HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you think (if anyone) should have their jersey retired for the Flyers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2010, 10:31 PM
  #51
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I think Hextall deserves it as well. After all he revolutionizing the position of goaltender.
No, he was a great puckhandler but an average goalie on the whole of his career. Not good enough for number retirement. HHOF out of the question completely.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
  #52
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I think Hextall deserves it as well. After all he revolutionizing the position of goaltender.
Yeah. And I mean, as much as people will probably get mad when I say this...It isn't all about stats. It's about a special player that when you think of a team and especially that number, you think of that player. Hextall is a legend and not because of his stats but because of the way he played the game. His puck handling, his maniacal on ice demeanor, his goals, and so forth and so on. You can argue that guys like Howe and LeClair or Propp deserve it (and I'd be in agreement) but I can see arguments against them. With Hextall the only argument I can think of is that his stats aren't there, but like I said, that isn't what it is all about. It's about being a legend, and Hextall was (is) a legend. You ask a hockey fan who Mark Howe is and they may not know (or only know because he is Gordie Howe's son). You ask who John LeClair is and he may already be forgotten. No one forgets Hextall and that is the type of player who deserves to be up there IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
  #53
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seward, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,240
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

I'm not saying the guy is a top-5 all-time D, but he's a borderline top-25 and by far the best d-man to play for the franchise as well as the best player for the club during the 80s.
I do think Howe is the best defender this team has had, but it's not by far. IMO Desjardins is in a similar boat as Howe. Eric would have put up a ton of points if he had played in the 80s and is not that far behind Howe in terms of best defenseman for the Flyers. Also some of the guys from the 70s should not be overlooked either.

But when it comes down to it, I think the Flyers have a great system set up in terms of honoring their former players. They have the team Hall for guys who gave it their all for the team and really contributed to the organization on and off the ice. And then they retire the numbers of those guys who made to the Hall, as well as were huge factors in bringing the team and city the ultimate prize in hockey. I think it is a pretty fair set up and if we disagree, then we disagree.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
  #54
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah. And I mean, as much as people will probably get mad when I say this...It isn't all about stats. It's about a special player that when you think of a team and especially that number, you think of that player. Hextall is a legend and not because of his stats but because of the way he played the game. His puck handling, his maniacal on ice demeanor, his goals, and so forth and so on. You can argue that guys like Howe and LeClair or Propp deserve it (and I'd be in agreement) but I can see arguments against them. With Hextall the only argument I can think of is that his stats aren't there, but like I said, that isn't what it is all about. It's about being a legend, and Hextall was (is) a legend. You ask a hockey fan who Mark Howe is and they may not know (or only know because he is Gordie Howe's son). You ask who John LeClair is and he may already be forgotten. No one forgets Hextall and that is the type of player who deserves to be up there IMO.
Many would argue that Reggie Leach deserves to have 27 retired before Hexy.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:57 PM
  #55
Shadeslayer813
Registered User
 
Shadeslayer813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Drum
Country: United States
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Gagne, whenever he retires

Shadeslayer813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:29 AM
  #56
Lomark
Registered User
 
Lomark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Eric Lindros #88

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:37 AM
  #57
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If you don't think Howe was the best player on all the mid 80's Flyer teams, you really DON'T get it.

He was every bit as good as all the others mentioned in that era: Bourque, Coffey, whoever. His exclusion from the HHOF is a huge injustice.
No he really wasn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:33 AM
  #58
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeslayer813 View Post
Gagne, whenever he retires
I thought he had...and I can think of 2 others #12's that are more deserving than Vagne...Dorny and Tim Kerr

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:34 AM
  #59
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
No he really wasn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

Howe was as good as those guys, as far as being a complete defenseman.

That he's not in the HHOF is a joke

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:49 AM
  #60
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,014
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
So I guess Shane Doan and Rick Nash are locks then?
I don't know...it's your standard. Are they?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:55 AM
  #61
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Many would argue that Reggie Leach deserves to have 27 retired before Hexy.
I could see that argument, but I think the number 27 is more associated with Hextall. Not that Leach wasn't a good player. I just think Hextall's accomplishments (Conn Smythe, the goal, most wins in Flyers history, etc) and the way he played the game is more deserving than Leach's career. Leach was on the team with the Clarkes and Parents of the world and he just isn't the type of player that when you say his name people remember him. WHen you say his name, most people (if they have even heard of him) would probably say, didn't he play with Clarke and Barber? The reason you retire a player's number is because that player's career was so memorable and legendary that you don't want another player wearing that number and overshadowing his accomplishments. Hextall is that type of player. Just for the sake of the argument, if he had won the Cup in his rookie year would anyone think he should be up there?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
  #62
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
No he really wasn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay, who was better?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:53 AM
  #63
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
LeClair had a great years here, but he doesn't deserve having his number retired. That needs to be reserved for somebody truly special. For example if Richie stays here his whole career and keeps getting his 70-80 point years he deserves to have his number retired in Philadelphia, but retiring numbers for individual teams isn't something that can be thrown around lightly.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:55 AM
  #64
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
LeClair had a great years here, but he doesn't deserve having his number retired. That needs to be reserved for somebody truly special. For example if Richie stays here his whole career and keeps getting his 70-80 point years he deserves to have his number retired in Philadelphia, but retiring numbers for individual teams isn't something that can be thrown around lightly.
It can't be. I think that HHOF induction is a valid criteria, but in the case of a guy like Mark Howe, and exception could easily be made.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
  #65
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
It can't be. I think that HHOF induction is a valid criteria, but in the case of a guy like Mark Howe, and exception could easily be made.
Mark Howe was before my time. But looking at his numbers I'm a bit confused on how he isn't in the HOF.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
  #66
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Mark Howe was before my time. But looking at his numbers I'm a bit confused on how he isn't in the HOF.
Howe was an elite two way defenseman in an era where there were guys that put up gaudy numbers offensively and dominated the Norris. Howe was an Olympian and started his career as a winger. He was a very good winger for years before moving to defense and becoming an elite level player.

His exclusion from the Hall is total BS

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
  #67
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Mark Howe was before my time. But looking at his numbers I'm a bit confused on how he isn't in the HOF.
WHA...

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
  #68
FlyersRKings
Registered User
 
FlyersRKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philly suburbs
Country: United States
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Desjardins? Lindbergh? I know the last one is a stretch considering he didn't play very long, but maybe just out of respect....

Just a thought.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:19 AM
  #69
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
WHA...
He played 16 seasons in the NHL and 6 in the WHA so I don't see how that is holding him out.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:55 AM
  #70
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
He played 16 seasons in the NHL and 6 in the WHA so I don't see how that is holding him out.
No, it's because the Hall voters are cheap and spiteful. Best 2 d-men not in the Hall, Howe and Tremblay. Both guys played extensive time in the WHA.

You do the math.

It's stupid and petty, but as I said, that could describe a lot of NHL operations.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
  #71
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,476
vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Mark Howe never played for a Canadian team so he will never be in the hall.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
  #72
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Chris Gratton!!!!

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:27 AM
  #73
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Hextall definitely does not deserve HHOF, but I wouldn't be against the concept of retiring his jersey just because of how much of a "true" Flyer he was.

That being said...at this point it's pretty clear that the organization is not going to retire anyone's number that doesn't win a Cup, and I kind of like that. The Flyers HoF is a nice way to recognize important players in the history of the franchise that don't achieve that standard.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
  #74
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hextall definitely does not deserve HHOF, but I wouldn't be against the concept of retiring his jersey just because of how much of a "true" Flyer he was.

That being said...at this point it's pretty clear that the organization is not going to retire anyone's number that doesn't win a Cup, and I kind of like that. The Flyers HoF is a nice way to recognize important players in the history of the franchise that don't achieve that standard.
I agree with you completely. Hextall definitely did not have the numbers to be in HOF but definitely had the legendary Flyers status to be hanging from the rafters. If the Flyers are reserving the rafters for Cup winners that is fine with me, but I'd still like to see Hextall (and maybe LeClair) memorialized.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:43 AM
  #75
IAN aka RYAN
Registered User
 
IAN aka RYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Del.Co. PA
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I agree with Mark Howe and his #2. I MIGHT say LeClair and his #10, but whatever. I dont want to end up like the Canadiens in 50 years who have almost every number between 1 and 30 retired.

I'm ok with keeping our retired #'s reserved for very few players.
I agree with being stringent on retiring #'s. Id would find it weird if anyone wore 88, like its been said already. That # would have been retired barring concussions, excommunications, and a cup.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.