HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens scouting Ponikarovsky

Old
01-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
This seems totally reasonable to me, but than again I'm a big fan of Boyes.

They will certainly be a nice trade partner for a couple different potential future Pens (Tkachuk, Kariya, etc.) if they keep playing like they have been the past two months.

They'll be selling the old studs on the farm and bring in yet a few more up and coming young stallions. That team is actually loaded with great young talent and I'm shocked that they aren't playing better this season.
Me too. But I think a lack of veteran grit with a winning pedigree like Kunitz is part of what's missing there, which might be why a deal like this could be attractive to them.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't do a straight up, but if I could get a Boyes, Cole, + package...I would have to think long and hard about that one.

If would fill two needs...winger and physical defenseman outside of Orpik.
If we were to consider dealing Staal - and I'm still pretty against it - we'd have to address the 3rd line center gap too.

Boyes, Cole, and McClement sounds intriguing.

Old
01-16-2010, 08:17 PM
kmillzy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
If we were to consider dealing Staal - and I'm still pretty against it - we'd have to address the 3rd line center gap too.

Boyes, Cole, and McClement sounds intriguing.
if you were proposing Staal for Boyes, Cole, and McClement, no way in hell St. Louis does that.

they'd want Staal and our 1st.. but with that said, it does 'sound intriguing'.

kmillzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 08:24 PM
JTG

I'd probably do that deal. Talbot can't fill Staal's shoes by any means, but I think he would do a pretty good job. I think Jeffrey will be a good 3rd line center in this league too.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno1271 View Post
if you were proposing Staal for Boyes, Cole, and McClement, no way in hell St. Louis does that.

they'd want Staal and our 1st.. but with that said, it does 'sound intriguing'.
Oh well. They could walk and keep losing, and we could keep Staal and keep winning. I'd prefer to keep JS anyway.

That's the beauty of dealing from a position of strength.

Old
01-16-2010, 09:37 PM
WVP

I had always considered something like Staal for Backes + scoring winger, with Backes anchoring our 3rd line and punching dudes in the head.

But Backes has been a winger almost exclusively in the NHL (although he's been at center lately). And his play has exceeded the framework of that deal.

Last edited by WVP: 01-16-2010 at 09:45 PM.
WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:59 PM
kmillzy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I had always considered something like Staal for Backes + scoring winger, with Backes anchoring our 3rd line and punching dudes in the head.

But Backes has been a winger almost exclusively in the NHL (although he's been at center lately). And his play has exceeded the framework of that deal.
Staal for Backes + a scoring winger was a possibility... until NHL.com made Backes into an "American Hero." We would have to throw in a 2nd

Old
01-16-2010, 10:07 PM
WVP

Quote:
Staal for Backes + a scoring winger was a possibility... until NHL.com made Backes into an "American Hero." We would have to throw in a 2nd
Haha, and 30 goal seasons don't hurt either. I would guess their values are fairly similar at this point.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:25 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
You're 100% right, but this is the type of package it would take for Shero to think about giving Staal up.

As much of a crush as I've started to develop for Staal all of the sudden, I think this is a slam dunk for the Pens and we would have to do it.

Who cares if the Blues like it or not? They're in no position to turn away a supposed star center with upside that seems limitless.

Right?

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 10:30 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Me too. But I think a lack of veteran grit with a winning pedigree like Kunitz is part of what's missing there, which might be why a deal like this could be attractive to them.
One would think that a guy like Tkachuk would be lighting fires under collective butts for the Blues.

He's a seasoned vet and a Team USA banger from way back, but then again this may sound harsh but from an NHL perspective he's never done much, as far as winning I mean. Stats wise he's a monster, but from a "I've got rings standpoint", he has none.

A guy like Kunitz has been there and done that with 2 different teams already and would be a welcome addition to a team full of young studs that doesn't know quite how to put it all together.

Just for fun: Kunitz and Staal for Boyes, Cole, McClement, a 1st in 10' and a 3rd (not 2nd) in 11'. Liking the sound of that, especially with the high pick the Blues will have this year.

Old
01-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
One would think that a guy like Tkachuk would be lighting fires under collective butts for the Blues.

He's a seasoned vet and a Team USA banger from way back, but then again this may sound harsh but from an NHL perspective he's never done much, as far as winning I mean. Stats wise he's a monster, but from a "I've got rings standpoint", he has none.

A guy like Kunitz has been there and done that with 2 different teams already and would be a welcome addition to a team full of young studs that doesn't know quite how to put it all together.

Just for fun: Kunitz and Staal for Boyes, Cole, McClement, a 1st in 10' and a 3rd (not 2nd) in 11'. Liking the sound of that, especially with the high pick the Blues will have this year.
There's no way you include Staal and Kunitz in a package. That's over-the-top.

We don't need draft picks that badly, and we certainly don't need to start dismantling a Cup-winner to get them.

Old
01-17-2010, 12:12 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Poni for Crosby. Why not?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Jag68Sid87

So this thread has turned into another "trade Staal" disaster. Fantabulous.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Gooch

As with most trade for winger threads it always comes down to a Staal thread.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:10 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
There's no way you include Staal and Kunitz in a package. That's over-the-top.

We don't need draft picks that badly, and we certainly don't need to start dismantling a Cup-winner to get them.
Yeah I know.

I just got carried away with the idea of taking pieces away from a floundering team. In reality, any trade that Shero makes now or at the deadline is bound to be minimal, no matter how bad Geno and our PP collectively play up to that point.

This team won the Stanley Cup last season, save for a few new guys and any moves that will be made are likely to be for another Adams or Rupp type of guy.

New, shiny winger to play with either Sid or Geno? I doubt it...

Old
01-17-2010, 09:12 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So this thread has turned into another "trade Staal" disaster. Fantabulous.
Funny how that always seems to happen, huh?

I'm no longer for trading Staal, unless there's significant overpayment on somebody's part. I'm thinking that Shero has always taken this stance.

Talking about Poni just got boring...

Old
01-17-2010, 12:40 PM
JTG

Quote:
Funny how that always seems to happen, huh?

I'm no longer for trading Staal, unless there's significant overpayment on somebody's part. I'm thinking that Shero has always taken this stance.

Talking about Poni just got boring...
I think the only way Staal gets traded is if it is a deal with brings 3 pieces back - goal scoring winger, physical defenseman, and a two way center.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think the only way Staal gets traded is if it is a deal with brings 3 pieces back - goal scoring winger, physical defenseman, and a two way center.
Never been a fan of those deals where the best player involved is the one we're trading away. That sounds more like a Pittsburgh Pirates move than what we should be doing.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Never been a fan of those deals where the best player involved is the one we're trading away. That sounds more like a Pittsburgh Pirates move than what we should be doing.
The Pirates would have already traded Staal straight up for a prospect since he was going to get 4 million. Then we would have got to hear Neal Huntington come to the podium and blab about how we traded Staal and acquired something like a major league ready D-Man with the best first pass in the system. Glad the Pens aren't the Pirates.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
kmillzy5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The Pirates would have already traded Staal straight up for a prospect since he was going to get 4 million. Then we would have got to hear Neal Huntington come to the podium and blab about how we traded Staal and acquired something like a major league ready D-Man with the best first pass in the system. Glad the Pens aren't the Pirates.
Pirate trade: Staal to NYI for Jon Sim, Radek Martinek , and a 3rd round pick.

Scouting report:
-Jon Sim was born in Nova Scotia, so adapting to the cold Pittsburgh weather will not be problem for him. Jon also looks forward to playing with Craig Adams.
-Radek Martinek says hes never been to Pittsburgh, but he does own an autographed Rob Rossi 8x10 photo. Radek also says hes very exited to meet 'Iceburgh' .

Old
01-17-2010, 05:11 PM
moonknight31

as long as we dont overpay for him i think he upgrades or top 6 by a bit

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:06 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonknight31 View Post
as long as we dont overpay for him i think he upgrades or top 6 by a bit
And that's the long and the short of it. Poni is solid in all areas. He's pretty good on the forecheck and cycling the puck. He is responsible defensively and can kill penalties. He's not the sniper that we all want but he brings a lot of good qualities and would be a positive addition to the team IMO.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
gafel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Poni would be a great addition to the Pens.

He's always working, is very defensively responsible. Earlier in the season when the Leafs were really bad he was leading the team in +/-, and for a while was our only positive +/- player.

He'll stand in front of the net, go behind it and dig in the corners.

Not physical in the sense he'll initiate the hits, but he is not afraid to use his 6'4 220 frame to his advantage.

I think Tangradi for Poni would be too much, as would Depres, although the Leafs lack defensive prospects aside from Blacker.

Caputi would maybe be a good alternative coming back the other way. Toronto native, power forward who goes to the net, exactly what Burke covets.
I agree, I would really like to see Ponko come to the Pens. I feel the reason he's streaky is because he plays lazy for the Leafs from time to time, which I would as well if I was playing on the Leafs (no offense, Leaf fans). He would not play lazy with the Pittsburgh Penguins on a line with Malkin centering him. Or, as of late a line of Malkin-Staal-Ponko.

I'd take Ponko any day of the week for us. Him coming here would spark the hell out of him as well. Plus, Malkin needs a big guy with net presence. He misses Ryan Malone hard. Ponko = win.

gafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:32 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafel View Post
I agree, I would really like to see Ponko come to the Pens. I feel the reason he's streaky is because he plays lazy for the Leafs from time to time, which I would as well if I was playing on the Leafs (no offense, Leaf fans). He would not play lazy with the Pittsburgh Penguins on a line with Malkin centering him. Or, as of late a line of Malkin-Staal-Ponko.

I'd take Ponko any day of the week for us. Him coming here would spark the hell out of him as well. Plus, Malkin needs a big guy with net presence. He misses Ryan Malone hard. Ponko = win.
Ponko is a rubbish nickname though.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 08:36 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Ponko is a rubbish nickname though.
I prefer poncho myself, atleast a poncho can be somewhat usefull...WTF is a ponko?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote