played a good road 1st period, and very very good first 15 minutes of the second period, and then stopped playing. The third period was not good, until that last 2 minutes.

Even so, considering we hit two posts, the game could've gone either way. So the sky isn't falling. But still, I ****ing hate losing games that I go to.

Last edited by mrhockey193195: 02-03-2010 at 12:57 AM.
mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
hmm 48th in the league among defenseman in terms of points...better than Letang, Jack Johnson, Seabrook, Morris, some guy named Bouwmeester...

yeah, zero offensive ability.
I dont know what happened to Bouwmeester this year.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Ail
UH82CIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Just back from the game. Pretty pissed off, but I guess losing an away game I go to certainly is better than losing a game at the garden that I go to. Some quick thoughts:

-Lundqvist was obviously the best Ranger. He gave up some iffy rebounds, but none of them were awful and the defense was there to clear them all away. The two goals were not his fault. Great game by him all around.

-Avery was the best forward. Great game, had good control of the puck, great cycling. Dubinsky and Callahan were so-so. This was one of the rare games where I did not notice Cally's presence on the ice that much, aside from his great penalty killing. Dubinsky was great one shift, and lazy/invisible the next. Overall, good 3rd-line type game from what was our "second line".

-Del Zotto played well, but he's definitely hitting that rookie funk. Sometimes he's overthinking plays, sometimes he seems nervous, other times he's missing his breakout passes. I guess this should have been expected over the course of a long season.

-Solid game by Staal. I thought Girardi played well, though some of you guys are getting on his case. I'm not sure about who missed what assignments on the LA goals, so I obviously missed some stuff at the game that you guys got on TV. But from what I noticed, Danny was fine.

-Prospal was showing little to no hustle. Jokinen was hustling, but looked incredibly mediocre with the puck. Drury was typical Drury (i.e. great PKer who does nothing offensively). Overall, I was incredibly disappointed by the lack of Offensive chances this game.

-Gilroy is afraid to get touched. I'm so sick of seeing him go behind the net to play the puck, only to let up and lose positioning because an opposing player is coming after him. ****ing take the hit and move the puck.

-Rangers played a good road 1st period, and very very good first 15 minutes of the second period, and then stopped playing. The third period was not good, until that last 2 minutes.

Even so, considering we hit two posts, the game could've gone either way. So the sky isn't falling. But still, I ****ing hate losing games that I go to.
Agree with the majority of this. Had this been an Eastern conference team, outside of maybe the Caps, or a hot Sens club, I think they would have found a way to win. However it's still a loss, and the incoming games are not going to be a walk in the park. I'm glad they at least got one win out of this trip. Let's hope they get something out of Olli next game, although I'm not holding my breath.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:11 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
That isn't something you want to ask a lot of LA men. You just never know what you may be in for...lol.

This comment cracked me up. It reminded me of Tropic Thunder.

"It's OK, it's Hollywood. Everyone was gay at some point"

So looks like Prust is already a fan favorite. Had a feeling he was going to fit in quite nicely since he does is rarely seen from anyone else on this roster.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:12 AM
The Thomas J.*

Disapointing..........New faces same result. Will see what happens.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:14 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Dubinsky isn't doing much out there.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:15 AM
clmetsfan

Torts deserves the blame for this loss more than anyone. Putting five forwards out for a 5-4 PP, one of whom is playing his first game with the team, was just outright stupid. And why on Earth did he try to get cute in a 0-0 game on the road?? There are just so many reasons why that was a horrendous decision. When a coach puts his players in a poor position to succeed, he deserves more blame than they do.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:42 AM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Kings Vision: 2/2/10 - Post Game Interviews

2/2/10 - Post Game - Rangers

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Callahan, Jokinen, Lundqvist and Tortorella of the Rangers spoke with the media following the game on 2/2/10.

Click HERE to watch!

2/2/10 - Post Game - Kings

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Kopitar, Greene, Stoll and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 2/2/10.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:53 AM
gravey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Torts deserves the blame for this loss more than anyone. Putting five forwards out for a 5-4 PP, one of whom is playing his first game with the team, was just outright stupid.
I was at the game. I couldn't agree more! Even more glaring to me is that Gilroy was left on the bench in that situation. He's supposed to be our 2nd best offensive defenseman. If Torts is unwilling to use him on the PP when Del Zotto is in the box, then bring up Sanguinetti (when he heals). Let him develop there so you can build something and have options down the road. Otherwise, you're wasting MY time.

This all said - it all pails in comparison to the team wide tentativeness, fearfulness, and softness. So much for Tortorella.

Okay I get it, chip the puck in deep, chip the puck out of the d zone. But not EVERYWHERE. Not when you're losing MOST of the battles. Not when you're in a shooting position. Not blindly to areas of the ice where you have no teammates nearby. They never, ever get to the difficult areas of the ice. Chip, chip, chip. Soft, soft, soft. When everyone on the team handles the puck like Brian Boyle -- there's a big problem.

I know this team has a lack of skill issue - but I cannot believe how "below their skill level" they are playing. At least when Renney coached they blocked a ton of shots and protected their crease--that's something.

Finally: If I were to take over as GM tomorrow - I would keep Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Gaborik, Prust, Lundqvist and Johnson and then dump or upgrade the rest. That's only 9 out of 22 players. This team lacks 3 top forwards and 1-2 top defenseman. And a coach with his head in reality. They are THAT far off. I was less angry when I didn't have to watch it so clearly in HD...

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
I was at the game. I couldn't agree more! Even more glaring to me is that Gilroy was left on the bench in that situation. He's supposed to be our 2nd best offensive defenseman. If Torts is unwilling to use him on the PP when Del Zotto is in the box, then bring up Sanguinetti (when he heals). Let him develop there so you can build something and have options down the road. Otherwise, you're wasting MY time.

This all said - it all pails in comparison to the team wide tentativeness, fearfulness, and softness. So much for Tortorella.

Okay I get it, chip the puck in deep, chip the puck out of the d zone. But not EVERYWHERE. Not when you're losing MOST of the battles. Not when you're in a shooting position. Not blindly to areas of the ice where you have no teammates nearby. They never, ever get to the difficult areas of the ice. Chip, chip, chip. Soft, soft, soft. When everyone on the team handles the puck like Brian Boyle -- there's a big problem.

I know this team has a lack of skill issue - but I cannot believe how "below their skill level" they are playing. At least when Renney coached they blocked a ton of shots and protected their crease--that's something.

Finally: If I were to take over as GM tomorrow - I would keep Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Gaborik, Prust, Lundqvist and Johnson and then dump or upgrade the rest. That's only 9 out of 22 players. This team lacks 3 top forwards and 1-2 top defenseman. And a coach with his head in reality. They are THAT far off. I was less angry when I didn't have to watch it so clearly in HD...
totally disagree with that....and actually i disagree with a lot of this...all in all I thought we played a pretty solid road game, especially since we were playing with 2 new guys who had a load of crap to deal with over the past 72 hours, and we hit 2 posts.

with that said, i do agree that it was a bonehead play to put the 5 forwards on, when it happened i was absolutely shocked and pissed...

Old
02-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

People keep saying "we hit two posts!" as if every team in the NHL doesn't hit posts every night. The fact that we hit TWO posts does not mean we were any closer or more deserving of winning this game. Just goes to show how starved for offense this team truly is...

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Ail
UH82CIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsVision View Post
2/2/10 - Post Game - Rangers

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Callahan, Jokinen, Lundqvist and Tortorella of the Rangers spoke with the media following the game on 2/2/10.

Click HERE to watch!

2/2/10 - Post Game - Kings

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Kopitar, Greene, Stoll and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 2/2/10.

Click HERE to watch!
Thank you! Much appreciated friend.

Old
02-03-2010, 02:18 AM
gravey9

Inferno - just because the game was close doesn't mean we played well. by definition a good road game is when you limit chances and generate a consistent forecheck - uh, we did neither.

I was at the game. And I cannot even begin to describe how different it is when the kings were in the rangers zone vs when the rangers were in the kings zone. The Kings were able to come off the boards, they drove to the net, they had tons of opportunities in the slot, they scored twice off the rush, they had several point shots that could have easily gone in. They were considerably more dangerous than the Rangers. And what makes this Rangers team different than the other post-lockout versions, is that they are loose defensively.

Until the last 4 minutes of the game the number of scoring chances was beyond lopsided. That's not because the kings played great defensively, either.

If not for several saves by lundqvuist, this game is 4 or 5-1. THAT was not a 2-1 game I watched. If it were possible, I'd be happy to go over the game tape with you and prove every point. It was like what watching a road exhibition game where the away team brings it's minor leaguers. It was that obvious in the arena.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:41 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa Shark View Post
Yo pass me that Kings Kool-Aid. I'm a believer.

And Kings fans, was that the Briggs playing at the end of the game?
Yup -

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:42 AM
RightKinger

Good game guys...good luck the rest of the way.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
I'm jumping on the L.A. bandwagon in the playoffs. That's for sure.

You guys are finally gonna make it.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks3rdLineCenter View Post
It's out already? I thought it was going to be released in March.
The BETA is out for PC... and the demos are out for X360, and soon for the PS3 as well on Feb 4th.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Ail
UH82CIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Same.

Old
02-03-2010, 03:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

we gave up what...20...21 shots on goal? something like that?

thats a good road game.

Old
02-03-2010, 04:30 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

thats a good road game.
We played a very good road game. Tortorella didn't coach one.

Torts talks about overcoaching. This team is undercoached. There's no systematic gameplan. What the HELL do they work on in PRACTICE? Every line looks different, and the lines don't even stay together for more than a period. What's most frightening is how slowly we come out of our own zone. Unless we break up a play quickly and go in transition (and pretty much only Gaborik's line), our D get the puck and stand still looking for someone to pass to. Redden comes gliding around the net and shoots the puck around the boards every single time. We have virtually no set breakouts as a team unless Del Zotto is launching it.

I was a huge supporter of Tortorella, but he's been extremely unimpressive pretty much since day 1. He's a lot of talk and pizzazz, but he doesn't hold himself accountable and he contradicts himself. Then when asked to explain further, he simply says "I'm not going to get into that with you." My patience for his attitude is wearing thin. Remember this line Torts. "It's about simply getting it done." Well you're not getting it done, my friend.

Can anyone tell me what Torts said in the post-game? Was he asked about putting 5 forwards out in a scoreless road game? I'm just curious to see how he dodged the responsibility for that doozie of a move.

Before I get flamed: No, I don't think firing Torts is a solution right now. I don't think a coaching change at this point is going to turn this team into something it's not. I'm still rooting for Torts to get his act together and build an identity here. I just haven't seen much at all to be impressed with thus far.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Chimp

Quote:

thats a good road game.
There are still 2 teams on the ice and we were clearly the worse one. So it doesn't matter really.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:36 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

thats a good road game.
dude, they took like 50 shots. many just missing. it was like a shooting gallery.

we were dominated by the kings for long stretches.

i would classify last nights game under "just trying to survive"

without hank, we lose 5-1

oh and olli with the -2. welcome to ny dude

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote