HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Pittsburgh interested in Torres, Umberger?

Old
02-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
As it currently stands, Modin, MacKenzie, and Jurcina come off the books in addition to Torres. MacKenzie is unlikely to be re-signed to an NHL deal of any type, Modin would stick around only if he agreed to about an 80% pay cut, and Jurcina is on the fence.

The wild card ultimately is Filatov. If he's moved, and attempts will be made to gauge his value, then the return is going to be a top-pairing defenseman, which sort of scatters the projected blueline for next year (particularly with Moore getting a long look). Scott Howson isn't the type to make a move and sit pat; he's usually thinking two or three moves ahead in order to maximize what he's able to do.
Now that Hitchcock is gone do you really think a GM will trade away a first round pick that he himself decided was the best talent on the board at the time? Not to mention the kid has only played 20 NHL games!

No way Filatov gets traded now, no way in hell.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
As it currently stands, Modin, MacKenzie, and Jurcina come off the books in addition to Torres. MacKenzie is unlikely to be re-signed to an NHL deal of any type, Modin would stick around only if he agreed to about an 80% pay cut, and Jurcina is on the fence.

The wild card ultimately is Filatov. If he's moved, and attempts will be made to gauge his value, then the return is going to be a top-pairing defenseman, which sort of scatters the projected blueline for next year (particularly with Moore getting a long look). Scott Howson isn't the type to make a move and sit pat; he's usually thinking two or three moves ahead in order to maximize what he's able to do.
Look at our salary committed even with those guys coming off--$48 million with roster spots still to be filled and the issue you point on defense. Torres will not be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Our PP is finally putting it together the last few weeks, so I'm not sure if he would get on our top PP or not. Is he a net presence guy that gets in the goalies face? If so he could nudge out Cooke and Guerin for that spot.
Torres tends to get a lot of goals off rebounds and hanging out in the crease.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:29 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
He's bounced around. He's scored his goals with a fairly limited amount of ice time. Figure out how to get him regular PP time or put him in your top 6 and he could go down as one of the most underrated deadline deals of all time.
Our PP has been terrible this year, but finally is clicking the past few weeks. That's not to say he couldn't find a spot there, is he a front of the net guy?

Quote:
Torres and Hitchcock were more or less openly hostile toward each other, so it's entirely possible that recent developments have changed things.
Oh, interesting, that is good to know!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Now that Hitchcock is gone do you really think a GM will trade away a first round pick that he himself decided was the best talent on the board at the time? Not to mention the kid has only played 20 NHL games!

You mean a first-round pick who got lazy after all of 8 NHL games, pouted and sulked, played his way into the press box, and demanded to go back to Russia rather than Syracuse? If you want to hand over authority to a 19-year-old with obvious attitude problems, be my guest.

I don't remember Kris Russell whining and dividing a locker room over him being a healthy scratch into December, and he's in his third year. I don't remember Derick Brassard whining over getting fourth-line minutes when that's what his play warranted. I don't remember Steve Mason whining about being demoted to 1A and later to the #2 goalie. I don't remember Jakub Voracek whining over much of anything.

So at some point, anyone who's ever been in a position of authority would look at this and say, "The treatment of Filatov is no different than the treatment of this guy, this guy, this guy, and this guy. Why did everyone except Filatov get a bit of a chip on their shoulder and start playing the way that they're supposed to?"

Quote:
Look at our salary committed even with those guys coming off--$48 million with roster spots still to be filled and the issue you point on defense. Torres will not be back.
Again, you assume that there is one single move or two single moves that are unrelated to each other. There are literally hundreds of ways that this team can go that involve nearly every player on the roster, so the blanket assertion that "This player, who Scott Howson would love to re-sign, is gone as a simple matter of money" is inaccurate. Torres isn't going to be getting some huge UFA deal unless Martin Lapointe's agent comes along, takes over Torres' affairs, and is able to bend a team over a table to get a deal done.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
You mean a first-round pick who got lazy after all of 8 NHL games, pouted and sulked, played his way into the press box, and demanded to go back to Russia rather than Syracuse? If you want to hand over authority to a 19-year-old with obvious attitude problems, be my guest.

I don't remember Kris Russell whining and dividing a locker room over him being a healthy scratch into December, and he's in his third year. I don't remember Derick Brassard whining over getting fourth-line minutes when that's what his play warranted. I don't remember Steve Mason whining about being demoted to 1A and later to the #2 goalie. I don't remember Jakub Voracek whining over much of anything.

So at some point, anyone who's ever been in a position of authority would look at this and say, "The treatment of Filatov is no different than the treatment of this guy, this guy, this guy, and this guy. Why did everyone except Filatov get a bit of a chip on their shoulder and start playing the way that they're supposed to?"
He played in Syracuse for almost one full year and did his job; Hitchcock went out of his way to break the kid’s spirit imo. Whatever, that's old news now, in the end it's a big money business and at this point Filatov has a job and Hitchcock doesn't. We will see if he is traded to Pittsburgh or anyone else soon enough.

Old
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Again, you assume that there is one single move or two single moves that are unrelated to each other. There are literally hundreds of ways that this team can go that involve nearly every player on the roster, so the blanket assertion that "This player, who Scott Howson would love to re-sign, is gone as a simple matter of money" is inaccurate. Torres isn't going to be getting some huge UFA deal unless Martin Lapointe's agent comes along, takes over Torres' affairs, and is able to bend a team over a table to get a deal done.
Unless Howson moves money at the deadline just to make space for Torres he's gone. Teams typically don't take on salary at the deadline. Ergo, Torres is gone.

What evidence do you have that Howson would love to re-sign him? If he was really that in love with him, he'd have started talks about a contract extension by now.

The contract doesn't have to be huge to not fit in our budget. Getting what he has now would put us over the cap midpoint, so unless the salary cap goes up significantly (and no one has predicted that it will) Torres is as good as gone. Were it my choice, we'd spend more. But given the team's crying broke as it is, they aren't going to make a move that will cost them $14,000,000 in revenue sharing.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:49 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
dont trade Umberger to Pitts! If anything trade him back to the Flyers

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Palinka

Quote:
He played in Syracuse for almost one full year and did his job; Hitchcock went out of his way to break the kidís spirit imo. Whatever, that's old news now, in the end it's a big money business and at this point Filatov has a job and Hitchcock doesn't. We will see if he is traded to Pittsburgh or anyone else soon enough.
We can go back to the preseason, when all anyone either with the team or simply observing said the same thing to a man: "I didn't see Filatov do anything out there". That was in practice, in preseason games where he was given a good chunk of ice time, and into the early regular season. I emphasize this again: Filatov played his way down from the second line to the press box in barely a month. It had nothing to do with mind games, broken spirit, or anything else. It had to do with someone who walked into training camp with a superstar attitude and without the game to back it up. Period.

Quote:
Unless Howson moves money at the deadline just to make space for Torres he's gone. Teams typically don't take on salary at the deadline. Ergo, Torres is gone.

What evidence do you have that Howson would love to re-sign him? If he was really that in love with him, he'd have started talks about a contract extension by now.

The contract doesn't have to be huge to not fit in our budget. Getting what he has now would put us over the cap midpoint, so unless the salary cap goes up significantly (and no one has predicted that it will) Torres is as good as gone. Were it my choice, we'd spend more. But given the team's crying broke as it is, they aren't going to make a move that will cost them $14,000,000 in revenue sharing.
Considering the acrimony between Torres and Hitchcock, to go ahead and re-sign him by this point would have been tantamount to saying, "Ken, I don't give a damn what you think." Teams are successful when the coach and GM are on the same page, and although Howson may have regarded the issues between Hitchcock and Torres as being incredibly petty, he wasn't about to openly declare war on Hitchcock (which is exactly how it would have been perceived by Hitchcock and by a good chunk of the media covering the team).

To your first point, there's plenty of options that stand a good chance of happening before the deadline that go way beyond "Torres is gone" or "Modin is gone". My gut feeling is that someone will make an irresistible offer for Torres that will render all of this talk meaningless anyway.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
It had to do with someone who walked into training camp with a superstar attitude and without the game to back it up. Period.
He has the goods to back up intense confidence... When he played here last season few mentioned anything about his superstar attitudes, those seeds where planted and exacerbated by a few fans over the summer simply because he made it clear he was not going back to the AHL. Granted, not something a 19 year old should do but hardly a reason to think he was engorged with a self serving attitude of superstar status.

Old
02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Torres tends to get a lot of goals off rebounds and hanging out in the crease.
That's what we lack on the PP, so he would be a good fit there.

How's his skating?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 08:46 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

I'm not buying any rumors about Pittsburgh and Columbus... Not since the "Malone Rumors"....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

I agree sort of. He will be traded if someone overpays for him between now and next year. Otherwise, yes, he won't be traded just to be traded. I.E. He won't be traded because of our coach anymore.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote