HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

KOVALCHUK traded to the New Jersey Devils for Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier & 1st rounder

Old
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
Salary Cap could fit Kovalchuk if you were to give up the two K brothers and Spacek for this year... and not resign Mara for next year...

I'm sure if you get him here and there is a good chemistry with him and Pleky they would both take a one mil cut to play here... given Markov will be here for years to come too....

In two years the raise in Markov's paycheck will come from whatever Hamerlik's pay cut will be ....

Pouliot and one of our goalies will get a pay raise...

MAB very little...
You know, if we dumped Gomez's salary some how, we could probably get Kovalchuk re-signed long term (if he wants to play in the NHL)... Seeing as how he doesn't need a genuine center to score 40, you could just put Maxwell on the 2nd line with him and Maxwell would look amazing.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
Gainey made a mistake when he didn't go after Gaborik. I had this gut feeling he was going to have an injury free year. He had the problem corrected in the offseason.You want someone that can score/points close to Ovy numbers its Gaborik and he come cheaper.
What makes you think Gaborik would have wanted to play here. Cammalleri is the first and only big name UFA to sign here in years.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I'm talking about Kovy as a rental. Why would Wadell want Pleks who is going to be UFA? There's a limit to what Wadell can get for a rental. If it's a sign and trade, it's a completely different story, but that's never going to happen. I would not trade any core players for Kovy, but I would go with heavy prospects and drafts pics.
Well, too bad, because you wouldn't get him. Because he wouldn't fit under the cap, and Wadell has publicly said he's not interested in draft picks and/or prospects. He wants players who can help his team now.

Plekanec could be really interesting for a team like the Trashers. They would get the best centerman they had since Savard, and he wouldn't ask for a 10M contract like Kovalchuk.

You gotta give to get...

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Gainey made a mistake when he didn't go after Gaborik. I had this gut feeling he was going to have an injury free year. He had the problem corrected in the offseason.You want someone that can score/points close to Ovy numbers its Gaborik and he come cheaper.
Gaborik has a history of being injured. It was a risky move to tie up 7.5M on a guy like that. Then again, we have Gomez

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:13 PM
DeVries*

I'd see Boston giving Lucic+Krejci+TOR 1st for him. Damn it.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
My gut tells me Gainey got the best players he could get and that he did a great job considering what went out. Maybe you should try to inform yourself of what happened before saying people were "wrong" for not having done something.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
I hope to hell they do. It would cripple their franachise for years!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
You are damn right. Gabby was THE guy I though we'd get this summer with all that free cap money we had. Gainey ends up with Gomez and the second worst contract of the league... and for what, McDo who was supposed to be good and who was a 1st rounder.

To shutehinside : It's all about the $$$. We had the $$$ = money and cap space. The Rangers didn't. They were tied with Drury and Gomez and Redden. Gaborik went to the biggest paycheck, as almost any human would do. We had the room to give him the biggest paycheck, but we gave it away to Sather.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viau View Post
Not a chance in hell the Bruins do that trade....Never...

Bruin fans would hang their GM from the rafters if he pulled that trade and I wouldn't blame them........That would be a brutal trade for the Boston "In Ruins"..

Last edited by sheed36: 02-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.
sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
You are damn right. Gabby was THE guy I though we'd get this summer with all that free cap money we had. Gainey ends up with Gomez and the second worst contract of the league... and for what, McDo who was supposed to be good and who was a 1st rounder.

To shutehinside : It's all about the $$$. We had the $$$ = money and cap space. The Rangers didn't. They were tied with Drury and Gomez and Redden. Gaborik went to the biggest paycheck, as almost any human would do. We had the room to give him the biggest paycheck, but we gave it away to Sather.
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gaborik would have been a sexy line..

I think it came down to Cammalleri or Gaborik though, given that, I think we made the right choice... Sure Cammy is hurt now, but his history for injuries was next to nil especially when compared to Gaborik. Infact Bob McKenzie and I believe it was Ray Ferraro on the TSN Panel also said Cammalleri was the best UFA signing this summer.

Old
02-03-2010, 06:44 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
a big LOL at the Phaneuf bashing

23 years old D man with already three 50 pts season under his belt

capable of doing big hits

huge slap shot

only had 47 pts last year...start of the downfall !!

heading for 33 pts this year..world has come to and end hes a bust !!

ITS WAS ALLL HYPE!! ITS WAS ALLL HYPE!

look at Chris Pronger stats in his 3 first seasons!
look at Andrei Markov stats in his first 3 seasons!
look at Scott Niedermayer stats in his first 3 season! (he had only 33 pts in his 4th season btw)

wake up guys how the **** does HYPE explain all the great seasons Phaneuf already had ?

oh noes he had bad +/-...wich is one of the most useless stats in hockey..

me think you guys talk against Phaneuf only because he's a leafs

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
What makes you think Gaborik wanted to come to Montreal???

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
couris

Gaborik was going to LA or NYC.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post

huge slap shot

look at Scott Niedermayer stats in his first 3 season! (he had only 33 pts in his 4th season btw)

wake up guys how the **** does HYPE explain all the great seasons Phaneuf already had ?

Why the hell are people even bringing up Phaneuf in a Kovalchuk thread anyways, he doesn't even have anything to do with the topic or even our team for that matter?

Old
02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post

huge slap shot

I would think the same if he played anywhere in the league. And to say Niedermeyer stats were a reflection of his progression is incredibly inaccurate as it was the system he played in NJ. Any expert or even Niedermeyer himself would tell you he would have been a 60-70 point Dman in any other system.

Old
02-03-2010, 07:03 PM
havok78

This guy has been spot on for rumors, or close at least since i have followed him:

Right now i say the Flyers or Bruins have the best shot at landing Kovalchuk.

"Dont be suprised if Philly lands Kovalchuk" per a credible Flyers source...this is going to be a wild race!

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:04 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, you never know. If we could somehow lock him up for 10 years at 70 million. I'd do that in a second.
apparently, hes looking for 110 M for 10 years ... expect him more than any other player to test the market... his agent and him made it clear hes all about the money... the khl rumours we hear are reporting a 15m/20m salary PER SEASON.

dont get me wrong, Id defenitely put something on the table to get him, and I'd be willing to do it just to make sure if he ends up in our conference/division , the team getting him would have to overpay. there is always a chance asking 11m was a way for him to say thats what he wanted to ''stay in atlanta''... he might accept a lower offer to play where he wants to play ... so he's still worth the risk, but the offers we hear are just insane ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
I would think the same if he played anywhere in the league. And to say Niedermeyer stats were a reflection of his progression is incredibly inaccurate as it was the system he played in NJ. Any expert or even Niedermeyer himself would tell you he would have been a 60-70 point Dman in any other system.
it's not like the flames were an offensive powerhouse either when Phaneuf got there....

in his first 4 seasons he finished 3, 5, 4, 5 in scoring on the team.

conversely, Neidemayer was 9 (behind 2 other dmen, scott stevens and Bruce Driver), 7th, 8th, 5th in his first four seasons.

I really don't care for Phaneuf, but people are vastly exaggerating this "over-hyped" thing. Phaneuf earned his reputation by producing at an incredible level right from his first season in the league.

If anything, the "demise" of his reputation from a 'soon to be best in the league' to over-hyped "not going to be elite" type of player is what is out of touch with reality.

the kid is good, very good. Will he bounce back from the rut he's been in and get back to an quick improvement curve, only time (and his attitude/desire to get better) will tell, but he certainly has all the tools to be an elite dman for years to come.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If the Habs can move a salary like Gomez's in the trade he could be possibly signed and not become the rental;

Gomez - Player can play now
Sergei Kostitsyn - Young player that play now
Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak - Goalie of the future and who can play now
Top Prospect - Leblanc or Weber
1st rounder

Kovalchuk
Armstrong
Pavelec
kovalchuk is also my favorite player in the nhl and i would love to have him on our team... i know he isnt a superstar like crosby or toews or ovechkin that have great leadership skills, but we already have that with cammalleri and gionta so im not too worried about that...

if anyone says we dont have what it takes to trade for him (albeit signed to an extension) is blind... so atlanta wants players that could help them now right?

2 proposals:

price
hamrlik or spacek
pacioretty
sergei kostitsyn
dagostini
weber

for

kovalchuk
hedberg or pavelec or lehtonen (if healthy)

OR

halak
hamrlik or spacek
andrei kostitsyn
sergei kostitsyn
dagostini
weber

for

kovalchuk
any one of their healthy goalies

remember this is all for a SIGNED kovalchuk, one can only dream can he...

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Kovalchuk is my favorite player in the league.

Call me crazy, but I offer:

Jaroslav Halak (I know, they have Pavelec but Lehtonen will likely be moved)
Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Jaroslav Spacek
Yannick Weber

for

Kovalchuk
Yes please.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:09 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok78 View Post
This guy has been spot on for rumors, or close at least since i have followed him:

Right now i say the Flyers or Bruins have the best shot at landing Kovalchuk.

"Dont be suprised if Philly lands Kovalchuk" per a credible Flyers source...this is going to be a wild race!
im sick and tired of the flyers always landing the big available players in the nhl....

cant we for once be in the hunt and actually get to have one these players

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:15 PM
le_sean

It'll be the Bruins for sure.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
im sick and tired of the flyers always landing the big available players in the nhl....

Je suis, Mike Cammalleri.

Old
02-03-2010, 07:22 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post

They have a lot good young players like a Giroux or JVR to offer along with Carter and a pick.

Steep price for a rental as Philly wouldn't have cap to sign Kovy next year because of the Briere contract.

Old
02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gaborik would have been a sexy line..

I think it came down to Cammalleri or Gaborik though, given that, I think we made the right choice... Sure Cammy is hurt now, but his history for injuries was next to nil especially when compared to Gaborik. Infact Bob McKenzie and I believe it was Ray Ferraro on the TSN Panel also said Cammalleri was the best UFA signing this summer.
I like Cammalleri, but he's not in the same league as Gaborik. It's true that he had injury problems and that it was a risky move to sign him. I understand why Bob went this way. He chose the safe way. However, Cammalleri is not a guy who can carry your team. Gabby is.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote