HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

KOVALCHUK traded to the New Jersey Devils for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier & 1st rounder

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2010, 04:37 PM
  #51
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
what was the Gainey tag line... Expect the unexpected?

imagine Kovalchuk is on his way here. The deal is done, the only delay now is his agent negotiating with Gainey on an extension.

HA, this board, the city, would have a meltdown...


realistically though, I hope that he's heading to the western conference, and that Wadell ends up with a return marginally better than what he got for Hossa...

just please please please not the Bruins!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
  #52
foreverhabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Kind of like Hossa?
The names ventured aren"t Colby Armstrong , Erik Christensen,, and a 20Th overall pick called Angelo Esposito . In other words, spare parts.Get real.

foreverhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:39 PM
  #53
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Hey, if Toronto wants to empty their forward depth and their only non-Kaberle puck-mover for an overhyped defenseman and Boston wants to empty their futures for a rental, I say more power to them. I think the Habs need to retool this year anyway so, no skin off my back.
All the Leafs lost was garbage. And they got a superstar. If they trade Kaberle for a good forward, it's a bonus. Then they can hire a decent UFA this summer and got another forward. Suddenly, they look pretty good.

As for thr Habs, there are ways to give assets without sacrificing too much for a rental.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
  #54
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,464
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
you're not crazy.
problem is though, Kovalchuk is KHL bound next season because of the Salary cap in NHL.
He'll get 20M per, and no NHL team will be able/allowed to offer that... and big owners will start questionning the salary cap, right in time for a new debate about the CBA.
it might get ugly.
this post makes the most sense so far

its pretty clear kovalchuk is going to the KHL

let some other team blow their load on trying to get him, itll only hurt them down the road

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
  #55
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
All the Leafs lost was garbage. And they got a superstar. If they trade Kaberle for a good forward, it's a bonus. Then they can hire a decent UFA this summer and got another forward. Suddenly, they look pretty good.

As for thr Habs, there are ways to give assets without sacrificing too much for a rental.
Phaneuf a superstar? What the ****.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
  #56
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Kovalchuk is my favorite player in the league.

Call me crazy, but I offer:

Jaroslav Halak (I know, they have Pavelec but Lehtonen will likely be moved)
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Jaroslav Spacek
Yannick Weber

for

Kovalchuk
I'm going to call you crazy.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
  #57
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Kovalchuk is my favorite player in the league.

Call me crazy, but I offer:

Jaroslav Halak (I know, they have Pavelec but Lehtonen will likely be moved)
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Jaroslav Spacek
Yannick Weber

for

Kovalchuk
Heberg
Little
Armstrong
adjusted it a little for ya

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
  #58
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Phaneuf a superstar? What the ****.
He hits, he fight, a fantastic skater, great vision, an incredible slap shot. He has all the tools that anybody has ever wanted in a top defenseman. His growth hasn't been good in Calgary in the last year but he doesn't need much to be the league's best D for the next 10 to 15 years.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:48 PM
  #59
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
All the Leafs lost was garbage. And they got a superstar. If they trade Kaberle for a good forward, it's a bonus. Then they can hire a decent UFA this summer and got another forward. Suddenly, they look pretty good.

As for thr Habs, there are ways to give assets without sacrificing too much for a rental.
If the Habs can move a salary like Gomez's in the trade he could be possibly signed and not become the rental;

Gomez - Player can play now
Sergei Kostitsyn - Young player that play now
Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak - Goalie of the future and who can play now
Top Prospect - Leblanc or Weber
1st rounder

Kovalchuk
Armstrong
Pavelec

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:50 PM
  #60
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If the Habs can move a salary like Gomez's in the trade he could be possibly signed and not become the rental;

Gomez - Player can play now
Sergei Kostitsyn - Young player that play now
Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak - Goalie of the future and who can play now
Top Prospect - Leblanc or Weber
1st rounder

Kovalchuk
Armstrong
Pavelec
Also, just by moving Gomez, even if Kovalchuk doesn't re-sign, it's a bonus for the Habs as they get rid of the contract.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
  #61
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He hits, he fight, a fantastic skater, great vision, an incredible slap shot. He has all the tools that anybody has ever wanted in a top defenseman. His growth hasn't been good in Calgary in the last year but he doesn't need much to be the league's best D for the next 10 to 15 years.
He doesn't have the tools, he is a Souray clone. One dimensional player who has a shot, some edge but little common sense when it comes to play without the puck in his zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Also, just by moving Gomez, even if Kovalchuk doesn't re-sign, it's a bonus for the Habs as they get rid of the contract.
True.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
  #62
Lemons
Registered User
 
Lemons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Kovulchuk not on the same level as Crosby and Ovechkin ? PLEASE tell me that your ******** me.

Have you guys seen kovulchuk play ? He plays with the same fire that Ovechkin plays with, Hes not a lazy russian and has an extreme passion for winning. This guy can carry a team and make everyone around him better. Crosby's has had a team developped around him with the likes of Malkin and Gonchar... Ovechkin with Backstrom and Semin... Who the hell has Kovy played with post Savard? He'll still put up 40+ goals a year and bring in fans. If i were Gainey and the Molson bros, (Chances are extremely slim), i would make a strong pitch for a guy like him.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
  #63
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He doesn't have the tools, he is a Souray clone. One dimensional player who has a shot, some edge but little common sense when it comes to play without the puck in his zone.
He didn't have that problem early on in Calgary.

Comparing him to Sourey is laughable. Phaneuf is what I call a quaterback, he has everything and if his game gets fixed he has the potential to be another Bourque. Sourey doesn't take the puck and go gun blazing from one end to the other end of the ice like i've seen Phaneuf do. I've seen Phaneuf do that with one man on his back, treating him like he was an ant.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
  #64
MayorFord
Registered User
 
MayorFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: North Korea
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
he's going with the hawks book it. theyre gonna do what pitts did with hossa a few years ago. the deal helped them go to the stanley cup finals.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
  #65
Chomsky
Registered User
 
Chomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He hits, he fight, a fantastic skater, great vision, an incredible slap shot. He has all the tools that anybody has ever wanted in a top defenseman. His growth hasn't been good in Calgary in the last year but he doesn't need much to be the league's best D for the next 10 to 15 years.
A fantastic skater? what are you smoking? An incredible slapshot granted, but he can't hit the net nowadays. He has a lot of trouble defensively still and his offensive talent is getting a bit overrated around here. He has the tools to become a Jovo, but superstar like Nieds or Pronger? I doubt it.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
  #66
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
In 2007-08, the Penguins went to the cup finals with Marian Hossa who was acquired by Ray Shero from the Atlanta Thrashers. The deal was:

To Pittsburg:
Hossa
Dupuis

To Atlanta:
Armstrong
Christensen
Esposito (prospect)
1st round 08 : 29th overall = Daultan Leveillé

AS we all remember, Hossa was only a rental since he signed with Detroit afterward during the off season. Then so, by comparing to this trade, how about Montreal try to acquire Kovalchuk, who is much better than Hossa.

Proposal:

To Montreal:
Kovalchuk (UFA)
Brian Little(RFA '11) who is struggling this year.

To Atlanta:
Halak (RFA)
Pacioretty(better than Esposito)
Weber(we have Subban)
One of the K brothers.
1st round 2011 (weak draft .. Larsson and Couturier are the only interessing)
I like it in theory but how are we supposed to afford his salary without dumping any of ours? They'd have to take a contract like Hamr's back.

Halak
Hamr
Pacman
1st
I'm not sure they do that though.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
  #67
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He didn't have that problem early on in Calgary.

Comparing him to Sourey is laughable. Phaneuf is what I call a quaterback, he has everything and if his game gets fixed he has the potential to be another Bourque. Sourey doesn't take the puck and go gun blazing from one end to the other end of the ice like i've seen Phaneuf do. I've seen Phaneuf do that with one man on his back, treating him like he was an ant.
You can't have been watching his game or heard what the experts say of his game if you think he never had issues in his zone in Calgary...one of the main reasons he was left of the Olympic roster.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
  #68
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
If Gainey could trade for him, and sign him I think it would help in getting some Russian prospects over here and we have some good ones.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
  #69
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,841
vCash: 500
Dammit, since this summer everyone is saying Kovalchuk to Los Angeles for Frolov+

I'm starting to wonder if it's some kind of jokes.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
  #70
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
if you were interested in HOSSA id imagine you have to be interested in KOVALCHUK hey?


this time though instead of being the front runner, come in at the end.

live and learn

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
  #71
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
All the Leafs lost was garbage. And they got a superstar. If they trade Kaberle for a good forward, it's a bonus. Then they can hire a decent UFA this summer and got another forward. Suddenly, they look pretty good.

As for thr Habs, there are ways to give assets without sacrificing too much for a rental.
You realise the Leafs 1st and 2nd line centres have a combined like 3 goals right??

It's hard to win if you don't score. Danis' performance last night was horrendous so let's see what they can do against a goalie who wasn't playing his 3rd game of the year while sitting on the bench for every other.

All Burke has done is trade all his valuable picks for Kessel and take on $13M in salary that will prevent him from signing any meanigful UFA's. Brilliant!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
  #72
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
You can't have been watching his game or heard what the experts say of his game if you think he never had issues in his zone in Calgary...one of the main reasons he was left of the Olympic roster.
When defensemen are good offensively, it's a given that there will be problems defensively. Leetch was weak defensively but was producing a lot of points. To not choose him for Team Canada for that was far fetched.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
  #73
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
You realise the Leafs 1st and 2nd line centres have a combined like 3 goals right??

It's hard to win if you don't score. Danis' performance last night was horrendous so let's see what they can do against a goalie who wasn't playing his 3rd game of the year while sitting on the bench for every other.

All Burke has done is trade all his valuable picks for Kessel and take on $13M in salary that will prevent him from signing any meanigful UFA's. Brilliant!
I wouldn't have traded for Kessel as I've never liked that player. He always seemed the sort of flashy one dimensional player.

But what the Leafs lost was garbage in my opinion.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
  #74
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
A fantastic skater? what are you smoking? An incredible slapshot granted, but he can't hit the net nowadays. He has a lot of trouble defensively still and his offensive talent is getting a bit overrated around here. He has the tools to become a Jovo, but superstar like Nieds or Pronger? I doubt it.
It's like people thinks we are still in 2007

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
  #75
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
All the Leafs lost was garbage. And they got a superstar.
Phaneuf is a superstar in hype and salary only. The best player in the trade was actually Ian White, at least as far as this year is concerned. It's disingenious to call what the Leafs gave away "garbage". It's not necessarily a bad deal for the Leafs, but to call it one-sided is being blinded by Phaneuf's MONSTER hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If they trade Kaberle for a good forward, it's a bonus.
If the do that, they cripple their blueline. Kaberle is the only puck mover they have left. Their unit was already unbalanced before they traded a passer for a bruiser. And I think Burke might just be bruiser-obsessed enough to do it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.